Android TV Box

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ordered yesterday and got my MiBox S today.

One thing to clarify: If I go to Settings - Device Preferences - About, the model says "MIBOX4"
On the packaging it is "Mi Box 5" and sticker it is "MDZ-22-AB"
Model no. under the box is "MDZ-22-AB".

Is it normal?

normal, except the one in RED

any photos to show?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ordered yesterday and got my MiBox S today.

One thing to clarify: If I go to Settings - Device Preferences - About, the model says "MIBOX4"
On the packaging it is "Mi Box 5" and sticker it is "MDZ-22-AB"
Model no. under the box is "MDZ-22-AB".

Is it normal?

Yes this is normal.

Packaging should say "Mi Box S". Most important is model number MDZ-22-AB.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From Zidoo Facebook ads, for those who are interested in high end media player which can play high bit rate Blu-ray rip and lossless audio.

RTD1619DR series is coming.
With Dolby Vision, HDR10+, Roon Ready, Spotify, WOL…
Know more: https://bit.ly/3jDGTd9

magixz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Flashed ATV experience on my x96 mini... Horrible. Super limited play store got nothing, sideload things n they dun appear too, going back to good old mobile version.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 9S using GAGT

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Flashed ATV experience on my x96 mini... Horrible. Super limited play store got nothing, sideload things n they dun appear too, going back to good old mobile version.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 9S using GAGT

It is not so useful to run Android TV OS for non certified box like X96 Mini, because you do not get the main benefit like Google Cast function. And I think you will also not be able to run apps like SingTel Cast, SingTel TV Go and TVB Anywhere+ (TV version).

On the other hand, what you have said can be easily sorted out.
1) no problem to side load apps

2) just install Sideload Launcher or other utility to show those apps.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can shut down T9 android box with just the mouse ? thanks.

Do they have the status bar with power off option? If not then you can not do that. Very few generic no brand boxes offer this feature though.

Kennedy

Master Member
Reaction score
Do they have the status bar with power off option? If not then you can not do that. Very few generic no brand boxes offer this feature though.

I think no. thought that mouse "power off" can be enabled from settings.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Review of Mi TV Stick 1080p, even though it has only 1GB RAM, it seems to be smooth. Again, Netflix 1080p, Chromecast function and Google Voice Assistant are its main advantage. Portability is probably another advantage but take note you still need to power it with the adapter.

If you are not satisfied with 1080p, wait for the 4k version.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
More detailed review. Including how to cool it down by opening it up if you want to tax the poor stick with gaming or benchmarking (not recommended).

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
himedia S500 about $80

certified android tv os with netflix 4k support

faster than mibox s , with 2 usb , dualband wifi and ethernet

http://www.himediatech.com/prod_view.aspx?TypeId=27&Id=174&FId=t3:27:3

https://www.myhdplayer.de/Himedia-S500-4K-Ultra-HD-Android-TV-Box

HiMedia S500 can be an interesting upgrade from Mi Box S, with faster HiSilicon CPU, 2GB RAM and 8GB Storage, 2x USB 2.0 ports and 100Mbps Ethernet.

Unfortunately the Youtube reviews are mostly in Thai or Vietnamese. The following is not a real review.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Beelink high end box GS King X review, with NAS function and cam dual boot with CoreELEC, powered by Amlogic S922X-H CPU.

Interesting features include root switch and screen rotation capability. It also handles GeForceNow Game Streaming services well.

But it is not an Nvidia Shield TV killer, no chance, as it lacks Netflix HD support and lacks the Chromecast function.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Lon.tv review of the Mi TV Stick 1080p version. He even runs N64 emulator on it (some frame drop). A bit too much for the poor stick.

vickyboi

Reaction score
What is a good recommendation for a Nvidia Shield Killer?

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A6010 using GAGT

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.