www.hardwarezone.com.sg


www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Tech Show Central (PC Show 2019) (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-show-central-pc-show-2019-394/)
-   -   Android TV Box (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-show-central-pc-show-2019-394/android-tv-box-5678618.html)

cyberazi 24-11-2018 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xiaofan (Post 117761623)
1: Minix is a good brand but this model is too old running Android 5 which is too old. Android 6 should be the minimum Android version to go

2. This is a generic box and the major weakness is the 1GB/8GB spec, 1GB memory can be the limiting factor and 2GB box can be have at same or lower cost

3. This is a popular box and should be good enough for use. Tanix TX3 Max is probably slightly better and you can have it at similar price.

Android TV Box selection will depend on your usage patterns and expectations.

1) Brand
Nvidia, >
Xiaomi, Minix, Zidoo >
Beelink >
Meecool, Tanix, etc >
Generic no brand

2) Android version: Official Android TV or Mobile version of Android, Version

Official Android TV >
Normal Android 6/7/8>
Android 5 > (do not buy)
Android 4.4 (do not buy)

Note: Android 8/8.1 may not be better than 7.1 for now

3) CPU
All of the following are okay but RK3399 Box is pricey and not needed in general. Lowest S905W is good enough for most us

RK3399/RK3328
Amlogic S912/S905X2/S905X/S905W
Allwinner H6

4) Memory
2GB minimum recommend unless you budget <S$30

5) Storage
8GB minimum, 16GB and above are good enough

6) Ethernet and WiFi
Gigabit Ethernet is better than 100M but not that important

Dual band wifi is better than 2.4GHz but in general try to use Ethernet connection

7) USB
USB 3.0 is better than USB 2.0 but not so important for majority of the use cases

8) Bluetooth
Nice to have if you want Bluetooth controller

8) SD/uSD card support
Nice to have

so have anyone tried the
Model: H96 MAX+
OS: Android 8.1
CPU: RK3328 Quad-Core 64bit Cortex-A53
GPU: Penta-Core Mali-450 Up to 750Mhz+
RAM: 4GB DDR3
ROM: 32/64GB EMMC
High Definition video output: 4K (4096x2160 pixel )

xiaofan 24-11-2018 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberazi (Post 117762934)
so have anyone tried the
Model: H96 MAX+
OS: Android 8.1
CPU: RK3328 Quad-Core 64bit Cortex-A53
GPU: Penta-Core Mali-450 Up to 750Mhz+
RAM: 4GB DDR3
ROM: 32/64GB EMMC
High Definition video output: 4K (4096x2160 pixel )

I have the older version with Android 7.1 and I have no issues with it.

But it is a generic brand so YMMV, not recommended for inexperienced buyer.

In term of CPU features, it is more powerful than S905W, on par with S905X, less powerful than S912 and H6.

At its price range, Amlogic S912 boxes with 3GB/32GB may be better. Or Mi Box and Mi Box S.

xiaofan 24-11-2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgenex (Post 117762477)
Hey thanks alot for the detailed reply! :) Does most of the box come with Google Play Store installed?

Yes all boxes should come with Google Play Store unless you buy those meant for Chinese market like Mi 3/3c/3 enhanced/4/4c (as well as Mi TV). Do not buy these Mi China versions even if they have hacked version of Google Play Store installed.

Edit to add:

Mi Box 4 is not Mi Box S.
Mi Box 3 is not Mi Box.

Only Mi Box and Mi Box S (Global Version ) are using official Android TV OS certified by Google and has official Android TV version of Play Store.

Mi Box 3, 3c, 3 Enhanced, 4, 4c are for mainland China market and they do not have Play Store and no certified DRM to run Netflix HD even if you manage to install mobile phone version of Google Play service/Play Store. They also have quite some advertising which you need to root the box to get rid of. Do not buy them for use here. Actually by Chinese law, they may be required to update FW to get rid the unauthorised apps (but probably not really enforced strictly).

Same goes to Mi TV. Worse is that there is no way to root as of now and no easy way to install Google Play service on Mi TV.

dgenex 24-11-2018 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xiaofan (Post 117763844)
Yes all boxes should come with Google Play Store unless you buy those meant for Chinese market like Mi 3/3c/3 enhanced/4/4c (as well as Mi TV). Do not buy these Mi China versions even if they have hacked version of Google Play Store installed.

Edit to add:

Mi Box 4 is not Mi Box S.
Mi Box 3 is not Mi Box.

Only Mi Box and Mi Box S (Global Version ) are using official Android TV OS certified by Google and has official Android TV version of Play Store.

Mi Box 3, 3c, 3 Enhanced, 4, 4c are for mainland China market and they do not have Play Store and no certified DRM to run Netflix HD even if you manage to install mobile phone version of Google Play service/Play Store. They also have quite some advertising which you need to root the box to get rid of. Do not buy them for use here. Actually by Chinese law, they may be required to update FW to get rid the unauthorised apps (but probably not really enforced strictly).

Same goes to Mi TV. Worse is that there is no way to root as of now and no easy way to install Google Play service on Mi TV.

Thanks alot! Will take a look and decide which box to buy.

Also, for watching US Sports channel, is using a VPN required?

xiaofan 24-11-2018 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgenex (Post 117764473)
Thanks alot! Will take a look and decide which box to buy.

Also, for watching US Sports channel, is using a VPN required?

You can check the recommendation in Facebook group “New TV Box SG” for recommendation of apps before going the VPN route.

cyberazi 24-11-2018 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xiaofan (Post 117763844)
Yes all boxes should come with Google Play Store unless you buy those meant for Chinese market like Mi 3/3c/3 enhanced/4/4c (as well as Mi TV). Do not buy these Mi China versions even if they have hacked version of Google Play Store installed.

Edit to add:

Mi Box 4 is not Mi Box S.
Mi Box 3 is not Mi Box.

Only Mi Box and Mi Box S (Global Version ) are using official Android TV OS certified by Google and has official Android TV version of Play Store.

Mi Box 3, 3c, 3 Enhanced, 4, 4c are for mainland China market and they do not have Play Store and no certified DRM to run Netflix HD even if you manage to install mobile phone version of Google Play service/Play Store. They also have quite some advertising which you need to root the box to get rid of. Do not buy them for use here. Actually by Chinese law, they may be required to update FW to get rid the unauthorised apps (but probably not really enforced strictly).

Same goes to Mi TV. Worse is that there is no way to root as of now and no easy way to install Google Play service on Mi TV.

The mi box and mi box s are 2gb ram its laggy as ****..

xiaofan 24-11-2018 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberazi (Post 117765398)
The mi box and mi box s are 2gb ram its laggy as ****..

That depends on what you are running, S905X CPU and 2GB RAM is good enough for Streaming, even 4K streaming. 8GB storage is a bit small but manageable if you do not install many apps and you do not need many apps for Android TV box anyway.

If you are mainly using Kodi, do not buy Mi Box. Better buy S912 3GB/32GB version or even RK3399 Box. Or Nvidia Shield TV.

dgenex 24-11-2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xiaofan (Post 117765697)
That depends on what you are running, S905X CPU and 2GB RAM is good enough for Streaming, even 4K streaming. 8GB storage is a bit small but manageable if you do not install many apps and you do not need many apps for Android TV box anyway.

If you are mainly using Kodi, do not buy Mi Box. Better buy S912 3GB/32GB version or even RK3399 Box. Or Nvidia Shield TV.

I saw Mecool was one of the brands you listed, would the Mecool M8S Pro L be a good box to start with?

https://www.lazada.sg/products/mecoo...AJCYT&search=1

gregory_choo 24-11-2018 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberazi (Post 117765398)
The mi box and mi box s are 2gb ram its laggy as ****..

this is a good example of talking sh!t.

xiaofan 24-11-2018 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgenex (Post 117765987)
I saw Mecool was one of the brands you listed, would the Mecool M8S Pro L be a good box to start with?

https://www.lazada.sg/products/mecoo...AJCYT&search=1

Should be a good start, build quality will be so so and it runs an unofficial Android TV OS, no Chromecast, YouTube 4K yes, Netflix HD is not true as claimed since I believe Netflix blocked unofficial Android TV already. If you need Netflix go to Mi Box, Mi Box S or Nvidia Shield TV.

Still it should be a pretty good box to start and it is one of the more popular S912 based boxes.

5star_pundit 24-11-2018 01:54 PM

any black friday sale ???

xiaofan 24-11-2018 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5star_pundit (Post 117766793)
any black friday sale ???

This one for Nvidia Shield TV?
https://www.androidheadlines.com/201...iday-2018.html

Nvidia Shield TV with remote and game controller at US$159

And this one for Mi Box S at US$50

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/1...gle-home-mini/

Edit to add: more offers for all current models of Amazon Fire TV

https://www.androidauthority.com/bla...eals-2-925677/

5star_pundit 24-11-2018 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xiaofan (Post 117766860)
This one for Nvidia Shield TV?
https://www.androidheadlines.com/201...iday-2018.html

Nvidia Shield TV with remote and game controller at US$159

can play what game ha ?

xiaofan 24-11-2018 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5star_pundit (Post 117766902)
can play what game ha ?

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/games/

GeForce now is free.

5star_pundit 24-11-2018 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xiaofan (Post 117766971)

no tks i playing tomb raider on my $5000 pc better got dolby atmos sound effects


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © SPH Magazines Pte Ltd. All rights reserved.