HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree450Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #886

The thing with these kinds of boxes require some technical skills. Be it by choosing which SOC better or what apps to sideload. If u find these too hard, then those android boxes aren't for u.

There is no easy way to get pirate streams. U have to constantly be one step ahead of the game and have an alternative when the apps u use got banned.
squarepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 02:39 PM   #887

Dangbei Market has quite some apps geared toward Chinese Entertainment. Shafa market is another app market.
SHaKuA likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 01-01-2019 at 08:14 PM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 04:22 PM   #888

Any recommendations on which box to look at for streaming content? Saw some ads on facebook ads on facebook for X11, A95X, Magic box etc. How about like U Pro from unblock tech?

I'm a noob will need some guidance, thank you!
For new users Mi Box global version (Mi Box and Mi Box S) is a better bet than generic box like A95X. If you are very low on the budget then buy cheaper brand like Tanix TX3 Mini or TX3 Max which are between S$40-50.

And do not buy fully loaded box like Magic X. The HW costs less than S$50 (lousy RK3229 based box) and yet they charge over S$200 for the box by adding some dubious apps.
https://shopee.sg/Magic-X-Tv-Box-i.12078788.1174129821
Old 27-12-2018, 07:42 PM   #889

Chat姐姐’s review on new generic S905X2 based H96 Max X2, in Chinese.

Conclusion: not recommended

BTW you may want to subscribe to her channel for reviews of Android TV boxes and Apps. She is based in Malaysia.
Old 27-12-2018, 07:54 PM   #890

Chat姐姐’s review on new Amlogic S905Y2 (no Ethernet compared to S905X2) based generic Android TV box. Seems to be a decent box. HW spec is better than Mi Box S. The review also mentioned better WiFi speed than Mi Box.

But for new users, Mi Box S is probably a better choice due to official Google certified Android TV os and better brand name.
Old 27-12-2018, 10:55 PM   #891

A95XR2

Hi

Sorry to hijack if anyone interested to buy my unused A95XR2 pm please. My dad buy and we have never used.
gascon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 01:11 AM   #892

For new users Mi Box global version (Mi Box and Mi Box S) is a better bet than generic box like A95X. If you are very low on the budget then buy cheaper brand like Tanix TX3 Mini or TX3 Max which are between S$40-50.

And do not buy fully loaded box like Magic X. The HW costs less than S$50 (lousy RK3229 based box) and yet they charge over S$200 for the box by adding some dubious apps.
Hi Bro, thank you for the advise. Actually I'm not a techie, I just hope to buy an android box that can last me like 5 years? There is a spread sheet link indicating that NVDIA Shield is the top in teams of specs pricing highest, then H96 Max, X99 and 6th place is A95X Plus. I have no idea how the ranking was done.
SHaKuA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 01:12 AM   #893

If they cost under $40 then buy. Else buy from taobao or AliExpress. Apps go install yourself. Not that hard since I believe u have a smartphone and can install apps yourself without help?
Yea, should be ok. What apps to install that would be the challenge would it be right to say it's basically like a mini PC but using Android as a platform, skew for TV streaming purposes?
SHaKuA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 07:18 AM   #894
Master Member

Hi Bro, thank you for the advise. Actually I'm not a techie, I just hope to buy an android box that can last me like 5 years? There is a spread sheet link indicating that NVDIA Shield is the top in teams of specs pricing highest, then H96 Max, X99 and 6th place is A95X Plus. I have no idea how the ranking was done.
ignore the ranking, that guy did that to confuse people.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 08:10 AM   #895

Ignore the ranking. Rather use it as a feature comparison.

For the purpose of streaming content, nothing beat Mi Box and Mi Box S in terms of price performance ratio. Netflix 4K and YouTube 4K and Chromecast 4K built-in, no generic Android TV boxes can do Netflix 4K and none of them will have Chromecast feature built-in.

If you can pay and you want to play some games offered by Nvidia Shield TV, then buy the Shield TV.

As for 5 years longevity, hard to say now. Normal Android phones do not last for 5 years anyway.
Old 28-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #896

Yea, should be ok. What apps to install that would be the challenge would it be right to say it's basically like a mini PC but using Android as a platform, skew for TV streaming purposes?
Treat it like Android phone/tablet without the display.

You can say it is a mini PC as well but I think Android is not a good OS for Mini PC, generic Linux or Chrome OS is better. Windows Mini PC is also better.
SHaKuA likes this.
Old 28-12-2018, 09:23 AM   #897
Arch-Supremacy Member

Ignore the ranking. Rather use it as a feature comparison.

For the purpose of streaming content, nothing beat Mi Box and Mi Box S in terms of price performance ratio. Netflix 4K and YouTube 4K and Chromecast 4K built-in, no generic Android TV boxes can do Netflix 4K and none of them will have Chromecast feature built-in.

If you can pay and you want to play some games offered by Nvidia Shield TV, then buy the Shield TV.

As for 5 years longevity, hard to say now. Normal Android phones do not last for 5 years anyway.
Never believe such ranking.
I think user should look around and find the box he think is best. No one can say how long a device can last. That day i almost got con into buying red bean TV box as the sales girl look quite ok.
SHaKuA likes this.

Last edited by Henry Ng; 28-12-2018 at 09:26 AM..
Henry Ng is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 05:26 PM   #898
Master Member

I was looking at the mi box, but realized there's no hard quite connection. Can I check if there's one that can do Netflix at least FHD, and hardwired Lan connection?

Thanks
zephyr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 06:26 PM   #899

I was looking at the mi box, but realized there's no hard quite connection. Can I check if there's one that can do Netflix at least FHD, and hardwired Lan connection?

Thanks
You can buy the Ethernet adapter for Mi Box S.

Nvidia Shield TV got Ethernet connection and support Netflix 4K. That is probably another choice.

To support Netflix HD/FHD/4K, you need certification from Netflix. Some boxes claim to support Netflix FHD through hacks but soon Netflix would soon plug the hole.

Or you can go with Amazon Cube or Apple TV 4K.
zephyr11 likes this.
Old 28-12-2018, 06:37 PM   #900
Master Member

Thanks
mibox has good wifi. I can get 300Mbps.

For netflix 4k, you need only 25Mbps.

for FHD 5-8Mbps is enough.
zephyr11 likes this.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.