[Guide] Printers - Some things you might want to take note of

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Please answer this ! :)

You have to look at the cost.

In conventional laser printers, Drums and Toners are separate entities, i.e. to say that after 3 - 6 toner replacements would that you would then require 1 drum replacement. In some sense, it might be cheaper.

A couple of formulas i typically use to calculate my costs are as follows -

Formula 1:
Toner cost / Toner yield (how many pages it can print) to get cost per page.

Formula 2:
Assumption: 5 toner changes = 1 drum change.
5 x toner cost + 1 drum cost / Total yield (yield of 5 toners)

For your case, if you were to pick an integrated toner and drum - use formula 1. Then compare it with formula 2 for the same page yield for a separate toner - drum printer

hope this helps :)

joesph

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hwz got an advertorial article on epson ink tanks inkjet printers that prints super super cheap but i've not used!

super365

Master Member
Reaction score
no!!! u can just manually print both side.... u just need to flip stack of paper later and insert again.... software can do it easily

so... u dont really need duplex ready printer...

Technically, yes that's one way to do it if you do not have a duplex printer. You are right! :) This is the method done before duplex was introduced to the mass market and when the technology for it was expensive.

In my view if you are a low mileage printer who mostly prints a couple of pages a time, single sided. This can be a way to go.

For users and students who print, the convenience of having a duplex function is worth the couple of $10s of dollars extra spent.

It a hassle to do it though especially for a stack of printings 20 to 50 pages thick especially when you are printing 4 x 4 pdf / powerpoint slides. Orientation and order of pages would then be something one has to consider.

Thanks for your point of view alamakazim! Could you suggest the software that you are using for it? I will reflect it on the faq.

Cheers!

Hi Houdini9. I have a humble opinion to make.
1. If cost is your concern, go for the Epson Ink Tank because it only cost $10 per bottle and can print 5000 pages. They also sell full mono printer. No Duplex though.
2. If duplex is needed, then no ink tank in the market is able to cater for your need yet. You may really need to look at Laser version.

What duplex software can work for canon ink tank printers?
Even with duplex software I guess also need to manually flip since the ink head is only one side of the printer that meant to be single side printing, correct me if I am wrong.

super365

Master Member
Reaction score
Adding to that, you may also want to consider digital. Ever since I bought my tablet many years ago until now, it has been saving me years of printing. I haven't been printing unless is necessary like dealing with government forms, etc.

Why you bought tablet then no need to print? If reading pdf I guess read on PC same as tablet.

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Here's our article on its features, functionality and differences between their models:-
https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/fea...aller-print-faster-and-sport-neater-integrate

We also ran an advertorial where we gathered feedback from a few end-users where Epson loaned the printer:-
https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tec...ng-about-new-epson-l-series-ink-tank-printers

We also conducted a shootout in the magazine, and the Epson candidate is our pick, and thus our Tech Awards winner too. Here's a summary of how we ranked it against competitors:-
https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/fea...choice-part-2/best-aio-color-inkjet-printer-6

But as with all ink tank printers, if you don't print regularly, it's not an ideal investment.

And no, it's not kelong. If it's good, it's good - we don't mince our words and we take our work very seriously.

hwz got an advertorial article on epson ink tanks inkjet printers that prints super super cheap but i've not used!

alamakazim

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What duplex software can work for canon ink tank printers?
Even with duplex software I guess also need to manually flip since the ink head is only one side of the printer that meant to be single side printing, correct me if I am wrong.

if really full auto duplex printer... automatic flip for u

if single side... software u can select what type of style to print... u just follow the step to manually flip when done

btw there is no software for this manual flipping... is all embedded together

some have pictorial illustration ... some dont

duplex_2.gif

so in lay man terms... u just print the even pages first.... later then u manually flip the entire printed stack .. put inside the paper holder.. then press ok... it will print the odd pages

duplex_1.gif

Last edited:

runforyourlife

Reaction score
Guys, if I wanna buy smth that can print photos from iPad Pro, iPhones, and also normal printouts.... which Budget ones is good ah?

Of course the inks don’t too ex la, cheaper the better

joesph

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys, if I wanna buy smth that can print photos from iPad Pro, iPhones, and also normal printouts.... which Budget ones is good ah?

Of course the inks don’t too ex la, cheaper the better
cp1300 canon? $199 with one box paper. wait for computer fairs

I see quube usd108...

Sent from Samsung SM-G975F using GAGT

dota667

Reaction score
since the CEE is here just nice need a new home use printer. am looking for black white laser printer, able to copy scan print (no need fax), has auto duplex.

am hoping it would be $200+ or so but looking at the brochures doesn't seem to have one that fits closest probably need 300+ not sure if they would carry more models onsite. would appreciate recommendations for printers or maybe can even buy online

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
New Business Printer Buying Guide! (Nov. 2019)

New Business Printer Buying Guide! (Nov. 2019)

HardwareZone has a new business printer buying guide sharing a number of common concerns faced in choosing the right printer + marrying it with options from Canon for your consideration.

HEAD OVER HERE

Topics and considerations covered:

• Laser vs. inkjet: Current misconceptions
  • Do you need to print in colour?
  • How often do you scan or make copies?
  • How much do you print, and are you the only user?
  • How important is running cost to you?
  • Specific needs & feature considerations?

And if you're happy to get a Canon printer - we point out specific models that solve specific needs.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.