Android TV Box

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bro, my TX5 Max failed to boot but from what I read, the flash can be performed using USB drive as well. However, it keeps booting up in recovery even when the USB device (created from Burn Card Maker) is plugged in.

Anything I did wrongly?

Never used a USB drive. I do not think it will work. I always use an uSD card with USB Burn Card Maker.

If USB Burn Card Maker does not work, I will use the USB A Male to Male cable and use the Windows 10 laptop.

ckong8

Reaction score
FJDTkpz.jpg

$89 for mi box s at mi shop
1 year warranty.
No need to wait for delivery
Only for father day

Hi,

Which Mi shop did you buy from? TQ

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bro, my TX5 Max failed to boot but from what I read, the flash can be performed using USB drive as well. However, it keeps booting up in recovery even when the USB device (created from Burn Card Maker) is plugged in.

Anything I did wrongly?

Never used a USB drive. I do not think it will work. I always use an uSD card with USB Burn Card Maker.

If USB Burn Card Maker does not work, I will use the USB A Male to Male cable and use the Windows 10 laptop.

Yeah, I made another boot using MicroSD card and it didn't work (boot right into recovery).

It looks something like this
photo_2019-04-25_09-20-34.jpg

photo_2019-04-25_09-20-46.jpg

I then use a USB A cable but PC can't seem to detect the box. I'm now out of ideas how to recover the box :(.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I made another boot using MicroSD card and it didn't work (boot right into recovery).

I then use a USB A cable but PC can't seem to detect the box. I'm now out of ideas how to recover the box :(.

The USB driver is pretty picky, especially with Windows 10, you may try different USB port to see if that helps. You may have to use a different PC. If you have Windows 7 PC that may help as well.

I have not tried to flash Tanix TX5 Max yet myself because there is no official FW from Tanix website yet.

But you can try this.
https://androidpctv.com/firmware-tanix-tx5-max/

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

It looks something like this
photo_2019-04-25_09-20-34.jpg

for some of the boxes, you just need to insert the sdcard , turn on the power, and the box will start to flash firmware . remember not to use reset button during boot.

for some version of firmware update, you can use the option [apply update from ext] in the recovery menu.

before your attempts to flash firmware, have you try doing wipe cache partition, factory reset from the recovery menu? sometimes these methods can recovery the box without flashing firmware.

if you still cannot recover the box, explain in fine details how did you create the sd card and how did you use the usb method - you might be doing the wrong way but no one in the forum can tell if you just say "use a USB A cable but PC can't seem to detect the box"

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The USB driver is pretty picky, especially with Windows 10, you may try different USB port to see if that helps. You may have to use a different PC. If you have Windows 7 PC that may help as well.

I have not tried to flash Tanix TX5 Max yet myself because there is no official FW from Tanix website yet.

But you can try this.
https://androidpctv.com/firmware-tanix-tx5-max/

I'll try it when I'm back at home. So I download the zip file and update via Ext right?

for some of the boxes, you just need to insert the sdcard , turn on the power, and the box will start to flash firmware . remember not to use reset button during boot.

for some version of firmware update, you can use the option [apply update from ext] in the recovery menu.

before your attempts to flash firmware, have you try doing wipe cache partition, factory reset from the recovery menu? sometimes these methods can recovery the box without flashing firmware.

if you still cannot recover the box, explain in fine details how did you create the sd card and how did you use the usb method - you might be doing the wrong way but no one in the forum can tell if you just say "use a USB A cable but PC can't seem to detect the box"

Hi Gregory, I tried wiping and factory reset but they all gave errors. I'll try with the microSD card without using the reset button tonight.

I followed this guide https://androidpctv.com/firmware-update-guide-tvbox-soc-amlogic/ and created both the USB thumb drive and microSD card using an .img file (http://geekbuying.mediafire.com/file/qzn7l5ofwywxaa1/JY-TX5Max-NavigationBar-20190221.img/file) using Burn Card Maker. It says keep the flash mode button (reset button) pressed but it always end up booting into recovery instead of flashing.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'll try it when I'm back at home. So I download the zip file and update via Ext right?

Hi Gregory, I tried wiping and factory reset but they all gave errors. I'll try with the microSD card without using the reset button tonight.

I followed this guide https://androidpctv.com/firmware-update-guide-tvbox-soc-amlogic/ and created both the USB thumb drive and microSD card using an .img file (http://geekbuying.mediafire.com/file/qzn7l5ofwywxaa1/JY-TX5Max-NavigationBar-20190221.img/file) using Burn Card Maker. It says keep the flash mode button (reset button) pressed but it always end up booting into recovery instead of flashing.

Just to add, I've also tried this but my box just doesn't appear on my PC (Windows 10) after using the toothpick method (method 1).

https://androidpcreview.com/how-to-use-the-amlogic-usb-burning-tool-to-manually-update-firmware/

Burning tool downloaded from http://www.tanix-box.com/Tanix-Files/USB_Burning_Tool_v2.1.6.zip

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

your androidpctv site has good and complete instructions to guide you, I suggest you go through the steps again.

if using sdcard, try to get card with small capacity. If you can't boot from the card, you have to try it again by formating it first, using sd formatter from sd association

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

if using thumbdrive, try with different usb ports.

if using usb cable, try to use older windows, best with win XP, should work on win7 too. Remember to try it on different usb ports, if you box has more than one usb port.

if you can't find laptop with old windows, read the note on the androidpctv page about the tweaks you need for win10.

last resort is to use method 3 [FLASH FIRMWARE WITH UBOOT.BIN FILE]

Last edited:

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
your androidpctv site has good and complete instructions to guide you, I suggest you go through the steps again.

if using sdcard, try to get card with small capacity. If you can't boot from the card, you have to try it again by formating it first, using sd formatter from sd association

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

if using thumbdrive, try with different usb ports.

if using usb cable, try to use older windows, best with win XP, should work on win7 too. Remember to try it on different usb ports, if you box has more than one usb port.

if you can't find laptop with old windows, read the note on the androidpctv page about the tweaks you need for win10.

last resort is to use method 3 [FLASH FIRMWARE WITH UBOOT.BIN FILE]

Interesting.

I'll try to use a smaller capacity card (using 64GB) but doesn't Burn Card Maker format the card before creating the boot image?

I'll try to see if Windows 7 works and I've tried different USB ports on both the box and PC (Win10).

It's kind of odd why my TX5 Max just refuse to boot when my wife was using it just the night before flawlessly.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

I'll try to use a smaller capacity card (using 64GB) but doesn't Burn Card Maker format the card before creating the boot image?

I'll try to see if Windows 7 works and I've tried different USB ports on both the box and PC (Win10).

It's kind of odd why my TX5 Max just refuse to boot when my wife was using it just the night before flawlessly.

That is strange.

I usually use 16GB/32GB Micro SD card -- Sandisk Ultra A1 rated. I used them with Armbian Linux and Armbian recommends A1 rated cards. They are pretty cheap from stores like Challenger.

TX5 Max has one USB 3.0 port and one USB 2.0 port. You should use the USB 2.0 port.

As for the reset button, where did you find the reset button? I have not opened the TX5 Max myself but it is said you need to open the box to access the reset button, unlike the other boxes.

Last edited:

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That is arrange.

I usually use 16GB/32GB Micro SD card -- Sandisk Ultra A1 rated. I used them with Armbian Linux and Armbian recommends A1 rated cards. They are pretty cheap from stores like Challenger.

TX5 Max has one USB 3.0 port and one USB 2.0 port. You should use the USB 2.0 port.

As for the reset button, where did you find the reset button? I have not opened the TX5 Max myself but it is said you need to open the box to access the reset button, unlike the other boxes.

The reset button is actually underneath the box, there's a tiny hole that you can poke to boot into recovery.

tmster

Master Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question, does the Mibox run on android with access to google store? I have the fire tv for stuff like netflix and hulu, so basically i'm looking for another tv box to install apps from google store which i can't run on fire tv. Stuff like tvb anywhere, toggle etc. Would appreciate some input, thanks in advance.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question, does the Mibox run on android with access to google store? I have the fire tv for stuff like netflix and hulu, so basically i'm looking for another tv box to install apps from google store which i can't run on fire tv. Stuff like tvb anywhere, toggle etc. Would appreciate some input, thanks in advance.

yes, "mibox s" can run netflix, hulu, tvbanywhere+ from its playstore.

it has built-in chromecast receiver and you can use it to watch video from toggle. you have to run toggle on handphone and chromecast the video to mibox s.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

You can sideload apps to your Fire TV. Not sure about Toggle and TVB Anywhere+ though.

Mi Box S has Android TV OS Google Play Store, a curated version of Google Play Store for TV. You can also aide load apps not available in its Play Store..

TVB Anywhere+ TV version is available from the store, but you need to pay for the SVOD subscription in order to use it.

SingTel TV Go and SingTel Cast are also available.

Toggle is not available and can not be side-loaded. Same for Starhub Go. But both Toggle and Starhub Go support Chromecast, so you can cast from your mobile phone since Mi Box S has built-in Chromecast function.

Last edited:

tmster

Master Member
Reaction score
yes, "mibox s" can run netflix, hulu, tvbanywhere+ from its playstore.

it has built-in chromecast receiver and you can use it to watch video from toggle. you have to run toggle on handphone and chromecast the video to mibox s.

It is for the seniors at home so i'm trying to keep things simple. Main usage is for tvbanywhere, toggle and maybe some chinese drama apps. I assume most decent android boxes should be able to handle this, please correct me if i'm wrong thanks.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.