HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree166Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-02-2019, 01:42 PM   #1231

Just request for FREE items since you are taking Fibre TV package.

Btw what package pricing are you paying for this package and is yours upgrade from cable TV.

Thanks for the tip.

Yes, it was an upgrade from my cable TV about a year ago at no extra cost. $31 for the basic tier including set-top box rental and HD upsize. I added another group at extra cost. Bundled with 24 months free 1Gbps fibre broadband bundle.

Last edited by Vin001; 26-02-2019 at 01:49 PM..
Vin001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 01:43 PM   #1232

Question

I bought the A95X from Android TV Box Solutions (via FB) last May.

I had a power trip last night and now unable to connect to the box. It asks for the activation code.

I tried contacting the company but the FB page and mobile phone are no longer in use.

Can anyone assist me how to activate / connect the box.

Thank you.
AileenGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 02:29 PM   #1233

Im very new to this Android TV box tech. May I know whats a good Android TV box to recommend. Seen some with thousands of channels, are those legit and how does a Chromecast actually help? What the difference between those that requires a subscription and one that does not? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by AutomationIsLife; 26-02-2019 at 03:27 PM..
AutomationIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 03:52 PM   #1234
Master Member

I had a power trip last night and now unable to connect to the box. It asks for the activation code.

I tried contacting the company but the FB page and mobile phone are no longer in use.

Thank you.

FB page is the worst place to buy tv box.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 07:00 PM   #1235

Thank you.
What do you mean by activation code for the box? The box is just an generic low end Android TV boxes (R1 based on Rockchip RK3229 and R2 based on Amlogic S905W) which costs around S$40-50 depending on the configurations from a quick check in Lazada and there is no such thing as activation code for the box itself.

I think you mean to say you bought a preloaded boxes from Facebook with an activation code required for the bundled app (most likely for IPTV) right? In that case you are mostly out of luck if the company selling the bundled preloaded boxes close down.

Your best bet is to see if the app provider can help if you can manage to get the contact of that app provider. Hopefully the name of the app is not ZalTV...

Last edited by xiaofan; 26-02-2019 at 09:43 PM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 07:03 PM   #1236

I’m very new to this Android TV box tech. May I know what’s a good Android TV box to recommend. Seen some with thousands of channels, are those legit and how does a Chromecast actually help? What the difference between those that requires a subscription and one that does not? Thanks in advance!
You need to state what you want.

All those with thousands of channels boxes are so called preloaded box and none of them are really legitimate and will be the targeted by future IP protection laws.

Depending on your needs you may consider the following options, from easy to more difficult

1) Starhub fibre TV or SingTel TV
2) Starhub Go Streaming Box
3) Google Chromecast
4) Apple TV 4k which is good option for Apple users

5) Mi Box S or Nvidia Shield TV running official Android TV OS whch supports Netflix 4k and YouTube 4k. You can load other apps as well with some exceptions like Starhub Go and TVB Anywhere SG. But they support Chromecast function which works with Starhub Go.

6) Amazon Fire TV stick 4k or Amazon Fire TV Cube, which supports Netflix 4k as well, again you can side load other apps.

7) Other barebone Android TV boxes, say those from Zidoo, Minix, Beelink and Tanix. Or those generic boxes. No Netflix HD/4k support, no ChromeCast function

8) Preloaded boxes like UnblockTech Ubox with relative comprehensive live TV app UBTV and they try to support it even though UBTV is ordered by high court to be blocked by local ISPs. Not recommended but I can see why people still go for it.

9) Other preloaded boxes sold at Sim Lim Square, other shopping centres or online market place or even Facebook, most if not all are problematic and do not expect good support. Avoid them.

10) Not HW boxes but just paid IPTV subscription. Not recommended in general but I can understand why people buy them.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 26-02-2019 at 10:01 PM..
Old 26-02-2019, 09:14 PM   #1237

What do you mean by activation code for the box? The box is just an generic low end Android TV boxes (R1 based on Rockchip RK3229 and R2 based on Amlogic S905W) which costs around S$40-50 depending on the configurations from a quick check in Lazada and there is no such thing as activation code for the box itself.

I think you mean to say you boight a preloaded boxes from Facebook with an activation code required for the bundled app (most likely for IPTV) right? In that case you are mostly out of luck if the company selling the bundled preloaded boxes close down.

Your best bet is to see if the app provider can help if you can manage to get the contact of that app provider. Hopefully the name of the app is not ZalTV...
A screen pops up showing the Device ID, and asks for the Activate Code, Name, Email and Phone. I don't have the code and when the guy hooked up the box with my tv, I wasn't asked to provide Name, Email and contact number.
AileenGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 09:29 PM   #1238

Is Starhub Fibre TV worth it?

I was asked by starhub to install cables around my whole hse so that I can use Starhub Fibre TV as Cable TV is gonna phase out... Worth it?
Super-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 09:30 PM   #1239

I was asked by starhub to install cables around my whole hse so that I can use Starhub Fibre TV as Cable TV is gonna phase out... Worth it?
But its really ugly to have wires running from Living to Master Room...
Super-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 09:46 PM   #1240

A screen pops up showing the Device ID, and asks for the Activate Code, Name, Email and Phone. I don't have the code and when the guy hooked up the box with my tv, I wasn't asked to provide Name, Email and contact number.
I see, that looks like a paid IPTV app and need an activation code. Sorry I guess nobody can help you unless you find the guy who sold you the box.
Old 26-02-2019, 10:05 PM   #1241

Please go to the right thread and ask there.

Here.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/n...792737-67.html

Or here.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...n-5990817.html

Last edited by xiaofan; 26-02-2019 at 10:08 PM..
Old 26-02-2019, 10:58 PM   #1242

Depending on your needs you may consider the following options, from easy to more difficult

1) Starhub fibre TV or SingTel TV
2) Starhub Go Streaming Box
3) Google Chromecast
4) Apple TV 4k
5) Mi Box S or Nvidia Shield TV running official Android TV OS
6) Amazon Fire TV stick 4k or Amazon Fire TV Cube
7) Other barebone Android TV boxes
8) Preloaded boxes like UnblockTech Ubox
9) Other preloaded boxes sold locally. Avoid them.
10) Not HW boxes but just paid IPTV subscription. Not recommended in general
Of course there are other alternatives like smart TV from Samsung (Tizen OS), LG (Web OS) and Sony/Sharp/Philips (Android TV OS), of which Android TV OS is the smartest with more apps. Then there are things like Roku box which is popular in US but may not be good for use in Singapore.

On the paid apps side, there are legitimate services as well, like Netflix, SingTel TV Go, SingTel Cast, Toggle, Starhub Go, TVB Anywhere SG, Viu, etc. Most of these more established legitimate streaming apps support Chromecast except TVB Anywhere SG. So it is good to buy things like ChromeCast dongle or Mi Box S even though you may not be able to install apps like Starhub Go on to Mi Box S itself.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 27-02-2019 at 08:14 AM..
Old 27-02-2019, 09:02 AM   #1243

Of course there are other alternatives like smart TV from Samsung (Tizen OS), LG (Web OS) and Sony/Sharp/Philips (Android TV OS), of which Android TV OS is the smartest with more apps. Then there are things like Roku box which is popular in US but may not be good for use in Singapore.

On the paid apps side, there are legitimate services as well, like Netflix, SingTel TV Go, SingTel Cast, Toggle, Starhub Go, TVB Anywhere SG, Viu, etc. Most of these more established legitimate streaming apps support Chromecast except TVB Anywhere SG. So it is good to buy things like ChromeCast dongle or Mi Box S even though you may not be able to install apps like Starhub Go on to Mi Box S itself.
I see I see, Im actually looking for one that supports YouTube, Netflix, overseas channels and maybe those discovery channels. Which would be best recommend and Im already running a Samsung smart TV so what do I actually need?
AutomationIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 09:57 AM   #1244

I see I see, I’m actually looking for one that supports YouTube, Netflix, overseas channels and maybe those discovery channels. Which would be best recommend and I’m already running a Samsung smart TV so what do I actually need?
For YouTube and Netflix your Samsung Smart TV should already be good.

Unfortunately there are no easily available legitimate way in the market to watch most overseas channels like Discovery channels, so your only choices are Starhub/SingTel. That is why I can understand that people are going to those Ubox or pirate streaming IPTV apps even though I will not recommend them.

If you only need live TV channels from mainland China, then you can just use any decent Android TV box and then use apps like 超级直播,华文电视,电视家,etc. Then there are VOD apps like Youku or Tencent Video which you can use for free using VPN or pay for the VIP access.

If you are asking for specific recommendation for those pirate streams based IPTV apps (free or paid) sorry I will not be able to answer as I do not use them.

Last edited by xiaofan; 27-02-2019 at 11:01 AM..
Old 27-02-2019, 01:37 PM   #1245
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks for the tip.

Yes, it was an upgrade from my cable TV about a year ago at no extra cost. $31 for the basic tier including set-top box rental and HD upsize. I added another group at extra cost. Bundled with 24 months free 1Gbps fibre broadband bundle.
$31 with free broadband for 24 months is cheap, too bad I switched over to Starhub Android box last year .
windwaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.