HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Should my daughter get the laptop form IT show or from Poly?

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2019, 03:21 PM   #1

Should my daughter get the laptop form IT show or from Poly?

Hi
I need to buy a light laptop for my daughter 1st year in poly , should i get from her poly or from IT show.Budget $2K and below, anyone can advise?
asnnlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:33 PM   #2

Hi
I need to buy a light laptop for my daughter 1st year in poly , should i get from her poly or from IT show.Budget $2K and below, anyone can advise?
What diploma does your daughter study? If she studies diploma for business or accountancy, chances is that she dont need a very high-end laptop to do her poly work

Best is if you can compare the prices between IT show brochures, Poly laptop brochures and online prices like lazada and shopee.
asnnlim likes this.
Godbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:42 PM   #3

Poly deals are generally better for value unless your child does not like the limited models on offer. For a start the poly deals have longer warranty even if you pay the same price outside.

So the answer is that you only get outside the poly when there is no suitable model. When my child was in Poly and we were selecting a MacBook she wanted something more. I told her she choose the best within the poly deals. Life sucks.
asnnlim likes this.
Slowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:02 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

not sure if it's the same now, but based on prev experience poly sets easier for u or ur child to manage since any image would be configured before you bring it back during the point of sale..

also longer warranty period
asnnlim likes this.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:04 PM   #5

i will buy from poly too.. the support from poly usually is better, depends on which poly your daughter is from. Singapore poly used to have an laptop department to assist..
prices also more competitive, my personal 3 cents
asnnlim likes this.
lordofshanghai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:05 PM   #6

get from poly unless she don't like the model, got 3 years warranty and pay abit more for unneeded higher spec like i7 or else look at microsoft offer for IT show. the surface laptop 2 $1608 and pro 6(i5) $1687 is not a bad deal but you need to add on $200 for microsoft complete.

end up poly laptop still better value.
alvino and asnnlim like this.

Last edited by kanashii23; 07-03-2019 at 04:08 PM..
kanashii23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:52 PM   #7

oh to add on, laptops sold in poly usually already come with the necessary software eg. microsoft office
asnnlim likes this.
Godbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:00 PM   #8

Hi, thanks for all the help. she is studying at Ngee ann poly common engineering program for her PFP. Need window base laptop
asnnlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:19 PM   #9

What you get from IT shows this days are those just bunch of freebies like external HD, usb dongle and etc. price wise not really cheaper not worth your trouble.
asnnlim likes this.
rvyne7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #10
Supremacy Member

LG gram 14 white 256gb 8gb ram
997 gram only + won hwz ultra portable laptop award for 2018 + 490 mins of long battery life, don't have to carry around charger on a day to day basis.

Free 43" LG smart tv
1 yr ms office subscription
1 yr anti virus
2 yrs warranty
LG laptop sleeve

Harvey Norman $1,599/-
If need more storage, just check with the LG promoters for more details.

Sent from Tokyo-3 (NERV) using GAGT
Dr.Vijay, leinad and asnnlim like this.

Last edited by Yuripa; 07-03-2019 at 07:20 PM..
Yuripa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:32 PM   #11

Yes better buy in Poly, better support. Last time, I go buy outside, so much problem.

And one more thing, beware of ASUS!

my ASUS UX notebook, chronic screen problem, ASUS service center can't fix and keep dragging till warranty over.
asnnlim likes this.
jianlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:52 PM   #12
Supremacy Member

Mine send in check do diagnostics tell me everything ok except hard disk. Bring back sound card spoil. Knn don’t buy ASUS

Yes better buy in Poly, better support. Last time, I go buy outside, so much problem.

And one more thing, beware of ASUS!

my ASUS UX notebook, chronic screen problem, ASUS service center can't fix and keep dragging till warranty over.
jianlee likes this.
Matrock5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:22 AM   #13

buy from poly better. lower price and better support service.
Tan Gee Ming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #14
High Supremacy Member

I think people are a bit outdated in their information. It's not necessarily true that the poly laptops are better deals now.

Also, almost all the Polytechnics I know have a Microsoft license, so students can bring their own devices to get Office, and probably all the relevant software.

For families with a tighter budgets, the IT show laptops are actually quite competitive. You can probably get decently spec'd laptops at under 1.3k from the IT show or external vendors. Just set it up, bring to school within the first week to the IT department to get the relevant software for the course, and off you go.

In the past with the vendors providing the software (Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative suite are the usual suspects), yes the value of the laptops in the Poly is high. Now, if you browse the relevant IT sites, you'll find it surprisingly not much cheaper. As for better support, all you get from the Poly at best is to drop your laptop there and they will send it for you and the wait times are very long. But if you send it yourself to the service centres, you'll actually get a quicker turnaround.

I've helped friends kids in the past 2 years try to procure laptops. We've found it to be generally false that the Poly is better value.

/Dan
asnnlim likes this.

Last edited by leinad; 08-03-2019 at 09:25 AM..
leinad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:36 AM   #15

Apple, Lenovo and Dell have a separate student purchase website.. Need to send a proof being a student and you get a pretty good discount. I purchased my Mcbook from apple student website when I studied in NTU.

https://www.dell.com/learn/sg/en/sgd...ase-program-sg
https://www.lenovo.com/sg/en/sgedu/g...tionGatekeeper
https://www.apple.com/sg_edu_4911/sh...slid--product-
asnnlim and amazingone like this.
ronnie_gogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.