Android TV Box

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In short official box run the the androidTV os and not a tablet version of android. Official boxes also does Chromecast, DRM for 4k netflix etc, Google assistant built in and have the curated play store.

Unless u are a geek and want a rooted box for installing adblock and stuff or want to run Linux on your TV box stick to the official boxes (mibox & Nvidia shield)

Good summary.

But I will even say forget about Android TV altogether (even Mi Box and Android Shield TV) and subscribe to SingTel TV and StarHub TV for those who think side loading apps is difficult.

ktyandkyc

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good summary.

But I will even say forget about Android TV altogether (even Mi Box and Android Shield TV) and subscribe to SingTel TV and StarHub TV for those who think side loading apps is difficult.
In short official box run the the androidTV os and not a tablet version of android. Official boxes also does Chromecast, DRM for 4k netflix etc, Google assistant built in and have the curated play store.

Unless u are a geek and want a rooted box for installing adblock and stuff or want to run Linux on your TV box stick to the official boxes (mibox & Nvidia shield)
Oh if then what's really the main decision factor to land on say Nvidia shield versus Minix?

If I'm a geek, I should go for Minix? But if I want official support for Android functionality like Chromecast, go shield?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh if then what's really the main decision factor to land on say Nvidia shield versus Minix?

If I'm a geek, I should go for Minix? But if I want official support for Android functionality like Chromecast, go shield?

No, the Minix is overpriced, go get the Nvidia Shield TV no matter what if you are only deciding between the two.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Linus Tech Tips’ review of the Mi Box S

US$60 Mi Box S has built-in Chromecast Ultra (4K) functionality which costs US$70. Nice one.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Linus Tech Tips’ review of the Mi Box S

[YOUTUB E]on5I4KJfulw[/ YOUTUBE]

US$60 Mi Box S has built-in Chromecast Ultra (4K) functionality which costs US$70. Nice one.

Nothing new.

The older mibox international version also has built-in Chromecast Ultra (4K) functionality.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

ktyandkyc

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@xiaofan,base on the top10 Android box spreadsheets, how's the performance of Minix u9 feature

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@xiaofan,base on the top10 Android box spreadsheets, how's the performance of Minix u9 feature

http://bit.ly/2l5j54G
This is the full chart. Minix Neo U9 is a pretty good box since it is using Amlogic S912.

The issue I think is the relatively high price associated with the Minix brand. Better to go with Nvidia Shield TV .

csc12345678

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi

I wonder if your streaming breaks in the evening ? Seems to be fine in the afternoon.
Thanks.

csc12345678

Master Member
Reaction score
Which box? Which app?

Posted from PCWX using EML-L29

Testing a M8Spro. Think it's not the app, cause via browser or player like MX Player, same. Probably the internet ? Or my network settings ? Or the server selection ?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Testing a M8Spro. Think it's not the app, cause via browser or player like MX Player, same. Probably the internet ? Or my network settings ? Or the server selection ?

If you use WiFi, then switch to wire to test. There might be multiple version of M8S Pro. Is yours from MeCool?

Even from MeCool there are different models.
M8S Pro, Amlogic S912
M8S Pro L, Amlogic S912, unofficial Android TV
M8S Pro W, Analogic S905W, unofficial Android TV

This may be related to your internet and not the box. You can check if your other device have the same problem with the same app or not.

csc12345678

Master Member
Reaction score
If you use WiFi, then switch to wire to test. There might be multiple version of M8S Pro. Is yours from MeCool?

Even from MeCool there are different models.
M8S Pro, Amlogic S912
M8S Pro L, Amlogic S912, unofficial Android TV
M8S Pro W, Analogic S905W, unofficial Android TV

This may be related to your internet and not the box. You can check if your other device have the same problem with the same app or not.

I'm using wire. I can switch to wifi but I thought the TV is between the box and the router, it may cause interference. I'm using the Pro S912. The internet is actually not gigabit, only 100MB/s.

I've used the router app to monitor the traffice, when it's good, it also not using a lot of bandwidth. So I wonder anybody else having this problem, if it's due to the internet, others would get it too.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

are you watch seafood channels? to be more specific, watching prawn?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no lah... just testing the box. I hardly use it.

what's wrong with letting others people know about the app you used and the channels you watched?

if you revealed them, it is easier for xiaofan or other people to help you to troubleshoot.

csc12345678

Master Member
Reaction score
what's wrong with letting others people know about the app you used and the channels you watched?

if you revealed them, it is easier for xiaofan or other people to help you to troubleshoot.

Cause I don't suspect it's the app... any way, it's Kodi & IE. My box hardly install any apps, just kodi, MX player, vlc and other non-video related apps. I have a very old TV and I don't normally watch on that box unless we have a few people together. So sometimes, I only on the box once every few weeks.

I think it's the internet and I ask to see if others are having the same problem. I think it's the network. cause it only happens at certain times.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.