HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2018, 11:27 PM   #631
Supremacy Member

Guys. I need a Android TV box for CCTV channels from China. I don't need anything else.

Any cheap TV box to recommend? Below 50 will be the best
chenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:56 AM   #632

Guys. I need a Android TV box for CCTV channels from China. I don't need anything else.

For CCTV and provincial China TV stations, quite some apps will do with pretty good quality. For example 华文电视 or live TV apps like 超级直播from Dangbei 当贝市场will do. You actually get more.

For boxes, 2GB/16GB Amlogic S905W based will be good enough for your needs and beyond and price will be around your budgets. They are usually non-branded. Tanix is one of the better known brand among them. 1GB/8GB may be okay for your specific need but you will regret soon.

If you use Taobao you can get Tanix TX3 Max or Tanix TX3 Mini 2GB/16GB at about S$40 or a bit below Plus shipping. They are not popular in Taobao though as they are more geared toward overseas markets.

Search Shopee for “TV Boxes” then select “TV Boxes” and then “preferred “ seem to yield many results but all are from overseas. Quite some are below S$50. You can check among them.

Search for “Tanix TX3” and “preferred”, you will get only three results with pictures showing the “Tanix” brand but the two 2GB/16GB listings are higher than S$50.

I have not used Shopee myself (just start to look at it by comparing the price vs Taobao where I use sea shipping and pay 7% GST plus low shipping cost with 集运). So the info is only for your reference.

My friend got the Tanix TX3 Max and he likes it. I myself got the no-brand X96 Mini and it is good too but YMMV for no-brand boxes.

Last edited by xiaofan; 08-11-2018 at 08:13 AM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:59 AM   #633
Master Member

if you need to run only 1 app for CCTV channels (and many other china satellite channels), buy the vscishion v88 at $30 or less.
gregory_choo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:09 AM   #634

if you need to run only 1 app for CCTV channels (and many other china satellite channels), buy the vscishion v88 at $30 or less.
Yes that is one possibility from what I read. But the problem is that it is only 1GB/8GB and I do not like the RK3229 CPU. It will be okay for the specific needs but he will soon regret.

I have a generic R69 RK3229 Box with 2GB/16GB (S$30 from Taobao) and my generic S905W 2GB/16GB X96 Mini (S$40 from Taobao) are much much better than it.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:13 AM   #635
Master Member

Post your review here after you play with it.

BTW, you may spend time browsing through the Facebook group. It really has a lot of good info and tips.
My TX3 Max lai liao.

Actually got it on Monday but not free to play with it till last night, but just played for an hour nia.

First impression quite speedy did not feel any lag, memory usage out of the box is 5xxmb/1.9gb, but noticed that it cannot find 5G band Wifi. Do not feel hot after an hour, based on my human thermometer it should be 40+ degree. cooler than my Minix G4.

Tried to update but it says latest version liao (Security patch dated 1 Dec 2017), not sure should this be done manually?

The remote control is not bad, initially thot I can use this to navigate but found it cannot scroll in "Youtube Kids" and "Newest Movies HD" apps.

Sian, now dunno should I get a Airmouse.
Sambuca78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:18 AM   #636

My TX3 Max lai liao.
Sian, now dunno should I get a Airmouse.
Thanks for the review. It is bigger than my X96 Mini so the heat problem should be less and it should have better design than mine.

Low end Box only has 2.4GHz band WiFi and 100M Ethernet. If you can, use Ethernet for better stability.

You can go to Tanix website and Facebook page to get software update.

As for air mouse, I myself do not like them — I am using a Logitech USB Keyboard/Mouse combo myself (single receiver) with the help of default remote in case the mouse/keyboard do not work.

Last edited by xiaofan; 08-11-2018 at 08:20 AM..
Old 08-11-2018, 08:33 AM   #637

As for air mouse, I myself do not like them — I am using a Logitech USB Keyboard/Mouse combo myself (single receiver) with the help of default remote in case the mouse/keyboard do not work.
This link is for reference. TOP 2 have good reviews from other sites.
https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-android-tv-remotes

#7 is the generic TV remote which comes three out my four boxes.😄

Edit on 8 Nov 2018
You can also try the remote app for iOS/Android.
https://www.cetusplay.com

Last edited by xiaofan; 08-11-2018 at 08:42 AM..
Old 08-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #638
Master Member

Thanks for the review. It is bigger than my X96 Mini so the heat problem should be less and it should have better design than mine.

Low end Box only has 2.4GHz band WiFi and 100M Ethernet. If you can, use Ethernet for better stability.

You can go to Tanix website and Facebook page to get software update.

Same, I tried the minix A2 remote at my friend place before but don't really like wave the mouse around.

Does MX3 come with gyroscope and accelerometer? Thinking of getting 1 for navigation and play simple games with my toddler gal.
Sambuca78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #639

Does MX3 come with gyroscope and accelerometer? Thinking of getting 1 for navigation and play simple games with my toddler gal.
Website says yes. Some say 6-axis inertia sensor and some say it a bit differently.

There are also models with audio.

But it is a generic name now so you may need to check the ratings of the seller and the review of the item.

Ref:

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Keyb.../dp/B07DWVNB3J

https://shopee.sg/outdoorlife.sg/150...a34bb23bff4c41
Old 08-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #640
Supremacy Member

Hi thanks . Probably I will get same device as yours from taobao. R69

Yes that is one possibility from what I read. But the problem is that it is only 1GB/8GB and I do not like the RK3229 CPU. It will be okay for the specific needs but he will soon regret.

I have a generic R69 RK3229 Box with 2GB/16GB (S$30 from Taobao) and my generic S905W 2GB/16GB X96 Mini (S$40 from Taobao) are much much better than it.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:54 PM   #641

Hi thanks . Probably I will get same device as yours from taobao. R69
No please do not get R69, that is a lousy box. Get S905W based box like Tanix TX3 Max or TX3 Mini.

I wanted to buy R69 Allwinner H3 based R69 for Armbian Linux usage (not as an Android box as I know it is not good) but the seller delivered the wrong one with RK3229 to me (which costs higher but not what I want).

That is the problem by going through Taobao and generic box — no point to return as the shipping cost can be high. In this case R69 Box is kind of useless to me as it can not run Linux unlike the older H3 based box.

Last edited by xiaofan; 08-11-2018 at 02:34 PM..
Old 08-11-2018, 10:30 PM   #642
Supremacy Member

I was looking at Lazada instead of taobao. Tx3 2gb ram selling at 48 shipping from China and local shop seller selling it at 75.

Then j saw another brand mx10 which is 4gb ram with rk3328 .selling at 68

Is mx10 better option?

No please do not get R69, that is a lousy box. Get S905W based box like Tanix TX3 Max or TX3 Mini.

I wanted to buy R69 Allwinner H3 based R69 for Armbian Linux usage (not as an Android box as I know it is not good) but the seller delivered the wrong one with RK3229 to me (which costs higher but not what I want).

That is the problem by going through Taobao and generic box — no point to return as the shipping cost can be high. In this case R69 Box is kind of useless to me as it can not run Linux unlike the older H3 based box.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:31 AM   #643
Master Member

I was looking at Lazada instead of taobao. Tx3 2gb ram selling at 48 shipping from China and local shop seller selling it at 75.

Is mx10 better option?

AML chips has better compatibility compared the RK chips.

If not playing games, any RAM higher than 2GB are wasted.

mx10 is not a brand.
gregory_choo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:12 AM   #644

Is mx10 better option?
As Mr Choo mentioned, MX10 is a generic model name and not a brand. So you are counting a bit of luck here if you choose to go with this one.

From the spec it is very similar to my H96 Max RK3328 based box and the reviewed MX10 unit in the following YouTube link— just an upgrade to Android 8. The review is pretty positive.

https://youtu.be/CwAoioGKxFE

And indeed 4GB RAM is just a gimmick for using this as a TV Box. But it does not hurt either.
https://youtu.be/lSMqMyAbD9o

The price is quite reasonable and similar to Taobao price —2018 MX10 Box is roughly S$54 for 4GB/32GB and S$60 for the 4GB/64GB model and you need to pay for shipping.

My own testing of the H96 Max+ (one of the most popular generic RK3328 model) shows no compatibility problem and smooth performance and no heat problem (bigger size) and this MX10 is of bigger size so heat should be okay. RK3328 is somewhat between S905W and S905X so performance is quite okay. USB 3.0 may help as well in some use cases. Take note that my box is running Android 7.1 though.

So my opinion is that you can buy this if Lazada gives you some good return policy.

Last edited by xiaofan; 09-11-2018 at 07:14 AM..
Old 09-11-2018, 07:24 AM   #645

So my opinion is that you can buy this if Lazada gives you some good return policy.
Searching with Lazada for Tanix TX28 show two vendors having the 4GB/32GB model below S$80, the external antenna should help WiFi performance and the design look better. So you may want to check that as well. It is not as popular as TX3 Max and TX3 Mini within the Tanix brand, why? Because you S905W/S905X are more mature and proven solution.

BTW I do not use Lazada so I fo not know how to tell a shop is good or not. I myself do not trust Qoo10 and just start to look at Shopee and Lazada. My wife tried once with Lazada and it is okay. She tried quite some time with Qoo10 and I do not think the quality is good. She started with Amazon US and then AliExpress and then Qoo10 and now Taobao. I just sneak a little bit of my gadget stuff in her orders this year 😄

Last edited by xiaofan; 09-11-2018 at 07:30 AM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.