Android TV Box

Medicated Oil

Honorary Member
Reaction score
I bought a TX9 Pro yesterday from IT fair. It's not tanix but some other name on it. However the box has 'TX9 Pro'

Anyway I'm very new to tv box but have seen how it works and have been tempted to get one. So I bought one yesterday after checking it out. Came home set it up, worked fine.

This morning I got up hoping to watch a movie, but I spent 1.5 hours trying to connect. Because each time it connects, it wld drop off and when I load the apps it says no network connected. So I'm beginning to question if my internet provider (Singtel) is actually blocking this? Any idea?

I also made a mistake of resetting the box hoping I could start again. However doing this also meant I lost the "AppStore" that was already in the box when I plugged in. Does anyone know where I can find this "AppStore"?

Dun think any one here can resolve your issue.
You need to go down to Suntec with the receipt and ask the guys from the booth to fix it for you.
They will do it since there are so many eyes watching.
If you dun do it today, then your box will become another paperweight.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
I bought a TX9 Pro yesterday from IT fair. It's not tanix but some other name on it. However the box has 'TX9 Pro'

Anyway I'm very new to tv box but have seen how it works and have been tempted to get one. So I bought one yesterday after checking it out. Came home set it up, worked fine.

This morning I got up hoping to watch a movie, but I spent 1.5 hours trying to connect. Because each time it connects, it wld drop off and when I load the apps it says no network connected. So I'm beginning to question if my internet provider (Singtel) is actually blocking this? Any idea?

I also made a mistake of resetting the box hoping I could start again. However doing this also meant I lost the "AppStore" that was already in the box when I plugged in. Does anyone know where I can find this "AppStore"?

All these so called android boxes are mostly gimics. They all run a tablet version of Android and come with no DRM support so no hd netflix etc. The preinstalled streaming apps are not legally sourced and when they eventually get taken down you won't be able to use them anymore. Since you already own the box you could probably open Google play and install the streaming apps yourself . If Google play is not installed you can sideload the apk yourself.

There are only 2 official android tv boxes. They are the Nvidia shield and the Xiaomi mi box. Those runs the official Google tv version which come with DRM support for netflix 4k and YouTube 4k and Chromecast support.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All these so called android boxes are mostly gimics. They all run a tablet version of Android and come with no DRM support so no hd netflix etc. The preinstalled streaming apps are not legally sourced and when they eventually get taken down you won't be able to use them anymore. Since you already own the box you could probably open Google play and install the streaming apps yourself . If Google play is not installed you can sideload the apk yourself.

There are only 2 official android tv boxes. They are the Nvidia shield and the Xiaomi mi box. Those runs the official Google tv version which come with DRM support for netflix 4k and YouTube 4k and Chromecast support.

Any feedback on Roku and AC Ryan please? I am considering buying a streaming device, which has ethernet, so Chromecast and FireTV are out of consideration, I guess. I am not sure if WiFi will be reliable.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT

Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
There is Roku and AC Ryan also, no?

The Roku along with the Amazon fire TV lineup are not "android tv" boxes. They are intended as media boxes and can't run apps from Google play. The Amazon fire TV series can sideload android APKs unofficially but it's not its intended uses. I don't know much of the AC Ryan so not going to comment about it.

Both the Nvidia shield and xiaomi mi box are integrated into the Google ecosystem which you get Chromecast ,voice search and all the relevant Google service. Both are licensed to be able to play DRM content unlike the rest of the "android boxes"

The Nvidia shield comes with an ethernet port. The mi box can use a usb to ethernet adapter. Google Chromecast also has its own ethernet adapter thing. Some of the Amazon fire TV boxes come with ethernet ports I think

Last edited:

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The Roku along with the Amazon fire TV lineup are not "android tv" boxes. They are intended as media boxes and can't run apps from Google play. The Amazon fire TV series can sideload android APKs unofficially but it's not its intended uses. I don't know much of the AC Ryan so not going to comment about it.

Both the Nvidia shield and xiaomi mi box are integrated into the Google ecosystem which you get Chromecast ,voice search and all the relevant Google service. Both are licensed to be able to play DRM content unlike the rest of the "android boxes"

The Nvidia shield comes with an ethernet port. The mi box can use a usb to ethernet adapter. Google Chromecast also has its own ethernet adapter thing. Some of the Amazon fire TV boxes come with ethernet ports I think
Thanks. From what I read, Roku has a wide selection of Apps, including both Netflix and Amazon prime. So will, lack of playstore be a big loss?

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Thanks. From what I read, Roku has a wide selection of Apps, including both Netflix and Amazon prime. So will, lack of playstore be a big loss?

Depends on your use case. With the Google and Amazon fiasco going on (no YouTube on Amazon tv and no Amazon prime on Google devices I think) Roku seems to be a safe bet. Although you cant install other games, streaming services or Kodi on the Roku

rECKleSSfElla

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. Dont even need your tv box to be on android tv os to run netflix hd. For 720p, all you need is widevine lvl 1. For 1080p/4k, you need widevine lvl 1 + official netflix certification on the device. Nowadays many newer tv box models already come with widevine lvl 1 so watching netflix in 720p is possible.

2. Then again, do people who buy tv boxes actually even use it for netflix? You know i know everybody knows whats the main reason more and more people are stopping their cable subscriptions and turning to tv boxes. Lets just leave it at that. Are tv boxes a gimmick? I dont know. Maybe as much a gimmick as smartphones and tablets are then since they do function the same in most ways. As long a tv box serves the purpose i bought it for, then i guess i am happy with it.

3. All the google framework, services and playstore do not just disappear when you factory resetted a box. The previous guy must have did something more than just plainly resetting the box or its some dodgy 3rd party appstore that was installed and not the official google playstore he was talking about.

sinisteral

Reaction score
Homehub contract ending soon and wanted to try using an android box. There's so many of them and the specs are confusing me.

At my friend's house it was lagging very badly but I think that might be more to do with the internet than anything else?

One member here posted he ordered this:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/amlogic-s912-android-7-0-ram_60688686159.html

Quite interesting and am eyeing his review.
Anyone else got recommendations? Am hoping for those that don't have any other add on charges/subscription and come pre-loaded with the apps for our favorite channels (sports/movies/starworld/history/discovery etc)

Looks surprisingly the same. Possibly a reseller but their pricing is reasonably low.

https://www.lazada.sg/-i147887938-s...tail_image.1.5a0c46929UgND8&urlFlag=true&mp=1

I just wonder if I have to pay for any services or value added stuff.

Let's wait and see. Will post a review once I try it!

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Looks surprisingly the same. Possibly a reseller but their pricing is reasonably low.

https://www.lazada.sg/-i147887938-s...tail_image.1.5a0c46929UgND8&urlFlag=true&mp=1

I just wonder if I have to pay for any services or value added stuff.

Let's wait and see. Will post a review once I try it!

Those types of andoid boxes are running a tablet version of Android. Like any android phone or tablet you can install apps form Google play store or sideload the apk. No need to depend on the manufacturer to preinstall for you.
These boxes are fine if you use it for grey area streaming apps, spmc( a fork of Kodi for Android) and android games. However, a official googletv box will provide you with 4k YouTube netflix and Chromecast, voice control and a overall better user experience.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I dont intend to use any illegal streams. Just netflix, amazon prime, youtube and some free channels like Bloomberg News etc

I have decided on Roku Express. It costs about $50 if I import it on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Express-more-powerful-Streaming/dp/B075XN1NZC

I have 300mbps M1 broadband and 5GHz capable Asus N56U router. If I place the roku stick right next to the router, I guess I will get decent performance without lag?

Also wanted to confirm, Roku will work in SG, especially for Netflix, Amazon prime and other free channels?

Any other thoughts? I considered chromecast, but the fact that I need to first get on a mobile or laptop and then cast it, is a put off, I would rather use a remote. Also I read, powerwise, Roku performs better at streaming than chromecast.

The only disadvantage with Roku, for me is it doesnt have a web browser. I wonder why there are not many people using Roku in Singapore.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

sinisteral

Reaction score
Those types of andoid boxes are running a tablet version of Android. Like any android phone or tablet you can install apps form Google play store or sideload the apk. No need to depend on the manufacturer to preinstall for you.
These boxes are fine if you use it for grey area streaming apps, spmc( a fork of Kodi for Android) and android games. However, a official googletv box will provide you with 4k YouTube netflix and Chromecast, voice control and a overall better user experience.

Hi Dryteletubby, was hoping to use these boxes to channel surf discovery/hbo/tvb etc.
what are some of the good googletvboxes out there?

nomoreliaola

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi my biggest and main aim is to watched Chinese dubbed tvb shows (for family) any recommendations?

Sent from Google PIXEL 2 using GAGT

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Hi my biggest and main aim is to watched Chinese dubbed tvb shows (for family) any recommendations?

You have an android phone? Use it to see if there are any apps that have what you want. Then buy the TV box and install back the same app.

nomoreliaola

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You have an android phone? Use it to see if there are any apps that have what you want. Then buy the TV box and install back the same app.
That's the thing I dun find any app with the shows... Btw, even if I can find, I can stream using Chromecast right?

dryteletubby

Reaction score
That's the thing I dun find any app with the shows... Btw, even if I can find, I can stream using Chromecast right?

I don't think google play store will have such apps maybe search some Chinese forums and sideload the apk? If you want use Chromecast, only the official Android TV boxes will support it ( Nvidia shield and mi box) or you could just a Chromecast dongle.

nomoreliaola

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't think google play store will have such apps maybe search some Chinese forums and sideload the apk? If you want use Chromecast, only the official Android TV boxes will support it ( Nvidia shield and mi box) or you could just a Chromecast dongle.
Thanks boss I found a website that has Chinese dubbing... May I know if that's the case, a chromecast is better ?

nomoreliaola

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No. I only watch HK drama with English subtitles. Don't understand chinese or cantonese.
And I only cast dramas that are 720p and 1080p to the TV. Tiny Cast for Chromecast will detect url video source quality and show all low and high quality url video source.

I suggest you use Adguard to block all unwanted advertisements from all browser apps and all other apps.
https://adguard.com/en/welcome.html
I am using adguard.

I never like ad. My smartphone is totally ad free.

For example, Channel News Asia, AsiaOne, Today online app .... they are all ad-free.

If you want free ad blocker for android. Here are a few you can try to see which one works for you. They don't just blocked ad in your browser but they also blocked ad from any other apps you are using.

https://block-this.com/

https://www.seven.com/android-adblocker-download.php

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how...pps-without-root-extra-battery-drain-0174614/

https://adbl0ck.com/

http://blokada.org/

You can try block-this and blokada ad blocker.

Ad-blocker will create a localize VPN. You will see a key symbol once it is active.
Thanks man ....

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.