• 1 Post By ZrE0_Cha0s
  • 1 Post By renfred89
  • 1 Post By FuNKySoULyBrO
  • 1 Post By sim21

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2017, 07:54 AM   #1

ASUS - AC1200G+ router or AC56U Router

Dear All,
which router ( ASUS - AC1200G+ router or AC56U) is more powerful in terms of speed and signal strength?i have compare both of them on Asus website, but dont understand their final difference .

what is their main difference ?which is a high end router among these 2 ?
is the AC1200G+ gives good signl strength to cover a HDB 5 room flat?

Thanks

Last edited by deadlockb; 10-03-2017 at 08:21 AM..
deadlockb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:21 AM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

Haha. Exactly the same feeling. Can't find what's the main difference between them which pits who is the best among the both.
deadlockb likes this.
ZrE0_Cha0s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:02 AM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

Dear All,
which router ( ASUS - AC1200G+ router or AC56U) is more powerful in terms of speed and signal strength?i have compare both of them on Asus website, but dont understand their final difference .

what is their main difference ?which is a high end router among these 2 ?
is the AC1200G+ gives good signl strength to cover a HDB 5 room flat?

Thanks
essentially both are supporting the same wifi speed class of 2x2, wireless AC. However the significant difference is that ac1200g+ has 4 5dBi antennas outside while ac56u has internal antennas for wifi. coverage will be lower comparing to ac1200g+.

whether which device suits you the most depends on your location of placement of router. 5 rm flat by right should go better with an external antenna one, which i suggest ac1200g+.

I won't rule out the fact ac56u can support adequate coverage for 5rm flat, but again, i'm suggesting based on common sense.
deadlockb likes this.
renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:45 PM   #4

essentially both are supporting the same wifi speed class of 2x2, wireless AC. However the significant difference is that ac1200g+ has 4 5dBi antennas outside while ac56u has internal antennas for wifi. coverage will be lower comparing to ac1200g+.

whether which device suits you the most depends on your location of placement of router. 5 rm flat by right should go better with an external antenna one, which i suggest ac1200g+.

I won't rule out the fact ac56u can support adequate coverage for 5rm flat, but again, i'm suggesting based on common sense.
im currently using AC56 router with M1 fiber plan 1gbps. But getting very poor signal in the master bedroom ,Kitchen and part of the hall.
attached my router location on the floor plan.There are 3 walls between router and MBR.I have used range extender etc.But not much improvement.Home plugs are ok, but they are 200mbps , need to invest again on plugs for 500 mbps etc. so thinking if i change router to 1200G+ (free During RECONTRACT ),will there be any improvement in signal strength based on my current router location.I cannot change router location as Fiber ONT point is installed there and also i have direct wired connection to TV .
Floor Plan: http://imgur.com/a/KXzgo

Last edited by deadlockb; 10-03-2017 at 03:08 PM..
Old 10-03-2017, 02:05 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

im currently using AC56 router with M1 fiber plan 1gbps. But getting very poor signal in the master bedroom ,Kitchen and part of the hall.
attached my router location on the floor plan.There are 3 walls between router and MBR.I have used range extender etc.But not much improvement.Home plugs are ok, but they are 200mbps , need to invest again on plugs for 500 mbps etc. so thinking if i change router to 1200G+ (free During RECONTRACT ),will there be any improvement in signal strength based on my current router location.I cannot change router location as Fiber ONT point is installed there and also i have direct wired connection to TV .

http://imgur.com/a/KXzgo
get that free router, replace your range extenter to that free router (change it to AP mode) and u have another good wifi extenter/
ZrE0_Cha0s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:44 PM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

If u change from ac56s to ac1200, you will likely to see a change in coverage but don't expect it to have a miracle lor.

Either way, ac56s can be used as an access point or repeater, so no harm anyway..

Floor Plan: http://imgur.com/a/KXzgo

renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:21 PM   #7
Master Member

Think AC1200g+ will provide better 5GHz coverage due to the external antenna.

However, AC56U has better processor, also got 2 USB ports ( with 1 USB 3.0 ), so u can connect more stuff like HDD and 3G dongle or printer etc

U might wanna check out this review ( http://www.digitalcitizen.life/revie...-can-buy-today ) , which also compared it to AC56U.

If u want better 5GHz coverage, I think AC1200g+ is quite good
deadlockb likes this.
FuNKySoULyBrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:57 PM   #8

I would suggest you having a ac1200 for the main router point and a ac56u in the furthest bedroom.
I have installed a few routers in hdbs. The walls and the interference of multiple wifi signals usually the wifi signal will drop drastically once out of line of sight.
Having a ac56 in the bed room, it will reduce the number of dead zones.
If you are in the new hdbs, try convert the telephone to lan. Connect the ac56 via this lan connection.
deadlockb likes this.
sim21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:52 AM   #9

If you are in the new hdbs, try convert the telephone to lan. Connect the ac56 via this lan connection.
how much does it cost to change telephone socket to lan ? if its by meters, approx how much / meter do they charge ? any idea?
Thanks
Old 16-03-2017, 10:14 AM   #10

how much does it cost to change telephone socket to lan ? if its by meters, approx how much / meter do they charge ? any idea?
Thanks
Old 16-03-2017, 11:30 PM   #11

Thanks
Bro , cost roughly 45 dollars. new hdb only. The phone cable used by HDB is same as lan cable. Need to change some wires connection only.
Old 16-12-2018, 06:07 AM   #12

I would suggest you having a ac1200 for the main router point and a ac56u in the furthest bedroom.
I have installed a few routers in hdbs. The walls and the interference of multiple wifi signals usually the wifi signal will drop drastically once out of line of sight.
Having a ac56 in the bed room, it will reduce the number of dead zones.
Do you connect the AC56u (in AP mode) via direct cable from the router or using homeplug to connect to the AP?
PholkLorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 05:43 PM   #13
Master Member

Do you connect the AC56u (in AP mode) via direct cable from the router or using homeplug to connect to the AP?
this thread is close to 2 years old dude.
Hafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 09:56 PM   #14

Asus is increasing in popularity
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.