Like Tree552Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-05-2019, 09:57 AM   #1996

hmm...searching best Android TV box....
thetomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 10:10 AM   #1997
Master Member

hmm...searching best Android TV box....
No need to search, if you do not mind to pay more, the king of Android TV boxes is Nvidia Shield TV.

But in the end it all depends on your needs. You can read Page 94 for options which may suit your needs.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/t...678618-94.html

Mi Box S is the best value under S$100.

Last edited by xiaofan; 25-05-2019 at 01:10 PM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 10:16 AM   #1998
Master Member

Another generic S905X2 box, and not a well-known one, avoid boxes like this T10 Pro.

If you want to buy S905X2 boxes, better buy those with a bit of brand name, for example Beelink GT1 MiNi. If you feel that is still expensive, buy Tanix TX5 Max OEM version (no Tanix logo) which is similar in price to other generic brands.

If you still think that is more expensive than you like and you find cheaper price for similar spec box, then at least check out more well known no-brand boxes like H96 Max X2, T95Q, X96 Max, etc.

Just check out the FreakTab forum for popular generic boxes.
https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv-...players/s905x2

Last edited by xiaofan; 25-05-2019 at 10:20 AM..
Old 25-05-2019, 10:40 AM   #1999

Further test results with SuperSU full unroot and Manually delete method. I want to remove root access from my boxes.

X96 Mini Amlogic S905W box -- SuperSU full unroot works, not so sure what happened previously

R69 Rockchip RK3229 box -- SuperSu full unroot works

H96 Pro+ Amlogic S912 box-- SuperSu full unroot works

Tanix TX5 Max Amlogic S905X2 box -- SuperSu full unroot works.

Tania TX6 Allwinner H6 box -- SuperSu full unroot does not work, manual delete files using ES File Explorer app's root explorer function works.

H96 Max H2 Rockchip RK3328 box -- I am able to recover from the RK3328 H96 Max H2 box now. So I recovered it to the same stock firmware first, backed up the superuser.apk first as the lesson learned from previous experiment. SuperSU full unroot does not work. Manually delete the files and remove the system superuser app does not work either since /sbin/su comes back after reboot (/system/xbin/su is gone). But this time I have backed up superuser.apk so I can get it back installed to manage root access.

Enough of experiments. I will leave the H96 Max H2 box as it is now -- rooted but with superuser app managing the root access.

However this full unroot still does not work for apps like SingTel TV Go, SingTel Cast and probably Astro Go official app.

For SingTel TV Go, SingTel Cast, go for Mi Box S.

For Astro Go, based on Malaysia forum, go for Minix NEO U1 or Minix NEO U9-H. And there are methods to get it work for Tanix TX3 Mini (root switch) and TX5 Max (unroot first).

Hi Xiaofan, after you unroot, can check if your google is now certify? Are you able to pass the SafetyNet check? I believe only when u are able to pass the safetynet check, then you can install Singtel TV go.... I can install Singtel Cast on my 96 max x2 but not Singtel tv go.... can u check if your safetynet pass and is the google certify....
Shawncck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #2000
Master Member

Hi Xiaofan, after you unroot, can check if your google is now certify? Are you able to pass the SafetyNet check? I believe only when u are able to pass the safetynet check, then you can install Singtel TV go.... I can install Singtel Cast on my 96 max x2 but not Singtel tv go.... can u check if your safetynet pass and is the google certify....
This will not pass SafetyNet check. I already give up on SingTel TV Go and SingTel Cast experiment -- get a Mi Box S for that purpose if you want that since it is known to work. It is just an experiment for me. The reason why I want to unroot the boxes is more for experiment and security reasons.

There is no such thing as Google certified for these Android TV boxes running mobile version of Android, only device running Android TV OS may possibly get Google certification. Boxes running mobile phone version of Android OS will not get Google certification.

There are very few popular Android TV boxes which got Google certification (not counting Sony/Sharp Android TV and operator version like Starhub Go Streaming box). Mi Box S, Nvidia Shield TV, Mecool KM8, Mecool KM9 Pro and Mecool KM3 are some examples of Google certified TV boxes. The three Mecool boxes are Google certified but not Netflix certified.

If you need Google certification and to pass SafetyNet check, get an official Android TV OS device like Mi Box S.

This is different in the mobile phone world where the phone anyway runs mobile phone version of Android. And then you use tools like Magisk to hide the root to pass SafetyNet check.

Last edited by xiaofan; 25-05-2019 at 12:08 PM..
Old 25-05-2019, 12:09 PM   #2001
Master Member

Official SingTel Cast Device Compatibility list.
https://www.singtel.com/content/dam/...es%20FINAL.pdf

Most of the compatible devices are mobile phones and tablets. For big screen device you have Apple TV, Chromecast dongle, Sony/Sharp Android TV and Samsung Tizen smart TV.

Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV are not listed in the above list but they are reported to work, after all they run official Android TV OS just like Sony/Sharp Android TV.

Last edited by xiaofan; 25-05-2019 at 12:15 PM..
Old 25-05-2019, 12:20 PM   #2002
Master Member

SingTel TV Go

http://singteltv.com.sg/_pdf/singteltvgo-devices.pdf

For big screen device, only Apple TV 4th gen and above and Android TV are officially supported.

But Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV are reported to work.
Old 25-05-2019, 12:25 PM   #2003
Master Member

Starhub Go is only compatible with PC and Mobile phone.
https://www.starhub.com/personal/sup...-go/about.html

The only known Android TV box to support Starhub Go directly is Starhub Go Streaming Box.

But it does support Chromecast, so you can cast from phone through Chromecast dongles or official Android TV OS device like Sony/Sharp Android TV, Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV.
Old 25-05-2019, 12:29 PM   #2004
Master Member

TVB Anywhere+ device support list
https://plus.tvbanywhere.com/certifi...rt-tv-list.pdf

For big screen device (only for paid customer), Android TV OS device like Mi Box S, Nvidia Shield TV, Sony/Sharp Android TV and Starhub Go Streaming box are supported.

You can still use the Android mobile phone version and then screen mirroring to your TV (eg: Samsung and LG TV) or through a TV boxes supporting Miracast (many TV boxes support Miracast).

Last edited by xiaofan; 25-05-2019 at 01:08 PM..
Old 25-05-2019, 12:40 PM   #2005
Master Member

Toggle device compatibility list
https://www.toggle.sg/en/faq

Samsung, LG smart TV and Apple TV are supported. Chromecast dongles are also supported.

You will not be able to install Toggle on Android TV OS device. Report of Toggle's support of the Chromecast function inside Mi Box S is mixed. Some people reported issues. Need more inputs on using Toggle with the built-in Chromecast function of Android TV OS device.
Old 25-05-2019, 12:46 PM   #2006
Master Member

All in all, if you want to use legitimate streaming services like Netflix, HBO Go, SingTel Cast, SingTel TV Go, TVB Anywhere+, Starhub Go, etc, your best bet is official Android TV OS device like Mi Box S, Nvidia Shield TV and Sony/Sharp Android TV.

If you do not need TVB Anywhere+ and Starhub Go, Apple TV 4K is also a very good choice.
Old 25-05-2019, 12:49 PM   #2007
Master Member

Netflix 4K UHD
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444

Apple TV 4K, Chromecast Ultra Dongle, Official Android TV OS device, Samsung Tizen Smart TV, LG Web OS Smart TV, Roku 4k, Amazon Fire TV sticks 4k are supported.

For non TV devices, both the HDMI cable and the HDMI port on your TV must be HDCP 2.2 certified to successfully display Ultra HD content.

Last edited by xiaofan; 25-05-2019 at 12:53 PM..
Old 25-05-2019, 01:03 PM   #2008
Master Member

For my generic boxes, none of them are able to run Netflix 4K, SingTel Cast and SingTel TV Go. They are not able to run TVB Anywhere+ TV version either.

Some of them are able to run Toggle, Starhub Go and TVB Anywhere+ mobile version. For example, Tanix TX5 Max. YMMV depending on the boxes.

Last edited by xiaofan; 25-05-2019 at 01:07 PM..
Old 25-05-2019, 01:11 PM   #2009
Master Member

Repost from Page 94, with minor updates.

https://youtu.be/uzjC64FKzWo

The above is a good summary why Mi Box S is often recommended as the streaming device to go.

1) It is a streaming device which makes your TV smart or smarter than it is now. This is true for TVs like those Samsung Frozen OS based smart TV, LG Webos based smart TV and even Xiaomi TV running Patchwall Android based OS.

2) It runs official Google Certified Android TV OS which is easy to use.

3) Very good streaming support due to running Certified Android TV OS, Netflix 4K and YouTube 4K are supported.

TVB Anywhere+ is also supported. Along with SingTel Cast and SingTel TV Go.

4) Good bluetooth voice remote with Google Assistant

5) Chromecast 4k function built-in. This is one of the best feature of Mi Box S. You can use apps like Netflix, YouTube, Starhub Go, SingTel TV Go, Singtel Cast, Toggle, HBO Go, Viu Premium, etc, on the phone (iOS or Android) and then cast to your TV with this function. Basically this covers most of the popular Streaming services here in Singapore. Take note you can still use your phone for other things after the shows started on the TV. You can run Netflix, YouTube, SingTel TV Go and SingTelCast on Mi Box S itself as well.

In terms of cost, typical cost in Lazada/Qoo10/Shopee is around S$70-90, depending on offer and coupon. Take note Chromecast Ultra (4k support) itself cost more than S$100. Even the cheaper Chromecast (1080p) costs more than S$50.

Last edited by xiaofan; 25-05-2019 at 01:17 PM..
Old 25-05-2019, 01:15 PM   #2010
Master Member

The main disadvantages of Mi Box S are the following.
1) The author mentions relatively weak CPU and occasionally lag or skip frame if you set the interface resolution as 4k. Still it is actually very good for streaming and even casual gaming due to good software optimization.

2) Relatively limited interface, only one USB 2.0 port and no Ethernet interface. Still take note the Dual Band AC WiFi works well.

3) Relatively small 8GB storage but you can add a fast USB Flash Drive to expand the storage

Weakness point 2 can be fixed by buying UGreen USB 2.0 Hub with Ethernet as well.

Nvidia Shield TV (usually S$200++) have all the advantages of Mi Box S and none of the disadvantages of Mi Box S. It adds good gaming support to Mi Box S and the performance is still the king, beating Rockchip RK3399 and new Amlogic S922X boxes to the dust.

Last edited by xiaofan; 25-05-2019 at 01:20 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.