Android TV Box

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, just wondering how you all see this box? Can update ROM over the air? OEM version? can root and flash easily ?

Which box? The box I bought came rooted, there is also an update function but I seriously doubt OEM boxes will update so I just manually flash. However, if there's nothing wrong with the box, better don't flash :).

andyrmit

Reaction score
Ok you try first

I use Windows 10, just updated too so I'm sure it works on the latest Windows.

I tried using SD card but it didn't work.

Look for Amlogic_USB_Burning_Tool_v2.2.0 and Burn Card Maker 202. Burn Card Maker is for SD card but it didn't work for me.

Tentacles

Reaction score
Any apps with English subtitles for those Chinese drama show ? Like kissasian

Sent from Xiaomi POCOPHONE F1 using GAGT

limcheewang

Reaction score
Reliable and fast TV Box

Hi all,
I'm looking for a decent TV Box that is reliable (hopefully with good local support) and fast (I saw some in SimLim which are super laggy). I use it mostly for Netflix, Youtube and other TV streaming apps. I was looking at Minix T5, but it only have 2GB ram, so a little concern of the speed.

Any other suggestion will be very much appreciated?:)

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm looking for a decent TV Box that is reliable (hopefully with good local support) and fast (I saw some in SimLim which are super laggy). I use it mostly for Netflix, Youtube and other TV streaming apps. I was looking at Minix T5, but it only have 2GB ram, so a little concern of the speed.

Any other suggestion will be very much appreciated?:)

mibox s can do everything you wanted, if you don't mind spending more, get nvidia shield tv 2019 - the best tv box in the world.

these 2 boxes have 2GB RAM and they are fast enough.

who told you 2GB RAM is slow??

Minix T5 is not netflix-certified, can't play netflix video higher than 480p. Nevertheless, it has chromecast built-it, not sure whether you can get better resolution out of chromecast.

candy crush

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone use Android t9 before?

hFsajUK.png

eauyong

Reaction score
Agree with Gregory about mibox s 2GB ram/8GB storage running on S905X with Netflix HD L1 widevine hardware decoding, Google certified, chromecast but lacking in ports especially ethernet.

I would not go for Minix T5 even though it comes with ATV9.0 pie Google certified but as Gregory stated, this box is not Netflix certified and running netflix 540P software decoded. You may make it run Netflix 720P through Kodi but it is still SW decoded. Pushing it to 1080P is a hit-and-miss as the cpu (S905X2) may hit 100% and video will slack not to mention the 'heat'.

If I will to force the Netflix at 1080P SW decoding through Kodi Widevine/Inputstream, I would rather take my chance on the A95XF3 Air or the X96 Air with the S905X3 processor. My current S905X (antutu score 30k) is very good at 720P but 1080P cmi.

A95XF3 Air with 4GB ram/32GB storage android 9.0 at S$49.00 delivered. Antutu score at a high of 68k. Awaiting mine to test the SW decoding of Netflix at 1080P. :)

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Agree with Gregory about mibox s 2GB ram/8GB storage running on S905X with Netflix HD L1 widevine hardware decoding, Google certified, chromecast but lacking in ports especially ethernet.

I would not go for Minix T5 even though it comes with ATV9.0 pie Google certified but as Gregory stated, this box is not Netflix certified and running netflix 540P software decoded. You may make it run Netflix 720P through Kodi but it is still SW decoded. Pushing it to 1080P is a hit-and-miss as the cpu (S905X2) may hit 100% and video will slack not to mention the 'heat'.

If I will to force the Netflix at 1080P SW decoding through Kodi Widevine/Inputstream, I would rather take my chance on the A95XF3 Air or the X96 Air with the S905X3 processor. My current S905X (antutu score 30k) is very good at 720P but 1080P cmi.

A95XF3 Air with 4GB ram/32GB storage android 9.0 at S$49.00 delivered. Antutu score at a high of 68k. Awaiting mine to test the SW decoding of Netflix at 1080P. :)

For generic boxes with s905x chipset, you can run netflix at 1080p properly by using coreELEC.

It is achieved by booting up in coreELEC. A dualboot system on andriod box sounded troublesome and complicated, but in fact it is easy, you can switch from coreELEC to android or vice versa at a press of a key.

See the instructions here: (it is posted on my private FB group, and you need to join to view the post)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tvboxsgadv/permalink/373384513558277/

eauyong

Reaction score
For generic boxes with s905x chipset, you can run netflix at 1080p properly by using coreELEC.

It is achieved by booting up in coreELEC. A dualboot system on andriod box sounded troublesome and complicated, but in fact it is easy, you can switch from coreELEC to android or vice versa at a press of a key.

See the instructions here: (it is posted on my private FB group, and you need to join to view the post)

That is indeed what I have done and tested. Once, I forced the Max Resolution secured decoder to max of 1080P, the video will stuttered. Change back to 720P becomes smooth.
Running on the latest CoreELEC 9.2.2 and tested many hours and many videos on Netflix but if play from network, it is very good HW decode 1080P smoothly. Netflix is the culprit and forcing non licensed boxes (without DRM L1) to only SW streams. Local streaming therefore is smooth with CPU utilisation of few % each cores of the 4-cores.

It is unfair for Netflix to accept our monthly subscription fees but forced us to use only certain boxes (licenced boxes). As paying customers, we have a right to use any boxes, TV, laptop or computer and not dictated by the provider. Why should we buy Xiaomi box costing S$80 whereas we can spend much less at only S$50 for a better box. Just because Xiaomi paid fees to Netflix for a licence.

min-bandwidth.png

Last edited:

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Is there anywhere else to download the S905X3 Generic Image? I tried downloading but always incomplete due to slow speed.

Tyer

Master Member
Reaction score
Where did you buy it for S$49? Keen to buy too. My current minix NEO U1 just went dead.

limcheewang

Reaction score

Thanks a lot. Yes the mibox lacks a lot of ports. No microSD, ethernet and only 1 usb. Any other suggestion besides the expensive Nvidia.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.