HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree552Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2019, 06:06 PM   #2521

Can try this app: Microsoft exFAT NTFS for USB by Paragon Software.
eauyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 07:00 PM   #2522

https://androidpctv.com/xiaomi-mi-bo...v-9-pie-beta0/

Came across this. Wonder if it's a good thing
BiggieZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 07:18 PM   #2523
Master Member

https://androidpctv.com/xiaomi-mi-bo...v-9-pie-beta0/

Came across this. Wonder if it's a good thing
No point trying Beta software for Mi Box S. Actually you should hold the update for a while before things settle down. TV boxes are not the same as phone in this aspect.

Take note Xiaomi created a mess when they upgraded the Mi Box Global version from Android 6 to Android 8.0. It takes them quite some time to make it stable.

I understand the beta firmware may have the features you want. But better hold a bit, especially if you see the change log which says ChromeCast function is broken.
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 09:29 PM   #2524

No point trying Beta software for Mi Box S. Actually you should hold the update for a while before things settle down. TV boxes are not the same as phone in this aspect.

Take note Xiaomi created a mess when they upgraded the Mi Box Global version from Android 6 to Android 8.0. It takes them quite some time to make it stable.

I understand the beta firmware may have the features you want. But better hold a bit, especially if you see the change log which says ChromeCast function is broken.
ok noted. it will be an issue for those using chromecast often.
Old 13-11-2019, 10:01 PM   #2525
Master Member

https://shopee.sg/product/178877065/...158?smtt=0.0.9

For those who prefer local warranty for Mi Box S. The store has S$5 voucher to make it S$84.

This shop is shipping from China but has local warranty.
Old 13-11-2019, 10:24 PM   #2526

Hello,

Many months ago, I bought a cheap TV box in Sim Lim for $49, not knowing any better at the time and not knowing what else was out there, including legal options. I bought this to watch foreign TV channels, in particular Thai PBS and Indonesian and Malaysian TV channels to help me learn languages. The idea seems to be a good one (for learning languages). I have no interest watching premium content or series etc. e.g. HBO, sports channels etc.

I notice that there are a lot of news online that say that these TV boxes you can buy in Sim Lim are illegal. Please note - I want to do things legally, but if there is no free way to do it illegally, then I am going to not do it.

Can someone tell me the difference between a cheap TV box (especially if I uninstall any TV streaming apps etc) and a "legal" one? Other than hardware specs differences. Is there anything else that makes the cheap one illegal?

All the channels I want to watch are all available online via the broadcasters own websites:

- Thai PBS - https://program.thaipbs.or.th/live
- SCTV - https://www.sctv.co.id/live-streaming
- TV3 & 8TV - https://www.tonton.com.my/liveChannel?titleId=tv3

Given that these channels are all freely available from the broadcasters themselves (SCTV was even available via my analog TV until recently), then is watching them via a TV app (e.g. new CloudTV app) deemed illegal?

Thank you
Junglizt1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 10:56 PM   #2527
Master Member

I notice that there are a lot of news online that say that these TV boxes you can buy in Sim Lim are illegal. Please note - I want to do things legally, but if there is no free way to do it illegally, then I am going to not do it.

Can someone tell me the difference between a cheap TV box (especially if I uninstall any TV streaming apps etc) and a "legal" one? Other than hardware specs differences. Is there anything else that makes the cheap one illegal?

All the channels I want to watch are all available online via the broadcasters own websites:

- Thai PBS - https://program.thaipbs.or.th/live
- SCTV - https://www.sctv.co.id/live-streaming
- TV3 & 8TV - https://www.tonton.com.my/liveChannel?titleId=tv3

Given that these channels are all freely available from the broadcasters themselves (SCTV was even available via my analog TV until recently), then is watching them via a TV app (e.g. new CloudTV app) deemed illegal?

Thank you
I am not a lawyer so take my opinion with a pint of salt.

In Singapore context cheaper ones are usually not bundled with those illegal apps. More expensive ones from SLS/etc are usually preloaded box bundled with illegal apps. But expensive box like Nvidia Shield TV is legal since it is not bundled with illegal apps. So cheap or expensive does not really matter. It is the preloaded apps that is the key differentiator.

Boxes like Mi Box S should be legal. Boxes like Ubox is illegal or will be illegal.

As for new Cloud TV, it has the free section. The legality of the app is dubious as it also offers paid subscription which I believe is gray or illegal.

But it is said the law will chase those box seller and not really consumers using streaming (downloading is illegal). So you should not need to worry too much.
Old 14-11-2019, 07:20 PM   #2528

Between beelink gt king, gt1 mini n mini 2, which one is the best? I read all reviews n didn't know which is the best. N also which online retailers have warranty? Lazada n shopee didn't have for gt king boxes
Old 14-11-2019, 07:27 PM   #2529
Master Member

Between beelink gt king, gt1 mini n mini 2, which one is the best? I read all reviews n didn't know which is the best. N also which online retailers have warranty? Lazada n shopee didn't have for gt king boxes
No much difference between Mini 1 and Mini 2, except that Beelink GT1 Mini 2 uses latest Amlogic Spo5X3 CPU which has a little bit of better performance. However due to immature firmware it may perform less optimal than the Mini 1 using more mature S905X2 CPU.

As for warranty you have to check with the shop for more details. The build quality of Beelink is said to be pretty good.

Lazada has many listings for the Beelink GT-King S922X box. So does Shopee. That is a higher end box which is overkill unless you want to play games.

Last edited by xiaofan; 14-11-2019 at 08:36 PM..
Old 14-11-2019, 08:19 PM   #2530

No much difference except that Beelink GT1 Mini 2 uses latest Amlogic Spo5X3 CPU which has a little bit of better performance. However due to immature firmware it may perform less optimal than the Mini 1 using more mature S905X2 CPU.

As for warranty you have to check with the shop for more details. The build quality of Beelink is said to be pretty good.

Lazada has many listings for the Beelink GT-King S922X box. So does Shopee.
Sellers from both online retailers doesn't have warranties. Looking at other retailers such as geek buying etc for now
Old 14-11-2019, 08:21 PM   #2531
Arch-Supremacy Member

Usually no warranty.
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 08:30 PM   #2532
Master Member

Sellers from both online retailers doesn't have warranties. Looking at other retailers such as geek buying etc for now
If you think those online shops (Gearbest, Banggood, GeekBuying ) got better warranty, then you can look at official Tanix TX3 or TX5 Pro from Gearbest, not as famous as Beelink but much cheaper. Quality should still be pretty good.

Tanix TX3 4GB/32GB at S$59.71, S905X3
Tanix TX5 Pro 4GB/32GB at S$67.86, S905X2
Price from Gearbest App.

Local shops usually carry OEM version of Tanix boxes without Tanix logo and I will not recommend them since there are reports of bad quality. I myself have two OEM boxes TX5 Max (very good) and TX6 (not good because of thermal issues, using it with a USB fan and it becomes a good box). YMMV.

Local online shops seem to offer low end original Tanix TX3 Mini and TX3 Max boxes with Tanix logo, but the cost is similar to higher configuration boxes like TX3 S905X3. They are good low end boxes (need to buy the 2GB/16GB version) for 1080p streaming and I recommended them last year as the good quality sub-S$50 boxes. But you may want to buy better configuration boxes now at similar price.

Gearbest original Tanix box price with 2GB/16GB.
TX3 Mini at US$30.3, S905W, no Bluetooth
TX3 Max at US$35 with Bluetooth, S905W
TX3 @ S$34, no Bluetooth, S905X3, with USB 3.0

Also TX9S 2GB/8GB S912 is at US$25, no Bluetooth but with Gigabit Ethernet

TX8 RK3318 box 4GB/32GB is at US$35 with dual band WiFi, Bluetooth and USB 3.0.
darr likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 14-11-2019 at 10:34 PM..
Old 14-11-2019, 11:34 PM   #2533

I am not a lawyer so take my opinion with a pint of salt.

In Singapore context cheaper ones are usually not bundled with those illegal apps. More expensive ones from SLS/etc are usually preloaded box bundled with illegal apps. But expensive box like Nvidia Shield TV is legal since it is not bundled with illegal apps. So cheap or expensive does not really matter. It is the preloaded apps that is the key differentiator.

Boxes like Mi Box S should be legal. Boxes like Ubox is illegal or will be illegal.

As for new Cloud TV, it has the free section. The legality of the app is dubious as it also offers paid subscription which I believe is gray or illegal.

But it is said the law will chase those box seller and not really consumers using streaming (downloading is illegal). So you should not need to worry too much.
Thanks for your reply and thoughts. Mine is branded MX Q Pro on the outside but has the IGBOX-1 logo when I boot it up. There is an Appstore full of apps you can download (I presume most of these are grey / illegal).

If an app is available through legal channels for my phone (e.g. It looks like Thai PBS have their own app and I need to figure out how I can get the tonton app), can I assume it should most likely be okay to run on the box?

Thanks for your help
Junglizt1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 06:41 AM   #2534
Master Member

Thanks for your reply and thoughts. Mine is branded MX Q Pro on the outside but has the IGBOX-1 logo when I boot it up. There is an Appstore full of apps you can download (I presume most of these are grey / illegal).

If an app is available through legal channels for my phone (e.g. It looks like Thai PBS have their own app and I need to figure out how I can get the tonton app), can I assume it should most likely be okay to run on the box?

Thanks for your help
Do not worry about using New Cloud TV app.

But if you are really worried, then you can use the official apps. Since the box runs phone version of Android, the phone app will usually work. There are some exceptions because some apps check for root, then these apps may not work (eg: SingTel Cast and SingTel TV Go) because of root.
Old 15-11-2019, 10:09 PM   #2535
Master Member

https://s.lazada.sg/s.71ea
11.11 flash sell for Mi Box S at S$70. Ending in two hours.

It also has S$3 voucher. I just placed order myself even though I do not really need another box, in fact this is my first Lazada order (usually using Taobao) and I got another S$6 voucher as new user. So only need to pay S$61.
First time buying stuff from Lazada and the delivery is pretty fast. Received the package in my mail box today. Setup is pretty easy, WiFi is pretty fast. I am not so used to the bluetooth remote yet so I still use my keyboard and mouse more often (but mouse right button does not work as back key as other boxes). I use my powered USB 2.0 hub (many ports) with the box but I will try the Ugreen Hub with Ethernet later as well. A cheap air mouse works as well. Android TV Remote app on my Android phone works as well.

Pretty easy to side load 3rd party apps. I am using it with an 1080p monitor and the UI is still pretty smooth.

SingTel TV Go and SingTel Cast work fine (all my other boxes do not work).

I have disabled the Netflix channel (not using Netflix) and other channels, the home screen is now pretty clean.

BTW it comes with 2pin power plug but the seller gives a free 3pin adapter and a free remote soft case.

Last edited by xiaofan; 16-11-2019 at 02:18 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.