HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree552Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2019, 10:46 PM   #2581
Master Member

Last time cannot watch on official Android TV os app without paying. If now this restriction has been lifted I'm gonna cancel my premium.

Sent from Xiaomi MI 9T PRO using GAGT
Yes I can confirm that the restrictions have been lifted. Nice move from TVB.
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 10:56 PM   #2582

Yes it works. I just tried it, no need the complicated method I used before.

Now they allow the free member to pair the app by scanning the bar code on TV screen. Nice.

I did not notice this a few days ago and I only read the other option which is to pay for the premium membership.
Wah hope it’s not a glitch and can continue to watch. Been using those China websites to watch but most of them only 480p and mostly in Mandarin
bodohboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 09:48 PM   #2583
Master Member

Beelink GT-King (Pro) Android 9.0 #TVBox now supports dual OS with #CoreELEC, and the company plans to offer a free SD card pre-loaded with CoreELEC.

https://www.cnx-software.com/2019/11...-microsd-card/
Old 02-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #2584
Master Member

tried to install amazon video apk to my mibox s, cannot load. then i found out that amazon video doesn't work with tv box, but apparently there's something in the works, with the new update.

anyone tried?

i'll go back and check it out.

sidenote; am i able to manually search for updates for the mibox?
zephyr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:22 PM   #2585
Master Member

tried to install amazon video apk to my mibox s, cannot load. then i found out that amazon video doesn't work with tv box, but apparently there's something in the works, with the new update.

anyone tried?

you are supposed to run on handphone and chromecast to mibox s.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #2586
Master Member

anyone tried?

No Amazon account so can not try.

But yes it is said that Amazon Prime Video will come to Android TV OS with the agreement between Google and Amazon.

Previously for official Android TV OS devices, only Nvidia Shield TV supports Amazon Prime Video, with a special arrangement between Amazon and Nvidia.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:21 PM   #2587

I’m running Prime Video on my Mibox. You have to side load apk. Doesn’t work too well with remote and sometimes you’ll have to use a mouse to select your video. Casting from phone app may be more convenient.

anyone tried?

mmchaisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:10 PM   #2588
Master Member

^^^^^^^^^^^

i get the same problems, thought i suay, so it app problem, yea, the app quite ****, and sometimes no sound, sometimes hang, i actually haven't watched 1 complete program yet.
zephyr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:11 PM   #2589
Master Member

^^^^^^^^^^^

i get the same problems, thought i suay, so it app problem, yea, the app quite ****, and sometimes no sound, sometimes hang, i actually haven't watched 1 complete program yet.
amazon never allow you to install on mibox.

amazon only allow you to chromecast from phone to mibox.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:22 PM   #2590
Master Member

amazon never allow you to install on mibox.

amazon only allow you to chromecast from phone to mibox.
They are rolling out to more Android TV OS devices, hopefully Mi Box S will get it soon.

https://www.blog.google/products/chr...utube-fire-tv/

Amazon Fire TV devices will get YouTube and Google Chromecast and Android TV OS devices will get Amazon Prime Video (rolling out to Chromecast first and selected Android TV).

=======
Article written on 9 July 2019
In addition to the select Android TV devices that currently have Prime Video, many more Android TV smart TVs, set-top boxes and streaming devices will also soon have Prime Video, with rollout starting today. You can download Prime Video by clicking the app icon directly from your home screen or in Google Play.
========
Old 02-12-2019, 08:23 PM   #2591
Master Member

They are rolling out to more Android TV OS devices, hopefully Mi Box S will get it soon.

https://www.blog.google/products/chr...utube-fire-tv/

Amazon Fire TV devices will get YouTube and Google Chromecast and Android TV OS devices will get Amazon Prime Video (rolling out to Chromecast first and selected Android TV).

=======
Article written on 9 July 2019
In addition to the select Android TV devices that currently have Prime Video, many more Android TV smart TVs, set-top boxes and streaming devices will also soon have Prime Video, with rollout starting today. You can download Prime Video by clicking the app icon directly from your home screen or in Google Play.
========
wait until you can find it in playstore, else you can only chromecast. nothing wrong with the app, amazon purposely make it not workable if sideload handphone version, or shield version.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:23 PM   #2592

Is fire tv stick still worth buying ? since Netflix etc is available in most newer TV sets nowadays
bwaysaikryptonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:35 AM   #2593
Master Member

Is fire tv stick still worth buying ? since Netflix etc is available in most newer TV sets nowadays
If your goal is just Netflix and the apps on the smart TV, then probably no need.

It all depends on the apps you want to use and the TV you are using.

Samsung/LG smart TV have limited apps available and in reality are not so smart. For example, even if your goal is Netflix, US Netflix to be exact, you need apps like VPN (say to access US Netflix). But the VPN apps are not available. So you have to go through extra steps. In the end you may find it is good to buy Mi Box S or Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K as the companion to enjoy more apps.

Ref: https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...07778-232.html

VPN is just one example. TVB Anywhere+ is another example, you need to use Android TV based TV or box like Mi Box S (not recommended to use FireTV Stick).

SingTel Cast is available on Samsung TV but not LG. So that is another example.

There are many examples.

On the other hand, if your TV runs Android TV OS (eg: SonyTV) have lots of apps from the store or can side load apps. In that case you may not need an Android TV boxes. That being said, you may still find it good to have an Android TV boxes necessary if your model has sluggish performance after loading more apps.

Last edited by xiaofan; 03-12-2019 at 07:43 AM..
Old 03-12-2019, 07:48 AM   #2594
Master Member

Another thing, in Singapore context, Mi Box S is usually a better choice than Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, mainly because it supports Chromecast (to cast to TV for apps like Srarhub Go), and natively support apps like SingTel TV Go, SingTel Cast and TVB Anywhere+.

As for the basic FireTV Stick (not 4k), they are not recommended because of low HW specifications. FireTV Stick 4K is good, especially if you get at lower cost from Amazon. But you may want to check your needs and see if it is better to buy Mi Box S instead.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:18 AM   #2595

What's an affordable box with a fast chip and SD card slot, if want to play some games? I am comparing the generic Android boxes and Minix, but Minix seems to be the same models from few years ago, dunno if worth buying.
elanwy is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.