Android TV Box

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How do you get to the screen where there are 1000 channels on the left screen?
All I see is previously are 2 person sitting on a sofa with TV heads and a 10% user loading icon below

ask the seller, you paid premium price so you should get premium service from him.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your excellent insight.

I have no hesitation in paying for the legal TV services.

All I want is to watch these two TV news channels which were available previously from my 'infinite' TV box. They are MSNBC and CNN USA , not CNN international which I can get from my existing StarHub TV subscription.

I have check StarHubGo that you mentioned but they don't have these two channels. Incidentally the 'infinite' TV box have 1000 channels compared to 50 from StarHubGo.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

For CNN USA, I think using CNN Go App with a VPN is the way to go.

Ref:
https://www.technadu.com/how-to-watch-cnn-go-outside-us/20945/

https://thevpn.guru/stream-cnngo-live-outside-usa-watch-uk-australia-canada

Same for MSNBC. VPN is the way to go.
https://thevpn.guru/unblock-msnbc-outside-usa/

You may want to ask in the VPN thread which has lots of good info.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...st-vpn-provider-your-opinion-3807778-167.html

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Death for the fully loaded box probably and death for those unofficial paid IPTV services which anyway are not worth buying in the first place.

Buy good quality box like Mi Box S (S$70-90) or Nvidia Shield TV. Or cheaper box like Tanix TX3 Mini or Tanix TX3 Max if your budget is about S$40- S$50 if you do not need Netflix.

If you worry about unofficial streaming, use official legal apps then like Toggle, TVB Anywhere, Starhub Go, Netflix, Viu, Apple Music, Spotify, etc. Note: you may need to use your mobile and the built-in Chromecast function for some of this apps for Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV.

BTW, there are always different preferences in terms of getting the contents.

1) Some people (some of them less tech savvy) pay for conveniences but less on quality. These fully loaded boxes (one time payment or subscription) probably belongs to this type. With the crackdown on the pirate streams, this may not be a viable way to go, even for pretty established vendor like Unblock Tech and Evpad, let alone smaller vendors selling on IT Show and Shopping Mall.

2) Some people pay for quality along with conveniences. Singtel TV and Starhub TV services belong to this type. Paid premium services like Netflix belong to this type as well.

3) Some people pay for quality and are willing to spend efforts to get better content. Paying for VPN to get US Netflix might not be a good example, buying Blu-ray disc and spend time on 4K home theatre set up may be a better example.

4) Some people (some of them tech savvy) do not want to pay but rather spend time to find alternative ways to get the contents. Finding alternative apps (some perfectly legal and some grey) and torrent probably belong to this type.

5) Some use a mix of the above strategy depending on the content availability.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

There is an app called "mobdro", it has these channels, VPN not required.

datolim

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick response. It looks like this is what I need.
However I am not computer savvy and have only recently heard of 'VPN'.
I need to pass this on to my son and hopefully he can set this up for me.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

You can try Mobdro first to see if you like it or not. IMHO the content is comprehensive but the video quality is so so.

datolim

Reaction score
I just like to let you know that for people not computer savvy we need the fully loaded TV Box so that we can just plug in and play.

Yes I paid 3 or 4 times what you paid.

Up to now I have been trying to teach my wife how to watch the Korean drama series but she has to go through 4 or 5 steps and it is beyond her.

don't think that the tv channels from 'infinite' tv box are legal , or may be worst case for you - not working

may be you should go small claim Tribunals to get your refund if the seller told you otherwise.

next time buy your boxes online at 1/3 or 1/4 the price and install free working apps yourself.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just like to let you know that for people not computer savvy we need the fully loaded TV Box so that we can just plug in and play.

Yes I paid 3 or 4 times what you paid.

Up to now I have been trying to teach my wife how to watch the Korean drama series but she has to go through 4 or 5 steps and it is beyond her.

don't have to go through 4-5 steps, you just need to install one right app and don't have to be computer savvy.

it is illegal to sell fully loaded tv box, and many buyers of such boxes faced problems after a few weeks with disabled app or non-working app and go to to seller for them to be milked.

datolim

Reaction score
don't have to go through 4-5 steps, you just need to install one right app and don't have to be computer savvy.

it is illegal to sell fully loaded tv box, and many buyers of such boxes faced problems after a few weeks with disabled app or non-working app and go to to seller for them to be milked.

It is only illegal from last month onwards. Nothing wrong with the apps. Just blocked by the government. Haven't tried the app you suggested. Hope the video works O.K and not block by the government.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is only illegal from last month onwards. Nothing wrong with the apps. Just blocked by the government. Haven't tried the app you suggested. Hope the video works O.K and not block by the government.

in jan 2018, one of the sellers for these fully loaded boxes was sued.

better not to buy these box else you may stand to lose the money the next day you bought the box.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Why illegal from last month onwards?

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
in jan 2018, one of the sellers for these fully loaded boxes was sued.

better not to buy these box else you may stand to lose the money the next day you bought the box.

I thought the court has no justification yet as the hearing of the case will be in coming June. I hope the case will be settle out of court.

HWmichael

Reaction score
newbee here seek help. Just bought xiaomi box and really good to watch Netflix and yutubu. Can anyone help how to install Chinese Live TV and dramas. Thanks

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
newbee here seek help. Just bought xiaomi box and really good to watch Netflix and yutubu. Can anyone help how to install Chinese Live TV and dramas. Thanks

There are many apps available for Chinese Entertainment.

You can refer to the thread here.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...-discussion-ii-[consolidated]-5537957-27.html

Some of the apps I am using myself.

VOD: you can pay for Youku VIP, roughly RMB15 or S$3 per month. I paid through Taobao 88VIP and it is only 88RMB per year which gives you Youku and Xiami Music VIP for one year. No need VPN based on my experiences.

IPTV:
华文电视 is the legal Chinese Live TV apps approved by Chinese government targeting overseas Chinese market.
http://www.5itv.tv/

You can also cast from your phone as Mi Box global version has Chromecast function built-in.

I used to start a thread about Android Chinese Entertainment apps but it was deleted by the admins. Interestingly the iPhone Chinese Entertainment thread is still there -- probably because all apps are from Apple App Store and no side load of apps.

Ref: https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...phone-chinese-entertainment-apps-5929935.html

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Sorry I just tried using free VPN services (with US server so that I got US IP address) with CNN app and it is asking for US TV services provider user name and password. So apparently the VPN instructions are towards people who already have the CNN US TV subscription in the US but want to access the contents outside of US. Therefore using CNNgo and VPN will not work for you.

I believe it is the same for MSNBC.

Therefore you may have to use Mobdro first to see if you like it or not.

More info about CNN and MSNBC targeting US consumers without cable TV subscription, for your reference only.
https://cordcutting.com/how-to-watch-msnbc-without-cable/
https://cordcutting.com/how-to-watch-cnn-without-cable/

Last edited:

datolim

Reaction score
Only some app banned and there are so many app that can be use to watch. No problem at all.

No problem at all?
I spend many hours a day watching MSNBC and CNN USA. Cannot do that any more. Two weeks ago they block the main apps and then two days ago they block the sub apps. I am sure they are working all the way down the line. If your apps is still usable then good luck to you.

Last edited:

datolim

Reaction score
Sorry I just tried using free VPN services (with US server so that I got US IP address) with CNN app and it is asking for US TV services provider user name and password. So apparently the VPN instructions are towards people who already have the CNN US TV subscription in the US but want to access the contents outside of US. Therefore using CNNgo and VPN will not work for you.

I believe it is the same for MSNBC.

Therefore you may have to use Mobdro first to see if you like it or not.

More info about CNN and MSNBC targeting US consumers without cable TV subscription, for your reference only.
https://cordcutting.com/how-to-watch-msnbc-without-cable/
https://cordcutting.com/how-to-watch-cnn-without-cable/
Have to wait for my son to load this apps as I don't know how to do it myself. Have you check if it has been block already.

If it has then what alternative is there.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.