HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree552Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #706

Remember I went last pc show that some did preload with apps and price under $100 looks like good deal.
Good deal if u want spend $50 on a box and another 50 for someone to install apps for u.

I think I got a new business idea Liao. Charge ppl $50 to install apps like Facebook , WhatsApp on their phone...
squarepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 05:19 PM   #707
Master Member

Good deal if u want spend $50 on a box and another 50 for someone to install apps for u.
Worse is that the box may be only worth S$30 (eg: RK3229 based box with 1GB memory and 8GB flash).

Eg: https://s.lazada.sg/s.Y1ij
Example of an S$30 box, which may have the same spec as the S$100 box selling at IT show.

More problematic is that often the app will not work well after a while and then they will charge you again to reinstall new apps. That is why some call these IT Show or Shopping Centre Android TV Boxes (including those in Sim Lim Square) “scam box”.

Last edited by xiaofan; 20-11-2018 at 05:34 PM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 10:53 PM   #708
Master Member

Worse is that the box may be only worth S$30 (eg: RK3229 based box with 1GB memory and 8GB flash).

Eg: https://s.lazada.sg/s.Y1ij
Example of an S$30 box, which may have the same spec as the S$100 box selling at IT show.

More problematic is that often the app will not work well after a while and then they will charge you again to reinstall new apps. That is why some call these IT Show or Shopping Centre Android TV Boxes (including those in Sim Lim Square) “scam box”.
Box support Netflix assume need to subscribe, with chrome cast is to stream from other device. If I don’t need both, which box can recommend ? Thank you first
homedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 11:14 PM   #709
Master Member

Box support Netflix assume need to subscribe, with chrome cast is to stream from other device. If I don’t need both, which box can recommend ? Thank you first
Cheap and good enough one, try Tanix TX3 Max, about S$50 from Shopee or Lazada, Amlogic S905W CPU, 2GB/16GB model, my Brother-in-law got one and so far so good. Tanix TX3 Mini is slightly lower cost at about S$40 but does not have Bluetooth.

More expensive one depends on your budget.
Old 21-11-2018, 07:25 AM   #710
Master Member

Cheap and good enough one, try Tanix TX3 Max, about S$50 from Shopee or Lazada, Amlogic S905W CPU, 2GB/16GB model, my Brother-in-law got one and so far so good. Tanix TX3 Mini is slightly lower cost at about S$40 but does not have Bluetooth.

More expensive one depends on your budget.
Then can just install Kodi etc on our own? How about minix?
ktyandkyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 08:07 AM   #711
Master Member

Then can just install Kodi etc on our own? How about minix?
Yes. Usually the Tanix box will come with Kodi installed. If not or you can install from Google Play Store. Same for Minix.

Other than official Google Play Store, you can also side load other apps which are not available from Play Store.

Go to local Facebook “New TV Box SG” for more info on apps.

Both will be a good Kodi Box. Minix is of course much higher end than the Tanix.

Kodi forum review of Minix Neo U9-H
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=308251

Review of Tanix TX3 Max.
https://dimitrology.com/2018/03/17/r...tanix-tx3-max/

Tanix has a S912 Box as well at S$83 from Lazada, 3GB/32GB Version, it is less popular than TX3 Mini and TX3 Max.

One thing to mention is better to have wired Ethernet connection for cheaper Android TV Box without external antenna, most of them do not have good WiFi performance.
Old 21-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #712
Master Member

sorry noob here...
better to use TV box compared to Chrome Cast?
How about Nvidia Shield TV?

Last edited by Asure7; 21-11-2018 at 05:35 PM..
Asure7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 06:46 PM   #713
Master Member

sorry noob here...
better to use TV box compared to Chrome Cast?
How about Nvidia Shield TV?
Chromecast:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromecast
You use web apps or mobile apps on your Android/iOS device or PC/Mac to “cast” to TV. You can not install apps it standalone (other than as a TV Screen Saver).

Normal Android TV box (running phone version of Android OS or unofficial Android TV OS): you can install apps, similar to Android phones, no Chromecast function, but you can have Miracast or Airplay function by installing some apps

Mi Box Global Version: running certified Android TV OS = Android TV Box + Chromecast

Nvidia Shield TV: running certified Android TV OS = best Android TV box + Chromecast + Low end gaming machine
Old 21-11-2018, 08:54 PM   #714
Master Member

Yes. Usually the Tanix box will come with Kodi installed. If not or you can install from Google Play Store. Same for Minix.

Other than official Google Play Store, you can also side load other apps which are not available from Play Store.

Go to local Facebook “New TV Box SG” for more info on apps.

Both will be a good Kodi Box. Minix is of course much higher end than the Tanix.

Kodi forum review of Minix Neo U9-H
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=308251

Review of Tanix TX3 Max.
https://dimitrology.com/2018/03/17/r...tanix-tx3-max/

Tanix has a S912 Box as well at S$83 from Lazada, 3GB/32GB Version, it is less popular than TX3 Mini and TX3 Max.

One thing to mention is better to have wired Ethernet connection for cheaper Android TV Box without external antenna, most of them do not have good WiFi performance.
Thank you. I most likely will settle for tanix max. Just wooneering what's the purpose of getting a high end box like Minix? And may I know any recommendations on where to putchase tanix? Thanks n sry for seeking quick inputs
Old 21-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #715
Master Member

Thank you. I most likely will settle for tanix max. Just wooneering what's the purpose of getting a high end box like Minix? And may I know any recommendations on where to putchase tanix? Thanks n sry for seeking quick inputs
I am a newbie when it comes to online shopping since I still like physical store like Challenger. And my Android boxes were bought from Taobao as part of my wife’s purchase since she is my shifu when it comes to online shopping.

Still there are quite a few shops
in Lazada/Shopee selling Tanix TX3 Max at around S$50. You can check which shop is more reliable.

As for higher end box like Minix U9-H, it has faster CPU, dual band AC wifi, Gigabit Ethernet, better long term support and better brand name. WiFi can be a miss for low end system so you may need to consider this if you can not use wired Ethernet. You mostly do not need faster CPU and Gigabit for Streaming. But faster CPU can be a good thing for Kodi and light gaming.

Last edited by xiaofan; 21-11-2018 at 09:39 PM..
Old 22-11-2018, 08:18 AM   #716
Master Member

It should be better than the older one because of the added AC wifi support. That being said it seems not so easily available in Singapore.

NVidia Shield TV is at a different class than Mi Box and if the cost is not a concern by all means get it. If cost is a concern then get Mi Box if you need official Google certified Android TV.

For those who do not need official Google certified Android TV, another option is the FireTV devices from Amazon, pretty easy to side load apps from what I read.

After the above, you can also consider non-Android choices like Roku and Apple TV (for Apple device users).

Google Chromecast is another good device to have even though it is built-in for Official Android TV device like the Mi Box.

After the above, then it comes to generic Android OS based TV box where you can try better brand like Zidoo, Beelink or Minix if you do not want to venture with lower end boxes.

List of TOP 10 Android TV box review
https://youtu.be/HGs8yF5VOvU
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Lm1LQ/htmlview

Nvidia Shield is No 1 and Mi Box is No 4.
No 2 and 3 are for people who want to play a bit of game and big Kodi build and do not need Netflix.
Sorry, if I'm interested in no.2 based on the spreadsheet, ie H96, I def couldn't do Netflix via that device?
Old 22-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #717
Master Member

Sorry, if I'm interested in no.2 based on the spreadsheet, ie H96, I def couldn't do Netflix via that device?
480p only for Netflix, I think it does not make sense to pay for Netflix if you can only get 480p.

There is no point to get RK3399 based boxes IMHO, because of the high cost and no real benefits, with the exception probably for running big Kodi build. For example, the following nice lady from Malaysia has a quite popular YouTube channel talking about Kodi and other Android TV box apps (unfortunately her previous channel was closed by YouTube and this is her new channel).She likes X99 RK3399 Box because of the smoothness of the system. But definitely not for Netflix.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC_7-6..._as=subscriber
Old 22-11-2018, 04:28 PM   #718
Master Member

Which shop to get the Tanix TX3 Max inthe show?
homedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 05:01 PM   #719
Master Member

Which shop to get the Tanix TX3 Max in the show?
I do not think you will get Tanix TX3 Max box at S$50 from IT show. Usually they are selling high price Low spec box with Apps loaded to mark up the price. Your best bet is to get from Lazada/Shopee.

Same for Mi Box or Nvidia Shield TV, you will not get them from IT show, rather you get Mi Box from Lazada/Shopee and Nvidia Shield TV from Amazon respectively.
Old 22-11-2018, 05:02 PM   #720
Master Member

Which shop to get the Tanix TX3 Max inthe show?
You have to pay $100 -$300 for a box in the show.

The sellers install a few free apps downloaded from internet and talk as if they are proprietary app developed by them.

Buy online from shopee/lazada cheaper and better.
Medicated Oil likes this.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.