HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree552Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2018, 09:16 PM   #796
Master Member

Do you use the keyboard+ mouse on a table? I find it not so convenient on a sofa.

Posted from PCWX using ALP-L29
Haha my use case is rather atypical, my Android boxes are connected to my 24 inch Dell monitor.

My TV has SingTel TV, Chromecast 1st gen and Apple TV 3rd gen connected to it. TV is mostly for the kids.

But you can put a small table between the sofa and the TV.
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2018, 11:08 PM   #797

Haha my use case is rather atypical, my Android boxes are connected to my 24 inch Dell monitor.

My TV has SingTel TV, Chromecast 1st gen and Apple TV 3rd gen connected to it. TV is mostly for the kids.

But you can put a small table between the sofa and the TV.
Thks for sharing.
Think I may just go for MX3 since its not too costly.

raintr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 01:00 AM   #798

For Nvidia shield, if it's just loading Kodi, i worried that I will be underutilizing the box. Beside really gaming, may I know what other stuff that ppl typically do to maximise the cost paid for the shield?
Nividia shield is very smooth even if u use YouTube. I had those $40 box and the experience is a vastly different. You get what u paid.

Sent from Google using GAGT
c1steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 08:31 AM   #799
Supremacy Member

Thks for sharing.
Think I may just go for MX3 since its not too costly.

I using this. Got it last week for around $7.45 after coins and voucher discount.

Https://shopee.sg/keepdreaming.sg/1527145285?version=4e4cfdff416c69592ab42d56cc6f5735

Not too bad, just need a while to get used to the mouse navigation.

Total 5 learning buttons (1 main + 4 small buttons) use it to on/off the android box, tv, dvb-t2 box and change tv source.

Not able to use the voice commend but i guess Tanix does not have voice search in the first place.
Sambuca78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #800

I think the mibox is a much better Chromecast replacement. Not only can it do 4k, it's also much more responsive compared to a Chromecast and run android TV stuff as well.

If u get those non androidtv os boxes you have to get a seperate Chromecast which is not convinent.
squarepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 08:39 AM   #801
Master Member

Nividia shield is very smooth even if u use YouTube. I had those $40 box and the experience is a vastly different. You get what u paid.

Thanks thanks! I'm hooting one from Newegg, but sadly no controller.. my colleague say Minix u9 also good
ktyandkyc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #802

Android TV name tanted with the likes of piracy liao use to be a good android TV experience with the official device like mi box or Nvidia shield.

Now ppl get those no brand box just for pirated streams and spoil the image of android TV.
Old 26-11-2018, 08:45 AM   #803
Master Member

Android TV name tanted with the likes of piracy liao use to be a good android TV experience with the official device like mi box or Nvidia shield.

Now ppl get those no brand box just for pirated streams and spoil the image of android TV.
But it's the same as using official box like nvidia rite.. it's the apps that u install
Old 26-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #804

But it's the same as using official box like nvidia rite.. it's the apps that u install
The Nvidia shield got completly different experience with the androidTV interface not phone skin launcher u get with no brand box, Google assistant integration, ability to play DRM content like netflix etc, actual Chromecast built in, and actual software updates (from android 6 to 8 ) not the 1 or 2 time updates u get with those off brand box.
Old 26-11-2018, 08:50 AM   #805
Master Member

The Nvidia shield got completly different experience with the androidTV interface not phone skin launcher u get with no brand box, Google assistant integration, ability to play DRM content like netflix etc, actual Chromecast built in, and actual software updates (from android 6 to 8 ) not the 1 or 2 time updates u get with those off brand box.
Icic but I mean (not that I'm a detractor of nvidia) that ppl can still use the box to watch pirated streams as well! Hahaha
Old 26-11-2018, 08:52 AM   #806

Icic but I mean (not that I'm a detractor of nvidia) that ppl can still use the box to watch pirated streams as well! Hahaha
I am not a fan of those streams unless they are live tv. Those streams are super low bitrate and looks like crap on a 4k TV. I personally put in the effort to torrent high bitrate videos to my Nas and use Kodi or Plex to play on my TV box.

Last edited by squarepipe; 26-11-2018 at 08:55 AM..
Old 26-11-2018, 09:38 AM   #807
Master Member

I am not a fan of those streams unless they are live tv. Those streams are super low bitrate and looks like crap on a 4k TV. I personally put in the effort to torrent high bitrate videos to my Nas and use Kodi or Plex to play on my TV box.
That is true, most of the live TV apps do not give 1080p let alone 4K (many are not even 720p). So yes you need to manage expectations. That being said SingTel TV and StarHub TV are also mainly only 720p/1080i.

On the other hand to me torrent downloading of licensed content is really problematic (or just say illegal) in terms of legality, the court can sue you based on the request of the rights holder.

Streaming is a rather okay (or a bit gray) in terms of legality. The rights holder will sue the illegal IPTV providers or order ISP to block them (even to sue the market place provider like Google or Apple) but not the user of the streaming apps.

Disclaimer: IANAL so take the above as a grain of salt.

Ref: Singapore ISP ordered to block torrent sites

https://torrentfreak.com/singapore-i...action-180521/

Last edited by xiaofan; 26-11-2018 at 09:43 AM..
Old 26-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #808
Master Member

As for VOD, there are legal programs providing 1080p or 4K Streaming and people are willing to pay, problem is that they are Geo-blocked. So you have to use VPN and pay for subscription. People here are doing that to access US version of Netflix or other apps like Tencent Video In China through VPN. Netflix 4k is not easy though. Tencent Video VIP access is mostly 1080p only.
Old 26-11-2018, 12:14 PM   #809

On the other hand to me torrent downloading of licensed content is really problematic (or just say illegal) in terms of legality, the court can sue you based on the request of the rights holder.

Streaming is a rather okay (or a bit gray) in terms of legality. The rights holder will sue the illegal IPTV providers or order ISP to block them (even to sue the market place provider like Google or Apple) but not the user of the streaming apps.

Disclaimer: IANAL so take the above as a grain of salt.

Ref: Singapore ISP ordered to block torrent sites

https://torrentfreak.com/singapore-i...action-180521/
So as long as there isn't a way to trace the individual that download the torrent, the IP holder won't be successful in getting compensation form the copyright infinger.

Last time the IP holder of Dallas buyers club sent letters demanding compensation form the copyright infinger our court threw out the case as it claims the IP address is insufficient evidence to trace the individual who download content illegally.
dryteletubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #810

How much do you pay for the box and the shipping back fee?

I do not even bother to return my S$30 RK3239 box. I wanted to buy a Allwinner H3 box (not good either for Streaming , maybe worse than RK3229, but good to run Linux), unfortunately the seller shipped the wrong version to me. I just kept it since it still works.
Pay the box for $40. Decided not to ship back as I think the shipping fee is more than $15.

c1steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.