HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree552Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2019, 03:05 PM   #976
Master Member

Not all apk in the android play store are available in Starhub Streaming Box's play store and if it is not there it will not work or you can not install it.
another BS again
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 03:26 PM   #977

Proceed to Step 2. Download the apk and install.

If this is too difficult to you, then you have to wait for your son to help.
As I play and click around on my Android box I find that I can get CNN Go and MSNBC on the YouTube channel. Sure it is not fresh content and they have at least a 2 hour lag time. But the video is StarHub quality. For breaking news I can always go back to CNN international on StarHub. So can still use my Android box.

Accidentally there is an icon for Apkinstaller in the Apps box but I can't seem to get it going. Have to check with my son.
JohnTKS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:16 PM   #978

If you do not like Mobdro after trying, you can still use the official " CNN Breaking US & World News " app from Google Play Store even though you will not have access to live TV and VOD section. It still provides many US news as it happens.

Introduction in the Google Play Store for this official CNN app. Choose US Edition in the setting.

When you want to know what’s happening, tap into the global news gathering power of CNN. With correspondents and bureaus reporting from across the world, no other news source even comes close.

• Custom alert settings - stay informed without getting overwhelmed
• Watch live CNN, CNNi or HLN television anywhere, anytime*
• Experience the world of breaking news through in-depth stories, photo galleries and news clips.
• Watch CNN Original Series like “Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown”, CNN news programs like “Anderson Cooper 360” and award-winning CNN Films.

Video on Demand and Live TV limited to US consumers.

*first 10 minutes free each day, log in with your US satellite or cable provider credentials for unlimited viewing.
Just install CNN USA breaking news from Google Play Store. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:26 PM   #979
Master Member

Not all apk in the android play store are available in Starhub Streaming Box's play store and if it is not there it will not work or you can not install it.
Since you own the Go Streaming Box, you may want to try to side load apps not available in its Play Store to see if they work or not. I believe it will work with some exceptions.

Yes there are differences in Android TV version of Play Store and normal Android mobile phone Play Store. But I believe that you should still be able to side load many apps with some exceptions.

Starhub Go Streaming box runs an OEM version of Android TV OS with some constraints like no Netflix support. Google certified Android TV boxes like Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV will support Netflix. Other than that, I believe it should be pretty much similar ( including Chromecast function) with the caveats that its compatibility may be worse than Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV.

Ref:
http://www.starhub.com/personal/supp...aming-box.html

17/20 Is Netflix, Toggle, Amazon Prime available via the StarHub Go Streaming Box?
Netflix is currently not supported, and we are working towards availing it.

Amazon Prime and Toggle are currently not available on the StarHub Go Streaming Box. These are dependent on their respective owners and developers to make availability on supported devices.
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:09 PM   #980

ask the seller, you paid premium price so you should get premium service from him.
I’ve been fooled time and time again but this is the worst. The seller simply ignore my pleas thinking I’m a docile person that I’m not going to report him to SINGTEL or other relevant authorities
Hazette1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:18 PM   #981

I’ve been fooled time and time again but this is the worst. The seller simply ignore my pleas thinking I’m a docile person that I’m not going to report him to SINGTEL or other relevant authorities
I am not sure what Singtel would do if any thing. It is such a large company I don't know who or what department would handle these things. Getting Singtel attention is a challenge by itself. Getting someone there to listen to your story is a challenge.
File a claim with the small claims court seems like the best way if you have a receipt. Pay $10 filing fee and do it online. The merit of your case depends on whether you bought it before or after 26-11-2018. Before this date it was legal to sell this. After this date all the court says is the ISP would block the apps. How you argue that you are entitle to a refund and what the court decide remains to be seen.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:16 PM   #982

I am not sure what Singtel would do if any thing. It is such a large company I don't know who or what department would handle these things. Getting Singtel attention is a challenge by itself. Getting someone there to listen to your story is a challenge.
File a claim with the small claims court seems like the best way if you have a receipt. Pay $10 filing fee and do it online. The merit of your case depends on whether you bought it before or after 26-11-2018. Before this date it was legal to sell this. After this date all the court says is the ISP would block the apps. How you argue that you are entitle to a refund and what the court decide remains to be seen.
Thanks for the trouble of explaining the steps. Seller did not issue me a receipt is one way to strengthen they're a fraud. I only have NETS payment receipt. While the selling is legal, they're selling a faulty product. You pay for Coke and got black coffee. One way of making corporate honchos stand to attention is when that feedback came from a staff with an office bearing a foreign coat of arms. Singtel will most probably direct me to their in house counsel or the CAD as there appears to be IP rights issues. Small Claims sounds good but maybe that'll blow my cover where I'll be identified sight and sound. I don't need the refund. I intend to slap the seller with a message that his heydays are numbered
Old 06-01-2019, 10:47 PM   #983
Master Member

Thanks for the trouble of explaining the steps. Seller did not issue me a receipt is one way to strengthen they're a fraud. I only have NETS payment receipt. While the selling is legal, they're selling a faulty product. You pay for Coke and got black coffee. One way of making corporate honchos stand to attention is when that feedback came from a staff with an office bearing a foreign coat of arms. Singtel will most probably direct me to their in house counsel or the CAD as there appears to be IP rights issues. Small Claims sounds good but maybe that'll blow my cover where I'll be identified sight and sound. I don't need the refund. I intend to slap the seller with a message that his heydays are numbered
Please let us know how it goes.
Jiraya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:01 PM   #984

Yes I can see you have very strong feelings about this matter.
Yes you see this as a crime committed by the seller on you.
If the CAD or Singtel do not take action and Small Claims is not good enough for you then I presume you would need to hire a lawyer to file a civil suit in the court.
I think an honest lawyer would tell you that claiming for punitive damages is a very high bar and a very expensive exercise.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:11 AM   #985

Yes I can see you have very strong feelings about this matter.
Yes you see this as a crime committed by the seller on you.
If the CAD or Singtel do not take action and Small Claims is not good enough for you then I presume you would need to hire a lawyer to file a civil suit in the court.
I think an honest lawyer would tell you that claiming for punitive damages is a very high bar and a very expensive exercise.
I just want to add that Singtel is not the enforcement agency for IP cases.
IP cases are very large complicated issues like Human Rights. Where Singtel themselves have issues or cases they generally act only in concert with all the other industry players. They all would file a collective claim with the court as in such case heard in court on26-11-2018.

The CAD would only handle cases regarding Terrorism and Money Laundering.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:40 PM   #986
Supremacy Member

Are you the one also bullsheeting in the Prepaid card thread?
Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:53 PM   #987
Master Member

Are you the one also bullsheeting in the Prepaid card thread?
Hmm, I think this is not justified as I did not read any posts from Henry Ng in the prepaid thread, at least recently.

I tend to believe Henry is genuinely trying to help even though he may or may not answer the questions correctly. All of us make mistakes anyway even for very experienced forum users.

Recently he did correct one of my mistakes for Starhub Go streaming box in terms of ChromeCast support since he owns one and has the first hand experiences.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:36 PM   #988
Supremacy Member

Hmm, I think this is not justified as I did not read any posts from Henry Ng in the prepaid thread, at least recently.

I tend to believe Henry is genuinely trying to help even though he may or may not answer the questions correctly. All of us make mistakes anyway even for very experienced forum users.

Recently he did correct one of my mistakes for Starhub Go streaming box in terms of ChromeCast support since he owns one and has the first hand experiences.
If he is not a troll and it is a genuine mistake, then that is fine
Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:21 AM   #989

trying to buy a tv box to watch china/taiwan/hongkong chinese tv channels. have been to sls and i see u-rock and redbean there. what would be the best tv box for this purpose?

i guess what important would be like:

- streaming server stationed locally in singapore
- wifi 5ghz
- does ram/flash size matter? 1gb vs 2gb, maybe not.
liuhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:32 AM   #990
Master Member

trying to buy a tv box to watch china/taiwan/hongkong chinese tv channels. have been to sls and i see u-rock and redbean there. what would be the best tv box for this purpose?

i guess what important would be like:

- streaming server stationed locally in singapore
- wifi 5ghz
- does ram/flash size matter? 1gb vs 2gb, maybe not.
Forget about any boxes from Sim Lim.

RAM is important 2GB is recommended.
Chipset best is Amlogic S905 series. S912 is also good. Rockchip RK3328 is also okay.

5Ghz wifi is good but you can use Ethernet as well.

Best for new users is Mi Box S global version, you have to buy from on line at about S$70-86. It has good 5GHz wifi, S905X or S905L chipset, 2GB memory, 8GB storage, Google certified Android TV OS, Netflix 4k and YouTube 4K support, Chromecast 4k function built-in. Nothing beats it in terms of value and brand name in the sub S$100 range.

For apps you have to Google, there are many. I can only recommend one which is legally approved by Chinese Government. Huawen TV for overseas Chinese. You can try it on your Android phone first.

http://www.5itv.tv/
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.