HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree551Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2019, 10:47 AM   #991

Forget about any boxes from Sim Lim.

RAM is important 2GB is recommended.
Chipset best is Amlogic S905 series. S912 is also good. Rockchip RK3328 is also okay.

5Ghz wifi is good but you can use Ethernet as well.

Best for new users is Mi Box S global version, you have to buy from on line at about S$70-86. It has good 5GHz wifi, S905X or S905L chipset, 2GB memory, 8GB storage, Google certified Android TV OS, Netflix 4k and YouTube 4K support, Chromecast 4k function built-in. Nothing beats it in terms of value and brand name in the sub S$100 range.

For apps you have to Google, there are many. I can only recommend one which is legally approved by Chinese Government. Huawen TV for overseas Chinese. You can try it on your Android phone first.

http://www.5itv.tv/
that's great info. thanks a lot. yes i will only watch legally approved channels. will look for a xiaomi.

i am wondering what apps those urock/redbeen using. do they have their own local server for chinese channels? or any special app they have.
liuhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:52 AM   #992

Chipset best is Amlogic S905 series. S912 is also good. Rockchip RK3328 is also okay.

Best for new users is Mi Box S global version, you have to buy from on line at about S$70-86. It has good 5GHz wifi, S905X or S905L chipset, 2GB memory, 8GB storage, Google certified Android TV OS, Netflix 4k and YouTube 4K support, Chromecast 4k function built-in. Nothing beats it in terms of value and brand name in the sub S$100 range.

For apps you have to Google, there are many. I can only recommend one which is legally approved by Chinese Government. Huawen TV for overseas Chinese. You can try it on your Android phone first.

As I understand it some new TV sets come with build in Android Box already.
Now what is approved by the Chinese Government has no validity in Singapore.
As I understand it all ISP providing internet and TV broadcast service has to be licenced by the Singapore Government.
So that makes all TV services illegal if they ate not from StarHub and the others.
The recent court ruling requires the licensed ISP to block TV transmission to android boxes. So using VPN or other means is an illegal act under Singapore law.
Singapore is not China and the laws are strictly enforced here.

Last edited by JohnTKS; 08-01-2019 at 11:14 AM..
JohnTKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:05 AM   #993

As I understand some new TV sets come with build in Android
miaomi box is about $100. my current TV is not android TV, although still smart tv. change to a new android tv i think will cost much more than the mi box. mi box more flexible for sure.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:14 PM   #994
Master Member

As I understand it some new TV sets come with build in Android Box already.
Now what is approved by the Chinese Government has no validity in Singapore.
As I understand it all ISP providing internet and TV broadcast service has to be licenced by the Singapore Government.
So that makes all TV services illegal if they ate not from StarHub and the others.
The recent court ruling requires the licensed ISP to block TV transmission to android boxes. So using VPN or other means is an illegal act under Singapore law.
Singapore is not China and the laws are strictly enforced here.
I am just saying Huawen TV is a legal apps in its own right. Whether it is legal here or not, I am not a lawyer. But it is not blocked here. Definitely more legitimate than the UBTV inside Ubox.

You overread the news. Definitely there are legal streaming services from other vendors other than SingTel and Starhub, like Netflix, TVB Anywhere, Viu, etc.

As for VPN, that is always a grey area and you need a real court case to prove your point.

BTW there are VPN vendors based in Singapore like Ivacy.

Last edited by xiaofan; 08-01-2019 at 12:17 PM..
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:02 PM   #995

I am just saying Huawen TV is a legal apps in its own right. Whether it is legal here or not, I am not a lawyer. But it is not blocked here. Definitely more legitimate than the UBTV inside Ubox.

You overread the news. Definitely there are legal streaming services from other vendors other than SingTel and Starhub, like Netflix, TVB Anywhere, Viu, etc.

As for VPN, that is always a grey area and you need a real court case to prove your point.

BTW there are VPN vendors based in Singapore like Ivacy.
If it is not block here does not mean it is legal.
My point is all TV services must be through the Singapore licensed ISP like StarHub and the others.
Perhaps VPN is like the p2p torrent downloads a couple of years back before thw worldwide efforts kill it.

Last edited by JohnTKS; 08-01-2019 at 01:04 PM..
Old 08-01-2019, 01:12 PM   #996
Master Member

My point is all TV services must be through the Singapore licensed ISP like StarHub and the others.
Perhaps VPN is like the p2p torrent downloads a couple of years back before thw worldwide efforts kill it.
No such thing. Unless the rights owner say so.

VPN is legal, even government is using it.

Bit torrent is also not illegal if it is used to distribute information from the right owners.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:24 PM   #997

Is UBox ok?
I want to watch live tv channels.
not so much on movies.
jinkyongann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:43 PM   #998
Master Member

Is UBox ok?
I want to watch live tv channels.
not so much on movies.
The main value of Unblocktech Ubox is their live TV program UBTV. ISPs have blocked UBTV based on Singapore High Court order.

Existing Ubox users are using simple DNS changer tricks to bypass the ISP block.

Will you buy Ubox now? I will not based on the court order.

Still it is up to you to decide based on the above fact.
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:15 PM   #999

SIngapore has a close one eye approach when dealing with copyright infiringment. Usually only when the intellectual property holder file a complain would the courts begrudgingly proceed with the case. Also they throw out flimsy evidence like IP address so basically there is no way to know the individual that pirate.
So mediacorp, netflix , youtube etc are all illegal?
SInce when was there a worldwide effort to block bittorrent or VPNs? Maybe you are too young to remember a day where bittorrent wasnt pirmarly used for piracy but VPNs?
squarepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:22 PM   #1000

SIngapore has a close one eye approach when dealing with copyright infiringment. Usually only when the intellectual property holder file a complain would the courts begrudgingly proceed with the case. Also they throw out flimsy evidence like IP address so basically there is no way to know the individual that pirate.
So mediacorp, netflix , youtube etc are all illegal?SInce when was there a worldwide effort to block bittorrent or VPNs? Maybe you are too young to remember a day where bittorrent wasnt pirmarly used for piracy but VPNs?
After what has been said here and having done a google search on this I need to update my posting.

Since StarHup and others have their own apps and android box they would 'throttle' their service to their free market competitors. That means they could slow down the speed to these users.

Netflix, YouTube and others are legal in SG.

I have been using bit torrent download like crazy up to one year ago. But now it has just die after the court cases in Canada and USA. Luckily I saved about 500 of my best, favourite movies on an external hard drive.

I think with the latest court ruling the free market android box would die and only StarHub Go and others will survive and prosper.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:46 PM   #1001

No such thing. Unless the rights owner say so.

VPN is legal, even government is using it.

Bit torrent is also not illegal if it is used to distribute information from the right owners.
VPN is legal.
Bit torrent whatever is left of it, is so infested with viruses that it is no longer usable.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:28 AM   #1002
Master Member

VPN is legal.
Bit torrent whatever is left of it, is so infested with viruses that it is no longer usable.
bit torrent is just a tool, just like a knife, you can use it to cook dinner, you can also use it to rob a bank.

bit torrent is not a computer program or handphone app, so it is not possible to be infested with viruses.

you are ill-informed.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:26 PM   #1003

i got a Mi Box S yesterday evening with above huawen TV installed. works great. i think picture quality better than those i saw in SLS. thanks for the info.
zephyr11 and jinkyongann like this.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:32 PM   #1004

Thanks for the info. I will look into where to get.

The main value of Unblocktech Ubox is their live TV program UBTV. ISPs have blocked UBTV based on Singapore High Court order.

Existing Ubox users are using simple DNS changer tricks to bypass the ISP block.

Will you buy Ubox now? I will not based on the court order.

Still it is up to you to decide based on the above fact.
jinkyongann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:55 PM   #1005

Mi Box S is surprisingly good... I bought it at around $80 from Qoo10 for my dad and the thing is simply amazing for its price... Highly recommend to everyone esp if you are using a TV that cannot connect to internet
zephyr11 likes this.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.