HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree552Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #1261

Hi, anyone has used this box before? Selling for $250. Any reviews?

Context: My current StarHub contract will end in June and I’ve decided not to renew with them. So I’ve been following a couple of threads hoping to gather some knowledge from you experts who have been using Android boxes for years. I have narrowed down my choices to either one of two options-

1) I get such boxes from Sim Lim et tal which comes preloaded with their “lifetime subscription” apps;

2) I get a Mi Box S from Lazada/Shopee and play around with it and install my own apps and if suitable, upgrade to a Shield come end of the year during Black Monday sale or something.

My requirements are simple-
1) EPL/Champions league & HBO/Fox Movies (basic English movie channels) for myself;

2) Korean drama channels for the wife;

3) Kids/educational channels for the young one.

Last edited by Elon Jobs; 02-03-2019 at 02:14 PM..
Elon Jobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:54 PM   #1262
Master Member

gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:26 PM   #1263
Master Member

[img]
Still want to buy thus type of preloaded boxes selling in shopping centres, Sim Lim Square, etc?

A few common characteristics:

1) Preloaded with many channels to attract people

2) High price, usually above S$150 and can be up to S$300

3) Hardware specifications are usually not high, usually worth about S$25-50 if compared to similar spec barebone boxes, the best from what I have seen is Geekbox with S912 CPU and 3GB RAM, probably worth S$70.

The problem is often the poor support and often they charge something like S$50 to reinstall the apps. And there is new laws being processed to ban them in the future.

If you really would like to buy preloaded boxes before the law passes to ban them, probably look at Ubox and EVpad, they are not recommended, but at least you can expect some types of support.

I know it is business as usual for the box sellers, at least the three kiosk sellers in Jurong Point are still alive and today there is one more selling Micox box in the atrium sale. So I guess no point telling people not to buy this type of boxes already.

这么多人愿意被砍菜头...

Last edited by xiaofan; 02-03-2019 at 02:28 PM..
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:38 PM   #1264

Thanks all for your advice! Appreciate it.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:30 PM   #1265
Arch-Supremacy Member

Anyone know how to remote connect Android TV Box?
duhduhduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:31 PM   #1266
Master Member

Anyone know how to remote connect Android TV Box?
Never tried this but you can try TeamViewer Quick Support.
https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/mobile-apps/

Or some other ways here.
https://www.androidauthority.com/con...rom-pc-854442/
Old 03-03-2019, 08:55 PM   #1267
Master Member

Anyone tried using adrama and having a bluish tint overlay the video when playing? Trying hard to get rid of it but can't.
Humjipeng01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:26 AM   #1268

Does Starhub have a plan that you can sign up without buying their box?
Yes you can. You can download Starhub Go Apps and subscribe to the channels or VOD. It is not quite the same as a Set-top box or their Android TV Box dedicated for TV. To view Starhub Go on a TV requires a few workarounds. Much was discussed about this in the earlier thread. Hope this helps.
Vin001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:52 AM   #1269
Master Member

Yes you can. You can download Starhub Go Apps and subscribe to the channels or VOD. It is not quite the same as a Set-top box or their Android TV Box dedicated for TV. To view Starhub Go on a TV requires a few workarounds. Much was discussed about this in the earlier thread. Hope this helps.
http://www.starhub.com/personal/supp...-go/about.html

It is stated that rooted Android device is not supported. Probably an un-rooted Android TV box should work.

Normally the preferred way is to use the app on the phone and then cast to TV using Chromecast. But I understand that you still have issues with Chromecast when using Starhub Go.

From the demo in Starhub shop, Go Streaming box is not bad. I think it is a good choice if people want to subscribe to Starhub Go. The no contract S$199 box includes 6 months of Go Family and Go Select. Since it runs operator version of Android TV OS, you can still install other apps as well.
http://www.starhub.com/personal/for-...aming-box.html
Old 04-03-2019, 11:09 AM   #1270

Short of nvidia and MI box, are there any other recommended boxes?

For mi box, there are quite a few variants - which is the most value of money one?

(thinking of buying one to bring for my relative living overseas)

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI 4X using GAGT
kaya14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:59 PM   #1271
Master Member

Short of nvidia and MI box, are there any other recommended boxes?

For mi box, there are quite a few variants - which is the most value of money one?

(thinking of buying one to bring for my relative living overseas)

What is the main intended usage of the box? If you value Netflix or Chromecast function of official Android TV OS device like Mi Box S, Mi Box Global version and Nvidia Shield should be your choice.

Mi Box: only two variants are running official Android TV OS, the others are only meant for Chinese market. So it is either Mi Box S or the old Mi Box Global Version. Better buy Mi Box S now. Cost around S$70.

And since you are buying for overseas you better understand which are the popular apps there as well and whether the box supports the apps there.

Last edited by xiaofan; 04-03-2019 at 01:17 PM..
Old 04-03-2019, 01:04 PM   #1272

What is the main intended usage of the box? If you value Netflix or Chromecast function of official Android TV OS device then Mi Box S, Mi Box Global version and Nvidia Shield should be your choice.

Mi Box: only two variants are running official Android TV OS, the others are only meant for Chinese market. So it is either Mi Box S or the old Mi Box Global Version. Better buy Mi Box S now. Cost around S$70.

And since you are buying for overseas you better which are the popular apps there as well and whether the box supports the apps there.
The current apps on my phone (YouTube, Netflix, Spotify and some sideloaded apps) work fine there, so I'm assuming it should work ok on the android TV box as well?

Where did you get a $70 Mi box S? All the prices I've found online are about 85 to 90 heh

Old 04-03-2019, 01:05 PM   #1273

What is the main intended usage of the box? If you value Netflix or Chromecast function of official Android TV OS device then Mi Box S, Mi Box Global version and Nvidia Shield should be your choice.

And since you are buying for overseas you better which are the popular apps there as well and whether the box supports the apps there.
Sorry, main intended usage is to watch shows, mainly via YouTube or streaming sites/apps

Old 04-03-2019, 01:27 PM   #1274
Master Member

The current apps on my phone (YouTube, Netflix, Spotify and some sideloaded apps) work fine there, so I'm assuming it should work ok on the android TV box as well?

Where did you get a $70 Mi box S? All the prices I've found online are about 85 to 90 heh

I am not using local online market place myself but there are shops selling at S$75 in Qoo10 and there is a S$5 coupon and maybe other coupons to use. Sometimes there is an offer on Lazada as well.

Ref: https://m.qoo10.sg/gmkt.inc/Mobile/G...code=638328418

Edit to add:
YouTube, Netflix and Spotify will be okay. Some apps are compatible with phone version of Android but not Android TV OS, like Starhub Go, TVB Anywhere SG, etc. Then you need to check whether they are compatible with Chromecast, for example Starhub Go is compatible but not TVB Anywhere SG.

In any case, if Netflix is a major consideration for you then there are very few choices already -- Mi Box S and Amazon Fire Stick 4K are the two best cost effective solution for Netflix.

Last edited by xiaofan; 04-03-2019 at 05:10 PM..
Old 05-03-2019, 02:16 AM   #1275

Need help from someone to advise whether Singtel CAST works on MiBox.

Iím a fully iPhone household, zero Android devices.
Considering MiBoxS because it is cheap. I will use it primarily to run Singtel CAST so that my kids can watch their live channel Nick JR which is only $5 per mth with CAST and we wonít have Netflix. My issue is that Iím aware that TVB and Starhub Go do not work on MiBox. Anyone can share whether Singtel CAST works on MiBox?

Singtel CAST works on my mumís Sony Android TV. I got a 70 inch dumb TV at home which we wonít be changing soon. Cancelling SH cable liao, since June no more cable. The 70 inch TV runs our documentaries from cable beautifully but if u got 3 kids and only one TV at home, guess what the TV ends up for? Warning to all TV buyers here.

Please donít tell me I can run Singtel CAST on an iPhone and cast onto TV, because thatís not my aim. If it donít work on Mibox, I will have no choice get Apple TV to run Singtel CAST. Iíve only read in HWZ threads that Nvidia Shield can run Singtel CAST but that defeats the purpose because the shield is more expensive than Apple TV. Suggestions for any other Android Box other than MiBox works too. My single app required is Singtel CAST. Thanks in advance guys.

Edit to add: Singtel TV GO and Singtel CAST are different apps. I need Singtel CAST to work for me.

Last edited by gevicra; 05-03-2019 at 02:42 AM..
gevicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.