HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree551Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2019, 08:16 AM   #1276
Master Member

Need help from someone to advise whether Singtel CAST works on MiBox.

I’m a fully iPhone household, zero Android devices.
Considering MiBoxS because it is cheap. I will use it primarily to run Singtel CAST so that my kids can watch their live channel Nick JR which is only $5 per mth with CAST and we won’t have Netflix. My issue is that I’m aware that TVB and Starhub Go do not work on MiBox. Anyone can share whether Singtel CAST works on MiBox?

Singtel CAST works on my mum’s Sony Android TV. I got a 70 inch dumb TV at home which we won’t be changing soon. Cancelling SH cable liao, since June no more cable. The 70 inch TV runs our documentaries from cable beautifully but if u got 3 kids and only one TV at home, guess what the TV ends up for? Warning to all TV buyers here.

Please don’t tell me I can run Singtel CAST on an iPhone and cast onto TV, because that’s not my aim. If it don’t work on Mibox, I will have no choice get Apple TV to run Singtel CAST. I’ve only read in HWZ threads that Nvidia Shield can run Singtel CAST but that defeats the purpose because the shield is more expensive than Apple TV. Suggestions for any other Android Box other than MiBox works too. My single app required is Singtel CAST. Thanks in advance guys.

Edit to add: Singtel TV GO and Singtel CAST are different apps. I need Singtel CAST to work for me.
If it works under NVidia Shield TV and your Sony Android TV, then it should work on Mi Box S.

Still it is better to confirm with Mi Box S users here. Take note that Nvidia Shield TV and Mi Box S are not listed in Singtel Cast’s compatible devices list whereas Sony / Sharp Android TVs are listed.

https://www.singtel.com/content/dam/...es%20FINAL.pdf

On the other hand, since your household is a pure iPhone family, I tend to think Apple TV 4K is a better choice.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 05-03-2019 at 08:25 AM..
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:56 AM   #1277
Master Member

If it works under NVidia Shield TV and your Sony Android TV, then it should work on Mi Box S.

Still it is better to confirm with Mi Box S users here.
On the other hand, since your household is a pure iPhone family, I tend to think Apple TV 4K is a better choice.
BTW, there is nothing wrong with a dumb TV especially you seem to have a good one. Coupled with an Android TV box or an Apple TV, it is actually smarter than most Smart TV.

I believe SingTel Cast should work with Mi Box S even though it is not in that list, for example, latest iPhones are not in the list either. Still it is better to confirm with Mi Box S owners here.

I do know SingTel Cast is not compatible with rooted Android TV boxes like my 4 generic boxes.

Why I say Apple TV is a better choice is because of better integration with Apple Eco System and potential better AV experiences. For example it supports Dolby Atmos under Netflix whereas Netflix under Nvidia Shield TV does not support Dolby Atmos. Take note Nvidia Shield TV is capable of Dolby Atmos but Netflix does not support the feature. So you can say for the same app you may often have better experiences on Apple eco system than on Android.

Ref: Apple TV 4k support 4K HDR, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.
https://support.apple.com/en-sg/HT207949

BTW, Mi Box S does 4K HDR, Dolby Audio and DTS.
https://www.mi.com/us/mi-box-s/
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 05-03-2019 at 09:28 AM..
Old 05-03-2019, 11:00 AM   #1278
Master Member

https://www.finder.com/sg/internet-tv

Nice article about various streaming service available in Singapore.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:30 PM   #1279

BTW, there is nothing wrong with a dumb TV especially you seem to have a good one. Coupled with an Android TV box or an Apple TV, it is actually smarter than most Smart TV.

I believe SingTel Cast should work with Mi Box S even though it is not in that list, for example, latest iPhones are not in the list either. Still it is better to confirm with Mi Box S owners here.

I do know SingTel Cast is not compatible with rooted Android TV boxes like my 4 generic boxes.

Why I say Apple TV is a better choice is because of better integration with Apple Eco System and potential better AV experiences. For example it supports Dolby Atmos under Netflix whereas Netflix under Nvidia Shield TV does not support Dolby Atmos. Take note Nvidia Shield TV is capable of Dolby Atmos but Netflix does not support the feature. So you can say for the same app you may often have better experiences on Apple eco system than on Android.

Ref: Apple TV 4k support 4K HDR, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.
https://support.apple.com/en-sg/HT207949

BTW, Mi Box S does 4K HDR, Dolby Audio and DTS.
https://www.mi.com/us/mi-box-s/
Thanks for the advice! Now wait for Mibox user to advise. Mibox is easily more than $100 cheaper than Apple TV. And...we really foresee the kids using most of it. IT show I will check online prices see what discounts will run on Lazada/Qoo10/Shopee and will get device this week.
gevicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:48 PM   #1280

Hi

Check if subscribe to SingTel cast Hooq, can stream directly from android tv instead of cast from hp?
bumperbee likes this.
Cancer_Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:04 PM   #1281
Master Member

Hi

Check if subscribe to SingTel cast Hooq, can stream directly from android tv instead of cast from hp?
https://hooq.desk.com/customer/en/po...-hooq-account-

https://hooq.desk.com/customer/porta...-app-smart-tv-

According to the above URL, it should work with Android TV device like Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV or Sony/Sharp Android TV.

To confirm, you may want to double check with SingTel or Hooq on your specific device.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 05-03-2019 at 08:08 PM..
Old 05-03-2019, 08:56 PM   #1282
Master Member

Thanks for the advice! Now wait for Mibox user to advise. Mibox is easily more than $100 cheaper than Apple TV. And...we really foresee the kids using most of it. IT show I will check online prices see what discounts will run on Lazada/Qoo10/Shopee and will get device this week.
if you are carot, then go IT show to get chopped.
bumperbee likes this.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:21 PM   #1283

Hi, I am looking for something basic (16gb storage, 2gb ram), and pure android tv os. it's my first time but i'm pretty sure i can just figure it out along the way. Please recommend, thank you!!
bumperbee likes this.
alexander175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:40 PM   #1284
Master Member

Hi, I am looking for something basic (16gb storage, 2gb ram), and pure android tv os. it's my first time but i'm pretty sure i can just figure it out along the way. Please recommend, thank you!!
mibox s $70
bumperbee likes this.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:53 AM   #1285

I have not got my second set-top box for my new Sony Android TV (as 2nd TV) yet, but I have been playing with the Chromecast (or aka Google cast) on the TV for the last one week and would like to share the following observations.

I would cast it from my Starhub Go app while watching mainly the SH sports channel.

The problem of the cast screen appearing as a small window on TV is still there but I am able to get around the problem by allowing the Apps to play that channel for a while (say about a minute) before I cast it to the TV.

Fast moving ball (e.g. Tennis ball) appears as a slightly fuzzy ghosting image on the screen. When watching that same channel on my other 9 year old dumb TV of the same size via a SH set-top, there is no ghosting effect. It cannot be due to the new Sony TV as it has a decent screen refresh rate hence I attribute it to the Chromecast instead. No issue when watching non sports channels using Chromecast. In fact I could even cast 4K content to my TV without issue so long it does not have fast moving images.
Just an update to all Starhub TV subscribers who are in the same situation as me, i.e. setting up a second TV in the house to view SH channels. I was instructed by SH to go visit the SH shop at Vivo, upon getting there I was told they do not issue Fibre TV set top boxes from the shops . I need to call them to arrange to have one installed. It will cost $50 for transportation, installation only during a weekday and I also need to buy a DLink ethernet switch from SH at $37.

The total damage is $87 and having to consume my annual leave.

I will need to re-think this option.

My other options are streaming to handphone then google casting to TV (doing this now) or to get a low cost Generic Android TV box that can run the SH TV Go app.

(Side note: I tried installing the SH TV go APK again last night on my Sony Android TV but this time using the newer version 3.2.33...no use. It still refused to run from the TV)
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by Vin001; 06-03-2019 at 09:06 AM..
Vin001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:26 PM   #1286
Master Member

(Side note: I tried installing the SH TV go APK again last night on my Sony Android TV but this time using the newer version 3.2.33...no use. It still refused to run from the TV)
No need to try already, it is confirmed that Starhub Go app is not working under official Android TV OS device like Nvidia Shield TV, Mi Box S and Sony/Sharp Android TV.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:01 AM   #1287

mibox s $70
thanks, will check lazada/qoo10
alexander175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:48 AM   #1288

No need to try already, it is confirmed that Starhub Go app is not working under official Android TV OS device like Nvidia Shield TV, Mi Box S and Sony/Sharp Android TV.
LOL! I am still hopping someone who had successfully ran the SH APK on a generic Android TV box to come in and share with all what is the brand/model of the box.
Vin001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:09 AM   #1289
Master Member

mibox s $70
from which seller?
bumperbee likes this.
gnixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #1290
Master Member

from which seller?
get from sellers in qoo10, lazada or shopee.

the price is from $65 to $85, depends on special discount, coupons..etc

check for offers if you want lower price, at the moment the price is a bit high.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.