HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2018, 04:30 AM   #451
Master Member

any recommendations for non tvos box that runs viu and has google play store? have the old mibox which was a pita to always sideload when viu updates and the old app doesnt work unless its the latest version.

i also have the mibox international but its tvos with no viu in the appstore nor can it e sideloaded...
viix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:34 AM   #452

any recommendations for non tvos box that runs viu and has google play store? have the old mibox which was a pita to always sideload when viu updates and the old app doesnt work unless its the latest version.

i also have the mibox international but its tvos with no viu in the appstore nor can it e sideloaded...
Can't viu be watch by Chromecast?

Last edited by dryteletubby; 08-10-2018 at 08:37 AM..
dryteletubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #453

There are android TV boxes with digital tuners built in. However you are better off getting a standalone digital set top box as those all in one units kinda suck
any recommendations for any digital set top box then?
teruanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:07 AM   #454
Master Member

Can't viu be watch by Chromecast?
Looking to use the app directly on a box. Using Chromecast to cast from android tablet now but sometimes problematic for not so savvy users when there is Chromecast cannot connect or there is a lag..

If I use the app, can seamlessly stop on mobile and then continue on the tv without extra steps to cast or search for the title..
viix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:56 PM   #455
Arch-Supremacy Member

is the android tv box the same as a digital set top box? need to get a digital set top box for my tv as still using analogue tv now.

any recommendations for set top bix if they are not the same?
There are android TV boxes with digital tuners built in. However you are better off getting a standalone digital set top box as those all in one units kinda suck
Recommended to get a separate box. Get the neww media box because the remote control can learn some of the functions of the TV, that'll cut down on the number of remotes sitting around.

I personally using the Draco box with the Funke 250 antenna (value for money).
windwaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:32 PM   #456

Recommended to get a separate box. Get the neww media box because the remote control can learn some of the functions of the TV, that'll cut down on the number of remotes sitting around.

I personally using the Draco box with the Funke 250 antenna (value for money).
hi windwaver, tks for the recommendations. can i still be able to use the wall antenna instead of the funke 250 antenna?
teruanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:25 PM   #457
Master Member

Buy a Xiaomi phone it has infra red and Mi Remote and other remote apps in the play store. Don't need any remote.

Sent from Dont Take Any Of My Statment As Investment Advice. Do Your Own Due Diligence. using GAGT
revhappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:33 AM   #458

Buy a Xiaomi phone it has infra red and Mi Remote and other remote apps in the play store. Don't need any remote.

Sent from Dont Take Any Of My Statment As Investment Advice. Do Your Own Due Diligence. using GAGT
Phone ir remote is a pita to use. However it is good for pranking friends
squarepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:56 PM   #459
Arch-Supremacy Member

hi windwaver, tks for the recommendations. can i still be able to use the wall antenna instead of the funke 250 antenna?
You mean the outlet from wall? No, we're going back to good old days of external antenna but this time for digital signal.
windwaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:55 PM   #460

got new xiaomi androidTV box

https://www.cnx-software.com/2018/10...v-set-top-box/
Medicated Oil likes this.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:57 PM   #461

Yeah Xiaomi Box international edition seems to be one of the best choices if people want to use Netflix or high definition YouTube out of the box. Cheaper Android box may have more powerful hardware like processor (eg S912 vs S905X) but lack the necessary licence Xiaomi has.

As for those local Android boxes with questionable apps, it seems they still have values since people here compare the cost with Starhub/SingTel packages. It will not be easy for many to understand how to install all those apps or configure Kodi.

I just bought a few boxes to play with Armbian Linux, not a typical use case but they are cheaper compared to many maker boards. I do not care too much about GPIO either since I have two Raspberry Pi 3B+ there for that purpose.
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:07 AM   #462

Is the mi box netflix content from usa or local?
caniggia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:23 AM   #463

Is the mi box netflix content from usa or local?

Should be dependent on your nexflix account not the box
Old 11-10-2018, 08:40 AM   #464
Arch-Supremacy Member

It is a bit wasted as the new box offered not much difference from the old box.
Medicated Oil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:52 PM   #465

Can this box do dvbt2?

Sent from GAGT using GAGT
hazardhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.