Where is the Thinkpad P1, X1 Xtreme and P72???

it_geek

Master Member
Reaction score
I see the Lenovo Japan and U.S. Sites are stocking on these models already.

Some very powerful stuff.

So what is taking so long for it to come to SG ah????

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
My previous worksite uses the ThinkPad P72 workstation :zotto: - enterprise purchase perhaps. Market’s really small for these models to be open to the public

Last edited:

007Mi6

Reaction score
Small market, even I went to Low Yat Plaza in KL last weekend, I can’t find T480s

dryteletubby

Reaction score
P72 just came out fairly recently. Pre-orders for businesses started as early as June 2018, to consumers late Aug 2018. Unless you changed jobs recently also:s11:

As of now P72 still not available in the SG market.

Only P1 and X1 Xtreme

With the options I selected for P72 it would cost 1.3 million yen or $15,000 SGD. Been using the same laptop for 9 years so contemplating whether to change :s22:

At that price I would just buy a powerful desktop and use a ordinary laptop to remote access the desktop :s13:

What will u be using the laptop for?

dryteletubby

Reaction score
yea i know right? $15k for a ***** workstation

Hyper V virtualisation with server as Guest OS, inter alia other things. The high specs now are not really for this generation, but i only change my comp once every decade, unless it dies prematurely... lol... so better to future proof.

But might want to wait until 2020... my current W510 can still tank

Hmm... I wouldn't use a 10 year old pc as a daily driver. At that point the power usage for the performance you get will be very poor compared to a new machine.

That said I still use old servers/desktop as a hypervisor etc. The oldest server I have has a 2nd gen core I CPU. You still can get quite good performance form a 6+ year old server as this is when businesses retire their equipment. Under $600 you can get a 2x8 core Xeon and 32GB ram. Power draw will still be reasonable but obviously not as good as a new similarly performing machine.

You can find even older ddr2 system for much cheaper but it's way to power hungry for my taste.

Also I may try hyper-v again with windows server 2019. The last time I tried it on my 8GB ram server I can barely get 2 VMs running :s13:

Last edited:

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
P72 just came out fairly recently. Pre-orders for businesses started as early as June 2018, to consumers late Aug 2018. Unless you changed jobs recently also:s11:

As of now P72 still not available in the SG market.

Only P1 and X1 Xtreme

With the options I selected for P72 it would cost 1.3 million yen or $15,000 SGD. Been using the same laptop for 9 years so contemplating whether to change :s22:
I stand corrected, it is not be the P72.
It's the P71

But yeah, I recently changed jobs :s13:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
My W510 will probably remain my primary driver for now. It's fast enough for me with 16 GB of RAM and 2TB SSHD. As long as it runs Windows 10, I am unlikely to change.

But 2020 when Intel stops BIOS completely we will see where Windows 10 goes.

I don't foresee windows system requirements increasing anytime soon. Microsoft in fact seems to want it to run on lower powered ARM cpus. You can probably use that laptop until its broken beyond repair

squarepipe

Reaction score
yea i know right? $15k for a ***** workstation

Hyper V virtualisation with server as Guest OS, inter alia other things. The high specs now are not really for this generation, but i only change my comp once every decade, unless it dies prematurely... lol... so better to future proof.

But might want to wait until 2020... my current W510 can still tank

I don't think you can future proof a pc like that man. Not like buying an expensive shoe and you can use for life. Laptops especially newer ones come with planned obsolescence like unremovable battery, soldered down ram & storage etc.

Unless you only use the pc for the same task the day you bought it. I have a ancient core2duo pc as a pfsense router. It works as well then as it would in the future

squarepipe

Reaction score
Lenovo isn't sealing their business laptops anytime yet, so they will remain upgradable through their lifetime. I would never spend more than 1.5k on a consumer laptop because they really are not upgradable for a 10 year outlook.

Worse come to worst, I can always get a one generation behind laptop like the P71 and just mod it up from there.

Lenovo's ultra business models have always given them that flexibility. Until they stop doing that I am just going to keep supporting them :D

Yeah same here I still using my x230 thinkpad for the same reason. But laptops at most can upgrade storage and add more RAM only. CPU and GPU cant change not like desktop or servers. Unless the p72 got something special I don't think I will even consider a laptop futureproof

squarepipe

Reaction score
CPU can still change. Just damn messy.

For the older P series model YES the graphics chip can change... but very high risk of fracture. Not worth the risk. cos if you don't detach it from the socket correctly both your motherboard and gpu will bite the dust.

but still not as upgradable as a desktop. I gave up on having a powerful laptop. I just use an celeron laptop and use remote desktop to remote back to my more powerfull PC at home instead

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Some laptops uses socketed CPUs and MXM GPUs. A example in point would be the Elitebook 2570P which has a socketed GPU.

However there are certain restrictions to what type of CPUs and GPUs are supported by a particular laptop further complicated by the fact that there are mobile sockets and conventional cpu sockets. (Too deep topic before coffee)

Yeah same here I still using my x230 thinkpad for the same reason. But laptops at most can upgrade storage and add more RAM only. CPU and GPU cant change not like desktop or servers. Unless the p72 got something special I don't think I will even consider a laptop futureproof

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Some laptops uses socketed CPUs and MXM GPUs. A example in point would be the Elitebook 2570P which has a socketed GPU.

However there are certain restrictions to what type of CPUs and GPUs are supported by a particular laptop further complicated by the fact that there are mobile sockets and conventional cpu sockets. (Too deep topic before coffee)

Those mxm GPU laptops are few and far between. I also remembered some laptops that have use standard desktop socket cpus. Unless those become the norm, laptops will remain mostly un upgradeable

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Those mxm GPU laptops are few and far between. I also remembered some laptops that have use standard desktop socket cpus. Unless those become the norm, laptops will remain mostly un upgradeable

Yeah, few and far between. :s13: - Hence it's often just good /safer to say it's all soldered on board.

Not many OEM(s) are forthcoming with their designs. So unless there's a dismantle / ifixit guide, then we wouldn't know about these hidden Easter eggs.

One exception would be Aftershock's techs .. they are really knowledgeable of the inner components in their systems and willing to share more on this.
Some specifications sheets for high end models of lower SKUs uses the same motherboard of higher SKUs but doesn't tell you on the existence of spare m.2 / mSata slots for upgradeability :s13:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Yeah, few and far between. :s13: - Hence it's often just good /safer to say it's all soldered on board.

Not many OEM(s) are forthcoming with their designs. So unless there's a dismantle / ifixit guide, then we wouldn't know about these hidden Easter eggs.

One exception would be Aftershock's techs .. they are really knowledgeable of the inner components in their systems and willing to share more on this.
Some specifications sheets for high end models of lower SKUs uses the same motherboard of higher SKUs but doesn't tell you on the existence of spare m.2 / mSata slots for upgradeability :s13:

Hmm I drop an email to aftershock asking about Linux compatibilitiy and I am still waiting for the reply after a week :s13:

Doesn't aftershock use sager or some other ODM design? If so it's not that hard to regurgitate back the listed specs.

At this point I would be contented with a laptop that can have user removable ram, and storage.i have given up on Battery & WiFi card being user replaceable.

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm :s13: my work place doesnt use it for its designed purpose. Though in the first few months of ownership, one unit died shortly.

Between P71 and Zbooks, I do have a preference Zbooks - robust workstations that can operate 24/7. Can literally kill someone if thrown at :s13:

The P71 is ***** hot. In non-ac use the CPU average is 85 deg (esp if they use the top tier Xeon processors). Not comfortable to use. In A/C environments they hit 80 on average.

My W510 will probably remain my primary driver for now. It's fast enough for me with 16 GB of RAM and 2TB SSHD. As long as it runs Windows 10, I am unlikely to change.

But 2020 when Intel stops BIOS completely we will see where Windows 10 goes.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.