HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Where is the Thinkpad P1, X1 Xtreme and P72???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-09-2018, 05:57 PM   #1

Question Where is the Thinkpad P1, X1 Xtreme and P72???

I see the Lenovo Japan and U.S. Sites are stocking on these models already.

Some very powerful stuff.

So what is taking so long for it to come to SG ah????
Old 03-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #2

My previous worksite uses the ThinkPad P72 workstation - enterprise purchase perhaps. Market’s really small for these models to be open to the public

Unsure of what to get? Need help with Notebook issues? Join in the discussions at Notebook Clinic!

Keep up with the latest in mobile technology with Residential Phone Gurus over at Mobile Communication Technology!

Need Assistance? Fret not! Feel free to contact me via PM for Forum Related Issues or any Other Issues that may require immediate assistance and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Last edited by Intrinion; 03-10-2018 at 10:13 PM..
Intrinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:07 PM   #3

Small market, even I went to Low Yat Plaza in KL last weekend, I canít find T480s
007Mi6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:42 PM   #4

My previous worksite uses the ThinkPad P72 workstation - enterprise purchase perhaps. Marketís really small for these models to be open to the public

P72 just came out fairly recently. Pre-orders for businesses started as early as June 2018, to consumers late Aug 2018. Unless you changed jobs recently also

As of now P72 still not available in the SG market.

Only P1 and X1 Xtreme

With the options I selected for P72 it would cost 1.3 million yen or $15,000 SGD. Been using the same laptop for 9 years so contemplating whether to change

Last edited by it_geek; 04-10-2018 at 02:44 PM..
it_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:45 PM   #5

Small market, even I went to Low Yat Plaza in KL last weekend, I canít find T480s

Order from Lenovo site.

Thinkpad T480 itself has become v popular for students.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:04 PM   #6

P72 just came out fairly recently. Pre-orders for businesses started as early as June 2018, to consumers late Aug 2018. Unless you changed jobs recently also

Only P1 and X1 Xtreme

With the options I selected for P72 it would cost 1.3 million yen or $15,000 SGD. Been using the same laptop for 9 years so contemplating whether to change
At that price I would just buy a powerful desktop and use a ordinary laptop to remote access the desktop

What will u be using the laptop for?
dryteletubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #7

At that price I would just buy a powerful desktop and use a ordinary laptop to remote access the desktop

What will u be using the laptop for?

yea i know right? $15k for a fking workstation

Hyper V virtualisation with server as Guest OS, inter alia other things. The high specs now are not really for this generation, but i only change my comp once every decade, unless it dies prematurely... lol... so better to future proof.

But might want to wait until 2020... my current W510 can still tank
Old 04-10-2018, 04:24 PM   #8

Hyper V virtualisation with server as Guest OS, inter alia other things. The high specs now are not really for this generation, but i only change my comp once every decade, unless it dies prematurely... lol... so better to future proof.

Hmm... I wouldn't use a 10 year old pc as a daily driver. At that point the power usage for the performance you get will be very poor compared to a new machine.

That said I still use old servers/desktop as a hypervisor etc. The oldest server I have has a 2nd gen core I CPU. You still can get quite good performance form a 6+ year old server as this is when businesses retire their equipment. Under $600 you can get a 2x8 core Xeon and 32GB ram. Power draw will still be reasonable but obviously not as good as a new similarly performing machine.

You can find even older ddr2 system for much cheaper but it's way to power hungry for my taste.

Also I may try hyper-v again with windows server 2019. The last time I tried it on my 8GB ram server I can barely get 2 VMs running

Last edited by dryteletubby; 04-10-2018 at 04:33 PM..
Old 04-10-2018, 06:01 PM   #9

Only P1 and X1 Xtreme

I stand corrected, it is not be the P72.
It's the P71

But yeah, I recently changed jobs

Unsure of what to get? Need help with Notebook issues? Join in the discussions at Notebook Clinic!

Keep up with the latest in mobile technology with Residential Phone Gurus over at Mobile Communication Technology!

Need Assistance? Fret not! Feel free to contact me via PM for Forum Related Issues or any Other Issues that may require immediate assistance and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Intrinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:07 PM   #10

I stand corrected, it is not be the P72.
It's the P71

But yeah, I recently changed jobs

The P71 is fking hot. In non-ac use the CPU average is 85 deg (esp if they use the top tier Xeon processors). Not comfortable to use. In A/C environments they hit 80 on average.

Hmm... I wouldn't use a 10 year old pc as a daily driver. At that point the power usage for the performance you get will be very poor compared to a new machine.

That said I still use old servers/desktop as a hypervisor etc. The oldest server I have has a 2nd gen core I CPU. You still can get quite good performance form a 6+ year old server as this is when businesses retire their equipment. Under $600 you can get a 2x8 core Xeon and 32GB ram. Power draw will still be reasonable but obviously not as good as a new similarly performing machine.

You can find even older ddr2 system for much cheaper but it's way to power hungry for my taste.

Also I may try hyper-v again with windows server 2019. The last time I tried it on my 8GB ram server I can barely get 2 VMs running

My W510 will probably remain my primary driver for now. It's fast enough for me with 16 GB of RAM and 2TB SSHD. As long as it runs Windows 10, I am unlikely to change.

But 2020 when Intel stops BIOS completely we will see where Windows 10 goes.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:21 PM   #11

My W510 will probably remain my primary driver for now. It's fast enough for me with 16 GB of RAM and 2TB SSHD. As long as it runs Windows 10, I am unlikely to change.

But 2020 when Intel stops BIOS completely we will see where Windows 10 goes.
I don't foresee windows system requirements increasing anytime soon. Microsoft in fact seems to want it to run on lower powered ARM cpus. You can probably use that laptop until its broken beyond repair
Old 04-10-2018, 08:30 PM   #12

I don't think you can future proof a pc like that man. Not like buying an expensive shoe and you can use for life. Laptops especially newer ones come with planned obsolescence like unremovable battery, soldered down ram & storage etc.

Unless you only use the pc for the same task the day you bought it. I have a ancient core2duo pc as a pfsense router. It works as well then as it would in the future
squarepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:51 PM   #13

I don't think you can future proof a pc like that man. Not like buying an expensive shoe and you can use for life. Laptops especially newer ones come with planned obsolescence like unremovable battery, soldered down ram & storage etc.

Unless you only use the pc for the same task the day you bought it. I have a ancient core2duo pc as a pfsense router. It works as well then as it would in the future

Lenovo isn't sealing their business laptops anytime yet, so they will remain upgradable through their lifetime. I would never spend more than 1.5k on a consumer laptop because they really are not upgradable for a 10 year outlook.

Worse come to worst, I can always get a one generation behind laptop like the P71 and just mod it up from there.

Lenovo's ultra business models have always given them that flexibility. Until they stop doing that I am just going to keep supporting them

Last edited by it_geek; 04-10-2018 at 08:54 PM..
it_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:00 PM   #14

Lenovo isn't sealing their business laptops anytime yet, so they will remain upgradable through their lifetime. I would never spend more than 1.5k on a consumer laptop because they really are not upgradable for a 10 year outlook.

Worse come to worst, I can always get a one generation behind laptop like the P71 and just mod it up from there.

Lenovo's ultra business models have always given them that flexibility. Until they stop doing that I am just going to keep supporting them
Yeah same here I still using my x230 thinkpad for the same reason. But laptops at most can upgrade storage and add more RAM only. CPU and GPU cant change not like desktop or servers. Unless the p72 got something special I don't think I will even consider a laptop futureproof
squarepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:16 PM   #15

Yeah same here I still using my x230 thinkpad for the same reason. But laptops at most can upgrade storage and add more RAM only. CPU and GPU cant change not like desktop or servers. Unless the p72 got something special I don't think I will even consider a laptop futureproof

CPU can still change. Just damn messy.

For the older P series model YES the graphics chip can change... but very high risk of fracture. Not worth the risk. cos if you don't detach it from the socket correctly both your motherboard and gpu will bite the dust.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.