<$600 Laptop recommendation

jcw_17

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'll be studying in a private uni for 3 years and I'm looking for a smaller and lighter laptop to view documents and watch learning videos. My current Lenovo laptop is 15 inch and its rather bulky to bring to school every day.

Any laptop to recommend within my budget range? Are Chromebooks good?

Would appreciate any input. Thanks

EDITED: New budget of 1.2k-1.3k

Looking for 7hrs battery life if possible
SSD
13-14 inch screen

Not sure if asus and dell is good. Im currently using lenovo and rather impress by it.

Thank u

Last edited:

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'll be studying in a private uni for 3 years and I'm looking for a smaller and lighter laptop to view documents and watch learning videos. My current Lenovo laptop is 15 inch and its rather bulky to bring to school every day.

Any laptop to recommend within my budget range? Are Chromebooks good?

Would appreciate any input. Thanks

A notebook using Intel Celeron processors may be suitable for you.
Look for at least 4GB RAM and 64GB solid state HDD.
You likely won't get fantastic performance.

For example, on my old model of Lenovo Ideapad 100s ( Intel Celeron N3050, 4GB, 128GB Solid State HDD ), hotspot to mobile device, you get acceptable video at 720p or lower.

These notebook seems to be in the same range as the Chromebooks but they run Windows 8/10.

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
They are really only suitable to open a few browser tabs. Just casual use.

There are plenty of such options but from what I've heard, most folks wish they bought a better machine for just a bit more.

One other option in this price range on a different form factor is the Surface Go. It is unmistakably a tablet first machine, so most who get it are really casual users. We have reviewed it higher tier version with 8GB RAM - for thread starter's consideration.

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/review-microsoft-surface-go-review-great-lightweight-work-go

We've also detailed usage expectations so it's pretty much what anyone would get from all other notebooks of $600 or less.

A notebook using Intel Celeron processors may be suitable for you.
Look for at least 4GB RAM and 64GB solid state HDD.
You likely won't get fantastic performance.

For example, on my old model of Lenovo Ideapad 100s ( Intel Celeron N3050, 4GB, 128GB Solid State HDD ), hotspot to mobile device, you get acceptable video at 720p or lower.

These notebook seems to be in the same range as the Chromebooks but they run Windows 8/10.

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
If TS can up budget a bit, you can get more trustworthy specs and a better looking notebook. Here's one that I spotted but other brands such as ASUS , HP, Dell and Lenovo have similar configurations...
btmeuMB.jpg

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
They are really only suitable to open a few browser tabs. Just casual use.

There are plenty of such options but from what I've heard, most folks wish they bought a better machine for just a bit more.

One other option in this price range on a different form factor is the Surface Go. It is unmistakably a tablet first machine, so most who get it are really casual users. We have reviewed it higher tier version with 8GB RAM - for thread starter's consideration.

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/review-microsoft-surface-go-review-great-lightweight-work-go

We've also detailed usage expectations so it's pretty much what anyone would get from all other notebooks of $600 or less.

I have 2 such machines - HP Stream 14 and Lenovo Ideapad 100s.
I've gotten them quite sometime back and at that time, you seldom will find inexpensive machines with big screen and full keyboard.

I would say they are meant for specific use. For me, I use them for not complicated stuffs like surf web, edit documents, configure/test network devices or watch Youtubes. They are great as second machine.

Honda06

Reaction score
If able to up 1k range I think a Lenovo Ideapad S530 i5 model is a good option for you. Very portable too!

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you are ok with overseas set, can consider xiaomi redmi notebooks. Decent spec at below $700.

cowboyaid

Reaction score
Don't listen to those who tell you sub $600 won't get you anything decent. Singapore prices are inflated and overpriced. Hop over to Malaysia and you'll be surprised to find decent laptops at RM1500-RM2000 range. These are your reputable Acers and Dells and Asus as well. Many due to promotions. Be smart with your shopping and if you can live with such out of the box mindset and approach to get what you want, you don't have to listen to others who told you it's not possible.

Last edited:

really

Reaction score
Don't listen to those who tell you sub $600 won't get you anything decent. Singapore prices are inflated and overpriced. Hop over to Malaysia and you'll be surprised to find decent laptops at RM1500-RM2000 range. These are your reputable Acers and Dells and Asus as well. Many due to promotions. Be smart with your shopping and if you can live with such out of the box mindset and approach to get what you want, you don't have to listen to others who told you it's not possible.

So where do we go for repairs?

Honda06

Reaction score
Anyway if really under $600 range on Windows, I did some walking around, there are a few as follows:

1. Lenovo D330
2. Lenovo S130
3. ASUS E203MA
4. ASUS TP202NA

CyberTan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe Lenovo Yoga 330 might be good for you.

I and my bro bought 1 for my Father a year ago because it ticks all the right boxes.

- $570 during conex last year
- Pentium Silver N5000 ( not Low celeron)
-12 inch
- Touch Screen
- Metal construction

Last edited:

WuYarBo

Reaction score

totally agreed about out laptop prices.

I went states Best Buy gaming laptops are SGD1.5k and local ones same brand SGD2k+++.

jcw_17

Reaction score

how do u claim warranty and repairs though?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.