HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree542Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-06-2019, 01:49 PM   #2116
Master Member

Interesting.

I'll try to use a smaller capacity card (using 64GB) but doesn't Burn Card Maker format the card before creating the boot image?

I'll try to see if Windows 7 works and I've tried different USB ports on both the box and PC (Win10).

It's kind of odd why my TX5 Max just refuse to boot when my wife was using it just the night before flawlessly.
That is strange.

I usually use 16GB/32GB Micro SD card -- Sandisk Ultra A1 rated. I used them with Armbian Linux and Armbian recommends A1 rated cards. They are pretty cheap from stores like Challenger.

TX5 Max has one USB 3.0 port and one USB 2.0 port. You should use the USB 2.0 port.

As for the reset button, where did you find the reset button? I have not opened the TX5 Max myself but it is said you need to open the box to access the reset button, unlike the other boxes.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 18-06-2019 at 06:53 PM..
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 04:10 PM   #2117
Arch-Supremacy Member

That is arrange.

I usually use 16GB/32GB Micro SD card -- Sandisk Ultra A1 rated. I used them with Armbian Linux and Armbian recommends A1 rated cards. They are pretty cheap from stores like Challenger.

TX5 Max has one USB 3.0 port and one USB 2.0 port. You should use the USB 2.0 port.

As for the reset button, where did you find the reset button? I have not opened the TX5 Max myself but it is said you need to open the box to access the reset button, unlike the other boxes.
The reset button is actually underneath the box, there's a tiny hole that you can poke to boot into recovery.
windwaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 07:12 PM   #2118
Master Member

The reset button is actually underneath the box, there's a tiny hole that you can poke to boot into recovery.
Interesting, my one does not have the reset hole.

Ref: others need to drift a hole.
https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv-...-lan-bt4/page5

Maybe you have a later HW revision.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 18-06-2019, 12:18 AM   #2119

Just a quick question, does the Mibox run on android with access to google store? I have the fire tv for stuff like netflix and hulu, so basically i'm looking for another tv box to install apps from google store which i can't run on fire tv. Stuff like tvb anywhere, toggle etc. Would appreciate some input, thanks in advance.
tmster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 07:19 AM   #2120
Master Member

Just a quick question, does the Mibox run on android with access to google store? I have the fire tv for stuff like netflix and hulu, so basically i'm looking for another tv box to install apps from google store which i can't run on fire tv. Stuff like tvb anywhere, toggle etc. Would appreciate some input, thanks in advance.
yes, "mibox s" can run netflix, hulu, tvbanywhere+ from its playstore.

it has built-in chromecast receiver and you can use it to watch video from toggle. you have to run toggle on handphone and chromecast the video to mibox s.
bumperbee likes this.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 07:22 AM   #2121
Master Member

You can sideload apps to your Fire TV. Not sure about Toggle and TVB Anywhere+ though.

Mi Box S has Android TV OS Google Play Store, a curated version of Google Play Store for TV. You can also aide load apps not available in its Play Store..

TVB Anywhere+ TV version is available from the store, but you need to pay for the SVOD subscription in order to use it.

SingTel TV Go and SingTel Cast are also available.

Toggle is not available and can not be side-loaded. Same for Starhub Go. But both Toggle and Starhub Go support Chromecast, so you can cast from your mobile phone since Mi Box S has built-in Chromecast function.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 18-06-2019 at 07:24 AM..
Old 18-06-2019, 02:23 PM   #2122

yes, "mibox s" can run netflix, hulu, tvbanywhere+ from its playstore.

it has built-in chromecast receiver and you can use it to watch video from toggle. you have to run toggle on handphone and chromecast the video to mibox s.
It is for the seniors at home so i'm trying to keep things simple. Main usage is for tvbanywhere, toggle and maybe some chinese drama apps. I assume most decent android boxes should be able to handle this, please correct me if i'm wrong thanks.
Old 18-06-2019, 02:31 PM   #2123

You can sideload apps to your Fire TV. Not sure about Toggle and TVB Anywhere+ though.

Mi Box S has Android TV OS Google Play Store, a curated version of Google Play Store for TV. You can also aide load apps not available in its Play Store..

TVB Anywhere+ TV version is available from the store, but you need to pay for the SVOD subscription in order to use it.

SingTel TV Go and SingTel Cast are also available.

Toggle is not available and can not be side-loaded. Same for Starhub Go. But both Toggle and Starhub Go support Chromecast, so you can cast from your mobile phone since Mi Box S has built-in Chromecast function.

I get it now, so toggle and some apps are on the main google play store but unavailable on the google tv platform. Really appreciate the clarification.

Yes most apps can be sideloaded on fire tv but in reality some work well and some don't. While for those that work, chances are the app interface won't function properly and you can't navigate or click on the menu options. There is the option of getting a 3rd party fire remote but again that is a hit and miss with no guarantee that it will work on the app that you specifically purchase it for.
Old 18-06-2019, 02:37 PM   #2124
Arch-Supremacy Member

Interesting, my one does not have the reset hole.

Ref: others need to drift a hole.
https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv-...-lan-bt4/page5

Maybe you have a later HW revision.
I see, yes the hole that I can poke is the same but not at the same location.

However, it doesn't resolve the boot problem and I'm stuck until I can find a way around flashing it. The only thing I can do now is boot into recovery but when I try to flash from EXT, there's an error and doesn't read the SDcard or thumb drive.
Old 18-06-2019, 03:19 PM   #2125
Master Member

It is for the seniors at home so i'm trying to keep things simple. Main usage is for tvbanywhere, toggle and maybe some chinese drama apps. I assume most decent android boxes should be able to handle this, please correct me if i'm wrong thanks.
it will be painful for them to use apps meant for handphone, such as tvbanywhere, toggle, on "decent" android box.

for seniors, mibox s is a good choice when using apps written for android tv os.
bumperbee likes this.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 07:50 PM   #2126
Master Member

I see, yes the hole that I can poke is the same but not at the same location.

However, it doesn't resolve the boot problem and I'm stuck until I can find a way around flashing it. The only thing I can do now is boot into recovery but when I try to flash from EXT, there's an error and doesn't read the SDcard or thumb drive.
Never tried to flash from the recovery menu. I do not think you can do FW upgrade with the img format within the recovery menu.

I think in the end you need to get the correct FW and for the img file you have to use either the uSD card or the USB Male to Male cable.

Since you can boot into the recovery menu the HW should still be good.

BTW, there are two FW images floating around. You can try both, including the later one with the navigation bar.

My TX5 Max comes with the older version without navigation bar and there has never been any OTA update yet (unlike TX6 which has official FW from Tanix website and quite a few OTA along the way).

FW images for TX5 Max.
https://www.getdroidtips.com/stock-f...x5-max-tv-box/
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 18-06-2019 at 07:55 PM..
Old 19-06-2019, 10:37 AM   #2127
Arch-Supremacy Member

Never tried to flash from the recovery menu. I do not think you can do FW upgrade with the img format within the recovery menu.

I think in the end you need to get the correct FW and for the img file you have to use either the uSD card or the USB Male to Male cable.

Since you can boot into the recovery menu the HW should still be good.

BTW, there are two FW images floating around. You can try both, including the later one with the navigation bar.

My TX5 Max comes with the older version without navigation bar and there has never been any OTA update yet (unlike TX6 which has official FW from Tanix website and quite a few OTA along the way).

FW images for TX5 Max.
https://www.getdroidtips.com/stock-f...x5-max-tv-box/
Hi Xiaofan,

I dug up an old laptop with Windows 7 and installed burning tool. Using the USB A cable, I managed to get a connection with the box.

However, the flash will get stuck at 3% so I unchecked bootloader and it'll go 96% where the temperature range error pops up. I've tried to disable the range, changed it to various ranges like 0-90, 20-60, 20-90, etc and all those doesn't work; it'll still get stuck at 96%.

I've tried both images (stock and bars) but all get stuck at 96%. You (or any expert here) know of anyway around that problem?

TIA.
Old 19-06-2019, 06:21 PM   #2128
Master Member

Hi Xiaofan,

I dug up an old laptop with Windows 7 and installed burning tool. Using the USB A cable, I managed to get a connection with the box.

However, the flash will get stuck at 3% so I unchecked bootloader and it'll go 96% where the temperature range error pops up. I've tried to disable the range, changed it to various ranges like 0-90, 20-60, 20-90, etc and all those doesn't work; it'll still get stuck at 96%.

I've tried both images (stock and bars) but all get stuck at 96%. You (or any expert here) know of anyway around that problem?

TIA.
No idea myself but there are quite some reports like yours (stuck at certain percentage) for FW recovery.

Freaktab forum will be a good place to ask questions.

For example in this thread.
https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/fre...l-wifi-lan-bt4

You can try your luck with a fan as well but TX5 Max is in fact a pretty cool box.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 19-06-2019, 07:20 PM   #2129

Andriod tv box quite nice haha free shows
Twc3821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 01:04 AM   #2130

Maybe just a temporary network thingy related to SingTel Fibre broadband.

But again H96 Max X2 is not officially supported by SingTel TV Go so you are on your own.
Hi Xiaofan, I flash a few times my h96max x2. Then after the last time, i rebooted and now my box power led no light up and i was not able to boot. No more hdmi signal and i cant flash either. U know any solution to reset in the circuit itself?
Shawncck is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.