HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree549Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-10-2019, 09:21 PM   #2401
Master Member

I think gearbest doesn't support SG credit card payment. As well as PayPal I think
The Gearbest link is only for reference.

The problem of buying Tanix boxes in Singapore online sites like Lazada/Shopee is that often you will get OEM version without Tanix logo and the quality may vary.

Gearbest is the only online sites which I know of that is sure to be the official version with Tanix logo.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 21-10-2019 at 06:26 AM..
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 09:56 PM   #2402
Master Member

I think gearbest doesn't support SG credit card payment. As well as PayPal I think
almost confirmed - troll
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 12:49 AM   #2403

Have bought from geatbest using Citibank credit card.
Is it considered as us credit card or sg credit card?
bumperbee likes this.
mankind66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 01:29 AM   #2404

Have bought from geatbest using Citibank credit card.
Is it considered as us credit card or sg credit card?
Not sure bout dat cause i use posb mastercard. I saw accepted credit card payment on gearbest is from US, EU, CND etc
bumperbee likes this.
BiggieZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 06:21 AM   #2405
Master Member

Not sure bout dat cause i use posb mastercard. I saw accepted credit card payment on gearbest is from US, EU, CND etc
I found that you posted many false info in HWZ.

gearbest's preferred payment mode is paypal. and it also accepts most credit cards, and it has a singapore site.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 12:42 PM   #2406

I found that you posted many false info in HWZ.

gearbest's preferred payment mode is paypal. and it also accepts most credit cards, and it has a singapore site.
Ok if wat u say is true, den i try to make purchase a 2nd time
BiggieZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 02:39 PM   #2407

Mi Box S is surprisingly good... I bought it at around $80 from Qoo10 for my dad and the thing is simply amazing for its price... Highly recommend to everyone esp if you are using a TV that cannot connect to internet
any idea if you can upgrade the Android OS? I've had AC Ryan before and the only way to get the updated OS is to buy a new unit.
donetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #2408

can you recommend a good, bang-for-the-buck Android TV box? It doens't hve to be an expensive but decent enough to play 4K videos.
Old 24-10-2019, 07:27 PM   #2409
Master Member

any idea if you can upgrade the Android OS? I've had AC Ryan before and the only way to get the updated OS is to buy a new unit.
AC Ryan is not a good vendor for Android TV boxes.

Mi Box S runs Android TV OS 8.1 and it is a good box to get for streaming application like Netflix. It runs official Android TV OS so you do get chances for OS upgrade.

The older Mi Box Global version got the upgrade from Android TV OS 6 to 8.0.

On the other hand, you will be fine with Android 7/8/9 when it comes to Android TV boxes, not like mobile phone where you may want the latest OS. In fact some people prefer to have Android OS 6 because of better compatibility.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 24-10-2019, 07:32 PM   #2410
Master Member

can you recommend a good, bang-for-the-buck Android TV box? It doens't hve to be an expensive but decent enough to play 4K videos.
What kind of 4k video? If it is for streaming application like Netflix 4k or YouTube 4k, then Mi Box S is one of the best value.

If you want to play 4k video from local media or NAS, depending on the format, Mi Box S may or may not be a good choice.

Read my posts in Page 94 for more info about the choices of Android TV boxes.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 24-10-2019 at 07:34 PM..
Old 25-10-2019, 12:28 AM   #2411

I have a Android tv (not tv box)
I have downloaded 2 YouTube apps, one for Android tv version and non Androidtv version.
For the YouTube app (non Android tv version) it can detect and states that i am watching a hdr video. It will also switch to hdr picture mode.
But for the YouTube app(Android tv version) it can't detect any hdr video at all and don't enter hdr picture mode

Anyone notice this problem? Is it a google design problem?
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by mankind66; 25-10-2019 at 12:53 AM..
Old 25-10-2019, 01:19 AM   #2412

Yes, I had to find this the hard way when my box went kapoot. Their support said that I had to bring it over to them and get it replaced with a new one. Plus the fact that I can't get any decent updates from it.
AC Ryan is not a good vendor for Android TV boxes.
one is for streaming 4K videos and second would be playing those 2160p 4K MKV video. I find AC Ryan's 4K Veolo was struggling when I tried to play a 2160p MKV video from a local storage.
What kind of 4k video? If it is for streaming application like Netflix 4k or YouTube 4k, then Mi Box S is one of the best value.

If you want to play 4k video from local media or NAS, depending on the format, Mi Box S may or may not be a good choice.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 25-10-2019, 06:34 AM   #2413
Master Member

Yes, I had to find this the hard way when my box went kapoot. Their support said that I had to bring it over to them and get it replaced with a new one. Plus the fact that I can't get any decent updates from it.

one is for streaming 4K videos and second would be playing those 2160p 4K MKV video. I find AC Ryan's 4K Veolo was struggling when I tried to play a 2160p MKV video from a local storage.
If you need Netflix 4k, you have very few choices, Mi Box S and Amazon FireTV Stick 4k are the two best value. Both will be most likely okay to play 2160p 4K MKV video depending on the format. Both do not come with Ethernet port and only have one USB 2.0 port. But for Mi Box S you can buy external USB hub and Ethernet combo from Ugreen to overcome that. FireTV Stick 4k supports external MicroUSB Ethernet adapter as well. Mi Box S CPU is on the weaker side but it is running official Android TV OS with good optimization. And it supports Chromecast function which is very useful.

https://androidpctv.com/review-xiaomi-mi-box-s/
https://androidpctv.com/review-amazon-fire-tv-stick-4k/

If you do not need Netflix 4k (for example you have Samsung/LG smart TV with 4K Netflix support) the S905X2/S905X3 based boxes may be a good choice, like the Beelink GT1 Mini and GT1 Mini 2. The CPU is pretty powerful to decode different 4K video format, USB 3.0 and Gigabit Ethernet are also good for local/NAS media playing. Take note GT1 Mini 2 is very new so you may need to upgrade the FW to get it function properly and wait for more upgrade to get its full potential.

https://androidpctv.com/review-beelink-gt1-mini/

If you need good local media playing and Netflix 4K in one box, you may have to look at high end boxes like Nvidia Shield TV (new version coming). You may take a look at he new Amazon FireTV Cube 2nd generation as well.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 25-10-2019 at 07:49 AM..
Old 25-10-2019, 08:02 AM   #2414
Master Member

I have a Android tv (not tv box)
I have downloaded 2 YouTube apps, one for Android tv version and non Androidtv version.
For the YouTube app (non Android tv version) it can detect and states that i am watching a hdr video. It will also switch to hdr picture mode.
But for the YouTube app(Android tv version) it can't detect any hdr video at all and don't enter hdr picture mode

Anyone notice this problem? Is it a google design problem?
Definitely not a Google problem but a problem with your Android TV vendor's inability to upgrade the FW properly on time. What is the brand and model?

For example, Sony only adds support in late Dec 2018 for some not-so-old models to support YouTube HDR. BTW you have to use Android TV version to support 4K YouTube.
https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...icles/00161421

*5 The TV supports YouTube™ HDR (HLG/HDR10) starting December 3, 2018. Make sure to update your YouTube app to version 2.04.05 or later.

*6 With the software update, YouTube HDR content is now detected automatically and displayed in HDR format.

Android Smart TV are not that super popular for a reason as the vendors are in general not very good at FW upgrade, maybe it is a common Google Android problem. Sony is already the best among them.

In US Android TV OS is behind Samsung Tizen, LG WebOS and Roku OS.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 25-10-2019, 01:23 PM   #2415

Definitely not a Google problem but a problem with your Android TV vendor's inability to upgrade the FW properly on time. What is the brand and model?

For example, Sony only adds support in late Dec 2018 for some not-so-old models to support YouTube HDR. BTW you have to use Android TV version to support 4K YouTube.
https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...icles/00161421

*5 The TV supports YouTube™ HDR (HLG/HDR10) starting December 3, 2018. Make sure to update your YouTube app to version 2.04.05 or later.

*6 With the software update, YouTube HDR content is now detected automatically and displayed in HDR format.

Android Smart TV are not that super popular for a reason as the vendors are in general not very good at FW upgrade, maybe it is a common Google Android problem. Sony is already the best among them.

In US Android TV OS is behind Samsung Tizen, LG WebOS and Roku OS.

I believe it is a google problem. Also got people complain in other forum in the web.
They recommend smart YouTube and i tried and it's able to detect hdr signal.

For my tv box, i enable hdr for the box and everything is in hdr. Able to select different type of hdr picture style

Had just bought a new Android tv. Still not use to Android tv setup. The play store has very little useful apps compare to normal play store which has full features.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by mankind66; 25-10-2019 at 01:28 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.