Android TV Box

fake_oranges

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for your well meaning
But we are in singapore and should view laws in the singapore context

Like if overseas people can own guns dont mean we can take that as a precedent or case in singapore

If you are in international tv box's forums or facebook groups, you will see many reports from users asking what to do because they received warning letters from ISP.

But it is up to you if you think that downloading movies using torrents is ok. If you peep further, you will realise that using popcorn time to streaming is the same as downloading.

The point here is it is not necessary to risk yourself because there are many better apps for movies which are not illegal to use.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You got tricked into buying box from conman.

There are many conman selling tv boxes. They operate in this way: get cheap $30 boxes, install some free software download from internet, then sell them at $100-$200. Some even print a logo on the box, of course they pass the cost to you.

If you buy the same box with only android os at $30 and install apps yourself, it won't "just stop working at the next day".

Actually there is nothing special about android box, you can view it as an android phone, or android tablet, except that it has no screen, and have to use your tv to see the picture.

That's right. I've learnt a valuable lesson from that stupid box and have become better ever since.

I do find Starhub's offering quite worth it because I really had no time trying to find an Android box that ticks all the boxes (or most of it). Besides, a good one will be about $70~$80 and it doesn't come with subscription.

In fact, there's one seller right at Raffles Place MRT selling those useless box; so many people fell for it.

squarepipe

Reaction score
You basically got 2 types of android boxes to choose from.

1st is boxes that run the AndroidTV OS i.e nvidia shield and mibox. Some TV like sony has AndroidTV OS built in. Those you get the best experience with integrated google voice assistant,chromecast,4K netflix and the ability to control with your google home.

The other is boxes from other companies like MXQ, Mecool etc.
Those come with the same android version that comes with your phone/tablet. The benefit being you can install all the same apps like your own phone. The downside is you wont get the TV optimized version of the apps and some will only work best with a touchscreen or mouse & keyboard. Also the launcher will be a custom skin designed by the manufacturer that most likely pales in comparison when compared with AndroidTV OS

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your well meaning
But we are in singapore and should view laws in the singapore context

Like if overseas people can own guns dont mean we can take that as a precedent or case in singapore

In singapore context, it is not illegal to keep a few downloaded videos for own use, but it is illegal to host the video for distribution or keep a large number of downloaded videos.

Using torrent to stream or download video is the same as hosting the video for illegal distributions.

Our government doesn't actively enforce it, but if the content providers complain, they will act on it.

fake_oranges

Banned
Reaction score
Torrent stream might be a grey area
I host, but i dont think i host the complete show when streaming. Heck, I dont even know if i am hosting. From my perspective is just a stream like Youtube. There is an option to download, but I dont download. If the streamers all take down their video, then i cant access. I am not holding a copy. I am not liable

If you download and keep, yes. Potential and most prob you are infringing. But so far have been civil suits for the downloaders. ODEX and Dallas Buyers Club (who the fuxx wants to see such a show anyway). These cases are counting on the fact that you keep a copy that you didnt buy = piracy.

Those decoders that decode Singtel and Starhub are plain stealing

In singapore context, it is not illegal to keep a few downloaded videos for own use, but it is illegal to host the video for distribution or keep a large number of downloaded videos.

Using torrent to stream or download video is the same as hosting the video for illegal distributions.

Our government doesn't actively enforce it, but if the content providers complain, they will act on it.

MyNameIsNas

Reaction score
I'm looking at h96 Pro max.

Qoo10 with local warranty 1 year.. 32gb.. $97
Lazada, ship from overseas no warranty 64gb model.. $65

Amy advise?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Amy advise?

why not a mibox international version at $70+

reliable hardware from reputable company, quality components, and google-certified android TV OS.

Pearce

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Android tv box user, how to stop having ads pop up while watching? Every 5 to 8 mins, the ads will auto pop up.

MyNameIsNas

Reaction score
why not a mibox international version at $70+

reliable hardware from reputable company, quality components, and google-certified android TV OS.

just looking at the specs actually with 4GB ram and 32/64gb storage.

the tv os still can access the normal playstore? and how about installing apk?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just looking at the specs actually with 4GB ram and 32/64gb storage.

the tv os still can access the normal playstore? and how about installing apk?

if you are using it as tv box, there is no difference between 2GB and 4GB. i.e additional 2GB are wasted.

Pearce

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is the box rooted? If so you can install adaway from the f-droid store. It's a system wide adblocker

How to check if it is rooted? I guess not since I saw many ads pop up?

Can you guide how to solve this problem?

dryteletubby

Reaction score
How to check if it is rooted? I guess not since I saw many ads pop up?

Can you guide how to solve this problem?

Install root checker from the Google play store. It should tell you. Root has nothing to do with ads. More like the app developer greedy and put as much ads as possible into the app.

mankind66

Reaction score

Amy advise?

Is this box using rk3328 processor. Very slow and not stable. Better to get amlogic processor. YouTube has videos not recommending this box. Octal core processor are faster and the wifi is dual band.

swathe

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What apps are the Sim Lim salesman using? I intend to get my own box.

TheBaldMan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any good apps for old movies?And tricks to get netflix for free other then 1mth offer?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.