HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree542Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #541
Master Member

Strange, most x96 mini i searched have BT, see this....
Ah yes you are right there are different versions of this X96 Mini.
http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...9-h-265/page17

This is a generic no-brand device and my box comes with a
nice package but no identification of brand or manufacturer .

BTW, make sure you buy the 2GB/16GB version and not the 1GB/8GB version if you decide to go with this version.
xiaofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #542
Supremacy Member

Ah yes you are right there are different versions of this X96 Mini.
http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...9-h-265/page17

This is a generic no-brand device and my box comes with a
nice package but no identification of brand or manufacturer .

BTW, make sure you buy the 2GB/16GB version and not the 1GB/8GB version if you decide to go with this version.
Thanks, I assume yours is this one?

Sambuca78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 02:34 PM   #543
Master Member

Thanks, I assume yours is this one?

Not this one. My one’s outlook is like the other one.
Old 27-10-2018, 04:21 PM   #544
Master Member

Not this one. My one’s outlook is like the other one.
x96 is just one alphabet and 2 numbers.

anybody can make boxes and called them x96.

same for any other brandless box.

it is like lucky draw, when buying these brandless box, because you will only know what you bought when unboxing.

those who made these box has no reputation to protect, since there is none in the beginning.

it is safer to buy box with brands, the price for box with budget brand are in fact similar to these no-brand box, tanix, beelink, nexbox, are some of the budget brands.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 04:43 PM   #545
Master Member

it is safer to buy box with brands, the price for box with budget brand are in fact similar to these no-brand box, tanix, beelink, nexbox, are some of the budget brands.
That is a good advice, especially for people buying from Qoo10, Lazada or Shopee which I myself do not use.

I use Taobao where no-brand boxes are cheaper and more popular (very few Tanix or Beelink or Zidoo there) and I can use the Taobao reviews to know which one is more popular and more likely to be better. So far so good for me for the three no-branded boxes.
Old 27-10-2018, 06:56 PM   #546
Master Member

any recommendations for non tvos box that runs viu and has google play store? have the old mibox which was a pita to always sideload when viu updates and the old app doesnt work unless its the latest version.

i also have the mibox international but its tvos with no viu in the appstore nor can it e sideloaded...
You can buy those Amlogic 905W/905X/912 based Android TV box (usually 7.1.x version) and they will come with mobile phone version of Google Play and you can install apps like Viu, Toggle, etc.
Old 27-10-2018, 09:24 PM   #547
Master Member

any recommendations for non tvos box that runs viu and has google play store? have the old mibox which was a pita to always sideload when viu updates and the old app doesnt work unless its the latest version.

i also have the mibox international but its tvos with no viu in the appstore nor can it e sideloaded...
viu app is chromecast enable. It is also designed in such a way that it is not convenient to use on tv box.

so the better way is to run it on handphone and chromecast it to mibox international version, as per designed.
Old 27-10-2018, 09:55 PM   #548
Master Member

there are only 2 official google TV boxes, they are the nvidia shield and the xiaomi mi box
I thought this was correct before judging from the Google website Android TV website. However the following site claims to list all the certified Android TV device (including obsolete device)
https://sites.google.com/view/droid-tv/home

Streaming TV boxes:
https://sites.google.com/view/droid-tv/streaming-gaming

I have doubts whether Mecool KM8 is certified or not but at least JBL Link Bar is for sure certified.
https://www.androidauthority.com/jbl...ty-buy-896808/

StarHub TV Go is listed in the Pay TV and OTT provider list. So looks quite likely it is certified as well.
https://sites.google.com/view/droid-tv/home
Old 27-10-2018, 10:04 PM   #549
Master Member

viu app is chromecast enable. It is also designed in such a way that it is not convenient to use on tv box.

so the better way is to run it on handphone and chromecast it to mibox international version, as per designed.
I see. I do not use Viu myself.

Those Android boxes does come with AirPlay and Miracast function as far as I tested. I myself do not use them though with my TV since I have ChromeCast 1st gen, and Apple TV 3rd gen for those usages. Along with SingTel TV box, my TV’s three HDMI ports are fully occupied.

My Android boxes are linked to my Dell monitor for my personal experiments.
Old 28-10-2018, 08:46 AM   #550

The Singapore Android TV box Facebook group is pretty good. No matter which box people buy (Mi Box International Version included), it is good to join the group.

In reality, Android TV sorted out some issues like high resolution YouTube and Netflix— still the use cases for people here is quite diverse with many people like to have access to Asian entertainment stuff where you may need to pay for VPN or need to use many apps which are of dubious nature. That is why people here still buying those “scam” device from local vendors.

For myself, I am paying for SingTel TV, mainly for my kids. I have older version of ChromCast and Apple TV 3rd gen. YouTube is in fact good enough for my own need for entertainment and learning use.
i can't join see their page.. it says
Sorry, this content isn't available at the moment

The link you followed may have expired, or the Page may only be visible to an audience that you aren't in.

funky05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #551
Master Member

Which link? You go to Facebook app and then search for “New TV Box SG”. Mr Choo is one of the admins there. You need to wait to be added to the group.
Old 28-10-2018, 10:30 AM   #552
Master Member

Just for record, there is a prior thread called “Internet TV box users lip lai!!! - no sale no illegal apk no traffic sniffing !! - Part 2” which has a lot of info as well.

And then there is a thread about unblock ubox (along with evpad) for those who prefer to get popular higher cost box. The HW spec is not worth the cost (only 1GB RAM even for the latest “gen 5” or UPro Box) and I will not buy it myself since you are relying on an app which may be down anytime the company is down. I can understand why people go to UBox since it seems to at least have some good support and the company seems to be alive for quite long.
Old 28-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #553
Master Member

S

Just for record, there is a prior thread called “Internet TV box users lip lai!!! - no sale no illegal apk no traffic sniffing !! - Part 2” which has a lot of info as well.

And then there is a thread about unblock ubox (along with evpad) for those who prefer to get popular higher cost box. The HW spec is not worth the cost (only 1GB RAM even for the latest “gen 5” or UPro Box) and I will not buy it myself since you are relying on an app which may be down anytime the company is down. I can understand why people go to UBox since it seems to at least have some good support and the company seems to be alive for quite long.
The spec , contents and support are ok, but the hardware built quality is not good.

If the box can last 2 years then can consider lucky. unlike other brands, It is not beneficial for the manufacturer if the box is reliable.
Old 28-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #554

those who are using, can it be used to watch EPL every week?
clashroll9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #555

Which link? You go to Facebook app and then search for “New TV Box SG”. Mr Choo is one of the admins there. You need to wait to be added to the group.
it doesn't allow me to..

funky05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.