HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Android TV Box

Like Tree551Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-03-2019, 12:34 PM   #1381
Master Member

Thank you Xiaofan for the details info. After checking Zidoo, it’s quite expensive with a low OS. Found another one which is even more interesting. It come with Dvb-C & T2 tuner, “MECOOL KIII PRO DVB-S2 DVB-T2 DVB-C TV Box Media Player Android 7.1 3GB 16GB Amlogic S912 Octa Core 4K Original Set Top Box”, selling at S$133.73 at Aliexpress. Any idea how this one perform?
Zidoo is kind of high end brand in Android TV boxes and the boxes with dual HDMI can record from different source.

As for hybrid TV box you do not have many choices. Mecool KIII Pro is one of them and Magicsee C400 is another one. S912 box will have good enough performance, similar to S905X2, but with better gaming performance because of better GPU in S912. S905X2 has better connectivity in terms of USB 3.

If you only need video recording for over the air TV, then you can go with the Mecool Kiii Pro, or use an normal Android TV box but add a cheap DVB-T2 box here.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/h...c-5890904.html
bumperbee likes this.
xiaofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 02:13 PM   #1382

Can someone recommend a box that is able to watch 4k shows??

Quite new to this android box.
FakPinoyPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 03:22 PM   #1383

Zidoo is kind of high end brand in Android TV boxes and the boxes with dual HDMI can record from different source.

As for hybrid TV box you do not have many choices. Mecool KIII Pro is one of them and Magicsee C400 is another one. S912 box will have good enough performance, similar to S905X2, but with better gaming performance because of better GPU in S912. S905X2 has better connectivity in terms of USB 3.

If you only need video recording for over the air TV, then you can go with the Mecool Kiii Pro, or use an normal Android TV box but add a cheap DVB-T2 box here.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/h...c-5890904.html
Hi xiaofan,how will the Mi S box compare to the Beelink gt 1 4/32 in terms of performance?

Will the Beelink be more challenging to use?
coolstrawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 03:26 PM   #1384

Me too. I also want to get one.
I bought 1 from Sim lim square but cannot watch channel 5.
What is the streaming for is it need to purchase separately.
RockStar9238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 04:54 PM   #1385
Master Member

For new users, just buy Mi Box S as the first box, no issue with Netflix 4k and YouTube 4k. It also supports Chromecast 4k so that you can cast to TV from apps like Toggle, SingTel Cast, SingTel TV Go, HBO Go and Starhub Go. It costs around S$70-90 from Lazada/Shopee/Qoo10.

Or if you are willing to spend the money for best performance available, get Nvidia Shield TV. It normally costs around US$169/189 from Amazon depending on the bundled remote and game controller. But there could be offer price from time to time as well.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 21-03-2019, 05:01 PM   #1386
Master Member

Hi xiaofan,how will the Mi S box compare to the Beelink gt 1 4/32 in terms of performance?

Will the Beelink be more challenging to use?
Beelink GT1 Mini box will have better hardware specifications than Mi Box S.

On the other hand, Mi Box S runs the official Android TV OS and therefore has the advantage of supporting Netflix 4K and Chromecast 4k. So if you need these two feature, you can forget about all Android TV boxes except Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV.

If you do not need the two feature, then you can consider boxes like Beelink GT1 Mini.

You seem to worry about performance and ease of use, in that case, you may want to consider Nvidia Shield TV which is the king of all Android TV box. It has all the features of Mi Box S like Netflix 4K and Chromecast 4k, it also beats the performance of all Android TV boxes out there and probably all the smart TV out there as well. Just need to spend a bit more, usually US$169/189 from Amazon.
bumperbee likes this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 21-03-2019 at 05:09 PM..
Old 21-03-2019, 10:58 PM   #1387

For new users, just buy Mi Box S as the first box, no issue with Netflix 4k and YouTube 4k. It also supports Chromecast 4k so that you can cast to TV from apps like Toggle, SingTel Cast, SingTel TV Go, HBO Go and Starhub Go. It costs around S$70-90 from Lazada/Shopee/Qoo10.

Or if you are willing to spend the money for best performance available, get Nvidia Shield TV. It normally costs around US$169/189 from Amazon depending on the bundled remote and game controller. But there could be offer price from time to time as well.
Thanks for the quick run through. So i just went to google and learn about Chromecast. Apparently, it is a dongle for me to connect to the TV so i can stream from my mobile phone right? If so, what exactly does the Mi Box S do? Am i missing something here?

Sorry for the newbie question haha.
FakPinoyPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2019, 11:23 PM   #1388
Master Member

Thanks for the quick run through. So i just went to google and learn about Chromecast. Apparently, it is a dongle for me to connect to the TV so i can stream from my mobile phone right? If so, what exactly does the Mi Box S do? Am i missing something here?

Sorry for the newbie question haha.
https://www.android.com/tv/

Official Android TV OS device like Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV has Chromecast function built-in.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 21-03-2019, 11:59 PM   #1389
Master Member

Hi, got a mibox s for my dad. Currently only Netflix and YouTube installed. Any suggestions for Chinese channels / movies / dramas or variety shows with easy navigation? Don't mind if it's paid sub like Netflix.

I saw the starhub select (Asian shows), can I just subscribe to the $9.90/month and let my parents cast from their phone to the box?
storm913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 12:10 AM   #1390
Master Member

Hi, got a mibox s for my dad. Currently only Netflix and YouTube installed. Any suggestions for Chinese channels / movies / dramas or variety shows with easy navigation? Don't mind if it's paid sub like Netflix.

I saw the starhub select (Asian shows), can I just subscribe to the $9.90/month and let my parents cast from their phone to the box?
google for imahua

install tv version, can play from mibox directly
storm913 and bumperbee like this.
gregory_choo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 07:02 AM   #1391
Master Member

http://www.starhub.com/personal/mobi...go-select.html

Yes Starhub Go Select should be okay. Starhub Go app supports Go Chromecast.

SingTel CAST Asian Plus is another choice if you are a SingTel customer. It supports Chromecast. You can actually install the app on the Mi Box S itself.
https://www.singtel.com/personal/pro...ast/asian-plus

Cheaper paid option is Youku TV 酷喵影视 VIP. It supports 1080p and a bit of 4k contents, RMB 399 per year or about S$80 per year but often there are promotions. For example RMB70 per quarter now. I am paying for normal Youku VIP which is good for mobile phone and tablet. It is pretty good if you understand Chinese. It got movies and dramas from mainland China, HK, Taiwan, Korea and US.
https://pd.youku.com/CIBN?screen=phone

Take note you can try Youku TV 酷喵影视 for free by using free VPN like Transocks. But once you pay for the VIP, no need to use VPN.

For live TV from China, you can use apps like 华文电视,超级直播,电视家,etc. They are free and you can install them on Mi Box S itself.

Last edited by xiaofan; 22-03-2019 at 07:12 AM..
Old 22-03-2019, 09:41 AM   #1392

http://www.starhub.com/personal/mobi...go-select.html

Yes Starhub Go Select should be okay. Starhub Go app supports Go Chromecast.

SingTel CAST Asian Plus is another choice if you are a SingTel customer. It supports Chromecast. You can actually install the app on the Mi Box S itself.
https://www.singtel.com/personal/pro...ast/asian-plus

Cheaper paid option is Youku TV 酷喵影视 VIP. It supports 1080p and a bit of 4k contents, RMB 399 per year or about S$80 per year but often there are promotions. For example RMB70 per quarter now. I am paying for normal Youku VIP which is good for mobile phone and tablet. It is pretty good if you understand Chinese. It got movies and dramas from mainland China, HK, Taiwan, Korea and US.
https://pd.youku.com/CIBN?screen=phone

Take note you can try Youku TV 酷喵影视 for free by using free VPN like Transocks. But once you pay for the VIP, no need to use VPN.

For live TV from China, you can use apps like 华文电视,超级直播,电视家,etc. They are free and you can install them on Mi Box S itself.
Can the Beelink install these apps too?
Old 22-03-2019, 10:25 AM   #1393
Master Member

Can the Beelink install these apps too?
For sure you can install Youku.

But not so sure about SingTel Cast (also SingTel TV Go), they detect rooted box and refuse to run on m generic boxes. So Beelink Box may have the same problem.

For Starhub Go and Toggle, better to use hand phone and then cast to TV. So you should get Mi Box S because of the support of Chromecast.

All in all, it seems to me you should buy Mi Box S or even better Nvidia Shield TV and forget about all other boxes.

Generic boxes including branded box like Zidoo, Minix, Beelink and Tanix, are meant for more experienced users who knows what they want. First time buyers will be better off buying Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV.
bumperbee likes this.
Old 22-03-2019, 10:35 AM   #1394

For sure you can install Youku.

But not so sure about SingTel Cast (also SingTel TV Go), they detect rooted box and refuse to run on m generic boxes. So Beelink Box may have the same problem.

For Starhub Go and Toggle, better to use hand phone and then cast to TV. So you should get Mi Box S because of the support of Chromecast.

All in all, it seems to me you should buy Mi Box S or even better Nvidia Shield TV and forget about all other boxes.

Generic boxes including branded box like Zidoo, Minix, Beelink and Tanix, are meant for more experienced users who knows what they want. First time buyers will be better off buying Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV.
sorry. Shouldn't have quoted your entire post. I was actually referring to

"For live TV from China, you can use apps like 华文电视,超级直播,电视家,etc. They are free and you can install them on Mi Box S itself."

I just placed down the order for the beelink. I like that it had a lan port. Looks like i'll have a steeper learning curve. But really appreciative of your insights thus far
Old 22-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #1395
Master Member

sorry. Shouldn't have quoted your entire post. I was actually referring to

"For live TV from China, you can use apps like 华文电视,超级直播,电视家,etc. They are free and you can install them on Mi Box S itself."

I just placed down the order for the beelink. I like that it had a lan port. Looks like i'll have a steeper learning curve. But really appreciative of your insights thus far
No issue to install those apps. For these Chinese apps, Beelink GT1 Mini will be better than Mi Box S because of better HW spec and the Gigabit Ethernet. Also you get USB 3.0 port.

I am mostly interested in Chinese Entertainment (no interests in Netflix) and I have Chromecast 1st gen and Apple TV 3rd gen, so I will not buy Mi Box S myself.

It is actually not that hard to use once you get the box and try it out. Pretty similar to an Android phone.

Dangbei market or Shafa market have a lot of Chinese apps for Android TV boxes if you understand Mandarin. Just install one of them and you can try different VOD apps and live TV apps.

https://m.dangbei.com/
http://m.shafa.com/

I am not familiar with other apps but I am very familiar with Chinese Entertainment apps. The following thread can be of some references even though it is for iPhone. You will get much more choices for Android.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...s-5929935.html
kiama, geotowf and bumperbee like this.

Last edited by xiaofan; 22-03-2019 at 10:51 AM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.