HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Any tailors in Bangkok to recommend?

Like Tree197Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2015, 08:17 PM   #1861

Hi guys,

I will be staying at Amari Watergate, wonder if anyone tried Alex Fashion tailor on level 2. Was recommended by colleague as we are staying there.

Any idea of the quality, prices and services? Planning to get several shirts and pants.

Appreciate if you can advise.

Thanks!
lunatic_tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:00 PM   #1862
Supremacy Member

Hi guys,

I will be staying at Amari Watergate, wonder if anyone tried Alex Fashion tailor on level 2. Was recommended by colleague as we are staying there.

Any idea of the quality, prices and services? Planning to get several shirts and pants.

Appreciate if you can advise.

Thanks!
I wanna know too! I'm going next week and at Amari too.
athenodorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #1863
Master Member

I made some shirts and one suit from Alex in my last trip to BKK. Not too bad. Best to go for the package which gives quite good value. Also depends on the number of days you are in Thailand, you should try for 1 fitting. Next week might be tough with the Songkran holiday.
Tyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:54 PM   #1864
Supremacy Member

I made some shirts and one suit from Alex in my last trip to BKK. Not too bad. Best to go for the package which gives quite good value. Also depends on the number of days you are in Thailand, you should try for 1 fitting. Next week might be tough with the Songkran holiday.
i'll be back when Songkran starts..lol..

was deciding which to go...Alex or Newman..den i go see tripadvisor, Newman like got quite a few negative feedback.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:19 AM   #1865

Hi Tyer,

Appreciate if you can share the package with us ^^
lunatic_tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:53 AM   #1866
Master Member

Hi bro.

I cannot recall the package price I paid, but found this link.

http://www.passportchop.com/asia/tha...or-made-shirt/

Seem to have a link on the package. Hope it helps.
Boltstorm likes this.
Tyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:53 PM   #1867

Any tailors to recommend around Siam Paragon?
Not really. Best to take the BTS to Nana and go to one of the many recommended in this thread.

ToT are the most expensive and supposedly the best, but if you only want to make a few shirts they will ignore you
Just not true. I had just 3 shirts made and their customer service was excellent. They answered every question I had in email no matter how small.
lostpacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:20 PM   #1868

First, thanks guys for starting this thread. I live in Bangkok and pretty much used this thread as the basis for my search for a good tailor.

I want to share my experience with two tailors so maybe I can help another making the same choices as me. The two tailors are Crown and Tailor on Ten. It's a bit long, so please bear with me.

Crown
I went to Crown first because it seemed from some of the comments here that it was simply a matter of price as they both had the same material and customer service.

There was no need for an appointment. I was greeted by a friendly staff and showed around the store. The store is a bit small, but ok. I was shown poly, 100% cotton, luxury cotton, and I think high end 110. The 100% cotton was 1,500B per shirt. There was no minimum order amount.

First, the material. They have a limited amount on the rolls. The rest you have to look at small books to choose. He claims it was in their stock, but he had to check on availability for each piece. For me, it was a bit of a pain to envision what a shirt looked like from a 50x75mm piece of cloth. The patterns are classic, and pretty decent. I grabbed a tattersall, gingham, and striped pattern.

I made my choices and the guy measured me. All went well and I was told to come back in 3 days for a fitting.

I came back, the fitting was good and so I approved the 3 shirts.

When I went to get the shirts, they were not ready. I waited and then a lady on a motorbike brought them. This makes me wonder if they were made in house as he claimed.

The finished shirts were good, but they seemed a bit long and the cuffs a bit too long and wide. Overall I was pleased with the shirts.

Taylor on Ten
I had to book an appointment, which was done via email (I could have called in too). I showed up and was greeted by a friendly staff. He showed me the cloth and explained the prices. The 100% cotton was 2,000B, the luxury cotton 2,400B , 120 doubles 3,300B, and 4,500B for Thomas Mason.

The 100% cotton was upstairs and about the same amount as Crown to choose from. What they did succeed at was the luxury cotton. The had much more than Crown in this area, and really nice patterns. Crown seemed a bit dated and old fashioned compared to ToT.

The original sales person was really honest and not pushy at all. In fact he told me the Egyptian Cotton is really soft, but wrinkles like mad, so if wrinkles bothered me to stay away from it.

The one thing that differs is that all the cloth is on bolts right in front of you, not book checking for designs.The designs were classic, but felt a bit more modern than Crown. They definitely had more modern designs if you so desired, like small boat anchors. I selected a solid color, thin check, and thicker small check.

Another man fitted me and seemed pretty through. Not much different than Crown. He stated that they are very busy and it would be a week for the first fitting. I live here, so I was not in a hurry.

First fitting. Everything went well. One of the first things I noticed when trying on the shirts was just how much better the luxury cotton felt than the 100% cotton. Honestly, I couldn't feel much of a difference on the bolt, but in person, wow! The luxury cotton was much softer, smoother, lighter, and thinner. I was really happy I chose luxury over 100%.

During the fitting I did notice a few things. I wore one of the shirts from Crown and asked why the sleeves were too short comparatively. I know the sleeve should end right at the upper thumb bone, which it did, but it seemed short. The guy looked at the crown shirt and said it was too long. I checked, sure enough, he was right. The shirt did end at the thumb, but it bunched more. It was then I noticed that the cuff on the ToT shirt was also tighter. Basically the ToT shirt was the proper length and the cuff the right size, just big enough to slide over a watch. The Crown shirt was about 15-20mm too long and the cuff a bit too big in diameter. I also noticed the width of the cuff was wider on the Crown, which made it look funny.

If that wasn't enough, the guy was inspecting the Crown shirt when I tried on the others. He asked if I paid for MoP buttons and I said I did. He showed that the buttons were plastic, not MoP. Son of a... He also showed me that Crown shirts were single stitched, but the ToT shirts were all double stitched. He also showed me that the felt they used in the collar area was thicker in the Crown shirts, which he claims will lead to a wrinkle. The ToT shirt just felt better in the neck due to the lighter felt material (but still very rigid and held their shape).

Fast forward to the final fitting. The shirts fit great, especially the sleeves. It just felt like a proper shirt overall. The Crown shirts were good in the body, but ToT even better. They have the tailor in house, so I could see everything done. I paid 7,200B for 3 luxury cotton shirts. Money well spent.

So in contrast, the ToT shirts had a proper cuff in terms of both width and diameter. They were double stitched. The collar area was softer, but still very rigid. ToT used collar stays (not sure if Crown offered this). The fit was much nicer as the sleeves were a proper fit. To me, this is a huge plus for ToT and a big ding for Crown. Actual real MoP buttons.

In the end, would I go back to Crown. Nope, not at all. I would much rather pay the extra 500B to look at everything on a bolt. If I make a mistake and order a shirt from a pattern that looks great, but looks like crap on a shirt, I just wasted 1,500B minimum. The big ding for me are the cuffs and sleeve length. The cuffs (same design as ToT) are just too wide. They are too big in diameter as well (think 60mm watch that the shirt could slide over with ease). The sleeve length is just crappy tailoring imho.

Would I recommend Crown? Sure, but just pay attention to what you are getting, the fit, and anything you don't agree with.

For me, ToT is excellent. Great, friendly staff. Great selection of cloth for every budget. Excellent fit, the proper way a shirt should fit. I know for sure who I will go with for making pants and suits in the future.

TL: DR version
Crown
longer sleeves
wider and larger diameter cuff, looks funny
with exception of sleeves, the fit was very good, but slightly bigger than ToT
good service
lied about MoP buttons
single stiched
harder collar material

ToT
Slightly better and more modern selection of patterns
All cloth on bolts, easier to look at
slim fit, perfect in body
perfect fit in sleeves
cuffs proper width and diameter
excellent overall fit
real MoP buttons

Last edited by lostpacket; 07-04-2015 at 09:43 PM..
lostpacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:52 PM   #1869

First, thanks guys for starting this thread. I live in Bangkok and pretty much used this thread as the basis for my search for a good tailor.
Thanks for the detailed review!
ckwoo1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:56 PM   #1870
Supremacy Member

I am at Bangkok now and I gave Admire Tailor a shot. Surprisingly quite good experience and they are able to deliver within few days despite Ph and long weekend tmr.

Had my first fitting just now and I liked it. Shall see the finished products first on Sunday.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:25 PM   #1871
Arch-Supremacy Member

I am at Bangkok now and I gave Admire Tailor a shot. Surprisingly quite good experience and they are able to deliver within few days despite Ph and long weekend tmr.

Had my first fitting just now and I liked it. Shall see the finished products first on Sunday.
i made 4 shirts with them too. quality not too bad.
athenodorus likes this.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:37 AM   #1872

Not really. Best to take the BTS to Nana and go to one of the many recommended in this thread.

Just not true. I had just 3 shirts made and their customer service was excellent. They answered every question I had in email no matter how small.
Boo...Must have gotten the team asshat then
Humbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 04:46 PM   #1873
Master Member

will be staying in silom this time round, any good tailor recommended? thanks
catachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 09:55 PM   #1874

made a number of shirts @ both Crown and Boss Avenue some 2 years back.

I agree with lostpacket that selecting fabric from a catalogue at Crown was a selection headache. I also found their designs are more safe and classic. However compared to Boss, the fit is more consistent across the few shirts I made with them though I had to remind Crown a number of times during the 2 fitting sessions that I preferred slim fitting (being young and vain then).

Boss Avenue had trendier selection of patterns and being on rolls made visualizing the final product easier. Unfortunately the fit across the few shirts made with them were inconsistent. Even their pricing varies (overhearing Dave's discussions with other customers during the fitting sessions). Even the additional shirt I order in my second fitting was quoted differently from the original batch. Boss has a younger (and more Singaporean) clientele while Crown was mostly older white men.

It is unfair to compare the end product from the two tailors as they are different price-points but the Crown shirts fitted consistently while those from Boss had varying fit. 2 years on, the shirts from Crown are still in good shape while the ones from Boss show obvious wear - even my older off-the-shelf shirts from Zara and H&M are holding up better

Will I return for more shirts with either tailors in my future trips?

Boss Avenue - Yes, for cheap trendy shirts for casual Fridays but not for serious formal wear and definitely not for suits
Crown - Not sure until I try other recommended tailors in similar price range

Last edited by lousylah; 19-04-2015 at 10:00 PM..
lousylah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 01:51 PM   #1875

going to visit bangkok during Aug long public holiday, any good and value for money tailor there? plan to make dozen shirts and couple pants. please recommend.
mayocraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.