www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Thailand (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/thailand-279/)
-   -   Any tailors in Bangkok to recommend? (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/thailand-279/any-tailors-bangkok-recommend-2480253.html)

Condor 13-01-2011 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaxvms (Post 52090234)
true, I am on design more than quality for daily wear...guess boss ave this trip for me to try out :)
will make some quality one from narin , or will go Tanika recommeded by bro condor to take a look

yes yes yes, please do. then share with us your views as well so that we know where to best put our dollar.

anyway i took a quick look at my shirts. workmanship seems good. better than last round. but too dead tired to take a close look. my feedback is the fitting could be better i.e. less "air pocket excess". not the slimmer fit that i wanted but is quite ok nonetheless.

i think the shirts turn out looking quite good, at least imo. i am happy with how the fabric combi and design turn out.

only thing is some areas they didn't managed to get exactly what i wanted and 3 shirts had some requests missed/done wrongly.

grantt 13-01-2011 03:12 AM

I'm back in Bangkok after quite a while actually and stopped by Crown again (my favorite tailors out of the listed above). I actually disagree with Condor on 2 things about Crown:

1. Variety - maybe you have not asked them to see their full range? I always get these crazy amount of books that they give to me to see everytime I am there. I don't think I ever see the same fabric twice!

2. Styling - they are always happy to help out what styling I want. I mean - I once took a shirt with a different collar, diferent inside, different cuff, different inside AND different sleeve placket and they still accomodated me! ( I know the shirt sounds ridiculous, but it wasn't as crazy as it sounds because the inside of the shirts were the shirt fabric itself! ).

Other than that though - I still am very happy with them and got on board this time with 9 shirts, 4 pants and 1 casual jacket. All in all - for me, very well spent money!

Condor 13-01-2011 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grantt (Post 52108865)
I'm back in Bangkok after quite a while actually and stopped by Crown again (my favorite tailors out of the listed above). I actually disagree with Condor on 2 things about Crown:

1. Variety - maybe you have not asked them to see their full range? I always get these crazy amount of books that they give to me to see everytime I am there. I don't think I ever see the same fabric twice!

2. Styling - they are always happy to help out what styling I want. I mean - I once took a shirt with a different collar, diferent inside, different cuff, different inside AND different sleeve placket and they still accomodated me! ( I know the shirt sounds ridiculous, but it wasn't as crazy as it sounds because the inside of the shirts were the shirt fabric itself! ).

Other than that though - I still am very happy with them and got on board this time with 9 shirts, 4 pants and 1 casual jacket. All in all - for me, very well spent money!

I know they have swatch booklets in addition to the displayed. What I mentioned was comparative. Crown has decent variety, but there are other tailors with more.

As for styling, they will accommodate, but compared to like Pinky or Tanika, they offer more advise. Not saying they are bad, but others are better in a sense.

Everyone have their own preference and perceive things/service differently. Just like I blacklist Rajawongse, there are others who continue to swear by them as they got good service from them.

iknerokaj 14-01-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Condor (Post 52125862)
I know they have swatch booklets in addition to the displayed. What I mentioned was comparative. Crown has decent variety, but there are other tailors with more.

As for styling, they will accommodate, but compared to like Pinky or Tanika, they offer more advise. Not saying they are bad, but others are better in a sense.

Everyone have their own preference and perceive things/service differently. Just like I blacklist Rajawongse, there are others who continue to swear by them as they got good service from them.

Hey condor :)
Do you have any tailors to recommend near baiyoke sky hotel? Currently staying here now :)

vaxvms 14-01-2011 11:30 AM

Agreed to Bro Condor, 1 man meat another man poison
tats why we can only suggest tailor base on personal experience
we have to experience ourself how good or bad is the tailor
I always find Narin is good maybe bcos I am in my own comfort zone and reluctant to try other
but this time round I will "risk" and try the cheaper boss ave....comparing boss 850b to narin 1500b shirt see wat the diff

Condor 14-01-2011 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iknerokaj (Post 52146294)
Hey condor :)
Do you have any tailors to recommend near baiyoke sky hotel? Currently staying here now :)

That area nothing that I'm aware of. The nearest would be Amari Watergate. Positive Internet reviews but no personal opinion.

babymagus 15-01-2011 01:43 AM

Are there any tailor that meet up to CYC standard in terms of workmanship and material @ value price?

Jordan Chang 18-01-2011 02:34 PM

haiz...i screwed up my own trip by missing my flight. had to re-book to a later flight and there wasn't enough time to collect the shirts before my return. first impressions, narin really knock my socks off. the guy was very professional and lay out his terms for you. min 3 shirts etc....he offered to mail the shirts back but i declined as i do not want to spend extra on my first shirts with him. maybe after some purchases, i will be more comfortable with that or even mail order. crown was smaller but equally professional. he insisted on a fitting and could get the shirts done before i fly...but it was a tight schedule to meet as well. all in, my mistake but i will definitely try narin on my next visit.

Klatzz 18-01-2011 06:45 PM

Hi Condor,

Like the previous post, I tailor at CYC, any comparison to Tanika, Crown and Pinky?

I hope to nail this, if not very disappointing....

Condor 18-01-2011 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Chang (Post 52275767)
haiz...i screwed up my own trip by missing my flight. had to re-book to a later flight and there wasn't enough time to collect the shirts before my return. first impressions, narin really knock my socks off. the guy was very professional and lay out his terms for you. min 3 shirts etc....he offered to mail the shirts back but i declined as i do not want to spend extra on my first shirts with him. maybe after some purchases, i will be more comfortable with that or even mail order. crown was smaller but equally professional. he insisted on a fitting and could get the shirts done before i fly...but it was a tight schedule to meet as well. all in, my mistake but i will definitely try narin on my next visit.

if you think of it another way, spend a little more and get to try to shirts. if they fit well, perfect. if not, you can bring back to alter next time round. regardless, you know the quality of their work.

Condor 18-01-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klatzz (Post 52283171)
Hi Condor,

Like the previous post, I tailor at CYC, any comparison to Tanika, Crown and Pinky?

I hope to nail this, if not very disappointing....

i've no experience with cyc or seen their products first hand. saw some photos but the cutting do not exactly appear outstanding but not fair to make comments like this also. then again, i wasn't exactly impressed with pinky when i saw their work on other people before i got into tailoring. it's probably how those people like their fit vs my own preference.

thought my pinky cutting was better (though i still have some gripes with the worksman technique). i like crown's technique but i probably need more tries to get the cutting that fits me better. tanika's worksmanship is fantastic, obviously better than crown and pink imo. cutting and styling need personal experience to tell.

i think a tailor other than the technique and worksmanship what is important is the cutting. how they can cut to your form. i give pinky high scores on this. they got my fit quickly (high accuracy even on first try) and the fit is good. i get good comments on my pinky pieces. my crown pieces i only got acknowledgement for the fabric choice/design but not exactly on how well the cutting fits me.

been quite busy lately, maybe next few days put on my shirts take photo and share to form own opinion.

babymagus 18-01-2011 11:52 PM

what is the cost of one shirt @ crown, pinky or rajawongse?

I am going in feb so don't want to screw up my first tailoring in Thailand

Condor 18-01-2011 11:52 PM

Ok, took a bit of time to very quickly put on a few shirts. Lighting is not good as not enough batt to turn on flash and using yellow light in the room.

My best fitting rack shirt (1 in a million - most other rack shirts even those "slim fit" fit very much worse to the extent of sloppy):
http://i52.tinypic.com/2yuzqcm.png

One of the first shirts that I made from Pinky (1000b range which I paid 800b for after discount):
http://i55.tinypic.com/71msg9.png

My Crown shirt (fitting was not good as I didn't manage to do a second fitting, but I took photos wearing the shirt and photoshopped bad fit areas and mailed back to Crown and this is what came back; better but still... Body not "bad" but could be better, collar spread is bad, sleeve length is bad - I would place it on how they cut the fabric, at least for how the collar "opens"):
http://i53.tinypic.com/2prxnc1.png

One of the first shirts from Boss:
http://i56.tinypic.com/2afg4mr.png

One of the latest shirt from Boss (the sleeve length is actually ok if I had pulled the cuff down - can see that it's worn higher in rush):
http://i55.tinypic.com/1z6cnes.png

Didn't put on my 2nd batch shirts from Pinky as cutting pretty standard just style changes.

Forgot to put on my Rajawongse shirt as I retired it tucked away somewhere as it got stained.

Not a show of workmanship (see one of my old post comparing the technique between Pinky and Crown or summary of my comparison of workmanship; new shirts from Boss is I would say good - better than the first batch and so far very happy although not worn yet) but rather to show the cutting/fitting.

Nearly all the shirts have the same style request (other than hidden button, cuff design) except for my latest Boss shirt using spread collar. I wear them the same way too (other than rack shirt which button 1 higher due to the way the style is cut). You can also see how the standard classic pointed collar also seems different for the different tailor. Didn't like the one Crown did for me. I think other than the cutting of the collar, a lot has to do with the material that they chose for the contrast collar - it does not hold shape well; if you iron the collar to have nice "smart" lines you probably know - this collar will not retain the line and become "rounded" so the collar simply "opens" up instead of forming round my neck, made worse when I button 1 less. So when I wear it the way I wear it, it don't look good.

My personal view is the Pinky shirt and the latest Boss shirt fitted me the best. BTW, I've worn this Pinky shirt the most (since cheapest) and it still stood up pretty well. The good fit is also why I forgave it for not using flat-fell technique and charging higher prices for same quality fabric.

Despite my "many" grouses about Crown, I do not think they're bad, just my own experience wasn't as good compared with other tailors (one of my first shirt from Boss would probably face more sh8t if not for the price difference that I forgave it for - 850b vs 1200b + ~S$14 postage for Crown alteration which I otherwise couldn't have even worn and wasted 2 shirts)

Condor 19-01-2011 12:41 AM

Just did a stock check.

6 l/s shirts, 1 pants, 3 s/s shirts from Pinky (2 trips)
8 shirts from Boss (2 trips)
2 shirts from Crown (1 trip)
1 shirt from Rajawongse (1 trip)

This is what my reviews are based on.

grantt 19-01-2011 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Condor (Post 52294035)
Ok, took a bit of time to very quickly put on a few shirts. Lighting is not good as not enough batt to turn on flash and using yellow light in the room.

My best fitting rack shirt (1 in a million - most other rack shirts even those "slim fit" fit very much worse to the extent of sloppy):
http://i52.tinypic.com/2yuzqcm.png

One of the first shirts that I made from Pinky (1000b range which I paid 800b for after discount):
http://i55.tinypic.com/71msg9.png

My Crown shirt (fitting was not good as I didn't manage to do a second fitting, but I took photos wearing the shirt and photoshopped bad fit areas and mailed back to Crown and this is what came back; better but still... Body not "bad" but could be better, collar spread is bad, sleeve length is bad - I would place it on how they cut the fabric, at least for how the collar "opens"):
http://i53.tinypic.com/2prxnc1.png

One of the first shirts from Boss:
http://i56.tinypic.com/2afg4mr.png

One of the latest shirt from Boss (the sleeve length is actually ok if I had pulled the cuff down - can see that it's worn higher in rush):
http://i55.tinypic.com/1z6cnes.png

Didn't put on my 2nd batch shirts from Pinky as cutting pretty standard just style changes.

Forgot to put on my Rajawongse shirt as I retired it tucked away somewhere as it got stained.

Not a show of workmanship (see one of my old post comparing the technique between Pinky and Crown or summary of my comparison of workmanship; new shirts from Boss is I would say good - better than the first batch and so far very happy although not worn yet) but rather to show the cutting/fitting.

Nearly all the shirts have the same style request (other than hidden button, cuff design) except for my latest Boss shirt using spread collar. I wear them the same way too (other than rack shirt which button 1 higher due to the way the style is cut). You can also see how the standard classic pointed collar also seems different for the different tailor. Didn't like the one Crown did for me. I think other than the cutting of the collar, a lot has to do with the material that they chose for the contrast collar - it does not hold shape well; if you iron the collar to have nice "smart" lines you probably know - this collar will not retain the line and become "rounded" so the collar simply "opens" up instead of forming round my neck, made worse when I button 1 less. So when I wear it the way I wear it, it don't look good.

My personal view is the Pinky shirt and the latest Boss shirt fitted me the best. BTW, I've worn this Pinky shirt the most (since cheapest) and it still stood up pretty well. The good fit is also why I forgave it for not using flat-fell technique and charging higher prices for same quality fabric.

Despite my "many" grouses about Crown, I do not think they're bad, just my own experience wasn't as good compared with other tailors (one of my first shirt from Boss would probably face more sh8t if not for the price difference that I forgave it for - 850b vs 1200b + ~S$14 postage for Crown alteration which I otherwise couldn't have even worn and wasted 2 shirts)

I think we can all see the difference actually in all shirts, but now that I read this properly, you had 2 fittings at Pinky and that is why the cutting looks the best out of all 3 shirts! Crown & Boss shirts seem to look similar here.

In essence, if you get the necessary fittings, everything should be turning out correct? If not, the tailors should be going out of business! They shouldn't be in the business in the first place!

I guess the same reason you mentioned above that you're happy is because they have your cut right now like Crown has got my cut right now and everything fits well and I don't have to get remeasured every time.

At least we've helped all the bro's select shops to pick from for their clothes :-). Thats the main point of this chat! We've narrowed it down to about 5 places bro's, so enjoy your shopping experience in Bangkok!