Any tailors in Bangkok to recommend?

drianist

Master Member
Reaction score
Did my Egyptian cotton in sg. But abit ex 78 per piece. Talior lai en

any users here who uses Egyptian cotton for daily wear?

am considering either Jhasper or Crown (they lose out in terms of price)

I have an old piece (ready-made bought from departmental store) which lasted 7-8yrs (one wear and wash per week), been trying to find something of similar quality without success

Went to Grand City 2 years back and show them this piece, they say it's Egyptian cotton and they don't have similar fabric. Their (supposedly better) wrinkle resistant fabric feels thinner and smoother, but extremely difficult to iron if not using steam iron.

Should be looking out for Egyptian cotton single ply, a bit hesitant to go with 2-ply given our generally humid and warm climate

freewilly5000

Reaction score
I tried a tailor in BKK - was good but same price as SG and about same result. I say stick to Ines in SG cos you can communicate easily

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
Tailoring is generally takes quite a bit of time to really find yourself one that works and is cost effective. I've been through about 10 tailors before settling on the kind of fit I like, the cut, the details (felled seams so I can roll up my sleeves and still look neat, collar with collar pockets so I can use magnetic collar stays, fused placket so that the collar doesn't droop, darts at the back to extend in case I gain weight etc.).

I used to do most of my tailoring in Singapore and KL and I prefer buying my own material. In fact you should check out Seng Heng Textiles in People's Park - its the one with the food market on the first level (I actually am slightly skeptical about releasing this info for fear that retail prices of their cotton will go up). It's in level 2 and run by an old uncle and aunty. They are wholesalers and supply the tailors locally. Very wide range of shirting material and a small range of poly material for pants. The material for a 2ply 80yarn pure cotton goes only at SGD12/meter. However, I suggest you wash this before bringing it to your tailor as it would shrink by a bit. I used to tailor these shirts at Vivo Seah Im Tailor (at the back of the seah im Food Court). Again the uncle does an ok job, but his shirts are sent to Batam and they are stitched there. The fit is pretty ok and the seams are felled (double stitched), but you can tell that they are not done properly and start to crumple after a few washes. It also lacks a few minor details that I don't really bother about since it is only about $40 for the tailoring. It takes about a week to 10days to be ready for collection.

In KL I've used Lord's because my boss recommended it and we went together. The work was very good but a little too pricey for me. So stopped after 4 visits.

I buy my pant and suit material in Jakarta (for those keen) at Surya Jaya Makmur in Pasar Baru. They have very good wool blends at a fraction of the cost!! I get 75% wool blends at $18/meter. Now before you find it too good to be true, these are not entire reams, but rather left over pieces from old stock, the tail end. But still you can occasionally get really really good finds there. Once I got a 3.5m Versace 70% Wool for less than 50SGD.

Now to Bangkok, I've heard some very good stuff about how tailoring is very cheap there and have seen a few suits for friends made for best men and groom at their weddings. The quality I saw wasn't too good compared to the tailor in KL, for example, the shoulders weren't really perfectly done and the chest piece wasn't nearly flowy enough. But decided to try my luck in BKK anyway.

Found a good tailor called Charlie's Design as they were coming to Singapore on a travelling tailor segment. Called them up and fixed an appointment. Its run by two very nice guys called Joe and Roger. Was skeptical at first and just wanted one shirt done, just to see how it would turn out. But looking at their prices, I went and did 3. They even took SGD and converted it at the Super Rich (one of the best exchange rates in Thailand) exchange rate. They also accept credit card.

Their selection of material was really good. And Joe was very honest in telling me which was a cotton blend and which was pure cotton. The fir turned out to be really amazing. I got felled seams (done with a proper machine) where they don't wrinkle after a few washes. I got Split Yoke (if you follow Gentleman's Gazette, you'd know its the mark of a quality shirt) - their split yoke on a check print I did was aligned perfectly. It shows their tailors pay attention. They even gave me gussets at the side at no charge. The fit was perfect and the tailoring stitches was really fine even on the insides. You can see the workmanship that goes into it (ask for the VIP service). Their prices are very very competitive. It makes more sense getting the material with them for the shirts. It cost me 1600Baht (66sgd) for a pure cotton 2 ply and 1200baht (50 sgd) for a poly blend. In Singapore it would cost me 18(material at SengHeng) + 42(stitching Seah Im) = 60SGD for a 2 ply 80yarn cotton. But the extra $6 I pay in BKK is way worth it for the very fine workmanship. Plus they have a very good selection of material too. In comparison, a 2ply 80yarn shirt at a Singapore tailor would cost you about $120. (Now you see why I prefer buying my own material beforehand if tailoring in Singapore). The work was done in less than a day. 2 days at most. Even if you're in BKK for a short stopover like I usually am with work, you can pick up the clothes a week later in Singapore.

Their suit and pants, while they have a really good range, the material cost is a little higher for me because I can get such good deals in Jakarta. If Jakarta was not an option, it is a really great deal though. Again no complaints on the fit. I gave them my fabric and they tailor the pants fantastic. I may have gotten a really good pricing on the tailoring (its way cheaper than Singapore), but that may be because I have made a few stuff with him already. So for pants they range between 1500-3000baht (depending on fabric and wool content). Tailoring is way less than that, but again please check with them first if they can take your material, as they do for me. Many tailors wont be able to accept the finer wool (90%) materials you buy from Jakarta, as the handling is a little different. But at Charlie's I did not have an issue.

The good news is, usually you get it right the first time with Charlie's Design. In Singapore it took me a few tries with different tailors to find the one I liked best. If you only have one tailor you can go to, take the risk with these guys. You won't be disappointed.

I haven't tried the other tailors mentioned on this forum, so I cant comment on them, but I feel that since I already found one that I liked with everything I could get in a shirt at a good price, Im sticking to them.

I'll be doing a couple of suits with them soon, Will update again on the workmanship and fit. The last visit, Joe told me they were bringing in shoes as well. Possibly comparable to the Oxfordable and Straits Establishment shoes in Singapore. They looked really good. Am waiting for more info.

Location wise, its opposite a restaurant called Long Table. If you grab there. Walking is a short 5-6 min walk from Terminal 21.

Hope this helps.

thanks for the very detailed review. will give it a try when i am there in future

AH CHIA

Reaction score
Hi. I’ve been using Paul Fashion at Amari for years. But recently had a lot of issues with them. Any bros have used both PF and Boss Ave, and able to share whether Boss Ave is better than PF - in terms of pricing and quality?

Tks!

I have and only used Paul Fashion for the past 5 years since into this tailoring hobby. My most recent visit to them was mid of this year, no issue so far. Care to share what are the issues that you faced?

whatme

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Been lurking around this thread before I decide to tailor my cloths at Bangkok.

Just came back yesterday from Bangkok, I went to The Suit Co (at platinium mall) to replicate my tailored shirt and pants. Day 1 Fabric Selection, Day 2 collection at 5pm.

1200 baht for shirt
1500 baht for pants

Nothing more expensive than that when I asked.

Since I had a short stay and do not like to travel multiple times, hence choosing them.

When you want cheap and fast, this is the way to go.
Overall is ok and satisfied.

fyeebiyd

Master Member
Reaction score
Bro do you use the faultless heavy or the faultless premium ? Currently using the Easy on ones, was thinking to change brand although its much more affordable!

How did they compensate u for shipping back btw ? My recent purchase wasnt as well done for the arm portion maybe wanna ship back and alter. So i assume they absorb both the to and fro cost of shipping ?

Your cotton price range for your shirts are the 1500 one ah ?

I don't know faultless got both heavy or premium. I am using the Regular Starch version. Heavy Starch made it too stiff.

Originally was going to pay me back via paypal but iirc, paypal you want to withdraw, need to pay a percentage and i rarely use paypal.

I usually go for cotton blend. Never really ask the price and so long total price no more than $7.5k baht for 3 shirts and 2 pants, i will just proceed.

FloatingBarb

Reaction score
Heading to BKK sometime near the end of the year. I am thinking of making some shirts. Thus far, it seems like Jesse and son's is very popular albeit a little pricier? I see Jhasper has decent reviews too.

Anyone with experience with the two able to share the pros and cons between the 2?

Also, are there any other recommended tailors?

Thanks in advance guys!

DOGGYCUP

Reaction score
Did from both. Different stuff tho.

J&S, got shirts from them. Excellent service albeit long waiting time, prices are also all-in. Includes “MOP” buttons, free monogram initials and IIRC, contrast lining (which I did not do).

Did not do shirts from Jhasper but my friend did some shirts. Prices may seem cheaper initially but that’s for the basic shirt without customisation. Buttons, initials and contrast all cost extra. After extra, cost about the same.

Can’t comment on the fit of shirts for Jhasper but they are professional, friendly and no nonsense. Will not hard sell you.

J&S fit belong to slightly slimmer/skinny cut.
Slightly more fabrics to choose from
Free drinks while waiting even alcohol (!)
Easier for beginners as they have a book which explains every parts of the shirt that allows for customisation.

All in all, both are worth trying out.

Heading to BKK sometime near the end of the year. I am thinking of making some shirts. Thus far, it seems like Jesse and son's is very popular albeit a little pricier? I see Jhasper has decent reviews too.

Anyone with experience with the two able to share the pros and cons between the 2?

Thanks in advance guys!

Elysium87

Reaction score

Thanks in advance guys!

i dont know about jhasper, but jesse and son is confirm good, although a bit exp, i get my shirt and pants from them.

farrhannyong

Reaction score
hey guys, am going to Bangkok this 4th to 7th Sep. sufficient to do a suit or just a coat?

i dont have one and have been surviving on G2000 shirts and pants. want to make my first outerwear.

jt2901

Reaction score
hey guys, am going to Bangkok this 4th to 7th Sep. sufficient to do a suit or just a coat?

i dont have one and have been surviving on G2000 shirts and pants. want to make my first outerwear.

4 sep over Liao leh... October so bo

fyeebiyd

Master Member
Reaction score
i dont know about jhasper, but jesse and son is confirm good, although a bit exp, i get my shirt and pants from them.

YMMV bah. my 2nd experience with them for the pants is not so good. The pants I made the first round which I felt was good fitting and I wore it to their shop to ask them can follow that or not, they said I put on weight, need to change.

End up the 2nd set of pants now looks like "Ronald McDonald/MC Hammer" pants. I might give them 1 more chance to do pants the next time I go but that will be the last chance as the price is not that big of a difference from doing it locally at those neighbourhood shop or this shop I frequent at Lucky Plaza called Santana.

Shirt wise, they are value for money. However, I might consider buying my own fabrics to get them to do the work as their fabrics choice not really my type.

Depending on what time you land and what time you leaving. Honestly, best if you have 5 weekdays because what I experienced with Boss Avenue is:

Day 1 - Measurements and choose fabrics (I usually is quite fast because I know what I want and I don't spend a lot of time pondering about the fabrics. Some folks I bumped into can spend 1 to 2 hours being indecisive about their fabrics choice and customization)

Day 2 or 3 - First fitting. Don't know the right term but at this stage, they provide like the base "structure" of the suit to fit and make adjustment. so it is essentially like a "vest" drape over you.

Day 5 - everything is ready by then for you to really try on. Best if you got your shoes, shirt and belt to complete the overall look and see. If all is well, take the suit that day. If need alteration, take it the next day. This day the appointment is in the morning or early afternoon so that got enough time to complete everything by Day 6 latest or even on that day itself if it is minor adjustments.

4 sep over Liao leh... October so bo

maybe next year. :s13::s13:

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how fast does Jesse & Sons tailor pants? arriving on a friday morning and leaving monday afternoon. how much is their price now?

the last i read it starts from 2,000 baht which is cheaper than pinky tailor. hence, thought of giving Jesse a try if they can complete within this time frame.

pinky a bit steep for pants at 2,500 baht up but they can complete by the 3rd working day.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.