www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Thailand (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/thailand-279/)
-   -   Any tailors in Bangkok to recommend? (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/thailand-279/any-tailors-bangkok-recommend-2480253.html)

xXboxXx 24-09-2009 11:01 AM

Oh Rajawongse.. I pass by it too, but never walk in.

grantt 24-09-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXboxXx (Post 40453434)
Guys.. I am back !

I tailored 2 from Crown and 3 from Paul fashion.

Crown Tailor
Crown is located very near Nana station.
Indeed, their service is really quality and the guy serving me is a small sized indian who is very soft spoken. I reached there on sat afternoon around 2pm, and I was surprised to find that I am the only customer in the shop. Ok.. here comes the funny part. When I was browsing the different fabrics available, I asked him whats the best price he can give me if I tailor 2 shirts, he quoted me 1500 thai baht(sgd 63) per shirt.. I continued browsing and he himself drop the price down to 1300 thai baht... I continued with my selection and while I was telling him which fabric I would like to have, he drop the price further down to 1200 thai baht. I chose 2 fabric and after measuring me, I suddenly realised that I forgot to bargain and he was the one who keep dropping the price... But hor.. I am damn inexperienced in bargaining, so I started out small with a 50 thai baht reduction in price..with the final price at 1150 thai baht(sgd48) per shirt. I am pretty sure if I continue to bargain, the price can be further slashed.. but my skill is at newbie level, so I need to practise bargaining more often.. :(

Overall, I would say the fitting is good, but can be better. However, this is not their fault as I did not go for fitting at all. Even on the day of collection, they offered to amend for me to become even slimmer fit and post it to Singapore for me. As I did not want to go through the trouble, I rejected their offer.

Crown Tailor actually record their client's measurement and they do international shipping. I saw that they have multiple boxes of shirts placed at the entrance for shipping. For shipping to Singapore, it takes at least 15 days from the time you confirm the fabric you want to the day it arrives in Singapore. I did ask him how much is the shipping costs, but I forgot its 50 or 500 thai baht :s11:

As I just touched down last night, the shirt are still packed in my baggage. After washing and ironing, I will post pic for all to see. ;)

Next up.. Paul Fashion..

Haha, glad to hear you had a good time at Crown's! Did you meet the old guy or the young guy? I like dealing with the young guy better. Does seem to have quite a good sense of humour and good sense of fashion too! Did you try the linings in your collar & cuff?

xXboxXx 24-09-2009 02:05 PM

I saw both the old and young guy. When I reach there, the old one was on the phone and when he was done, he mostly look at my measurement and gave instructions to the younger man in thai. I did not really talk much to him.

The young guy was nice and polite.

punkster 25-09-2009 12:28 PM

any good recommendations near pratunam area?

will probably be staying at samran hotel, so nearer to it the better, easier to go for fitting :s13:

le_mon 25-09-2009 03:50 PM

i also staying samran, will be gg off tonight. heard that asia hotel gt a tailor.

RustyNail 29-09-2009 01:28 AM

do the tailors in bkk do chambray shirts too?

dingdingdangdang 30-09-2009 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dingdingdangdang (Post 40472092)
wow~ 6shirts @ 5000baht!!! that's value for $$$.. will try when i'm there:D

greetings... just back from bkk! in fact the boss for this excelsior tailor has at least 2 other tailor shops in the same area under different names. i went to saville fashion at rose hotel and was given the same price. 5000baht for 6 shirts. service is good and friendly. it's a 'can try' tailor shop.

Gaara1983 30-09-2009 09:24 PM

just came back from thailand...

http://www.theempiretailors.com/

power tailor.. good attention to details, take time to measure your body.
the standard of the clothes (designs etc) on the website is what you get in real.

will definitely visit empire tailor to tailor again..
For shirts, Egyptian cotton 1250 baht, Italian Fabric ard 2000 baht
For pants, Egyptian cotton ard 2000 baht, Italian Fabric never asked... hahas

definetely for pple that wants to dress up stylish, trendy. ROCKS and i dont find it expensive, compared to singapore or considering its workmanship, designs =)

grantt 03-10-2009 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaara1983 (Post 40664922)
just came back from thailand...

http://www.theempiretailors.com/

power tailor.. good attention to details, take time to measure your body.
the standard of the clothes (designs etc) on the website is what you get in real.

will definitely visit empire tailor to tailor again..
For shirts, Egyptian cotton 1250 baht, Italian Fabric ard 2000 baht
For pants, Egyptian cotton ard 2000 baht, Italian Fabric never asked... hahas

definetely for pple that wants to dress up stylish, trendy. ROCKS and i dont find it expensive, compared to singapore or considering its workmanship, designs =)

shirts for 2000 baht is quite expensive i think!!! thats wayyy too much! how many do you have to pay to get a discount?

care5bear 17-10-2009 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dingdingdangdang (Post 40660674)
greetings... just back from bkk! in fact the boss for this excelsior tailor has at least 2 other tailor shops in the same area under different names. i went to saville fashion at rose hotel and was given the same price. 5000baht for 6 shirts. service is good and friendly. it's a 'can try' tailor shop.

can share where are they located and also.. do they do ladies?? :D

heading BKK during nov..tinking of doing it too :P

bing_swg 18-10-2009 11:11 AM

Hi peeps, how long does it take for them to make, cos i will only be going for a short 4 days trip, is it sufficient?

great22 21-10-2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bing_swg (Post 41067164)
Hi peeps, how long does it take for them to make, cos i will only be going for a short 4 days trip, is it sufficient?

Four days should be more than sufficient. I went to Crown's Tailor (as highly recommended by our forum members here) on last Thursday afternoon to made 6 shirts, 1 blazer and 2 pair of trousers. And I am able to try one set of fittings on Friday afternoon, and all of them were done when I am there to try the final round of fittings on Saturday evening. These were been done within 3 days only! So I would advise you to go to the tailor shop in your first day in bangkok, and make yourself available on the next day to try the fittings.

Condor 22-10-2009 03:11 AM

I came to BKK with the original intention of tailoring 2 pants and 3-4 shirts from Pinky, Rajawongse, and Nickerman based on the largely positive reviews that I've read. By spreading my needs across the different tailors, I can judge for myself which is better (or suitable for me). Now, a bit of sharing of my maiden tailoring experience.

I went Pinky first and was greeted by a very courteous Thai. I made a 1500b shirt (Egyption cotton), a 1500b pants, and another patterned shortshirt sleeve shirt for 1200b. Not sure what material the SS is but it's not 100% cotton. The guy mentioned some name and then say it's anti-wrinkle. He was very polite and accompanied me through the 3 storeys while I looked at the fabrics and giving me a quick intro to what I was looking at.

He was very meticulous when taking my measurements, for most of the measurements, he actually asked me how I prefer the fit and cut, what watch I wear, etc. and then he adjusted accordingly, and sometimes giving comments on what is the trend/preferred cut. For the shirt, he took probably like 10 different measurements. He was also quite happy to ask me to return the following day for a fitting. I should also mention that he asked and showed me samples on the various types of collar and cuff.

Oh, he also mentioned that he can give me a small discount if I made 5 pairs but I didn't. Nonetheless, he said he is not charging me the typical 100b for the different coloured collar and cuff. Before I left, he also said I can still order more after fitting the next day should I like it and he would give me some discount.

I then headed to Rajawongse where perhaps unfortunately was sort of lunch time, the 2 Indian bosses continued taking their time to eat and ignoring me while I was left to my own to browse the fabric. When the younger Indian finished, he advanced to the front of the store where I was but instead of coming to me, sat down at the "work desk" and did his own stuff.

As I have identified my target fabric, I went up to him asking about the type and pricing of the fabric. I then confirmed my order and he started taking my measurements. He was very quick about it and took like maybe 5 measurements (waist, chest, shoulder, arm, back)? Other than asking if I wanted a slim cutting, there was not other elaborations. He also did not say anything until I asked him if I should return for a fitting. He was not really enthusiastic about the fitting session saying if I like the next evening it shall be Feeling sort of not being acknowledged much, I left without looking at more fabrics for more shirts and pants. BTW, the price is cheaper than Pink @ 1000b for Egyptian cotton.

I then proceeded to Nickerman but didn't really see any fabric that I fancied. The lady boss was quite service oriented and was eager to please telling me about their focus on the design to bring out the garment as I said that I wanted something different to the common solid/stripe fabrics. She of course could not let go without telling me about the latest casual wear trend for asymmetric pockets and showing me a magazine page that one of her customer brought for reference and replicating. Anyway, left the store without placing an order.

While stuck waiting for the rain to stop, I chanced upon Raja just behind me. Recalling that this should be the father's or the "original" of the Raja-family-affiliate, I went in for a look. Again, nothing really caught my eye although the Rajawongse experience perhaps increased my reservations a bit.

Anyway, this sort of ends my first day as far as tailoring is concerned.

Condor 22-10-2009 03:12 AM

So today, I returned to Pinky for my first fitting. As my shirt was brought out, I was like "wow". I liked what I saw, especially the really nice and completing thread colour chosen for the button eyelets. Putting it on, I was pretty happy with it. I liked the fit. It really gave me the tailored-for-me feel. Despite that, there were a few minor alterations necessary to correct some of the less fitting areas. I should also mention that I am also rather pleased with the pants and the short sleeve shirt, both of which needed lesser alterations. Perhaps my only grouse at this point is that the collar and sleeve material of my long sleeve is quite coarse and I believe not "100% cotton" like the rest of the shirt.

Riding on my satisfaction, I went upstairs and chose fabrics for more orders. As I was contemplating on a fabric for another short sleeve, a young lad commented its suitability for a SS which coincides with intention. He then picked another fabric and recommended that to me which unfortunately when I finally decided on it, there wasn't enough cloth left so I ended up with my initial choice.

Cutting the story short, I placed an additional SS @ 1200b, and another long @ 800b which is blended (cotten/polyester mix). When I asked for a discount from the the original guy who served me the day before, he was a little apprenhensive saying again that he's not charging me for the different colour for the collar and cuff for this new piece. Nonetheless, I succeeded in another 200b reduction eventually using rounding my total to 6000b as the basis.

Tomorrow evening is my pickup day and my hopes are high. I hope all the pieces fit good without needing to alter.

Now for Rajawongse. I was early for my fitting. 4pm instead of the 7pm just to check since I'm in the area anyway. Not ready and not really giving me much care so I walked the streatch of Sukhumvit to pass the time. Fast forward to fitting time. The shirt fitted generally ok but somehow it didn't give me the tailored-for-me feeling that I got from Pinky. There were fewer places that I wanted altering though. Something like fitted better but not as good?

Some of the issues that I brought up was like brushed off quite easily as "it's ok, it's not really a problem" kind of thing. Only after a couple of iterations that it was noted to be altered. Not really what I expected for service. BTW, it was the older Indian who attended to my fitting this time.

I am now left wondering if was it because I only ordered 1 shirt and is a small time customer or that I'm not a Caucasian and hence a small time customer deserving little personal service and attention. While I'm "ok" with the Rajawongse fit, I very much preferred the alterations since this is a tailoring service. Hopefully the alterations turn out fine tomorrow.

Condor 22-10-2009 03:40 AM

Since I didn't really achieve my inital target both in number of pieces and variety of tailors, I continued my research.

I am quite pleased with the service given by Empire (beside Rajawongse) and they do have a decent selection of fabric so I will probably give it a try the next round.

Moonriver while priced more (100% cotton @ 2000b) seems quite well recommended and they offered putting personal initials to the pocket/cuffs. Downside is the fabric selection is quite limited but may try.

Crown is more expensive (Italian 100% cotton if I remember correctly is 2500b; 2 grades of blend 1200b/1000b) but is very happy to do any kind of customisations/requests.

The other 2 tailors with good reviews (more so than Rajawongse and Pinky) are Narin Couture and Milan Suits so I will probably give them a visit and perhaps patronise next time as well.

Anyway, according to a number of (caucasian) people, Rajawongse is better Pinky in terms of quality and pricing. While I do agree on the pricing, the quality and service do not apply for me. Oh, I didn't mention that I didn't quite like the feel of the collar and cuff used by Rajawongse. The cuff is way too stiff for my liking and the collar seems to have ai cardboard-like inner layer. Perhaps I should have asked them if I could have changed the cuff to something softer earlier. Sigh... Speaking of cuff, as this pair is not french cuffs like my Pinky pair, I noted that there is a button eyelet where the button is sewn. What I meant is usually the button is on one end and the opposite end has the eyelet to button up. Rajawongse made mine such that both ends have the eyelet, and one has the button sewn just at the edge of the eyelet. Wonder why so?

I'm also not too certain if all Egyptian cottons are equal. According to Moonriver, Egyption cottons are not necessary 100% cotton, which may be why I saw another range of 1800b 100% cotton @ Pinky's that is not identified as Italian (2000b) or Egyption. If that's so, then the Egyptian cotton used by Rajawongse is perhaps not 100% cotten as well? Moonriver said that the Italian cottons are 100% cotton. Not sure this is across the board for all tailors or for their shop only.

The occasion that I stepped into another random tailor (Boss Avenue) that I've not read about I got a quote of 850b for Egyptian cotton. Either Egyptian cottons are not all equal and not 100% cotton, or blend is being passed off as Egyptian cotton, I like their available alternative fabrics for inner collar layer and that they offer/recommend it as a style for contrasting. Not sure if Pinky/Rajawongse would do it? I took a quick look at the touted workmanship of double stiching, etc. of a sample shirt and I did not get the impression that it is of high quality but I've not taken a close look at Pinky and Rajawongse during my fitting to compare. But at that price, I would consider making a couple for daly wear the next time.