HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Any tailors in Bangkok to recommend?

Like Tree197Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #46

the last time i went to Rajawongs, they didn't reallie serve me guess they prefer ang mo customers but i reallie feel their selection was quite small and nothing caught my fancy.

i then try another recommanded shop raja's fashion also near nana, the fit was okie but i feel that the material cant pass the wash test after a few washs , all wringle up.

Going next year feb. and now looking for recommended tailors.

My fren recommanded me 1 tailor at mbk heard quite popular with singaporeans.
650 baht for a shirt.

any bro noe any recommandation for ladies suit in bangkok?
kanashii23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #47

go james fashion

I read online that james fashion is quite bad. dunno whether the one u refering to the same as wat ppl are saying online
kanashii23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 12:48 AM   #48

Condor..seems like you had quite the adventure indeed! Hope it was fun and fruitful :-).

I personally still prefer Crown's over most other tailors, just for their attention to slight details, quality and desire to make me feel like a "very valued" customer in the store, and I really do enjoy the chit chat & attention to detail while I'm at it (cut, lining fabric, fitting etc etc). I get what you mean by Rajawongse and have heard that they are more targeted towards caucasian..you're definitely not the first to mention this! Go back in the forums and see!!

Regarding Egyptian cottons, I've spoken to the guy at Crown about this before and he has promised me that there is no way you can get Egyptian cotton under 1000 Baht..it just can't be. It is like the suits and how it says "cashmere." What you "could" get is just a near 100% cotton fabric and a burn test will solve all your problem to know the fabric! And I did get myself 100% cotton shirt for around 1400 or less! I still remember they have cheaper grades of fabric too, but I didn't like!

At least thanks to your review, we have narrowed down some good tailors to the better tailors to visit and I'm glad to know I chose the right store !!!

Good luck tailoring everyone!
grantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 01:47 AM   #49
Master Member

Condor..seems like you had quite the adventure indeed! Hope it was fun and fruitful :-).

I personally still prefer Crown's over most other tailors, just for their attention to slight details, quality and desire to make me feel like a "very valued" customer in the store, and I really do enjoy the chit chat & attention to detail while I'm at it (cut, lining fabric, fitting etc etc). I get what you mean by Rajawongse and have heard that they are more targeted towards caucasian..you're definitely not the first to mention this! Go back in the forums and see!!

Regarding Egyptian cottons, I've spoken to the guy at Crown about this before and he has promised me that there is no way you can get Egyptian cotton under 1000 Baht..it just can't be. It is like the suits and how it says "cashmere." What you "could" get is just a near 100% cotton fabric and a burn test will solve all your problem to know the fabric! And I did get myself 100% cotton shirt for around 1400 or less! I still remember they have cheaper grades of fabric too, but I didn't like!

At least thanks to your review, we have narrowed down some good tailors to the better tailors to visit and I'm glad to know I chose the right store !!!

Good luck tailoring everyone!
Sigh... Picked up my stuff today. Long story short. Rajawongse spoilt my mood yet again. When I was there, my shirt had not been delivered so fast forward to waiting in the store for my shirt to arrive. When it did, they allowed another customer, no prize for the guessing that he's a caucasian, who arrived after me to use the fitting room to do fitting for his suit.

What's worse to come, the older Indian asked me to go to the toilet to fit my shirt! Weighing my options I went to fit the shirt just to make sure that it's acceptable and to get the hell out of Rajawongse. Well, one of the alteration either wasn't attended to or I just could not see the difference. Nevermind, the shirt looks good, the fitting is ok, so end the saga I shall.

I headed to the younger Indian to make the remainder payment but he's content chatting with another caucasian (surprise surprise) so I just waited while in my mind I really thought about walking out without paying. Pissed off with the service. I can sit in the store for ages when there's no other customer and no one came attending to me but can shower another caucasian with attention when...

While I think I should be happy with the shirt but I'm sure it's not unique to Rajawongse. I believe another tailor can do the same with the same fabric. I doubt I will be giving anymore business to them.

No doubt it's a single shirt business this time but if not for the bad service I'm quite sure I will re-use them if I see a suitable fabric next time. Now, sorry. Rajawongse is in my blacklist now.

Anyway, in between I also saw Narin Couture. The guy for a change is of Chinese descent unlike other stores largely operated by Indians. The guy was very smartly dressed with tie and all. I had a mental note of the store yesterday when I was walking the area due to the well dressed man and the very different feel given by the shopfront but I didn't check out the name then.

Walked in for a quick query. Things don't come cheap. Blended shirts go for 1100b and 100% pure cotton of various origins starts from 1950b. However, I'm quite sure if you see the shopfront and the guy you'd have some positive confidence in the end product. If the shirt he's wearing is anything to go by, it'll be nothing but praises.

Now I'm homebound tomorrow evening but if I'm coming to BKK again, I'll probably try out Narin, Crown, Empire, Moon River, and Nickerman in that order for a couple of quality shirts. I should also be giving Boss Avenue a try for a couple of daily wear shirts.

Perhaps if anyone has experience with anoy of those and Pinky/Rajawongse can give a comparison review?

Last edited by Condor; 23-10-2009 at 02:34 AM..
Condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #50

Sigh... Picked up my stuff today. Long story short. Rajawongse spoilt my mood yet again. When I was there, my shirt had not been delivered so fast forward to waiting in the store for my shirt to arrive. When it did, they allowed another customer, no prize for the guessing that he's a caucasian, who arrived after me to use the fitting room to do fitting for his suit......................................

Hi Condor, thanks a lot for your detailed review on the different tailors. I myself will be going to Bangkok and will want to tailor a few shirts and pants or a full suit.
I was thinking of trying Rajawongse before, but after reading your review, I changed my mind.
Just wondering, among the other tailors that u had gone to, which do you think is the best? I'm abit not sure which to go to. Heard Crown is good, but abit pricey. Thinking of Pinky...
Any advice?
aHRoy1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #51

the last time i went to Rajawongs, they didn't reallie serve me guess they prefer ang mo customers but i reallie feel their selection was quite small and nothing caught my fancy.

i then try another recommanded shop raja's fashion also near nana, the fit was okie but i feel that the material cant pass the wash test after a few washs , all wringle up.

Going next year feb. and now looking for recommended tailors.

My fren recommanded me 1 tailor at mbk heard quite popular with singaporeans.
650 baht for a shirt.

any bro noe any recommandation for ladies suit in bangkok?

Which tailor @ MBk? Name of the shop? 650bahts not bad... any idea on how the quality and workmanship?
kley83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #52

can share where are they located and also.. do they do ladies??

heading BKK during nov..tinking of doing it too

it's savile row fashion at rose hotel which is near patpong. they do ladies too but it' more ex. check out their webby - www.savilerowfashion.biz

or

excelsior fashion which is nearby, webby - www.excelsuits.com

both under same management.

hope the info helps.

cheers
dingdingdangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #53
Supremacy Member

some PDF ebooks of Vietnam, HK, Taiwan, Japan, and others...including Thailand

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=b...c99885da44e881

http://www.feed2all.eu/type/football.html
jokerpoker81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2009, 11:29 PM   #54
d3n
High Supremacy Member

i had done quite a num of washes for my shirt from Pinky since my early sept trip and its still as good as new!

if any bros here work ard raffles city area, we can meet up i show you the shirt i am wearing lolz but lunch on u :p
Old 24-10-2009, 02:20 AM   #55
Master Member

Hi Condor, thanks a lot for your detailed review on the different tailors. I myself will be going to Bangkok and will want to tailor a few shirts and pants or a full suit.
I was thinking of trying Rajawongse before, but after reading your review, I changed my mind.
Just wondering, among the other tailors that u had gone to, which do you think is the best? I'm abit not sure which to go to. Heard Crown is good, but abit pricey. Thinking of Pinky...
Any advice?
I've only bought from Rajawongse and Pinky this time, and it's my first time. Am I glad that I went Pinky first for a positive tailoring experience (in terms of service).

Pinky has a range of fabrics to cater to a lot of budget. For pants (not suit pants), it's 1500b flat.

For shirts:
1st floor: 1500b/1800b Egyptian cotton, 2000b Italian cotton
2nd floor: 1200b 100% cotton, 1800b high quality cotton
3rd floor: 800b blended, 1200b patterns

My first fitting I pointed out that I wanted the back where the shoulder blades are to be more fitting (there's a little "air-pocket" when I stretch my arms forwards). This was one of the item noted for refinement. When I collected, it became a little tight (could feel the tug) when I cross both arms with the elbows nearly crossing each other.

Not a big issue, they just need to refine the tapering (I wanted a slim cut and more tapered downwards to the waist). Nevertheless, I took the shirts since there's not enough time to alter again. However, he said that I can always bring it back to alter next time anyway. This was offered/told by him automatically with me asking.

Comparing against the Rajawongse shirt, I felt that Pinky's is more customised and really tailored according to my body (hence got more little problems due to either "imperfections" standing out or less tolerance for inconformity in tighter fitting). Rajawongse's is more of a "general good fit based on a looser template/measurements". Not to say that Rajawongse's piece is not good. It's pretty decent but just that it gives me the feeling that it's a very fitting rack shirt instead of a tailored compared to Pinky's.

There're also some characteristics differences between the 2 styles and perhaps I might like Rajawongse's more after wearing a few times (who knows?) but... Maybe you get different mileage with them?

I also noticed that the white collar used by Rajawongse is not as white as the one used by Pinky. Not trying to find fault but it was just apparent when I was packing earlier this morning. It's not exactly that Pinky's white collar is that white. I think if I put my G2K Black Label white shirt against it the G2K might be whiter too.

As far as comfort (of material) goes, I can only comment after wearing a few times of each. Then again, my Egyptian cotton Pinky shirt costs 50% more so it's not a fair comparison even if Pinky wins. Not sure also if there're differences to the Egyptian cottons or just a premium for different shops?

As for the testament to wear and tear and against time and washing, I also cannot comment at this time.

I don't know your budget or how many shirts you intend to tailor, but unless you're coming from a apples-apples comparison angle, I suggest that using similar price range as the basis (value-for-money angle), head over to the following tailors and make 1-2 shirts (from each shop) if you spot any fabric that you like:

1. Narin Couture (very positive reviews; came in tops from my research)
2. Crown's (mostly good reviews; perhaps no/little bad comments as well)
3. Moon River (relatively good reviews)
4. Empire (not many reviews but for the few reviews, it's quite decent and my service experience with them put them in my list)
5. Pinky (mostly good reviews but with a small handful of negative comments as well; my personal experience is good on the service side, product side need time to tell)
6. Nickerman (a number of good reviews as well)

I believe unless you're looking for pure solids for all your shirts, you probably won't be able to tailor a shirt from each shop. This is also why I want to spread my selection to maybe 3-4 preferred tailors so that I can have a bigger selection.

Just recalled that I didn't share any comments for the pants. Somehow for me, it's a really simple affair. Not many specifications, not much alterations or expectations really. What I requested to alter is just the "sitting" of the pants i.e. to wear it higher. All I can say is during the measurements and fitting the guy (not Pinky but the other "main staff") provided all the triggers for the inputs. He asked me the feeling if I am sitting down; is it too tight/uncomfortable, etc. He then say if it's ok, he can alter it to fit me better to bring out the shape (of my ass). When I took the pants back to my hotel, I had 1 more fitting to take it further - squatting. It was alright. The crotch wasn't too tight, did not give me the feeling that the pants will split. The thighs at this point has no more slack space. It was all filled up. Very good fit. I believe I will feel quite comfortable in this pair of pants.

Generally speaking, I probably cannot afford to change my physique too much for Pinky's tailoring, perhaps this is due to my asking for a slim fit.
Old 24-10-2009, 02:34 AM   #56
Master Member

Some reviews about Narin:

"Bangkok – Narin Couture – I can’t say enough about the owner, Peter. He’s a Chinese Thai who overseas all of the cutting in his shop, is Zegna certified, French educated, and has family in the business working in Milan and has connections on Savile Row. Expect to spend at least $500(or $5000 if you fancy), but he is the best I’ve ever seen outside of London. I don’t have his address handy, but Sukhumvit Rd under the sky-train station between Soi 8 and Soi 10."

"About 99% of the tailor shops in Thailand are "measurers," not tailors. The clothes you order are actually sewn in off-premise central sweat shops. But there are a few real tailors in Bangkok. One is Narin Couture on Sukhumvit Road 180, between Soi 8 and Soi 10 (it's closer to Soi 10). The owner, Peter, is Chinese Thai and has European training (worked in Paris before). He is a Zegna-certified tailor and all his stuff is sewn on the premises under his supervision. Becoming a Zegna-certified tailor is very difficult, sort of like winning a gold medal in the Olympics. Farang diplomats and business execs, as well as high-powered Thais, use his services.

The best fabrics in the world come from Italy - Ermenegildo Zegna or Loro Piana - and Peter does suits in both. They aren't cheap, expect to pay a minimum of $700 for a suit from Narin, but it is top quality fabric and tailoring and would cost at least US$2,000 in North America. He requires a minimum (that's minimum) of three fittings (he'll want five for a Zegna suit) and it takes 4-5 days to finish, assuming he has the fabric on hand."

Impressive credentials and I like his ethics setting a high minimum service standards in terms of the fittings. He's also not pushy in the very least when I was in the store. In fact, he didn't do any selling at all. I asked he answered and didn't come as if he wants my business (in a very positive way I'm meaning it). Walk a few stores and you'll know when most others will push for you to buy with package deals, etc. Narin just don't bother to. Perhaps he's got the integrity of a real (proud) tailor that believes that with skills you don't need too much of the mouth.
Old 24-10-2009, 03:12 AM   #57

I've only bought from Rajawongse and Pinky this time, and it's my first time. Am I glad that I went Pinky first for a positive tailoring experience (in terms of service).

Pinky has a range of fabrics to cater to a lot of budget. For pants (not suit pants), it's 1500b flat.

For shirts:
1st floor: 1500b/1800b Egyptian cotton, 2000b Italian cotton
2nd floor: 1200b 100% cotton, 1800b high quality cotton
3rd floor: 800b blended, 1200b patterns

My first fitting I pointed out that I wanted the back where the shoulder blades are to be more fitting (there's a little "air-pocket" when I stretch my arms forwards). This was one of the item noted for refinement. When I collected, it became a little tight (could feel the tug) when I cross both arms with the elbows nearly crossing each other.

Not a big issue, they just need to refine the tapering (I wanted a slim cut and more tapered downwards to the waist). Nevertheless, I took the shirts since there's not enough time to alter again. However, he said that I can always bring it back to alter next time anyway. This was offered/told by him automatically with me asking.

Comparing against the Rajawongse shirt, I felt that Pinky's is more customised and really tailored according to my body (hence got more little problems due to either "imperfections" standing out or less tolerance for inconformity in tighter fitting). Rajawongse's is more of a "general good fit based on a looser template/measurements". Not to say that Rajawongse's piece is not good. It's pretty decent but just that it gives me the feeling that it's a very fitting rack shirt instead of a tailored compared to Pinky's.

There're also some characteristics differences between the 2 styles and perhaps I might like Rajawongse's more after wearing a few times (who knows?) but... Maybe you get different mileage with them?

I also noticed that the white collar used by Rajawongse is not as white as the one used by Pinky. Not trying to find fault but it was just apparent when I was packing earlier this morning. It's not exactly that Pinky's white collar is that white. I think if I put my G2K Black Label white shirt against it the G2K might be whiter too.

As far as comfort (of material) goes, I can only comment after wearing a few times of each. Then again, my Egyptian cotton Pinky shirt costs 50% more so it's not a fair comparison even if Pinky wins. Not sure also if there're differences to the Egyptian cottons or just a premium for different shops?

As for the testament to wear and tear and against time and washing, I also cannot comment at this time.

I don't know your budget or how many shirts you intend to tailor, but unless you're coming from a apples-apples comparison angle, I suggest that using similar price range as the basis (value-for-money angle), head over to the following tailors and make 1-2 shirts (from each shop) if you spot any fabric that you like:

1. Narin Couture (very positive reviews; came in tops from my research)
2. Crown's (mostly good reviews; perhaps no/little bad comments as well)
3. Moon River (relatively good reviews)
4. Empire (not many reviews but for the few reviews, it's quite decent and my service experience with them put them in my list)
5. Pinky (mostly good reviews but with a small handful of negative comments as well; my personal experience is good on the service side, product side need time to tell)
6. Nickerman (a number of good reviews as well)

I believe unless you're looking for pure solids for all your shirts, you probably won't be able to tailor a shirt from each shop. This is also why I want to spread my selection to maybe 3-4 preferred tailors so that I can have a bigger selection.

Just recalled that I didn't share any comments for the pants. Somehow for me, it's a really simple affair. Not many specifications, not much alterations or expectations really. What I requested to alter is just the "sitting" of the pants i.e. to wear it higher. All I can say is during the measurements and fitting the guy (not Pinky but the other "main staff") provided all the triggers for the inputs. He asked me the feeling if I am sitting down; is it too tight/uncomfortable, etc. He then say if it's ok, he can alter it to fit me better to bring out the shape (of my ass). When I took the pants back to my hotel, I had 1 more fitting to take it further - squatting. It was alright. The crotch wasn't too tight, did not give me the feeling that the pants will split. The thighs at this point has no more slack space. It was all filled up. Very good fit. I believe I will feel quite comfortable in this pair of pants.

Generally speaking, I probably cannot afford to change my physique too much for Pinky's tailoring, perhaps this is due to my asking for a slim fit.
Coming back to what condor mentioned in regards to recommended tailors:
1. Narin Couture (very positive reviews; came in tops from my research) - sounds excellent, but maybe a little over priced for most of our budgets? Although if you got a fat pocket, you might want to give a shirt a try.
2. Crown's (mostly good reviews; perhaps no/little bad comments as well) - my personal happiest tailoring comes at this place. Won't go anywhere else.
3. Moon River (relatively good reviews) - Was about to give them a try until I looked up tripadvisor and found relatively weird comments about them!
4. Empire (not many reviews but for the few reviews, it's quite decent and my service experience with them put them in my list) - been past the shop a few times..quite cool!..if i wasnt already happy..i'd be willing to test it out.
5. Pinky (mostly good reviews but with a small handful of negative comments as well; my personal experience is good on the service side, product side need time to tell) - again, never tried..but heard mixed comments..some super excellent..others not so good!
6. Nickerman (a number of good reviews as well) - this one i never hear about!

Hope that helps others too!
grantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2009, 12:45 PM   #58

I always thought tailors in bkk are mostly fabric salesmen. What they do is collect orders and measurements and send to a common pool tailors. Guess I was misinformed.
sue88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2009, 08:55 PM   #59
Master Member

Coming back to what condor mentioned in regards to recommended tailors:
1. Narin Couture (very positive reviews; came in tops from my research) - sounds excellent, but maybe a little over priced for most of our budgets? Although if you got a fat pocket, you might want to give a shirt a try.
2. Crown's (mostly good reviews; perhaps no/little bad comments as well) - my personal happiest tailoring comes at this place. Won't go anywhere else.
3. Moon River (relatively good reviews) - Was about to give them a try until I looked up tripadvisor and found relatively weird comments about them!
4. Empire (not many reviews but for the few reviews, it's quite decent and my service experience with them put them in my list) - been past the shop a few times..quite cool!..if i wasnt already happy..i'd be willing to test it out.
5. Pinky (mostly good reviews but with a small handful of negative comments as well; my personal experience is good on the service side, product side need time to tell) - again, never tried..but heard mixed comments..some super excellent..others not so good!
6. Nickerman (a number of good reviews as well) - this one i never hear about!

Hope that helps others too!
Agree on Narin, but I guess everyone should have 1-2 good quality shirts either for the special occasion (wear to others' wedding), interviews, etc. I think it's alright to spend 2000b for a quality shirt for this purpose although very frankly, I've never spent close to this amount before. Perhaps my 1500b shirt is the most expensive piece in my wardrobe now... :p Otherwise, 1100b for a well tailored blend is not too shabby considering that Crown's also offering blended for this price bracket.

Last edited by Condor; 24-10-2009 at 08:58 PM..
Old 24-10-2009, 09:11 PM   #60
Master Member

I always thought tailors in bkk are mostly fabric salesmen. What they do is collect orders and measurements and send to a common pool tailors. Guess I was misinformed.
You're not wrong to say that. The shopfronts are usually well, shopfronts. A place for the customer service aspect to select fabric and take measurements. The actual tailoring is done by another offsite "factory"/"sweat shop". Heard some say that there're just a few mass production sewing facilities that nearly every tailor shop uses. Some others have their own little "factory".

The difference is perhaps that each tailor shop will have a set of tailors dedicated to them. While I believe that many of the "tailors" in the shopfronts are mere measurers and possibly can't thread a needle, some of the older generation of the established shops are likely to have started from ground up as a tailor and later ventured out.

It may also be that they now have become bosses they no longer do the more tedious sewing but have taken apprentice according to their craft for this. Some I heard continue to do the outlining and cutting. Once the shapes and markings are in place, it's likely that more experienced "sewers" would be able to bring out the product just by connecting the dots.

It's just like any aspiring fashion designer are expected to be able to do some sewing and such during their early days especially when under training. When they progress and move up, they just stop doing that. Do you think Valentino do the entire process himself after the achieved fame? He'd just do the design and make sure that the tailors in his employ deliver to his standard.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.