www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Thailand (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/thailand-279/)
-   -   Any tailors in Bangkok to recommend? (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/thailand-279/any-tailors-bangkok-recommend-2480253.html)

Because_ar 24-06-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jclark (Post 67777563)
Polyester is synthetic whereas wool is a natural fibre. Wool is more breathable than polyester and is considered more stylish.

You can go to Robinsons for eg. and feel the difference between polyester and wool suits. You can also feel the poly and wool blends. If you can't feel or appreciate the difference, no harm going for just the blend. Next time, when you can appreciate and also when budget permits, you may consider pure wool suits...which also has many varieties like super 100s, 110s etc.

If you are really on a budget and need a suit, just go for polyester then. Just get the fit right with the tailor.

If you're keen to know more, google the difference between polyester and wool.

G2K is mostly polyester or at most a wool blend. I have yet to come across pure wool suits there.

Thanks for the explanation. Guess i can make my trip down to make a polyester one :)

I suppose polyester one will be faster? or slower becuz more exp orders are prioritize? :eek:

Any recommended tailors? Crown? Boss? Pinky? my pref is best value for money.

jclark 24-06-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Because_ar (Post 67778561)
Thanks for the explanation. Guess i can make my trip down to make a polyester one :)

I suppose polyester one will be faster? or slower becuz more exp orders are prioritize? :eek:

Any recommended tailors? Crown? Boss? Pinky? my pref is best value for money.

No matter what fabric, it can be equally fast. The sacrifice is on the fit, unless you have time to do multiple fittings.

I would say Crown is good... I've tried them before. Workmanship is good and they are honest about their fabrics. Even if it says made in italy, they'll tell you its really from china. I would recommend coming here.

My personal favourite is Tailor On Ten which is all the way down in the same Soi as Crown, but they only offer pure wool. I hear they will bring in wool poly blends soon as they lose out on the Singapore market. They are pricey though.

keiichiro 24-06-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keiichiro (Post 65053289)
Review of crown.. I was there mid feb.. Did 2 shirt and pants..
Total have to do 4 fitting.. Each time i went , they did not have my shirts and pants ready even though the appointment was fixed beforehand.. Thus have to wait for at least 30 mins for their tailor to bring over.. Each time they alter will have new problem , ie. alter waist size, they will just alter waist size, never consider after alter other parts like hip or leg area will be out of shape.. same goes for the shirt..

I was there on Sunday, informed them i will be leaving on thursday afternoon, which should have more than enough time for fitting and alteration.. End up on thursday , after 3 fitting still have to do alteration again as the pants and shirt were out of shape due to excess cloths... I have to come back to BKK from pattaya just to pick up the clothes again on Saturday.
Finally they got it correct...

I didnt have this problem when i used boss the previous time.. They managed to get 4 shirt and 1 pants out for me within 3 days with only 2 fitting...

But to be fair, their cloth material seems to be of better quality compared to boss based on same price range..

Just an update on my tailored clothes from crown..
-Both pants pocket buttons has disappeared 1 month later.
-Front hook dropped off within 2 weeks.. My mom have to sew it back for me..
-3 months on one of the shirt is fraying on the underarm side due to rubbing against the fabric.

Tailor from boss..
-1 year on .. still going strong..

Looks like i have to take back my comment on better quality cloths..

tenz1204 24-06-2012 10:58 PM

I made a pants from tailor on ten too. agree that is pricey. Did the 5600 baht pants. Didn't gave me the wow factor though..now can only see how long the pants can last.

jclark 25-06-2012 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenz1204 (Post 67798294)
I made a pants from tailor on ten too. agree that is pricey. Did the 5600 baht pants. Didn't gave me the wow factor though..now can only see how long the pants can last.

The price premium is for the fabric, guess yours is the super 110s. I only tried super 100s. Workmanship was good IMO, and should last since they should be dry cleaned and not subject to the rigours of our washing machines.

But doubt I will tailor pants with them again as I feel tailoring them at Iris from Lucky Plaza is cheaper.. Only S$200 for the super 110s, compared to 5600 baht at Tailor On Ten.

tenz1204 25-06-2012 07:04 AM

yup, I only did 1 to test the workmanship. because I have been doing pants from 1800-2500 baht. Just want to see how good this is or just the hype. Seriously speaking, lay man cannot differentiate much for fabric. I only trust my hand and touch. If I like the material (ie comfy), heck if it is from china or italy.

Sinkie 25-06-2012 01:30 PM

Anyway to test whether is 3 ply cotton or polyester blend?

KeKeLaRz 26-06-2012 04:01 AM

anyone used raja fashion before? expensive but meant to be good?

jclark 26-06-2012 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinkie (Post 67812778)
Anyway to test whether is 3 ply cotton or polyester blend?

Do a burn test.... if that's even possible.

grantt 27-06-2012 02:39 AM

Again, we come back to the same story. 5600 THB for a pair of pants is ridiculous! We can get that from other tailors for 2.5 pants!!

the burn test situation - it can tell you right away if it is polyester or some wool or 100% wool, but you cannot tell how many % wool it has. By the way, 3 ply cotton probably too thick for singapore also for the shirts! That's why i keep going back to crown because i trust what they sell is the real deal. If they say it's 100% cotton, it's 100% cotton. Hey, we get what we pay for right?

Btw, who going to crown in singapore?

jclark 27-06-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grantt (Post 67861366)
Again, we come back to the same story. 5600 THB for a pair of pants is ridiculous! We can get that from other tailors for 2.5 pants!!

the burn test situation - it can tell you right away if it is polyester or some wool or 100% wool, but you cannot tell how many % wool it has. By the way, 3 ply cotton probably too thick for singapore also for the shirts! That's why i keep going back to crown because i trust what they sell is the real deal. If they say it's 100% cotton, it's 100% cotton. Hey, we get what we pay for right?

Btw, who going to crown in singapore?

I agree 5600 is lots, but it isn't true you can 2.5 pants of the same quality elsewhere. Even Crown's pure wool pants are at least 3000 baht IIRC. Tailor On Ten's pure wool starts from 4200 baht for the super 100s. The 5600 price is for the super 110s. So... unless you were comparing with wool blend pants or polyester pants, doubt you can get 2.5.

But I agree... Crown is honest with its fabric, if its from China, they will tell you so. However, just after a month, one of the buttons from my pants made there fell off......

Sinkie 27-06-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinkie (Post 67488115)
anyone tried embassy fashion?

The Bespoke Tailor Shirts and Suits online in Bangkok

http://i.imgur.com/t0Tkx.jpg

price is negiotiable to as low as $50 if you tailor alot of shirts.. and many japanese tailor their shirts there too and given how demanding japanese are to their shirts, my friend highly recommended me here.

any feedback??

Quote:

Originally Posted by meowmeowcat (Post 67679158)
just came back from bkk.. did some shirts..

my fren did a suit - full cashmere wool blazer + trouser = 6000 baht

workmanship is immaculate.. measure - fit on day 2 - day 3 deliver

embassy suit gallery

Embassy suit gallery is a cheater.. Their cheapest range for shirt around $48 sgd.. But it is not egypt cotton and instead it's polyester even though at the shop he claimed its Egypt 3 ply cotton and $48 is the lowest he can go which make me though I got a good deal..

Please avoid this embassy suit at all cost unless u dont mind tailoring polyester shirt

Gaara1983 27-06-2012 11:34 PM

just back from my wild bkk trip. I would like to take this opportunity to introduce Tailor on Ten to you guys. I did 3 shirts with them and I am very satisfied with their services, workmanship, design and recommendations.

Alex, who is the owner of the shop, really does provide an extra mile in exceeding his customers' satisfaction. Firstly, he will make an attempt to speak to everyone whom visited his shop, regardless if they are his clients or merely just browsing around. He will also showcase his selection of fabrics and explain the differences between the good ones and the least expensive ones. 2ndly, the entire customer experience was none pushy and you actually have time to think through what you really want. 3rdly, I have been to a couple of tailors during my past trips in bkk and their choice of fabric material and design are definitely one of the better ones. Especially recommended for guys who want to look cool, trendy and yet profesional. The only negative bit is that their location is abit off, kinda deep into the soi.. will probably need 15-20 mins of walk...

Tailors I have visited (review based on latest visits)
1) Tailor on Ten
Worksmanship = 7/10 (requires some re-adjusting after the 1st fit, can be improved)
Fabric design/choices = 9/10 (wide spread of choices, trendy , fashionable and looks professional)
Material = 9/10 (Comfortable and cooling, 2 ply cotton rocks!)
Attitude = 9/10 (goes the extra mile, non-pushy)
Price = 8/10 (the shirts are worth investing, but i feel that the pants are rather pricey.. would actually go for a lower end one)
Location = 4/10 (deep in the soi, need taxi or motorbike)
Overall experience = 11/10 (they can definitely improve on the location and worksmanship, however I felt that my purchases are fairly justified and I throughly enjoyed the entire customer experience! Looking forward to make a few more shirts soon!)

Crown Tailors
Worksmanship = 6/10 (require re-adjusting after 1st fit. their pants looks good but my friend and I just stop wearing the shirt we made. Feels hot when you wear the shirts, rough and thin material -_-)
Fabric design/choices = 6/10 (Typical design which you can find in any shops)
Material = 6/10 (Pants are fine but shirt is CMI == i have stated why earlier on)
Attitude = 7/10 (Willing to help resolves customer problems. Typical transactional feel, you come in, they try to impress, you order then bye bye!)
Price = 8/10 (Still worth it if you are looking for lower end pants)
Location = 9/10 (easy to find na, just below NANA BTS)
Overall experience = 7/10 (still one of the slighty better ones outside, if you know what you want)

Narin
Crown Tailors
Worksmanship = 9/10 (power skills, no need to readjusting after 1st fitting, Premium)
Fabric design/choices = 8/10 (quite a variety as well and different from the typical tailor designs)
Material = 8.5/10 ( Material is pretty cooling )
Attitude = 6/10 (abit ATAS, just tell me upfront via email need to take 1 week to make 3 shirts and did not explained why. that is why i stopped visiting them during this trip. he only take 4 days for my previous trips, 3 shirts as well)
Price = 6/10 ( go for it if you want to pay premium for his workmanship)
Location= 7/10 (along Sukhumvit main road)
Overall experience = 7/10 (they are definitely one of the more expensive ones in bkk. but they do provide premium worksmanship.)

Empire Tailor
Worksmanship = 7/10 (requires readjusting after 1st fit)
Fabric design/choices = 6/10 (Typical design which you can find in any shops)
Material = 5/10 (Supposingly they say it's Egyptain clothing. but its not -_-)
Attitude = 8/10 (Beyond transactional feel, you can chill and relax at their shop)
Price = 6/10
Location = 7/10 (along sukhumvit main road)
Overall experience = 6/10 (I do not recommend anyone to this shop)

KeKeLaRz 28-06-2012 12:40 AM

no feedback on Rajas? i see Rajas most expensive.

Because_ar 28-06-2012 01:46 AM

I actually read through all the pages from the 1st page till the current page during my free time. Great reviews from many of you, especially Condor.

Basically Crown, Pinky and Boss avenue are more popular here.

Guess I will head down to Crown during my BKK trip.

I will probably be making a suit for wedding dinner/prom/formal dinner. I've seen reviews with prices ranges from 5k-8k baht from Crowns, Boss and other less popular but with positive review tailors. But since the price range are almost the same, I'd go with Crown.

This is my first trip to BKK and first time tailoring a suit. What are the points I need to take note or prepare before heading down to Crown? my trip is 3days 3night. I plan to cab down to Crown at around 9pm on weekday, will they still be willing to serve me? I hope 3 days is enough for the fitting and alterations...