www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Thailand (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/thailand-279/)
-   -   Any tailors in Bangkok to recommend? (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/thailand-279/any-tailors-bangkok-recommend-2480253.html)

jclark 28-06-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Because_ar (Post 67888550)
I actually read through all the pages from the 1st page till the current page during my free time. Great reviews from many of you, especially Condor.

Basically Crown, Pinky and Boss avenue are more popular here.

Guess I will head down to Crown during my BKK trip.

I will probably be making a suit for wedding dinner/prom/formal dinner. I've seen reviews with prices ranges from 5k-8k baht from Crowns, Boss and other less popular but with positive review tailors. But since the price range are almost the same, I'd go with Crown.

This is my first trip to BKK and first time tailoring a suit. What are the points I need to take note or prepare before heading down to Crown? my trip is 3days 3night. I plan to cab down to Crown at around 9pm on weekday, will they still be willing to serve me? I hope 3 days is enough for the fitting and alterations...

The timing is very tight. Crown closes at 8..,maybe you should email them to confirm if they can stay open for you. They may even need to ship the suit to you. Shipping is 600 baht.

lweegp 28-06-2012 11:57 AM

hey guys, im back from my trip. i tailored a suit + pant for 7000baht from pinky tailor. overall im still happy with their service, the material they used, the cutting and little details added on makes the suit looks even better. :) i'll post a pix when i have the chance.

had a word with the owner's son win too and very humble fella.

anyway i think their price is acceptable and they're quite eager to please their customers. any request within means they will try to fulfill.

lastly remember to bargain as much as possible!! but of course be realistic. happy tailoring!! :)

Because_ar 28-06-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jclark (Post 67892092)
The timing is very tight. Crown closes at 8..,maybe you should email them to confirm if they can stay open for you. They may even need to ship the suit to you. Shipping is 600 baht.

I emailed them and they say 8 sounds good to them and they are able to complete within the timespan I have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lweegp (Post 67896078)
hey guys, im back from my trip. i tailored a suit + pant for 7000baht from pinky tailor. overall im still happy with their service, the material they used, the cutting and little details added on makes the suit looks even better. :) i'll post a pix when i have the chance.

had a word with the owner's son win too and very humble fella.

anyway i think their price is acceptable and they're quite eager to please their customers. any request within means they will try to fulfill.

lastly remember to bargain as much as possible!! but of course be realistic. happy tailoring!! :)

Suit + pants i suppose it's just jacket + pants?

Btw here's the price for suit and blazer(alone) quoted from Pinky and Crown;

Pinky:
Quote:

Price for blazer start from THB 6,000 up to THB 10,000 and up.
Suit from THB 8,000, 10,000, 13,000 and up.
Crown:
Quote:

Suits start from THB 5500 onwards whereas blazers are only 3800 THB!
I suppose both suit set from these two tailors consists of jacket + pants only.

I'm awaiting for Boss Avenue's reply regarding the price quote on suit and blazer.

Poshua 28-06-2012 09:13 PM

Shortlisted a the good ones after running through forums and forums:

1) Narin Culture - Confirm good but expensive. Min 3 shirts to start. Thai Chinese.
2) Tanika - For those who can't afford Narin, can try Tanika. Same like Narin got specialized tailors behind the shop. Thai Chinese.
3) Milan Suit - Pro and cheapest among all Thai Chinese tailors.
4) Moon River by VJ - Pro run by Indian with specialized tailors.
5) Tailor on 10 - Wide range of fabrics and pro tailor. Run by Canadian.
6) Jhasper Fashion - Cheap with shirts starting at 800 baht, suit around 6,000 baht.
7) Boss Ave - Cheap and no extra charge for customization
8) Crown - Reasonable price and popular
9) Paul's fashion - Heard from banker friend their top grade shirts at 1,000 baht only. (Armari Watergate)
10) Pinky tailor - Many mixed reviews
11) Excelsior - cheap (6 shirts 5,000 baht)
12) Nickermann - Landmark Hotel

This is in no way ranked as I've mixed it with high end and budget tailors. I'm more concerned about the skills of the tailor then the price and quality of materials as I believe with the right cut, even normal fabric will make you stand out. If the cut is wrong, even the best fabric will not make you look good.

Wanderer-in-Time 28-06-2012 11:34 PM

Anyone who is in Bangkok looking for suits should definitely give Crown a visit. First off, the location is excellent right off the main Sukhumvit road. The choice of fabrics is amazing, italian, 120s-180s, you will easily get what you are looking for. The styles they offer are the latest (and your suits actually turns out like the way you wanted!). But the reason that attracted me to these guys was their reputation for excellent stitching and good fitting. I couldn't be bothered to revisit for adjusments, it was a short trip. But boy did they exceed expectations. Although their craftsmanship comes at a price, its worth spending on.

Because_ar 28-06-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanderer-in-Time (Post 67913201)
Anyone who is in Bangkok looking for suits should definitely give Crown a visit. First off, the location is excellent right off the main Sukhumvit road. The choice of fabrics is amazing, italian, 120s-180s, you will easily get what you are looking for. The styles they offer are the latest (and your suits actually turns out like the way you wanted!). But the reason that attracted me to these guys was their reputation for excellent stitching and good fitting. I couldn't be bothered to revisit for adjusments, it was a short trip. But boy did they exceed expectations. Although their craftsmanship comes at a price, its worth spending on.

Thanks for the input. I will certainly choose Crown if the price difference is not huge. But if the price difference is really huge, then I might choose Boss Avenue over Crown since the reviews aren't bad either.

Because_ar 29-06-2012 01:36 AM

Here's the reply from Boss Avenue;

Quote:

Blazer Suit (2 piece)

Starting range (Polyester mix cashmere) 3,000 4,000

Mid range (Fine Cashmere Wool with cotton mix) 3,400 4,800

High Range (Pure Cashmere Wool) 4,000 6,000
If Crown's mat for 5500 is same as the Boss Avenue's 4000 mat, I might be visiting Boss instead of Crown.

Any fellow members here made any suits from Boss?

Poshua 29-06-2012 04:56 AM

I was eager with my first visit to Crown after reading much reviews. No doubt, the service was excellent and Mana was very friendly while I highlighted my specifications with him - slim fit. He gave me a very good orientation and I went through some designs with my magazine I brought. There's 3 category for shirts - 1,000/ 1,200/ 1,500 baht. I made a pair of pants which cost 3,000 baht as it was 100% cotton.

I decided to start with a shirt and a grey cotton pants. First, I was surprised that instead of Sam/ Mana, my body measurement was done by one of their 2 blanga staffs (one didn't even bothered having his pants altered properly and was crumpled at the bottom). Not to say I doubt their abilities but I'm certainly not very confident when it's not handled by the lead tailor nor his son. It was done in less then 5 mins and I was left baffled. As I was not very convinced he'll do a good job, I showed him a sample shirt for reference. I also told him the sample shirt was bought from the racks and it is not custom tailored to my body.

I had my first fitting on the next day. Material was comfortable as I choose the top tier 1,500 baht category. Stitching seams was good with double layer (don't know what you call it). After donning it, it feels like they just followed my sample shirt. The shelves holes are too tight and I can feel the underside clasping my armpits. It could just mean that they did not follow their own measurements, rather my sample shirt as it was tight. The shelve length is much shorter and I can imagine it will not reveal much of the cuffs if I wore a suit. As for the pants, it's quite loose on the ass area and quite tight on the waist (same like my sample pants). The length was correct merely covering my shoes which I requested.

Since I can't lengthen the shirt's shelves, I can only expand the armpit holes. As for the pants, I got them to tapered it and expand the waist. I also extended the length to stitch up the bottom cuffs for a trendier look. I told them to keep to the same length as I was happy with it. I also requested a darker button for my back pocket. No question asked and they obliged to my requests. Kudos to good service.

I came for the 2nd fitting with high hopes but to my surprise, I receive my shirt with no buttons on the cuffs! They must have miss out when they try to alter the sleeve holes and I was thinking, "Where is the QC!!??" It just occurred to me they sent it to their factory tailors and didn't bother to check. One would think they are busy with too many orders. Imagine if I didn't go for the fitting and they courier it to Singapore. I can't wear the shirt at all! They also did not change the color of the pant's buttons as requested. The pants also looked the same and doesn't seem tapered. The pants was even longer than before after the stitched-cuff look which is not what I want. The threads they used to stitch up was of a darker color and it looked so unnatural. I was thinking how could a atas tailor not aware of basic fashion?

They give me the "after wash will shrink" crap for the pant's length but in my mind Crown has failed my expectations. I'm sorry as being a Virgo, I naturally pay attention to fine details and I'm always keeping up with trends with GQ, Men's Ex (Japan), Esquire etc magazines. If they can't even accede to simple customer requests AND never check before delivering, it means there is a big problem here. My only reasoning is because maybe I'm not a VIP customer as I order only 1 shirt and a pair of pants but the bigger problem I feel is they're over-hyped. Too much business and they can't cope with individual requests. Nothing wrong with that but just like some restaurants. When it's too crowded, the food may not be cooked to utmost perfection. Maybe I'm the suay one.

My feedback and advice if you're going to Crown:
1) Get Sam/Mana to do your measurements.
2) Ask them to write down your request as sometimes they get too crowded and can't pay attention.
3) Don't expect high quality finishing that is really custom made to your body. I went to another tailor and their attention to details was superior. Even adjusting the pants they do it pin by pin; compared to Crown they only use 1 pin to lock in the size - unprofessional.
4) If you're a very particular person, do not go there unless you expect more than 3 fittings to get what you want. Can't imagine how many fittings would a suit need.
5) You get good service and as many alterations as you want. Mana also recommend us where to eat and massage but that's beside the point.

Finally, I decided not to collect my clothes as I rather use the balance on another tailor. I guess Crown's people are always checking on this forum as there are many Singaporeans I met in the shop. I'm not any competitor but just someone who wants to look good with my business wear. Please pay more attention to our customer needs and if possible get a more experienced tailor to take measurements.

tenz1204 29-06-2012 07:16 AM

Hi Poshua,

I went to crown just 2 weeks ago, at a start also did 1 pant and 1 shirt only to test workmanship. My 1st fitting was already perfect with no alteration so I made another pants. I gave them quite a few instructions to do as well. They did it accordingly and good. Now can only see it the shirt and pants last.

Hmmm... I also saw some of them having similar experience with you. Is it a heng suay thing?

Because_ar 29-06-2012 07:24 AM

Crown just replied me regarding the material they use for the suit at 5500 baht, and it's 100% polyesters. Guess will visit them when I have a bigger budget during my next trip.

Poshua 30-06-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenz1204 (Post 67918247)
Hi Poshua,

I went to crown just 2 weeks ago, at a start also did 1 pant and 1 shirt only to test workmanship. My 1st fitting was already perfect with no alteration so I made another pants. I gave them quite a few instructions to do as well. They did it accordingly and good. Now can only see it the shirt and pants last.

Hmmm... I also saw some of them having similar experience with you. Is it a heng suay thing?

Others also had same experience? I thought I'm the only one. Who did your measurements?

tenz1204 01-07-2012 01:08 PM

A soft spoken guy did the measurement, I didn't catch his name. Mana was around but was busy with calls. Then an older man came to take over.

For fitting, it is the soft spoken guy.

grantt 02-07-2012 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenz1204 (Post 67972401)
A soft spoken guy did the measurement, I didn't catch his name. Mana was around but was busy with calls. Then an older man came to take over.

For fitting, it is the soft spoken guy.

I usually have mana chatting to me and then lop measuring and doing my fitting for me, which has always worked out pretty well. Seems like the same, regardless of who measures me since i've seen these same people as Crown year in and year out when i visit!

Poshua 02-07-2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grantt (Post 67993610)
I usually have mana chatting to me and then lop measuring and doing my fitting for me, which has always worked out pretty well. Seems like the same, regardless of who measures me since i've seen these same people as Crown year in and year out when i visit!

Good you had yours well, mine wasn't until I visited Tanika who got everything right. I've never worn such a perfect shirt before. There's a huge difference when I put it on. It blends into my body slim fit without feeling any discomfort. I don't know how they do it but it's even more solid than my sample shirt which I bought from Korea. Although I paid a much higher premium, I get better quality, hand stitching and superior service.

I wanted to try Narin Couture initially but he said my 5 days trip here was not sufficient for him to produce the shirts in time (furthermore it's near weekend and Sunday is off). I was advised to best start on Monday and they need minimum 3 pieces to start. I don't know why but I had this feeling the Thai Chinese does a better job in terms of QC and listening to customer needs. I can see they take pride in quality and rather reject you than not doing a good job.

I also gave a shot at our famous Jhasper Fashion with their top tier 1,200 baht shirt. First fitting, the measurement was wrong with wider shoulders and larger armpit holes. They're using single seam for the underside sleeves as compared to Crown and Tanika (Double). I requested to change but they can only alter the armpit holes tighter. Service from the wife is not as friendly as the husband although both are very professional and not pushy. She told me if I want double stitching, I should have mentioned earlier and they can't do anything to alter the shoulders. Actually I couldn't be bothered much because my heart is set for Tanika..

Tanika's quality and texture of the shirt when it lays on my body felt so soft and pleasing. The pants hugs subtly and look sharp as compared to Crowns. I suspect it was bespoke because on the first fitting at Tanika, my pants looked raw without pockets, belt loops and there were strings attached to it. I asked to taper it more and they slide the pins one by one ensuring I have the closest look that I want. They are very patient and even a fraction of inch matters to them. To be honest, I'm really fascinated by their detailed measurements and attitude which is probably why the clothes turn out like it was specially molded for me. My confidence aura illuminate instantly.

I ended up there with 7 shirts, 2 pants and a suit. Yes, I spent more than 1k there on my first visit and I was really happy I found the one (out of 3). There's still a few more I would want to try on next visit - Tailor on 10, Milan Suit and Pinky.

I'm now waiting for my suit to be delivered to Singapore as they need at least 2 weeks. This is quality I trust and I hope I won't be disappointed.

I just want to add, there're different categories of shoppers. Some look for the cheapest, some are new to tailoring and as for me, I now pursue quality, workmanship and value for money. The cost of each shirt is like paying the price of Zara but you get a Prada custom made shirt.

kendecorp 13-07-2012 02:33 AM

Terrible experience

Hi all,

After reading these threads, i finally decided to go crown to make my shirts. My experience was terrible. I thought i was a very cautious buyer. Turn out i got con. what happened was, i went to crown tailor to make 2 shirts. I kept asking the guy who is older, abit plump if the material i choose is 2 ply. He told me it is 2 ply for both shirts.

When i went on monday 9/7/12 to try my shirt, initially i was quite pleased with the 1st shirt made and the material seems ok just that i need to alter the sleeves. I asked to try another shirt which i have purchased and he told me it will be ready by 8 pm. To cut the long story short, i went to collect my shirts at 8 pm and to my astonishment, when i went to the fitting room to try the pink shirt which i have made, i could literally see my nipples!!! i went to ask the guy who took my measurement why the material is so thin?!

He told me its a single ply and in fact, all the cloths that are on display are single ply except 2 shelves which are clearly stated as the premium material.

Honestly, i wanted to reprimand him for lying to me. Guys, why would i pay 1200 baht for a single ply when i can get 2 ply in singapore for SGD$50??? its absolutely absurd and i tell myself i wouldnt want to tailor in bkk again. Its not very cheap honestly.

A fellow member "Poshua" recommended that Tanika tailor is good. When i went in to check the starting rate for the shirts, i got shocked as well. Starting rate is at 2000 baht. I was served by a elderly man. Guess he is the boss.