www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Thailand (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/thailand-279/)
-   -   Any tailors in Bangkok to recommend? (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/thailand-279/any-tailors-bangkok-recommend-2480253.html)

Condor 23-01-2011 10:25 PM

Ok, did a simple map of the few tailors that are referenced in this thread. Download to your netbook, iPhone, iPad, or whatever to help you when you're there.

Surprising, Pinky, Empire, and Crown are on Google Maps so I just used them as is. The other tailors on the map are added by me.

I did not add Rajawongse since I have no intentions to use them and I have had bad experience there. Anyway they are beside Landmark Hotel for those who are interested. Along Soi 4 somewhere near Dynasty Inn is Raja Tailor (think is father or some relations that also has good reviews).

http://i54.tinypic.com/zwdwzp.png

scenium 24-01-2011 04:00 PM

What i get is the flat fell same as the one in the picture that was made by Crown... Shall upload the picture for all to reference... All in all what i have got is value for $$$... Good workmanship... My parent used to sew and this is what she told me...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Condor (Post 52352641)
In short, flat fell is better (stronger), but more troublesome and slower to make. Google for it if you want to know the details. This is how to tell them apart visually:
http://i38.tinypic.com/312xmxf.jpg

Not sure if I'm getting the single/double stitch correctly but I guess is asking about using 1 thread or 2 thread to sew a seam. 1 thread is created by looping/hooking each "hole" by itself. If you notice some shirts/pants that uses this technique, if there is a break in the thread, you only need to pull and the entire seam would unravel. Typically a chainstitch style.

2 threads is using 2 separate threads to form the "top" and "bottom" of the joint. Usually lockstitch style where the 2 threads are twisted together so that even if there is a cut in the thread, the seam would not fall apart. Chainstitch can also use 2 threads though. Google the keywords if you want some visualisation.

Klatzz 27-01-2011 09:50 AM

I just tried Brioni @ Soi Langsuan.

the cloth there are of good quality, but have to go 2nd floor for cloth for shirts.

Will post further reviews, just got back, shag.

6 Shirts (all with different colour inner collar and inner cuff), 4 pants.
Total Damage: 15000Baht

TFConvoy 27-01-2011 11:02 PM

will the tailors be closed during songkran? i intend to travel to BKK from 11 to 18 Apr'10. scared all the shops close leh.. any advise pls?

lolhalo 02-02-2011 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babymagus (Post 52294029)
what is the cost of one shirt @ crown, pinky or rajawongse?

I am going in feb so don't want to screw up my first tailoring in Thailand

Pinky's prices ranges widely. I had 2 HQC shirts for 1500baht each and,3 supposedly italian and sea island cotton material each for 2500baht each. Maybe i was conned lol

bayside 05-02-2011 11:19 AM

bro condor after reading your review seem like boss/crown is one of the best in term of price and quality eh. maybe paying crown a visit on the 11th.

vaxvms 05-02-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayside (Post 52800842)
bro condor after reading your review seem like boss/crown is one of the best in term of price and quality eh. maybe paying crown a visit on the 11th.

crown=more pricy but quality is there
boss=cheaper provided u dun mind the trouble of re-fitting again....eg make 2 shirt same time but both diff fitting :s8: ....

u can try both since they are so near each other

bayside 06-02-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaxvms (Post 52817274)
crown=more pricy but quality is there
boss=cheaper provided u dun mind the trouble of re-fitting again....eg make 2 shirt same time but both diff fitting :s8: ....

u can try both since they are so near each other

thanks vaxvms, thinking of doing 5-6 shirts, dunno can they make it within 4D3N

Condor 06-02-2011 11:02 PM

4d3n is enough, if you make a visit to the tailor as the first thing you do. if you place order by noon, some tailors can arrange for night 1st fitting. otherwise if you place order by evening, next day afternoon 1st fitting is common. with some alterations, next afternoon/night 2nd fitting/collection. you still have 1 day as a contingency if the 2nd fitting is not ideal.

for me i spent quite a bit of time choosing fabrics and finalising my design. afterall tailoring is all about bespoke service and i don't really make plain shirts. other than good fitment which is why some go to a tailor, i also want something that is different from rack shirts. i last few trips i never spend less than 3 hours hopping around tailors and placing my orders since my fashion sense is pretty bad and take a long time to decide my design.

i do not have enough experience with crown and it's not the top of my list based on price and experience. anyway they'd be in sg 25th feb to 3rd march. if you're interested i can refer you for an appointment.

experience showed that different trips/batch will show different results. sometimes shirts in the same trip/batch will have different results as well. afterall, there's more than 1 tailor (the one that actually does the sewing) working on your shirts and you have no idea who that may be. the only controls are the persons who outline and cut the fabric, and the consistency each tailor (the shop) have for quality assurance.

just think of this as restaurants. chefs keep changing. the recipes are the same. ingredients are the "same". but you do not always get the same taste right? the more established ones have some means of ensuring that the food quality is relatively consistent.

paul's fashion @ watergate is cheaper than boss and could be worth a try. it's up to you what you want. for me now, it's cheap (with reasonable quality) for daily wears and a couple more expensive ones for the special occasion shirts.

i have previously shared how i rank the tailors in terms of what is the primary concern. it may or may not help you. my advise is still pay a visit to the various tailors and see which one you are more comfortable with. affinity and personal preference do matter.

have fun tailoring. :)

vaxvms 07-02-2011 12:25 AM

ya agreed wif bro condor...last time always go narin make shirt/pant but onli can make 2+1 or 1+2 pieces at a time as they are quite expensive but u can assure good quality
but as years goes by I realise I wan quantity....so need to source for cheaper option so I can make more shirts :)

babymagus 07-02-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolhalo (Post 52721151)
Pinky's prices ranges widely. I had 2 HQC shirts for 1500baht each and,3 supposedly italian and sea island cotton material each for 2500baht each. Maybe i was conned lol

sea island cotton @ 2500 baht?

that is like 108 dollars... well i SG it would cost around 180..

babymagus 07-02-2011 08:57 AM

okie I am considering visiting Rajawongse and crown..

I heard many bad comments about Rajawongse, are they over priced and inferior?

vaxvms 07-02-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babymagus (Post 52855210)
sea island cotton @ 2500 baht?

that is like 108 dollars... well i SG it would cost around 180..

problem is are u able to tell they are giving the geniune cotton or not...

tekster 07-02-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaxvms (Post 52365886)
dun worry if u dun go over they are coming to U soonZzzzz....
I heard CROWN will be in town and taking orders soonzzzz :s22:
they will send detail to customer email when they cfm their flihjt

i'm planning my BKK trip from 11-14 march. it's from fri to mon. you guys think i got enough time to make some shirts?

any idea when CROWN will be in town? do they have a website or something?

bayside 07-02-2011 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Condor (Post 52846635)
4d3n is enough, if you make a visit to the tailor as the first thing you do. if you place order by noon, some tailors can arrange for night 1st fitting. otherwise if you place order by evening, next day afternoon 1st fitting is common. with some alterations, next afternoon/night 2nd fitting/collection. you still have 1 day as a contingency if the 2nd fitting is not ideal.

for me i spent quite a bit of time choosing fabrics and finalising my design. afterall tailoring is all about bespoke service and i don't really make plain shirts. other than good fitment which is why some go to a tailor, i also want something that is different from rack shirts. i last few trips i never spend less than 3 hours hopping around tailors and placing my orders since my fashion sense is pretty bad and take a long time to decide my design.

i do not have enough experience with crown and it's not the top of my list based on price and experience. anyway they'd be in sg 25th feb to 3rd march. if you're interested i can refer you for an appointment.

experience showed that different trips/batch will show different results. sometimes shirts in the same trip/batch will have different results as well. afterall, there's more than 1 tailor (the one that actually does the sewing) working on your shirts and you have no idea who that may be. the only controls are the persons who outline and cut the fabric, and the consistency each tailor (the shop) have for quality assurance.

just think of this as restaurants. chefs keep changing. the recipes are the same. ingredients are the "same". but you do not always get the same taste right? the more established ones have some means of ensuring that the food quality is relatively consistent.

paul's fashion @ watergate is cheaper than boss and could be worth a try. it's up to you what you want. for me now, it's cheap (with reasonable quality) for daily wears and a couple more expensive ones for the special occasion shirts.

i have previously shared how i rank the tailors in terms of what is the primary concern. it may or may not help you. my advise is still pay a visit to the various tailors and see which one you are more comfortable with. affinity and personal preference do matter.

have fun tailoring. :)

bro i go and try crown when i am there. if satisfy then refer to their appointment in SIN. thanks

vaxvms 08-02-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayside (Post 52873650)
bro i go and try crown when i am there. if satisfy then refer to their appointment in SIN. thanks

since u are there better make there
maybe 1st day u go ask them make 1, than test fit next day
if satisfied ask them make more...no problem for them =:p

vaxvms 08-02-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tekster (Post 52860537)
i'm planning my BKK trip from 11-14 march. it's from fri to mon. you guys think i got enough time to make some shirts?

any idea when CROWN will be in town? do they have a website or something?

http://www.crowntailor.com/location.htm

enough time la...after fitting in afternoon 2pm, i aks them to make 2 more and they managae to send to my hotel at midnight before I felw off next day

tekster 09-02-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaxvms (Post 52890199)
http://www.crowntailor.com/location.htm

enough time la...after fitting in afternoon 2pm, i aks them to make 2 more and they managae to send to my hotel at midnight before I felw off next day

*sigh* problem is i will fly from singapore at 12. so by the time i reach there, half a day gone liao. so i doubt i can make it by afternoon 2pm fitting.

babymagus 09-02-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXboxXx (Post 40131355)
I will most likely be popping by Crown as I read tons of positive reviews over the internet.

I may also pop by rajawongse to take a look.. any other recommendations ? I am going to thailand during the coming long-weekend

same leh.. i going from 12~16!!! maybe can buddy up!

vaxvms 09-02-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tekster (Post 52919994)
*sigh* problem is i will fly from singapore at 12. so by the time i reach there, half a day gone liao. so i doubt i can make it by afternoon 2pm fitting.

fly at 12 reach 1pm bkk time
reach hotel 2pm,taxi to tailor, settle all around 5pm
next day fitting :)
if need alter midnight or early morning can be done

but before commit ask them can finished or not, if cannot move on to next shop since many tailor shops around sukhumvit :)

Jordan Chang 10-02-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaxvms (Post 52923644)
but before commit ask them can finished or not, if cannot move on to next shop since many tailor shops around sukhumvit :)

well, they can commit but not deliver too. and what can you do if you have a plane to catch in 1 hr time? =:p its better not to rush la...

vaxvms 10-02-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Chang (Post 52950738)
well, they can commit but not deliver too. and what can you do if you have a plane to catch in 1 hr time? =:p its better not to rush la...

depend on which shop u go to...those reputable one will not commit if they think they cannot make it :yawn:

tekster 10-02-2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaxvms (Post 52923644)
fly at 12 reach 1pm bkk time
reach hotel 2pm,taxi to tailor, settle all around 5pm
next day fitting :)
if need alter midnight or early morning can be done

alright, thanks for the tip.

most likely is reach there then go tailor then go hotel. hope i can still make it.

tekster 10-02-2011 10:06 PM

anyone knows where can i check the schedule when crown is coming to singapore? few people say they are coming to take measurement but i don't see it on their website.

Condor 10-02-2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tekster (Post 52961864)
anyone knows where can i check the schedule when crown is coming to singapore? few people say they are coming to take measurement but i don't see it on their website.

25th feb to 1st mar. email circulation.

Kram 12-02-2011 02:46 PM

Hi guys, will be going to bkk from 16 - 19 Feb. Anyone going ard the same time and wants to go tailoring maybe we can meet up over there?

Narrowed my choices down to 2 tailors

Pinky and Boss Avenue

Cheers!! :s12:

vaxvms 14-02-2011 09:29 AM

cheapest shirt I can find is 650b at classique-fashion soi 8
but nvr try maybe next trip :)

bayside 14-02-2011 11:38 PM

just back from BKK..made 5 shirt from Crown @ 1k baht/pcs with initial..kinda of expensive i suppose,but 1st time tailoring so should be ok..didn't actually went to other tailor and see look. just some 2 shirts the material quite thin,can see thru..

dnka 15-02-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tekster (Post 52961864)

below email for your reference:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrownTailor
Hi,

As we have not heard back from you regarding our trip, we just wanted to let you know that we will be in Singapore for orders of tailored clothes from the 25th of February till the 1st of March 20111

We will be staying at:

Orchard Parade Hotel
1 Tanglin Road
Singapore 247905
Tel +65 6737 1133

You can ask for Mr. Somchai Narula at the reception.

If you have a last minute need, please do contact us back soon as our appointments are getting filled up!

See you soon (hopefully)!

If you have any further queries, please do not hesistate to contact us. Thank you once again for your time.

Warm regards from Bangkok,
Sam & Mana
www.crowntailor.com

takuyazzz 15-02-2011 06:33 PM

how much does crown charge for a shirt?

bayside 15-02-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnka (Post 53084571)
below email for your reference:

wondering will it be more expensive then making in bkk.

vaxvms 16-02-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayside (Post 53096937)
wondering will it be more expensive then making in bkk.

will be better to do it personally in BKK =:p
but will be another option for those who cannot fly to BKK

babymagus 17-02-2011 01:09 PM

Hello Guys,

I just came back from Bangkok.

I went to Rajawongse and Crown for tailoring.

Crown Tailor - Review later...! I did went to crown by the way.

Rajawongse - I went here after visiting Crown Tailor, they charge $1000 BTH per shirt (100% Egyptian Cotton) and $2000 for pant(100% cashmere wool). I made a total of 4 shirts(Deposit $1000, Total Cost: $4000).

Service: 4 / 5
Material: 4.5 / 5
Workmanship: 4.5 / 5
Total Visit: 3 ( Order , Fitting, Collection)

Website http://www.dress-for-success.com/

Victor greeted me when I enter the shop, I selected the material and he took down my measurement on a piece of paper without the usual drawing of pants and shirt on them.

I ask if the pants can be machine wash, and he told me it was not advisable, therefore I didn't make any pants. (This was after taking down the measurement) I am quite amaze he did not try to convince me to make any pants, basically he didn't bother to hard sell to me!

I ask if I could choose the contrast for the collar and etc, he say his in-house tailor will choose it for me and I agreed.

I didn't really like taking to him actually, he was a bit snobbish, but hey I am paying for shirts not his company :P

I went back there for a 2nd fitting and it very comfortable and everything looks symmetrical. They even account for my slanted shoulders without me asking.

I went there for the 3rd time and collected all my shirts. They are great and fits me.

The built quality for their shirts and threading is wonderful and they account for all my body alignment without me even reminding them. I don't really like the conversation with Victor but I am sure he is a good hearted man and he have super good memory, he can remember the names of all the customer that walk in.

I am very happy with the 4 shirts made by them, it seems they didn't out source their tailors and they are very proud of their shirt and workmanship. The contrast is nice but not superd, they choose safe colors so you definitely won't be disappointed but at the same time it won't be very surprise.

I saw alot of Ang Mo there going back in groups and many seems to be their long time customer. There was one that even commented that they still have their old name card on the fitting wall. Oh yes you can see some ex-US president name card and security related personnel.. kind of like a tourist attraction

Overall, if you want your own design please bring them so that they can adapt, when you ask for slim fit they might gives comfort fit, therefore there could be a bit of mis communication.

Bottomline, their workmanship is consistent and good, there you don't have to worry about the shirts you make will fit different. Selection of material is a bit limited, but acceptable.

Conclusion: If this is your first time going tailor in BKK, BRING A WOMAN!

1) PLEASE make ONLY 1 shirt and 1 pant from any shop you visit.

2) If you are comfortable with the fitting of the shirt and pants,

3) CHECK OUT their worksmanship (Button, lining, threading and whether the shirt look SYMMETRICAL)

4) Get your lady friend to see, they are better at catching details, especially on the back of the shirt/pants.

5) Make more orders only if you are comfortable with the FITTING and WORKMANSHIP. They can copy the 1 or 2 shirts easily within 12 hours, the workmanship will determine the quality of the other shirts.

Condor 17-02-2011 07:35 PM

if you think rajawongse's quality is good, wait till you see crown. just look at the flat felled seams.

sorry, rajawongse left bad taste in me.

babymagus 17-02-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Condor (Post 53156835)
if you think rajawongse's quality is good, wait till you see crown. just look at the flat felled seams.

sorry, rajawongse left bad taste in me.

I did went to Crown but I am not writing a review yet because of some reasons.

Rajawongse are certainly NOT using flat felled seam or simple joint.

I can't seems to find their joint anywhere on the internet but looks like it needs more effort.

grantt 18-02-2011 11:52 AM

Can't believe Rajawongse didn't let u pick the insides or at least discuss some colours/patterns with you! What if you didnt like it?!

vaxvms 18-02-2011 12:13 PM

I had bad experience wif Rajawongse ...went there last time and u are rite victor quite snobbish and when i ask do double-colar + folder cuff and wanted choose design he also say tailor will choose for me....I say "tkank you" and left the shop

Jordan Chang 18-02-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babymagus (Post 53157024)
I did went to Crown but I am not writing a review yet because of some reasons.

:s11::s11::s11:

babymagus 18-02-2011 03:31 PM

well... Yes there might be a bit of shortfall when it comes to picking design and etc BUT!!!

their workmanship and quality is very good. Imagine if you are going overseas for 3 days and paying $42 SGD for a tailored shirt.

what you have to worry is the quality and workmanship because after the last fitting they will copy.. and the workmanship will determine the quality of the copying...

I forgotten to add.. I have the follow body structure issue.

1) slanted shoulder
2) man boobies
3) dent in rig cage.

Victor automatically consider all of the above when taking my measurement without me reminding them. Taking down measurement is easily but factoring the alignment and issues is a SCIENCE!~ something that requires a lot of experiences and knowledge of standards.

I rather give up some choices... anyway is not like they pick a color that is totally off, the contrast is actually better than what I would had chosen for myself! I'm not good at choosing colors =x

Anyway just try one shirt... if you don't like it don't buy more ;) 1000BTH is no biggy :D

Alancch 24-02-2011 01:32 PM

hi

just been back from bkk quite a good tailor i found near to anorma hotel there called " AMARI tailors "

they are not pushy quite adapt to your request everything and price is reasonable. as i had made 6 shirts , 2 pants for only 6k baht which is kinda unbelievable at 1st . the material is quite comfy lots of design as i didnt really do those double collar stuff or what but go according to my figure cutting style, their pants are the only thing maybe i think can try to amend somemore in sg coz they didnt do according to my whole legs bottom size still leaving some place kinda flat but overall.. value for money and good service plus the workmanship i give them ard 3/5 . .

grantt 04-03-2011 07:54 PM

Double Collar

Guys

Anyone tried the double collars recently? I've seen some made up in magazines and decided to give one a try of late and damn it looks sexy! Very good for a night out :s22:. I'll try and upload a pic in the next few days of the shirt I had done up!

tekster 07-03-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grantt (Post 53597508)
Guys

Anyone tried the double collars recently? I've seen some made up in magazines and decided to give one a try of late and damn it looks sexy! Very good for a night out :s22:. I'll try and upload a pic in the next few days of the shirt I had done up!

Can scan yr mag to let us have a look?

galant22 08-03-2011 10:22 AM

i usually do mine at paul's fashion @ 850 a pop... but my friend say got even cheaper ones...
anyone knows where?

vaxvms 08-03-2011 12:29 PM

Classique Fashion 650b /shirt

tekster 08-03-2011 12:48 PM

wanna ask, have any of you tried paying in USD before? is it possible to pay in USD?

vaxvms 08-03-2011 05:05 PM

USD is welcomed!!
but in thailand of cos we use bahts to pay instead :)

effiswhack 09-03-2011 06:18 PM

650 baht sure is a good price! Where is Classique Fashion located at? I'll be going over in 2 weeks.

vaxvms 10-03-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by effiswhack (Post 53745482)
650 baht sure is a good price! Where is Classique Fashion located at? I'll be going over in 2 weeks.

suk rd soi 8
when u in bkk?i am heading there as well ,maybe can go tailor together for more discount :)

Phelan77 13-03-2011 10:53 AM

Hi guys,

will be going to BKK next month for 4 days and will be tailoring some pants and shirts. Have shortlisted two tailors which i will be visiting. Milan suits & Narin couture.

Having read through this thread, i will be bringing my own fabric, bought here in SIngapore. Has anybody tried this before? Any idea what are the charges if you bring your own fabric?

BY the way, has anyone tried tailoring a 100% cotton twill shirt before?

vaxvms 14-03-2011 09:48 AM

if u doing in Narin, U sure the material u bringing is more superior than their?
anyway not sure how much the labour....
normally we do 80/20 cotton shirt as 100% one get crimpled easily