www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Thailand (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/thailand-279/)
-   -   Any tailors in Bangkok to recommend? (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/thailand-279/any-tailors-bangkok-recommend-2480253.html)

fass74 14-11-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtwis7 (Post 71415654)
It is quite surprising that they changed so much in under 2 months. They did show me the swatch booklet for the contrast, there were about 12-15 designs so I did choose one floral print from there but my other shirts were from main racks. Like your gingham shirt, I believe its the 2200 baht range so I could choose it. Were the owners around? That could be one other reason.

Not surprising considering that you didn't have to pay for contrast even. I was likewise shown the swatch book for contrast material.
Although I can't remember if I was not allowed to choose from any material for the contrast but I have a nagging thought that I did ask and was turned down.
The gingham is from the 2200 range, my shirt is also from this material

xtwis7 14-11-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fass74 (Post 71490804)
Not surprising considering that you didn't have to pay for contrast even. I was likewise shown the swatch book for contrast material.
Although I can't remember if I was not allowed to choose from any material for the contrast but I have a nagging thought that I did ask and was turned down.
The gingham is from the 2200 range, my shirt is also from this material

Have dropped Ben a mail. Let's see what he says then.

P.S: I am not affiliated to Tailor on Ten in any way, just in case someone thinks I'm being paid by them to post positive reviews.

fass74 14-11-2012 02:28 PM

Maybe Ben like your face. I didn't get any free cab either haha. But then again I only spent 5000 Baht, maybe below their benchmark for getting special service

xtwis7 14-11-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fass74 (Post 71493956)
Maybe Ben like your face. I didn't get any free cab either haha. But then again I only spent 5000 Baht, maybe below their benchmark for getting special service

The reason why I got free cab and free tie is because they pushed back my fitting day. Originally supposed to go for 2nd fitting on Saturday but changed to Sunday which was my departure day as well. Fitting time was 10am but due to the early downpour, traffic was at a halt so his tailor reached late as well. Once I was done with the fitting, went back to hotel and straight away checked out already. Maybe I was with my parents?

fass74 14-11-2012 02:54 PM

Anyway I am not accusing you of any hanky panky, just pointing out the differences in our experience. I'll have to say, I will not mind going back to TOT for a look at the different range of material. But I'll be careful about the timing for the collection, they seem to be a little off on that

xtwis7 15-11-2012 08:56 AM

Please see reply from TOT below. Looks like my impression of them has changed. Contrast charges from other fabrics are quite ridiculous.

Hi Melvin. Thank you for your email. I understand your concerns regarding our customization practices. We do however reserve the right to change our practices and pricing as we see fit due to market price/supply fluctuations. We are very upfront and list all of our pricing online.

Since we introduced our blended line we have maintained a policy of 50 baht for contrast and 50 baht for monogram. Even with those additional extras our prices are still lower than all of our competitors.

We are just about to restructure all of our pricing and that will be clearly represented on our website and in store.

Thank you for recommending your friends and also for bringing up your valid concerns. We value your opinion highly.

We do allow customers to choose a contrast from any luxury fabric for 300 baht more and any premium fabric for 200 more if they wish.

We now offer over 50 contrast fabrics in our contrast swatch books which I believe is a good range.

We are about to launch a new range of extremely affordable Giza 88 Egyptian cottons for under 3000thb and a new premium line for 1700 thb with hundreds more patterns to choose from.

We appreciate your business and look forward to hearing/seeing you again in the future.

Best regards,

Ben

TiggerD 15-11-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtwis7 (Post 71514361)
Please see reply from TOT below. Looks like my impression of them has changed. Contrast charges from other fabrics are quite ridiculous.

Hi Melvin. Thank you for your email. I understand your concerns regarding our customization practices. We do however reserve the right to change our practices and pricing as we see fit due to market price/supply fluctuations. We are very upfront and list all of our pricing online.

Since we introduced our blended line we have maintained a policy of 50 baht for contrast and 50 baht for monogram. Even with those additional extras our prices are still lower than all of our competitors.

We are just about to restructure all of our pricing and that will be clearly represented on our website and in store.

Thank you for recommending your friends and also for bringing up your valid concerns. We value your opinion highly.

We do allow customers to choose a contrast from any luxury fabric for 300 baht more and any premium fabric for 200 more if they wish.

We now offer over 50 contrast fabrics in our contrast swatch books which I believe is a good range.

We are about to launch a new range of extremely affordable Giza 88 Egyptian cottons for under 3000thb and a new premium line for 1700 thb with hundreds more patterns to choose from.

We appreciate your business and look forward to hearing/seeing you again in the future.

Best regards,

Ben

I don't get it??? Why is that ridiculous? They are charging 1000thb for a blended shirt! That is the cheapest good quality shirt in Bangkok I think. 1050thb for a blended shirt with contrast and they have over 50 contrast fabrics.. that is amazing, more than enough choice for me! Crown is charging 1200thb for a blended shirt plus 50thb or 100thb for contrast. So a blended shirt with contrast is 1250-1300thb. Same price! I won't even talk about the other tailors as I don't believe they are worth talking about!

So at TOT you can get a blended shirt with a contrast (albeit maybe not quite as much choice in contrast for 1050thb but 50 options is more than enough for me) or a a blended shirt with any contrast in the shop in single ply for 1200thb or 2 ply for 1300thb!!! No where else can you even use 2 ply as a contrast!!! Do you know what the others charge for 2 ply's? 2500thb and more! no pearl buttons, extras for details. 1700thb (100% cotton) and 2200thb (2 ply cotton) at TOT all including details, monograms, pearl buttons, contrast etc no extra charge.

Both Crown and TOT are the only places I would ever make clothing in Bangkok and both offer a good product. There pricing is pretty similar, Crown has a few more blended suitings which are on the cheaper price, TOT has more expensive (but better quality) suitings. Both have lots of shirt fabrics on offer, Crown is a couple of hundred baht more expensive for just a plain blended shirt, but they are about the same price for blended shirts with contrasts and both of them offer hundreds of contrast fabrics (however I think TOT is the only place that offers 2 ply fabrics as contrasts, at the same price as the others, but what is the point anyways of a 2 ply contrast!) TOT carries in shop more pure cotton fabrics.

So I think you guys should break it down and do a comparison and see that they are pretty on the money! I also emailed TOT about this and I will not post the response on here as I believe that is a breach of our confidentiality (I wouldn't want them to show my emails to other people just as I wouldn't show theirs to the world). I am comfortable saying though that Ben was very clear to me about this contrasting issue and his point was by initially limiting contrast choice for the blended fabrics helped them to keep costs down and offer a really cheap, quality product, if they offered their shirts at 1200thb or 1300thb then all contrast could be included, then though you don't get just a plain shirt for 1000thb!!! You would always have to pay 1300thb. I always buy a few plains colours and also contrasts too, so i like the way they do it it saves me money.

Anyways its pretty obvious that they are a good deal, and their pricing is more than fair. Regardless. Choose Crown or TOT and you know you'll get a good product, they will fix any problems and you know you are going to be looked after. By the way, both Mana from Crown and Ben from TOT are friends and know each other well. They even sometimes send each other clients when they are busy, I know this for a fact!

Squared_circle 15-11-2012 04:36 PM

Considering the cost of a basic shirt at TOT is cheaper than say crown, i wouldn't really mind them having tiers for different type of contrast, cause while some would say contrast doesn't really use much fabric, it does take some fabric and will result in wastage as well.

I believe the price would be similar as well, though they would probably do better if they write it down the additional cost of contrast not from the 50. Afterall, not every shirt we'll make would be with contrast and it's not like everyone can see the contrast clearly. Options is good.

Whitecamel 15-11-2012 05:33 PM

Ben from TOT showed me some of the new fabrics he is bringing in and they looked really awesome. A lot more windowpanes, checks and ginghams.

Btw, he knows of the existence of this forum.

tenz1204 15-11-2012 06:42 PM

Good that he knows. So he could read our concerns. I believe bros here are not one time customer and will go back more frequently if price,quality and choices are good.:)

tenz1204 15-11-2012 06:54 PM

And I think tiggerD is not comfortable with " we do allow customers to choose a contrast from any luxury fabric for 300 baht more and any premium fabric for 200 more if they wish."

We go bkk for tailoring for 1 reason, cost. Tio bo?
If need to add 300 for contrast. People will sian half, won't want to do contrast liao. If there are 50 choices, I think ok la. When I went, it was like 1 small booklet less than 20 choices and most of it are very jialat color like dark maroon,when you touch the contrast cloth, to be honest, are those jiapalang cloth,will rather not do contrast, maybe that was the intention.

And the location of TOT is quite deep inside soi,so I guess it is up to them to set their policy :) if they want returning customers.

xtwis7 15-11-2012 09:08 PM

It doesn't bothers me but I'm not sure if anybody might be bothered by the differences in clarity while tailoring. Well. They will be updating their prices online soon and also instore.

As for contrast, if the luxury and premium range had same designs then of course. But I would pick contrast based on the design and not the quality of the fabric. So if a contrast from their luxury range is really something I like, I don't have any other alternatives.

That said, I don't doubt their quality at all and their service is still top notch.

TiggerD 16-11-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenz1204 (Post 71529106)
And I think tiggerD is not comfortable with " we do allow customers to choose a contrast from any luxury fabric for 300 baht more and any premium fabric for 200 more if they wish."

We go bkk for tailoring for 1 reason, cost. Tio bo?
If need to add 300 for contrast. People will sian half, won't want to do contrast liao. If there are 50 choices, I think ok la. When I went, it was like 1 small booklet less than 20 choices and most of it are very jialat color like dark maroon,when you touch the contrast cloth, to be honest, are those jiapalang cloth,will rather not do contrast, maybe that was the intention.

And the location of TOT is quite deep inside soi,so I guess it is up to them to set their policy :) if they want returning customers.

? I don't understand this post at all. It's very clear that I am more than comfortable with TOT allowing customers to choose a contrast from any luxury fabric and that they charge for it. It means that their prices are kept lower. I can get a shirt with contrast for 1050thb, cheap! I love it. It also means that I can get any fabric as a contrast (and that means any) for 1300thb, also cheap. At that price people will definitely want to make contrasts! When I was there, many, many people were making shirts with contrasts! I would say TOT's biggest problem is that they are too busy and too popular.

I don't get why you are talking about when you went that there was less than 20 choices....they have expanded the range, it is now 50 + contrasts all the plain colours, loads of flowers and patterns etc, so now there is lots of choice and what does "jiapalang cloth" mean? All the contrasts are 100% cotton! They are good fabrics, better than the blended fabric that we all make our shirts from!!! They feel great, or maybe you are just used to polyester blend fabrics.....they certainly feel different to them, much better! If you don't like them don't go, simple really.

tenz1204 16-11-2012 01:41 PM

Oh, I mixed u up with the other post owner. Apologies.
Thanks for the update.

mosesboon 16-11-2012 03:04 PM

Me and my friend went to Crown on Tue morning.. I make 1 shirt and my friend make 3 shirts and 3 pants ..as for my friend he ordered 6 items get 7th item on 50%...We spent about 1.5hr there and relised that they have many customers from Singapore.We were served my Mr Lop and satisfied with their service.