Self-drive to Khao Yai

Kcomleda

Reaction score
Thailand is right hand drive so same as sg. If u drive enough in sg then should be fine there. Be more careful when coming out from small road and look out for car coming from small road. Other than that mostly the same ba.

BKK itself traffic is bad. Outside of it is ok. But depending on when you go, the traffic can be bad outside as well like if u go on songkran then good luck to you.

It's easy. Mostly one way not much turning until you reach ky. Renting from airport usually more expensive than downtown but probably more convenient. If normal car + insurance depending on company, maybe 50-60? Without driving, I'm not sure how u can roam in KY. If u take your bus there then have to follow the bus? Unless you rent driver to send u there and drive u around but alot more expensive than self drive.

Wow thank you so much for the advice. My other half, not keen in driving, worry stress during travelling... :s13: Alternatively bus to Khao Ya and see can rent Motorbike moving around in Khao Ya then bus back to Bangkok again.. wonder if this works... otherwise will try to convince driving to my other half. hahaha..

Never been to Khao Ya before, time to read about where to visit. Is February a good month to visit?

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow thank you so much for the advice. My other half, not keen in driving, worry stress during travelling...
:s13:
Alternatively bus to Khao Ya and see can rent Motorbike moving around in Khao Ya then bus back to Bangkok again.. wonder if this works... otherwise will try to convince driving to my other half. hahaha..

Never been to Khao Ya before, time to read about where to visit. Is February a good month to visit?

Not sure about renting car bike at ky itself. U can check if got anot. Don't think so though.

Driving where got stress. Self drive is the best to explore. U miss out alot if not self drive. Cause got no freedom to stop and change destination as and when.

Not sure which month better. Probably this two month? Cause more cooling weather ba.

Jordan

Master Member
Reaction score
Ya. Self drive is the best! At Khao Yai now. Thoroughly enjoyed my freedom and going places as and when I want to. Going back to Bangkok tomorrow :D

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A3000 using GAGT

yjx

Reaction score
Just sharing.

Just sharing my experience today, as I gleaned quite a bit from reading here.

Arrived at DMK airport this morning, and picked up pre-booked car at Thai-rent-a-car, all was smooth, received a clean Vios with only 47000km on it.

Then took 1hr to reach Tesco branch at Saraburi for a supply stock up + quick bite before another 35min to Saraburi Sunflower Field. Paid a token 10THB per pax to enter the field, and with the flowers at full bloom, it was worth it. Though mid-day temp rose up to a feel of 30degree or so.

Next was Midwinter Green at Pak Chong, which took another hour. Took the advice from an earlier post to too up fuel near Midwinter at kiosk, and only cost 400THB for about 16L. After that, check-in to lodging, and around 15min drive to visit chocolate factory.

All was smooth and Google Map is accurate and helpful

Jordan

Master Member
Reaction score
Yea, if you have the time, Saraburi Sunflower Field is a must go. But I didn't pay anything though. Just park my car at roadside, and walk in to take pictures. Lol!

yjx

Reaction score
Yea, if you have the time, Saraburi Sunflower Field is a must go. But I didn't pay anything though. Just park my car at roadside, and walk in to take pictures. Lol!

Haha, 10THB to help the local farmers, ok la.
There were 2 entrances with banners in Thai and “10”, and a tin cookie box, the guy mending the box just gesture us to contribute...

Went to the same field?

Jordan

Master Member
Reaction score
Not sure if we are referring to the same field. But the one I went to, has a step platform to take picture from the platform with birds eye view of the field, with some big Thai words on top of platform. And no, there were no farmers there who asked me for any money though. But I would have given them anyway :)

riieee

Reaction score
Would be going to Khao Yai and wondering did you all apply for the International Driving Permit? Avis said they don't need it but maybe traffic police will check?

And for the Saraburi sunflower field is it as shown in google map? So have to detour to go there before going khao yai?

I read that Pak Chong also have sunflower field but only say along the way can see. Thanks! :)

Jordan

Master Member
Reaction score
The one I went to was the centre one in your pic

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Iirc when i collect my car, I rmb I gave the idp to the car rental coy.

When I stop by police during road block, I also show idp then say Singaporean when they ask. Then police smile smile very happy then let me go liao.

Always use idp is better. It's only about 20 and last for a year. And apply and get on the spot one. No need wait.

Jordan

Master Member
Reaction score
Yeah I also applied for IDP.

riieee

Reaction score
Was thinking if IDP not mandatory then don't need apply and save the $20.
Shall go apply then. :s13:

jes205

Reaction score
was there beginning of the month. rented from National Car rental and just showed my sgp passport and driver's license.

yjx

Reaction score
Would be going to Khao Yai and wondering did you all apply for the International Driving Permit? Avis said they don't need it but maybe traffic police will check?

And for the Saraburi sunflower field is it as shown in google map? So have to detour to go there before going khao yai?

I read that Pak Chong also have sunflower field but only say along the way can see. Thanks! :)

I planned my trip that when I drive out, did a stopover at Tesco to stock up and quick bites, toilet, that is after 1hr drive.
Then sunflower, about 30min away. An finally MidWinter for late lunch.

Tesco:Tesco branch in Saraburi,
https://goo.gl/maps/7H8xxmuqtPx

Sunflower: Saraburi sunflower field
https://goo.gl/maps/i74q4Kkrqok

Both map location accurate. Followed bumblebeemom for the sunflower recommendation, which is along route 21, and the second one with more sunflowers. We strongly recommend, didn’t see such fields in Khao Yai itself.

Hope this helps. As IDL, we did have them, used to collect car, that’s all. No police stop at all.

Last edited:

yjx

Reaction score
27404392709_4d88ea539d_o_d.jpg

27404394499_f6bca29a42_o_d.jpg

27404396329_83e9e2cf1c_z_d.jpg

Share with you some low resolution images I took there...

Last edited:

Brubeck

Reaction score
Just came back. Picked up a car from Hertz Sathorn ofc and did a 2 days/1 night self-drive. Not sure about other rental coy but Hertz requires IDP.

MoraMora

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of renting a ride and exploring the northern places typically inaccessible to farangs due to lack of public transport.

Anyone have experience with driving in north?

happy_bear

Reaction score
Just came back. Picked up a car from Hertz Sathorn ofc and did a 2 days/1 night self-drive. Not sure about other rental coy but Hertz requires IDP.

Hi all, if i got idp but actual licence's photo faded off, will it be safe or it is preferred i redo my license ?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.