2.5 Gbps wired home network

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any routers around $300 range with 2.5g lan port??

BTW, there are more routers with 2.5Gbe WAN port.

TP-Link Archer AX6000 is at S$309.
https://www.hachi.tech/biz-solution...r-ax6000-next-gen-wi-fi-router--6935364099763

Unfortunately 2.5Gbe WAN port based router is not that useful to act as the main router in Singapore context because of the ISP 2Gbps plans are either aggregated 2Gbps or dual 1Gbps plan. It can be useful as a secondary router though after you establish the main 2.5G/5G/10G network.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
BTW, there are more routers with 2.5Gbe WAN port.

TP-Link Archer AX6000 is at S$309.
https://www.hachi.tech/biz-solution...r-ax6000-next-gen-wi-fi-router--6935364099763

Unfortunately 2.5Gbe WAN port based router is not that useful to act as the main router in Singapore context because of the ISP 2Gbps plans are either aggregated 2Gbps or dual 1Gbps plan. It can be useful as a secondary router though after you establish the main 2.5G/5G/10G network.
Most home user will not be able to fully utilise the 2Gbps and having more bandwidth not necessarily faster speed. The website used by user will also have control of the user's download and upload speed. Should do more research first.

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does those sfp+ 10GBase-T modules also support 2.5/5G speed? Or just 1G speed? I tried buying this tp-link switch after qnap ones become unavailable but always payment error on tmall/TB... wats wrong??

Not all. Some are only 1G or 10G. Some can do multi-G. Better to check the spec. Some allow firmware flash for better compatibility.

Just take note that not all SFP+ to RJ45 modules can work with all switches.

In my experience, Mikrotik, Ubiquiti, 10Gteck, Mellanox tends to be pretty good on compatibility with different kinds of switches.

Do take note that 10G SFP+ to RJ45 modules tend to run very hot. Try not to slot 2 modules close to each other and make sure the switches are located in well ventilated location.

Tu0FqT0.jpg

Another good solution on achieving solid 10G through your SFP+ cages are to use the low latency DAC cables. There will be much lesser heat issues.

From the picture, port 1,2 and 3 will be 10G DAC, SFP+ to 10G RJ45, 1G RJ45
3SVGcYT.jpg

Connect to NAS:
GaIpva4.jpg

For normal homes, I will go with 10G RJ45 connections since you can easily run Cat6/+ LAN cable around your house for 10G.

In my opinion, Mikrotik 10G switches gives one of the best value and reliability. SwOS is also easy to configure.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For normal homes, I will go with 10G RJ45 connections since you can easily run Cat6/+ LAN cable around your house for 10G.

In my opinion, Mikrotik 10G switches gives one of the best value and reliability. SwOS is also easy to configure.

For new houses, indeed it is good to go for CAT6 cabling to be future proof.

For those who use existing CAT5e network cabling, and for those who mainly use laptops, 2.5Gbe network is still much cheaper than 10Gbe. Only problem is lack of the 2.5Gbe enabled switch and router choices. Hopefully next year we will see more such product now that PC motherboards start to offer 2.5Gbe support.

As for ISPs, looks like no chance to get real 2Gbps plan any time soon. Still it is okay to use 1Gbps as the uplink.

Last edited:

destiny88

Reaction score
ya...sigh... maybe just wait for ISP to come out with plans that is actually 2.5g 1st

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For new houses, indeed it is good to go for CAT6 cabling to be future proof.

For those who use existing CAT5e network cabling, and for those who mainly use laptops, 2.5Gbe network is still much cheaper than 10Gbe. Only problem is lack of the 2.5Gbe enabled switch and router choices. Hopefully next year we will see more such product now that PC motherboards start to offer 2.5Gbe support.

As for ISPs, looks like no chance to get real 2Gbps plan any time soon. Still it is okay to use 1Gbps as the uplink.

Why so many home users so concern about getting more bandwidth? Please share. Thanks.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ya...sigh... maybe just wait for ISP to come out with plans that is actually 2.5g 1st

Even ISP came out 2.5 Gbps plan, also no 2.5 Gbps hardware. If use 10GbE hardware will be expensive. Actually for home use, 1Gbps is still ok.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why so many home users so concern about getting more bandwidth? Please share. Thanks.

To be future proof.

Anyway, gigabit home network is still okay.

But WiFi 6 now can be faster than 1 Gbps, PC motherboards start to have 2.5Gbps port, and NAS too. So 1Gbps LAN ports start to be the bottleneck.

There is a possibility that 2.5Gbps may get popular within next two to three years.

As for 10Gbps home network, it is not any time soon.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To be future proof.

Anyway, gigabit home network is still okay.

But WiFi 6 now can be faster than 1 Gbps, PC motherboards start to have 2.5Gbps port, and NAS too. So 1Gbps LAN ports start to be the bottleneck.

There is a possibility that 2.5Gbps may get popular within next two to three years.

As for 10Gbps home network, it is not any time soon.

Honestly even if ISP have 2.5 Gbps plan and there is 2.5 Gbps hardware available, i do not think most home users will take 2.5 Gbps plan as most people will not need so much bandwidth and having more bandwidth not necessarily faster speed. For me i do not think i will consider 2.5 Gbps even if ISP offer it as 1 Gbps will be cheaper to use. Also do not need it as 25 Mbps already can watch Netflix in 4k.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Honestly even if ISP have 2.5 Gbps plan and there is 2.5 Gbps hardware available, i do not think most home users will take 2.5 Gbps plan as most people will not need so much bandwidth and having more bandwidth not necessarily faster speed. For me i do not think i will consider 2.5 Gbps even if ISP offer it as 1 Gbps will be cheaper to use. Also do not need it as 25 Mbps already can watch Netflix in 4k.

There is a difference between LAN (home network) and WAN (Internet) here.

You can use 500Mbps internet yet have 10Gbps or 2.5Gbps home network, to have faster communication between desktops, laptops and NAS.

For example if you take high resolution 4k videos on the phone, then edit on the desktop/laptop and then archive in the home NAS, then the WAN speed does not matter but LAN speed matters.

Then when you want to upload to YouTube, WAN speed starts to matter.

Last edited:

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There is a difference between LAN (home network) and WAN (Internet) here.

You can use 500Mbps internet yet have 10Gbps or 2.5Gbps home network, to have faster communication between desktops, laptops and NAS.

For example if you take high resolution 4k videos on the phone, then edit on the desktop/laptop and then archive in the home NAS, then the WAN speed does not matter but LAN speed matters.

Then when you want to upload to YouTube, WAN speed starts to matter.
Correct.
I see.

alauz

Reaction score
Correct.
I see.

Actually I wired my BTO back in 2016 with Cat 6 cabling in anticipation of 10gbps networking only to kena stuck at 1gbps. But I am planning on going 2.5g and upgrade internet to 2 * 1g speed. Using Asus RU86 / Netgear RAX120/200 you can aggregate to 2g & connect the 2.5g wan/lan port over to 2.5g qnap switch I found on Amazon.sg around $169.

Basically give 2g wired internet speeds across my existing cat 6 infra. But need like $669 to execute.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've placed my order for the QNAP QSW-1105-5T, which will be in stock next week!

https://www.amazon.com/QNAP-QSW-1105-5T-5-Port-Unmanaged-2-5GbE/dp/B08F9ZL9LY/

Price:
~SGD$178 from Amazon.sg, inclusive of ~$15 shipping
~SGD$150 from Amazon, ship to U.S. address

Home fibre is still 1gbps, but at least I'll get a 2.5gbe between my rig and my unRaid setup

Nice. Please send the first hand experience once you receive it. Thanks.

I am waiting for my Mac Mini M1 to arrive to see if it works with the Ugreen Type C 2.5Gbpe adapter. Right now I only have plans to link the Windows 10 laptop (working with Ugreen USB Type A and Type C 2.5Gbe adapter). No need a switch in this case.

I have not decided to get a better NAS with 2.5Gbe support yet. So I am sitting in the fence of getting the 2.5Gbe switch.

My WD MyCloud 3TB personal NAS is under used as the photo backup function is limited. I am relying on free Google Photos for photo backup. But then Google just announced that down the road Google Photos will not be free. I have not decided to pay for Google Photos 2TB plan or getting a better NAS.

moron+genius

Reaction score
finally got my 2.5Gbps network up and running. I have a Qnap QSW-1105 in study and a Zyxel XGS-1210 in DB closet, both laptop and NAS are using Ugreen USB C 2.5Gbps ethernet adapters. So setup as such:
Laptop/TV/Shield -> QNAP -> Zyxel -> Router/NAS

So my issue is the speed... uploading to NAS gets 2.3Gbps which is great but downloading from NAS gets only ~1.2Gbps, i get ~800Mbps before this upgrading. Seems like there's something wrong with my laptop (LG 15Z96)??

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
finally got my 2.5Gbps network up and running. I have a Qnap QSW-1105 in study and a Zyxel XGS-1210 in DB closet, both laptop and NAS are using Ugreen USB C 2.5Gbps ethernet adapters. So setup as such:

So my issue is the speed... uploading to NAS gets 2.3Gbps which is great but downloading from NAS gets only ~1.2Gbps, i get ~800Mbps before this upgrading. Seems like there's something wrong with my laptop (LG 15Z96)??

Nice updates.

The LG15Z96 indeed could be a limiting factor as it is a 2016 laptop.

You can try benchmarking your laptop SSD performance to see if that is fast enough.

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

are you only user? maybe got other services running?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.