2019/2020 Samsung QLED TV Discussion Thread

aErOpLaNe911

Reaction score
A Carousell seller assured me all his Samsung QN90A are VA panels, and are local sets.

That's hogwash, is it?

badbad2000

Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for this discussion and all the great info shared. I’m looking to get an 85” TV.

Looking at the QN90A from Samsung or the X95J from Sony. (Not sure if the latter is already available locally?)

1. Do you know why the QN90A has such a high markup locally? (~10k USD instead of $4k USD in the USA).

2. Do we know for sure if the local QN90A has a VA panel at 85”?

3. For a 4K content use (mostly the usual streaming services), and PS5 games, which one of the two models would you recommend? I’m not sure if Dolby Vision is a must?

Any advice on the purchase you’d go for if you were in my shoes would be super appreciated.

If you think there’s a less recent model that would be a better choice for this size, I’m all ears! I’d like a recent model so the build quality and technology can resist the passing of time but I’m not an expert at all, so maybe there’s better series or models from previous years at this size?
2. you can refer post #146, most likely VA panel

Do you watch often in dim and dark room? if Yes Samsung maybe better. but if need to pay such price for QN90A I will rather go for OLED 77". Unless you really need 85" then X95J.

Last edited:

zzsomz

Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for this discussion and all the great info shared. I’m looking to get an 85” TV.

Looking at the QN90A from Samsung or the X95J from Sony. (Not sure if the latter is already available locally?)

1. Do you know why the QN90A has such a high markup locally? (~10k USD instead of $4k USD in the USA).

2. Do we know for sure if the local QN90A has a VA panel at 85”?

3. For a 4K content use (mostly the usual streaming services), and PS5 games, which one of the two models would you recommend? I’m not sure if Dolby Vision is a must?

Any advice on the purchase you’d go for if you were in my shoes would be super appreciated.

If you think there’s a less recent model that would be a better choice for this size, I’m all ears! I’d like a recent model so the build quality and technology can resist the passing of time but I’m not an expert at all, so maybe there’s better series or models from previous years at this size?
85QN90A is most likely not a VA panel, 83" C1 is around the same price range as 85QN90A so I would recommend that instead or if you're afraid of burn in / too pricey, sony 85x95J is the next best model.

O'Ren~

Reaction score
2. you can refer post #146, most likely VA panel

Do you watch often in dim and dark room? if Yes Samsung maybe better. but if need to pay such price for QN90A I will rather go for OLED 77". Unless you really need 85" then X95J.
Thank you! I thought the QN90A was better for very well lit rooms? That’s my current situation, as watching mostly during day time weekends.
And yes, I’m stuck on 85” :)
Regarding VA vs IPS: thanks for the post reference, I read that whole discussion but was hoping someone here bought the 85” and can confirm for us by looking at their sticker!

Last edited:

O'Ren~

Reaction score
85QN90A is most likely not a VA panel, 83" C1 is around the same price range as 85QN90A so I would recommend that instead or if you're afraid of burn in / too pricey, sony 85x95J is the next best model.
Thank you! I’m waiting indeed to see RTings reviews on the x95j..
It’s a bit silly but I really want an 85” and not smaller even if 2 inches might not be a big deal. But damn the Samsung price is ridiculously high.. whoever is importing them for Singapore is making a huge markup..

O'Ren~

Reaction score
A Carousell seller assured me all his Samsung QN90A are VA panels, and are local sets.

That's hogwash, is it?
I have a feeling it depends on the size. I think the 65” and below might be IPS and 85” might be VA. Only sure way to know is looking at the version number on the sticker at the back of the TV.

badbad2000

Reaction score
Thank you! I thought the QN90A was better for very well lit rooms? That’s my current situation, as watching mostly during day time weekends.
And yes, I’m stuck on 85” :)
Regarding VA vs IPS: thanks for the post reference, I read that whole discussion but was hoping someone here bought the 85” and can confirm for us by looking at their sticker!
What I like about QN90A is very thin panel. Will look very nice when mount on wall.

aErOpLaNe911

Reaction score
Best Denki Vivocity 65QN90A has reference number starting with B. So it's IPS panel, and not VA panel.

james112

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am getting The Frame 55" 2021 soon, and a pwp of HW-A450 sound bar.
I use TV mainly for youtube, tv show or at most drama.

I understand that flat TV normally have bad sound so op for pwp of an entry level sound bar, but it seems like the Frame has quite good built in sound system as well.

So would like to seek advice on
1. Does The Frame 55" 2021 requires external sound bar?
2. Will A450 compliments the sound system, or actually worse than the built in system, making it a bad choice?
Thanks!

petetherock

Reaction score

aerolord

Master Member
Reaction score
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/ips-led-vs-va-lcd#:~:text=A VA panel usually has,color gamut, or color accuracy. A VA panel usually has a high contrast ratio and narrow viewing angles. However, an IPS panel has low contrast and wide viewing angles. These are the main differences between each, and for the most part, panel type doesn't affect other aspects of picture quality, like peak brightness, color gamut, or color accuracy.
That's was my understanding as well. Because right now I'm in the market for a monitor.

We all know the basic - VA better contrast etc, IPS better response time etc etc.

But what I found out is that IPS are generally more expensive to produce. Which caught my curiosity why people felt that they are being "short-changed" when their TV is IPS panel.

But yes I do understand both are in different market. ie TV more for content hence VA are generally preferred, while monitor are more for competitve gaming, hence response time are priority to them.

Just find it interesting that both side tend to have their own thinking.

mitch92

Reaction score
Hi all! I wanna buy a new television before next year CNY. Looking at the QN90A and LG C1. Does it makes more sense to buy during Black Friday for better deals or wait till Jan 2022 for further price drops?

Citiguy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cleaning water marked, then go to the store found item is no more there.
Oh... thanks for sharing.

When my TV was delivered to me, there was a giant plastic sheet that needed to be peeled off.

mitch92

Reaction score
Is there even VA panels for QN90A 55" in Singapore? I thought it was mixed but majority I see in stores are IPS.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.