3 room vs 4 room quandary

Needmysleep

Reaction score
This is probably a financial question but would anyone choose a 3 room with good location and price over a 4 room ( price difference around 150 - 200k! ) .
Was initially looking at 4-5 room flats as they are well within range of my HLE but rethinking after seeing the price of the 3 room.
1 earning member with 2 dependants only including a kid + pets :D
Age late 30s

No other loans at the moment but looking to buy a car in maybe 2 years +

Seems financially the prudent thing to do with regards to renovation etc

Of course all this depends on getting a good queue number in the OBF application.

Thoughts ?

tkdboi

Master Member
Reaction score
This is probably a financial question but would anyone choose a 3 room with good location and price over a 4 room ( price difference around 150 - 200k! ) .
Was initially looking at 4-5 room flats as they are well within range of my HLE but rethinking after seeing the price of the 3 room.
1 earning member with 2 dependants only
including a kid + pets
:D
Age late 30s
Of course all this depends on getting a good queue number in the OBF application.
Thoughts ?

I dun think it's a financial question only.
do you plan to have more kids? and what kind of pets do u have? will you need the space in a few years time whether for work, kids study space etc?

If no, then I guess u just need to weigh the time and convenience of the good location which I feel is always welcome.

being able to shave more half your daily commute time is a godsend and something sometimes a car won't necessarily address as traffic can be bad and make the peak hour driving just as time consuming and tiring.

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

Needmysleep

Reaction score
I dun think it's a financial question only.
do you plan to have more kids? and what kind of pets do u have? will you need the space in a few years time whether for work, kids study space etc?

If no, then I guess u just need to weigh the time and convenience of the good location which I feel is always welcome.

being able to shave more half your daily commute time is a godsend and something sometimes a car won't necessarily address as traffic can be bad and make the peak hour driving just as time consuming and tiring.

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

Was just thinking of being able to clear the loan faster . Put the money towards something else .

I don't work from home and study room can be the bedroom.

Looking for alternative view points although each person's requirements can be quite different I guess.

tkdboi

Master Member
Reaction score
Was just thinking of being able to clear the loan faster . Put the money towards something else .
I don't work from home and study room can be the bedroom.
Looking for alternative view points although each person's requirements can be quite different I guess.

yup more impt is it fits your needs. if you dun see your family expanding and or needing that extra space then of course why pay more for it.

just calling out though that there are hidden Costs to moving later due to lack of space especially if u sunk in a lot of money on Reno on the current place.

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

glorfindel

Master Member
Reaction score
Age late 30s

Thoughts ?

I don't know about open booking, but your chances of getting a unit from SBF and BTO is greatly increased if you ballot for a 3-room. Perhaps that's the main advantage over booking 4 room, and not really about the savings.

googoogaga

Reaction score
Age late 30s

Thoughts ?
Car and financial prudence should not be in the same sentence unless there is a not in between. Rent one if you need.
Use the balance for a 4RM flat. You make money by getting the item that is popular. Clearly 4RM is more popular.

Needmysleep

Reaction score
Car and financial prudence should not be in the same sentence unless there is a not in between. Rent one if you need.
Use the balance for a 4RM flat. You make money by getting the item that is popular. Clearly 4RM is more popular.

Agree with the first line . However , purchase of car is based on potential future earnings only. I did have an ' expensive ' car for 7 years but just sold it to consolidate finances..etc

I CAN at this point of time make enough downpayment for a 4-5 room + renovation if bought from OBF/SBF ( not resale ) . Was wondering whether 3 room is too small for 3 people. The 3rd bedroom in my current rental is just full of junk and kept like a store room :rolleyes: while the other rooms are neat and cared for like my own home would be.

Seems like most people would take a 4 room if they can get it!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.