$4k. Looking to invest in VUSD vs VOO

sgarxen

Reaction score
Yes, if you’re making one London listed ETF purchase per month or more, in any amount, IB wins the cost comparison. However, you wouldn’t actually do that until your savings flow is higher. You’d batch up your fund purchases into bimonthly, quarterly, semiannual, or even annual purchases to balance the minimum Standard Chartered commission (US$10.70) with the goal of getting in the market. There is an average cost to being out of the market, though, so that’s part of how you balance costs.

Got it, thank you :)

To a degree, but while you’re under age 26 the minimum activity fee is actually about US$0.90 lower than a currency conversion (US$2) plus fund purchase commission (US$1.90 or so — and I got that slightly wrong, there’s actually about 20 cents of additional cost there, I believe).

Yo I'm not getting this. Where do u get the numbers from? I'm trying to find them on IBKR website https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=1590&p=stocks1 but I can't find them.

So if you’re doing both in the same month, actual commissions will apply instead of the minimum. Consequently if you want to save about 90 cents you can do one or the other but not both. And therefore it could make a little bit of cents (pun intended) to not do both every month. Also, during the first three months after account opening — precisely when you’ll be investing the S$4,000 — there is no minimum activity fee.

Anyway, 2 installments or maybe 3 feels about right to me for that S$4,000, but I wouldn’t go crazy. You’re going to be spending the next few decades saving and investing, presumably, so it’s not going to matter whether that S$4,000 goes in all at once, in halves, in thirds, or in quarters.

ba dum tss

Thanks!

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have both VOO and VUSD. Personally I feel VOO seems to increase more than VUSD. On some days, I observed that VOO may increase for 2 consecutive days in a row whereas VUSD may drop during that 2 days. Seriously I don’t know why. Since you are a student, I think you can go for the FSM regular savings plan and buy VOO monthly for a start. The estate tax don’t kick in until your portfolio is more than US$60k. You can also concurrently go for IWDA for lower tax. I think the tax consideration is more if you kicked the bucket suddenly. As one retires, you may sell some of your portfolio and bring the money back to SGX. The tax may not impact you unless one suddenly kicked the bucket due to accident or air crash

GreggMQ

Reaction score
I have both VOO and VUSD. Personally I feel VOO seems to increase more than VUSD. On some days, I observed that VOO may increase for 2 consecutive days in a row whereas VUSD may drop during that 2 days. Seriously I don’t know why. Since you are a student, I think you can go for the FSM regular savings plan and buy VOO monthly for a start. The estate tax don’t kick in until your portfolio is more than US$60k. You can also concurrently go for IWDA for lower tax. I think the tax consideration is more if you kicked the bucket suddenly. As one retires, you may sell some of your portfolio and bring the money back to SGX. The tax may not impact you unless one suddenly kicked the bucket due to accident or air crash

I have the same situation, but I always consider about changing cryptocurrency which I want to use for investments. I could find a lot of really useful Bitcoin investment sites like this ( url: https://allcryptolive.com/2020/06/23/how-to-invest-in-cryptocurrency/ ), which allow people understand in which moment they should convert their currency or invest in the most profitable thing.

Last edited:

Kaypohji

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cspx>vusd>voo... I was deciding about this previously. U just go download data and plot the market prices on the chart and u can see the trend.. whether they move tgt or they don’t etc

But cspx has a wider bid ask spread though
Voo has highest liquidity and narrowest bid ask spread

I find estate tax a smaller prob if u don’t exceed 60k or that if u do, u intend to withdraw down eventually when u get old(provided u don’t suddenly uplorry)
But the dividends has a perpetual 15% more WHT. So even u hold only 50k usd worth of voo... ur dividends every year of this holding is taxed 30% perpetually... u calculate that 15% more will cost u how much in the long run lor

I find ter a lesser concern because it has already been reflected in the market price

Last edited:

softwareengineer

Reaction score
Hi, for investing in VOO - is tiger or tdameritrade good?

plan to invest adhoc (when there is fall) and also monthly a small amount.

Please advise. Thanks

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.