4K with DLSS vs 1080P (native) - FPS and Image quality

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have recently started playing metro exodus enhanced edition and I was pretty disappointed with the graphics when I set everything to max at my native resolution 1080p. This was without DLSS or VRS so it should look the best, or at least that's what I thought.

So I went to enable DSR to upscale my resolution to 4k and enabled DLSS to see if there are any big differences. Well anyway I found the results pretty interesting so I've decided to share them.

4K DLSS
njuqzgB.jpg

1080P
doFVXUE.jpg

4K DLSS

YRJFfhQ.jpg

1080P
nLU1gQH.jpg

4K DLSS
Yert4JO.jpg

1080P
ZNB9svS.jpg

FPS Differences:
4K DLSS
MKmle2q.jpg

1080P
eq2qKNS.jpg

Rogue

Reaction score
Some blur for 4k dlss. Like some spots seem to have lens where it's out of focus...

Did anyone do a reshade comparison, downsampling and use a sharpening filter?

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some blur for 4k dlss. Like some spots seem to have lens where it's out of focus...

Did anyone do a reshade comparison, downsampling and use a sharpening filter?
Personally i think 4K DLSS looks a lot sharper especially in the distance where the anti-aliasing effect looks the most obvious. Take a look at the 2nd scene where the bald tree in the middle looks like it has grown more branches in the 4k shot.

halogruntythirst

Reaction score
Does DLSS Quality just run it as close as possible to set resolution? If so, how is it that 4K DLSS achieves a better avg frame rate than 1080p?

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does DLSS Quality just run it as close as possible to set resolution? If so, how is it that 4K DLSS achieves a better avg frame rate than 1080p?
Honestly I have no idea. DLSS Quality, Balanced and Performance should be rendering at 1447p, 1253p and 1080p respectively. Technically it should still have lower avg FPS than 1080p but the numbers dont seem to add up. The fact that those screenshots are at 4k resolution and the fact that it does indeed look better than the 1080p ones don't lie. So I really have no clue why it also runs better than 1080p native.

Phen8210

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the performance quality not render at 720P?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.