55inch TV + 3.1/2.1 Setup Recommendations

crinkypeanut

Reaction score
I'm looking for some recommendations for a 3.1/2.1 Speaker + Receiver + Tv. My budget is ~1k -1.2k for the whole setup. Honestly, I'm still quite new to all of this. I initially considered just getting a brand name (Sony, LG etc) Tv and a soundbar but once I got into reading more I realised that brands such as TCL and Xiaomi are better value and 2.1 systems are alot better than your typical soundbar.

As of now I have narrowed my options down to

TV: Xiaomi 4S TCL C715, initially I also considered the TCL R635 because of all the great reviews I saw for it plus it has a mini led backlight but it seems that model is unavailable in Singapore. Right now I'm leaning towards Xiaomi since it fits more into my budget and I'm not too sure how the support might be from TCL since all I've seen are Carousell sellers importing them.

AVR: Quite clueless on the choice for this or if this is even necessary. 5.1 one would be enough, 3.1 is all I need but I heard 3.1 avrs are hard to come by. I don't intend on ever upgrading from 3.1 since my living room is quite small and one side is completely open and the other side is windows.

Speakers: Ideally I would like a 3.1 setup with bookshelf speakers but if that's too expensive I'll settle for 2.1 with possibility of adding a center in the future.

In the beginning, I was looking on reddit for recommendations but I realised that majority of the models recommended there were hard to ship to SG and at the same time I was worried that the electrical systems might not match properly. Like I said I'm new to all of this and only did abit of research so far. I'm willing to hear any advice or recommendations from any gurus here :s12:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Xiaomi 4S Is like $550, leaving $650 for AVR and 2.1 speakers
U open to used?

AVR is like $350 new
https://www.lazada.sg/products/denon-avr-x250bt-51ch-av-surround-receiver-with-bluetooth-i247228967-s382638213.html?

Dude here got a 12” sub overseas for like $380
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/home-theatre-audiophiles-13/switching-220v-us-import-klipsch-subwoofer-6409790.html#post131449605

If u open to used speakers you can find good deals
https://www.carousell.sg/p/jamo-s606-home-cinema-theater-system-speaker-1056327302/

Last edited:

petetherock

Reaction score
Yep I don't mind used speakers, 5.1 might be too much for me because I don't have alot of space in my living room

No space and a modest budget?
Get a soundbar instead or a pair of powered speakers like the Klipsch RPM41 or even a HK soundstick.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yep I don't mind used speakers, 5.1 might be too much for me because I don't have alot of space in my living room

Comb for a 3.1 option to show up.
U can start with stereo first and add center and sub later as deals show up. Things come and go

crinkypeanut

Reaction score
Around $600 can buy pioneer htp-076.
I have no comments about TV at budget price so leave it
to others to comment.

This might just be my impression but wouldn't it be better to get dedicated bookshelf speakers. Speaking from experience in other hobbies, it seems these kinds of "bundle sets" are typically lower quality and just sold to fit a particular need e.g 5.1 system. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though

crinkypeanut

Reaction score
No space and a modest budget?
Get a soundbar instead or a pair of powered speakers like the Klipsch RPM41 or even a HK soundstick.

I think I would prefer the Klipsch, I like the look of it as well. What would be a good sub/center to look out for in the future to pair with it? Honestly, I'd like to at least start with a 2.1 system

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think I would prefer the Klipsch, I like the look of it as well. What would be a good sub/center to look out for in the future to pair with it? Honestly, I'd like to at least start with a 2.1 system

Klipsch RPM41 are powers you don’t need a AVR to drive
If you want a passive then maybe R-51M
https://www.klipsch.com/products/r-51m-bookshelf-speaker

Or JBL A120 or Jamo C 93 II
https://www.jbl.com.sg/loudspeakers/STAGE+A120.html?

Last edited:

benedium

Banned
Reaction score

Careful... u have to decide if u are going for av receiver and passive speakers or just powered speaker. Av receiver let's u connect by hdmi and connect other speakers. Powered stereo speakers can be cheaper but less flexible and a bit inconvenient. Passive speakers u can buy 2nd hand but subwoofer best buy new with warranty.

Last edited:

crinkypeanut

Reaction score
Klipsch RPM41 are powers you don’t need a AVR to drive
If you want a passive then maybe R-51M

Or JBL A120 or Jamo C 93 II

AVR can link up all the devices via ARC and then use one remote via CEC. I assume they also have the benefit of greater expandability. What other benefits are there for getting an AVR? I plan to hook up a few more devices, e.g console, maybe a pc. Also does anyone have experience with hooking up your HT system to your NAS with plex to stream from your own library? Saw some Youtubers doing it and thought it would be quite nice as I have some favourites of mine that I don't expect to stay on streaming services forever and I'd prefer digital storage than using physical media like blu rays etc

crinkypeanut

Reaction score
Careful... u have to decide if u are going for av receiver and passive speakers or just powered speaker. Av receiver let's u connect by hdmi and connect other speakers. Powered stereo speakers can be cheaper but less flexible and a bit inconvenient. Passive speakers u can buy 2nd hand but subwoofer best buy new with warranty.

What's the implications with subwoofers, are they more likely to get damaged?

crinkypeanut

Reaction score
Yes correct bundle sets are usually entry/beginner.
Take note soundbar and AVR can use HDMI connection so you
can control both TV and sound system using one remote.

Some Bookshelf speaker use Optical out, you have to individually
control TV and the bookshelf speaker.
I would recommend you to consider a soundbar and AVR.

I thought can just control the speakers via the AVR? Don't soundbars also have built in receivers is it necessary to get another receiver on top of that?

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I thought can just control the speakers via the AVR? Don't soundbars also have built in receivers is it necessary to get another receiver on top of that?

Soundbar and AVR can use HDMI ARC.
Did I type wrongly?
I only mention Bookshelf speaker cannot use HDMI ARC cuz
most are using optical out.

benedium

Banned
Reaction score
What's the implications with subwoofers, are they more likely to get damaged?

Not so much damaged physically but because they have powered electronics like built in amplifier, they may not last as long as passive speakers. So if somehow u are tempted by a good deal make sure the model is not too old or preferably still covered by warranty. Repairs may not be worth it or even possible sometimes.

crinkypeanut

Reaction score
Not so much damaged physically but because they have powered electronics like built in amplifier, they may not last as long as passive speakers. So if somehow u are tempted by a good deal make sure the model is not too old or preferably still covered by warranty. Repairs may not be worth it or even possible sometimes.
Any recommendations for subwoofers? After some reading I might be considering the Sony SS CS5 or Creative X7 for stereo, though I also read about offerings from Micca. Has anyone had any experience with importing speakers?

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for subwoofers? After some reading I might be considering the Sony SS CS5 or Creative X7 for stereo, though I also read about offerings from Micca. Has anyone had any experience with importing speakers?

If you read, this dude just imported a 12” sub for cheap
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/home-theatre-audiophiles-13/switching-220v-us-import-klipsch-subwoofer-6409790.html

A fun read if you thinking of Sony at $350
https://www.cnet.com/news/the-audiophiliacs-top-10-speakers-from-40-to-400/

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR was retailing at $400 then not sure if You can find them around, USA if you can import just usd$75
http://singaporehifi.blogspot.com/2014/12/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-speakers.html?m=1

Last edited:

crinkypeanut

Reaction score
Which amp are you pairing with?
If you really keen in Bookshelf setup, you can consider
Denon D-M41.

I would suggest opt for a soundbar instead cuz if you are intending
to playback Netflix movies in Dolby surround.
Bookshelf/Hifi like this type of setup, you won't feel the surround effect.

For such setup adding a bass to a setup like this, it only improve bass response.
AVR wise the subwoofer out is called LFE, LFE means this channel is
intended for low frequency like rumble, earthquake, explosion etc.

Totally different Bookshelf is more focus on Stereo Left and Right suitable for music but not movies/videos.
Soundbar/AVR more focus on surround, the sub wise add effects to the surround so not just improve bass.

FYI soundbar have different modes, music, game, movies and etc.
Yamaha, LG and Sony soundbar you can consider.
Go to nearby Harvey Norman bring your favorite music test.

I planned to stick with the internal amp on the AVR for the X250BT 130W per channel should be enough? On the Sony website it states "max input power of 100w". I think after reading more, I would prefer 2.1 or 3.1 setup compared to a soundbar. I doubt I'll be going for the bundle sets that you've been recommending. The rough sentiment I'm getting is that these aren't that good value and I don't mind getting used bookshelf speakers anyways

crinkypeanut

Reaction score
If you read, this dude just imported a 12” sub for cheap

A fun read if you thinking of Sony at $350

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR was retailing at $400 then not sure if You can find them around, USA if you can import just usd$75

Alright thanks for the info, I guess for any audio equipment I import I'll have to check how the voltage pairs. For those that don't match need to get a transformer for it?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.