Adult Circumcision [Singapore experience]

throwaway_2000

Reaction score
I understand. Is it possible to even get it done within less than 6 months? Like how quick was it to arrange for an appointment?
Hey, I'm in the same boat as you, NSF with less than 4 months to ORD. In response to your previous question about whether 11B covers it, it covers if your procedure is done before ORD.

Here's my timeline:

12 Jan - Polyclinic appointment
09 Mar - Urology Consult
05 May - Anesthesia Assessment
19 May - Surgery

timeline can be adjusted by about 2 weeks because of my covid scare that delayed my original urology consult.

1. Make an appointment/walk-in to any polyclinic
I made an appointment via Health Buddy app at Eunos Polyclinic (relatively new so more slots) on 12 Jan 22 and headed down. Just describe to the doctor if you have phimosis (tight foreskin) or balanitis (inflammation) and then hear what the doctor has to say. Usually they'll recommend circumcision for phimosis but don't quote me, if unsure just ask the doctor. In my case, I just told him had tight foreskin, painful during erections and I wanted to see a urologist. The doctor will then ask where you want to get it done, in my case I chose the closest hospital to my home and then he'll write a referral for you. Then you'll go to the nurse who will help you book an appointment with the hospital you chose and give you a urology consult date.

2. Urology Consult at Hospital
I had an appointment originally booked for 15 Feb, so roughly a month after my polyclinic consult, but had to reschedule 9 Mar because of a covid scare. During my appointment, I just described the same thing as when I went for my polyclinic consult and told her I ORD in Jul. She recommended circumcision and said she'd try to slot me earliest before my ORD, at that time was 19 May. She told me still need to watch the covid situation because circumcision considered elective surgery, so it'll be the first surgery to be cancelled if there's a huge spike resulting in limited medical resources. Then I was taken to a room and then did a physical exam (height weight all that) followed by financial counselling and signing of authorization form for the procedure.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
From this point on is what would've happened based on what I was briefed on by the financial counsellor/nurse, but after reading this forum and checking with my insurance agent if my Integrated Shield Plan covered circumcision, I ultimately decided to go to a private hospital to do it since it was covered and more or less won't be cancelled due to uncertainties due to the pandemic.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3. Pre-admission Anesthesiology Assessment Appointment
As the surgery will be done with GA, I was told I had to come down about 2 weeks before the surgery date
(5 May) to do an assessment of suitability for GA. Most pass this but its just to see how much anesthetic is needed and whether you can take it, just a general blood test I assume.

4. Surgery
Basically fast on the day itself, there are different instructions for surgeries conducted in the morning and late afternoon. I was never assigned a time, just a date because they had not firmed up the operating schedule. I was told they would inform me nearer to the date. Surgery should take 30min - 1h and then after you wake up you'll need to pass the test, which is to urinate, then collect medicine then can discharge alr. You'll need somebody to pick you up, so you dont have to go walking around to the pharmacy and all.

Final Notes
I just want to thank the people that have contributed to this forum in any way over the last few years, whether it be asking or answering. I started looking for solutions to phimosis at the beginning of my ns life, and came across this thread. Took me close to a year to seriously start considering circumcision as a last resort because of discomfort when erect and other issues. This thread really helped me understand that this was a medical issue and I wasn't just facing it alone. I have mine scheduled in Apr now and will post updates/seek help then. Really thanks to all of you for contributing to this somewhat "unspoken of" issue.

Last edited:

Hridnfingigkgngkg

Reaction score
Hey, I'm in the same boat as you, NSF with less than 4 months to ORD. In response to your previous question about whether 11B covers it, it covers if your procedure is done before ORD.

Here's my timeline:

12 Jan - Polyclinic appointment
09 Mar - Urology Consult
05 May - Anesthesia Assessment
19 May - Surgery

timeline can be adjusted by about 2 weeks because of my covid scare that delayed my original urology consult.

1. Make an appointment/walk-in to any polyclinic
I made an appointment via Health Buddy app at Eunos Polyclinic (relatively new so more slots) on 12 Jan 22 and headed down. Just describe to the doctor if you have phimosis (tight foreskin) or balanitis (inflammation) and then hear what the doctor has to say. Usually they'll recommend circumcision for phimosis but don't quote me, if unsure just ask the doctor. In my case, I just told him had tight foreskin, painful during erections and I wanted to see a urologist. The doctor will then ask where you want to get it done, in my case I chose the closest hospital to my home and then he'll write a referral for you. Then you'll go to the nurse who will help you book an appointment with the hospital you chose and give you a urology consult date.

2. Urology Consult at Hospital
I had an appointment originally booked for 15 Feb, so roughly a month after my polyclinic consult, but had to reschedule 9 Mar because of a covid scare. During my appointment, I just described the same thing as when I went for my polyclinic consult and told her I ORD in Jul. She recommended circumcision and said she'd try to slot me earliest before my ORD, at that time was 19 May. She told me still need to watch the covid situation because circumcision considered elective surgery, so it'll be the first surgery to be cancelled if there's a huge spike resulting in limited medical resources. Then I was taken to a room and then did a physical exam (height weight all that) followed by financial counselling and signing of authorization form for the procedure.

From this point on is what would've happened based on what I was briefed on by the financial counsellor/nurse, but after reading this forum and checking with my insurance agent if my Integrated Shield Plan covered circumcision, I ultimately decided to go to a private hospital to do it since it was covered and more or less won't be cancelled due to uncertainties due to the pandemic.

3. Pre-admission Anesthesiology Assessment Appointment
As the surgery will be done with GA, I was told I had to come down about 2 weeks before the surgery date
(5 May) to do an assessment of suitability for GA. Most pass this but its just to see how much anesthetic is needed and whether you can take it, just a general blood test I assume.

4. Surgery
Basically fast on the day itself, there are different instructions for surgeries conducted in the morning and late afternoon. I was never assigned a time, just a date because they had not firmed up the operating schedule. I was told they would inform me nearer to the date. Surgery should take 30min - 1h and then after you wake up you'll need to pass the test, which is to urinate, then collect medicine then can discharge alr. You'll need somebody to pick you up, so you dont have to go walking around to the pharmacy and all.

Final Notes
I just want to thank the people that have contributed to this forum in any way over the last few years, whether it be asking or answering. I started looking for solutions to phimosis at the beginning of my ns life, and came across this thread. Took me close to a year to seriously start considering circumcision as a last resort because of discomfort when erect and other issues. This thread really helped me understand that this was a medical issue and I wasn't just facing it alone. I have mine scheduled in Apr now and will post updates/seek help then. Really thanks to all of you for contributing to this somewhat "unspoken of" issue.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Just have some questions.

1. Were you given the earliest surgery date when you were following through at the govt hospital?
2. Would it be possible to still get it done even if it is not recommended for you?
3. How long is the projected recovery period after the surgery?

Thank you.

ilovemala

Reaction score
Hey guys, i am going for my circumcision surgery soon. Just wish to check w bros that have done it.

Normally how many days after ur surgery then u start bathing.

And where to find waterproof protector that can cover the penis area, so that it dont get wet when we bath.

throwaway_2000

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your experience. Just have some questions.

1. Were you given the earliest surgery date when you were following through at the govt hospital?
2. Would it be possible to still get it done even if it is not recommended for you?
3. How long is the projected recovery period after the surgery?

Thank you.

1. Yeah that was the earliest date at the time, the doctor originally had some doubt about how soon I could go for the procedure, but after telling her I wanted to use my 11B benefits before I ORD, I think she slotted me at an earlier date due to the "urgency" of it. If you don't manage to do it by ORD, the costs are about 300 SGD btw, which can be paid using Medisave (both yours and your parents one can be used)

2. I'm pretty sure you could, just tell the doctor its uncomfortable and that you're keen on circumcision if your mind is already set like that. They will usually just oblige with the patient's request.

3. I think this varies from person to person but since you're doing it during NS there's no real worry, doctor said could just extend mc if its pain/affecting movement. The doctor said usually people come in on Thursday for the procedure, then by Monday they can start walking around normally and commuting alr, but of course there are a few factors at play, such as whether you were able to pull the foreskin back before will determine how sensitive your penis head is after circumcision, whether there are complications, and your own pain tolerance as well. 4-6 weeks for full recovery and can resume sexual activity according to the doctor.

Hridnfingigkgngkg

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just an update. I went to see the urologist. He said that my frenulum is tight and recommended either removing it or going for circumcision. I opted for circumcision and managed to get a date before my ORD, but it is gonna be less than 2 weeks before my ORD date.

1. Would it be possible to be healed within the 7 days of MC? Like to the point where I can walk around and do normal stuff etc.
2. The doctor did not let me choose the type of cut I am getting. He just said he will remove everything when I told him that i wanted as much skin removed cause hygeine. Is that normal?
3. Should I try other hospitals to see if they will give me an earlier date?

Thank you guys for your advice!

Last edited:

throwaway_2000

Reaction score
Hi, I just went for my circumcision surgery on Monday (11 Apr) so take what I say with a pinch of salt:

1. It would take 4-6 weeks for fully healed, meaning can resume strenuous/sexual activity. For walking around, I was able to walk right after the surgery, albeit extremely slow because I didn't want to move too much. I was given 1 week MC only, but most likely gonna extend since my office requires me to climb up 4 flight of stairs and dont have a lift. Doctor originally offered 3 days ah, you can refer to my previous message on recovery and what some people do. I'm on day 3 now, and I think there's an important distinction between pain and sensitivity, my pain scale probably 1/10 but the head is extremely sensitive (therefore uncomfortable to walk), recommend getting some tight boxer briefs with AIRism material so it doesnt stick but keeps your penis secured.

2. I didn't even bother asking, but turns out he left my frenulum intact. Whether him removing everything is normal I don't really know, but pretty sure you can discuss what style you want, though your mileage may vary if you're going to public hospital.

3. If your insurance covers circumcision and you can afford around 500 in medisave and about 300 more increase in the following year premium, by all means go and check other private hospitals. Not so sure public hospitals will do the same, unless you try your luck by going to a different hospital system (e.g. NHG, NUHS, SingHealth). I think by the time you get your urology consult with the public side probably will be later than your current date. I suggest calling the appointment hotline daily and just checking if there are cancellations or earlier slots.

Hridnfingigkgngkg

Reaction score
Hi, I just went for my circumcision surgery on Monday (11 Apr) so take what I say with a pinch of salt:

1. It would take 4-6 weeks for fully healed, meaning can resume strenuous/sexual activity. For walking around, I was able to walk right after the surgery, albeit extremely slow because I didn't want to move too much. I was given 1 week MC only, but most likely gonna extend since my office requires me to climb up 4 flight of stairs and dont have a lift. Doctor originally offered 3 days ah, you can refer to my previous message on recovery and what some people do. I'm on day 3 now, and I think there's an important distinction between pain and sensitivity, my pain scale probably 1/10 but the head is extremely sensitive (therefore uncomfortable to walk), recommend getting some tight boxer briefs with AIRism material so it doesnt stick but keeps your penis secured.

2. I didn't even bother asking, but turns out he left my frenulum intact. Whether him removing everything is normal I don't really know, but pretty sure you can discuss what style you want, though your mileage may vary if you're going to public hospital.

3. If your insurance covers circumcision and you can afford around 500 in medisave and about 300 more increase in the following year premium, by all means go and check other private hospitals. Not so sure public hospitals will do the same, unless you try your luck by going to a different hospital system (e.g. NHG, NUHS, SingHealth). I think by the time you get your urology consult with the public side probably will be later than your current date. I suggest calling the appointment hotline daily and just checking if there are cancellations or earlier slots.
Thank you for your response!

1. I hope I wont be that sensitive cause my glans is always exposed as short foreskin. By any chance, do you have any other recommendations other than Airism? I am currently wearing UA breathable Boxerjocks. Because Airism ones are not so budget friendly and I would like to keep the underwear long after my circumcision and I am scared that blood stains will ruin it.

2. I will definitely book another appointment with my urologist at the first hospital if I have to go through surgery there. If I can get an earlier date at another hospital, I will seek advice and clarifications there. I really hope that I do have a choice in cut type haha.

3. My urologist appointment at the second hospital is in the following week. Fingers crossed that I can get it done earlier! I do not want to touch my insurance as everything is cheap now considering my current coverage.

Thank you!

throwaway_2000

Reaction score
Thank you for your response!

1. I hope I wont be that sensitive cause my glans is always exposed as short foreskin. By any chance, do you have any other recommendations other than Airism? I am currently wearing UA breathable Boxerjocks. Because Airism ones are not so budget friendly and I would like to keep the underwear long after my circumcision and I am scared that blood stains will ruin it.

2. I will definitely book another appointment with my urologist at the first hospital if I have to go through surgery there. If I can get an earlier date at another hospital, I will seek advice and clarifications there. I really hope that I do have a choice in cut type haha.

3. My urologist appointment at the second hospital is in the following week. Fingers crossed that I can get it done earlier! I do not want to touch my insurance as everything is cheap now considering my current coverage.

Thank you!

1. I bought AIRism just because I liked the material and was in need of underwear anyways. Did a quick search on the ones you named and they should be fine granted they're not loose and hold your penis in place to restrict movement. Bloodstains wont really ruin haha, had a few drops here and there on my first 2 days but now on day 7 and just little drops of blood now because the incision site is healing and forming scabs.

2. Either ways should have a choice in cut type tbh since you're the one going for the surgery and not the doc, hopefully the second appointment you book at the first hospital will be soon so you can get it done before ORD.

3. Yeah understand, to clarify, it depends on your plan. For mine I'm on Great Eastern Total Care + Supreme Health, it's 5% co-payment payable by Medisave, for me it was $305 paid using my parent's Medisave. For Great Eastern it's on a claims-based pricing, so any claim $2k and above will result in increase of 50% in the rider premium for the following year only. Meaning 2022's Rider premium will be up 50%, then back to the original price in 2023. You might want to check with your insurance agent on this, didn't even know this was a possibility until I spoke to mine to weigh options. Out of pocket (excluding payment by medisave), I will pay about $200 total only due to the premium of rider. You also might need to check with the urologist how much the follow-up appointment (2 times) will cost. They are usually spaced 1 week and 4 weeks from date of surgery, if this falls outside your NS period, you'll probably have to bear the cost as our civil service benefits end when we ORD.

If you have anymore questions can continue to post in this thread, I'll be checking regularly till I make a full recovery haha

Mirroronthewall

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'll be going for my op in early June and have been stressing about it for a while now. I will be doing it at cgh and according to the doctor it will not be laser but a normal cut. Basically I am just concerned with the level of pain post op and how I should take care of the wound, although I do see some post in this thread that says it's not that bad as the initially feared. I hope any kind folks here could answer some of my concerns.
1) on a scale of 1 to 10 what will be the level of pain in terms of the wound, not the sensitivity, and how many days should I expect that level of pain to last.
2) I read that people have bleeding post op. Is the bleeding like gushing or just dripping out? And how do you guys prevent it from staining your bedsheets and mattress while sleeping. Also how many days should I expect this bleeding to last?
3) Finally, on which day would you say you could at least take short walks to buy takeaway food or start working from home.

Thanks all.

Heriophant

Master Member
Reaction score
1) on a scale of 1 to 10 what will be the level of pain in terms of the wound, not the sensitivity, and how many days should I expect that level of pain to last.
If you have phimosis and reached adult age.

Level of pain: 5/10 post OP due to sensitivity of head

The pain will arise when you have night/morning erection, when the stiches are STRETCHED...
2) I read that people have bleeding post op. Is the bleeding like gushing or just dripping out? And how do you guys prevent it from staining your bedsheets and mattress while sleeping. Also how many days should I expect this bleeding to last?
For me, it was dripping out after the surgery. My gown and slippers had bloood.
Put a towel/sarong below your bedsheet.
Bleeding lasted 1-2 days for me.
3) Finally, on which day would you say you could at least take short walks to buy takeaway food or start working from home.
Depends on whether you have phimosis. My first walk was my follow up appointment. After 1 week I think...
If you can WFH, you can work after yr surgery MC already.... Just sit at home only ma..

throwaway_2000

Reaction score
Pain due to the surgery itself was ard 2-3 for me, I think mostly because I was on painkillers. It also wasn't really painful, but more just sore. As mentioned by Heriophant above, night erections the first week hurts the most. I'm on week 4 now, pain has been non-existent since week 3, just sore after a full day of walking kinda deal.

Mine was wrapped up when I woke up, I was probably bleeding under the bandage, but wasn't to the point of leaking out/seeping through. The outer bandage was never soaked, only the inner one. I put was wearing SAF PT shorts, cutting out the webbing, and wore a sarong over as "barriers" to prevent blood from staining my sheets. But to my surprise I didn't rly bleed much at all, only the pants was stained. Initial bleeding stops after 1-2 days. Went for follow-up the next day and doctor removed the bandage, was bleeding into my boxer briefs for about another day then it's just discharge from the healing process.

I only rly bled one more time at about day 5 because I accidentally removed my underwear too fast and my stitch at frenulum stuck to the underwear, started dripping blood but clean gauze and abit of pressure stopped it in about 5min? Most of the guys here I assume didn't wear underwear and just slept naked/sarong the first few days, so if you do that you wont have this issue.

I had to walk quite abit on the day of and after my op because the clinic was quite far from the entrance of the hospital. No pain felt, just need to keep in mind the incision is still fresh, so just walk slowly and try to siam from people, had an irrational fear someone was accidentally gonna swing their arm into that area.

I went to tabao my own food from day 4 onwards when I had more confidence that I wouldn't split the sutures, first few days best to either cook/delivery/get family member to buy. WFH should be no issue, I was sitting upright on the night after my surgery using my PC alr.

throwaway_2000

Reaction score
Hey bros, been wondering if you guys still felt some soreness around the incision line at week 4, and if so, how long does it take to subside. Asked my doctor and he said it was fine, just probably because the sutures still havent fall out, said if by week 6 the sutures dont drop out he will ask me to go back to remove.

Zethee

Reaction score
Hi there I'm Ord later this year and was wondering if I should get circumcised and how should I go out it? Do I just book an appointment with polyclinic? Or go on a Saturday?

Hridnfingigkgngkg

Reaction score
Hey. I cannot say much about the polyclinic route, but I went through the MO route. I just brought up the issue and they will look at your dick and maybe try gliding your foreskin. Then, they will recommend you what to do from there, but you can insist on a urology referral if needed. I went to the MO as I was comfortable with the MOs in my camp and also, all male doctors so if thats a factor then yeah since you might get female doctors at polyclinics.

Freddy99

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just an update. I went to see the urologist. He said that my frenulum is tight and recommended either removing it or going for circumcision. I opted for circumcision and managed to get a date before my ORD, but it is gonna be less than 2 weeks before my ORD date.

1. Would it be possible to be healed within the 7 days of MC? Like to the point where I can walk around and do normal stuff etc.
2. The doctor did not let me choose the type of cut I am getting. He just said he will remove everything when I told him that i wanted as much skin removed cause hygeine. Is that normal?
3. Should I try other hospitals to see if they will give me an earlier date?

Thank you guys for your advice!
Same my frenulum is tight and often caused the head to bend down! Its hard to wash that area and always kana infection, so when they remove the foreskin did they cut off the frenulum as well? Oh yeah and u took medical leave how do we explain to our bosses or hr? 😔

Langstona

Reaction score
jus wondering if anyone has the same issue as me.. my penis is ultra sensitive when being touch and the sensitivity is not that type where u ejaculate prematurely, but painful to touch type which make u lose your erection hence affecting sexual activity.

Any solution to curb the ultra sensitivity other than circumcision? I read online its because the head is always covered hence have this issue?

Hridnfingigkgngkg

Reaction score
Same my frenulum is tight and often caused the head to bend down! Its hard to wash that area and always kana infection, so when they remove the foreskin did they cut off the frenulum as well? Oh yeah and u took medical leave how do we explain to our bosses or hr? 😔
Haha I haven’t had the procedure yet but thats the plan haha. I did not really say much. Just told my boss that I needed to go for an op.

Hridnfingigkgngkg

Reaction score
Hi guys. Was wondering the following:

1. Is it normal for the doctor to only review me 1 month after the surgery?
2. How long would it take for me to get back into cardio exercises?
3. For wound cleaning, what do you guys usually do? I was planning on using sea salt and warm water after I can remove the bandage (doctor did not advise me yet)? Any other tips?
4. Anyone has any experience with SGH Urology? I am gonna be doing my op there instead cause of the earlier date that they could give me haha.
5. Usually for MC, government hospitals give 2 weeks right?

Thank you for your advices in advance!

Freddy99

Reaction score
Haha I haven’t had the procedure yet but thats the plan haha. I did not really say much. Just told my boss that I needed to go for an op.
Ah okay! Update us when you done your opt! I booked a visit to the urologist frm my polyclinic gp for sept, still a long way to go for me... thank god the gp did not check, shes a pretty young lady, i would be damm paiseh

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.