advise needed for portable hotspot

blue00

Master Member
Reaction score
hi

i want to set up a portable hotspot using tpg sim card.

at first i was using tp link m7200 but it run out battery so fast .

is there any router or modem or wtever i can buy so i can insert the tpg sim card inside and let the devise run 24 hr as i can plug in power.

thanks for reading and advise if possible

watzup_ken

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi

i want to set up a portable hotspot using tpg sim card.

at first i was using tp link m7200 but it run out battery so fast .

is there any router or modem or wtever i can buy so i can insert the tpg sim card inside and let the devise run 24 hr as i can plug in power.

thanks for reading and advise if possible
I just got a simple Nokia 2720 (at around 90 bucks) to do this. You can just find cheaper 4G Nokia phone that can do the same. Simple phone, simple OS, but gets the job done. Because its got its own battery, you can also take it around easily. In my own usage, the phone lasted almost half a day as a hotspot. No point buying those expensive and not much better 4G routers.

Apex

Reaction score
If you plan to run the Hotspot 24 hours I would suggest u get a 4g router. Like that sadboy has posted.

Just make sure you get one that support tpg lte network bands.

I wouldn't recommend running batt operated mifi or phone 24 hours with charging cable connected.

Device does get quite hot when data are running non stop and charging concurrently This may case the battery to bloat due to heat.

But if for light usage a mifi and phone Hotspot should be fine. Battery life depends on data usage and network signal.

TanKianW

Master Member
Reaction score
24/7 battery life might still be a challenge for most of them out there.

For traveling, If you only want to carry an AIO unit, I recommend carrying the hefty Huawei E5770 (I use it for traveling before CB and staycation). When I reach hotel then I connect to ethernet and charge via usb.

Do check the device supported 4G specification with TPG. Just in case it does not work.

Last edited:

blue00

Master Member
Reaction score
I want to connect to IP cam in small shop . So the power need to be on.

Thks

watzup_ken

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I want to connect to IP cam in small shop . So the power need to be on.

Thks
The beauty of battery powered is that it will not be affected if power goes out and you can fall back on battery. But that is an unlikely scenario in Singapore. For 24/7 usage, I do agree that a dedicated 4G router (those connected to your mains) may be a better option, but not those Wifi egg/ portable Wifi router running on battery. I used to have one of those Huawei portable wifi router that cost 240 bucks, and I feel its a waste of money.

blue00

Master Member
Reaction score
I just got a simple Nokia 2720 (at around 90 bucks) to do this. You can just find cheaper 4G Nokia phone that can do the same. Simple phone, simple OS, but gets the job done. Because its got its own battery, you can also take it around easily. In my own usage, the phone lasted almost half a day as a hotspot. No point buying those expensive and not much better 4G routers.
What setting for the phone?
How it works?

Thks

sadboy

Master Member
Reaction score
The beauty of battery powered is that it will not be affected if power goes out and you can fall back on battery. But that is an unlikely scenario in Singapore. For 24/7 usage, I do agree that a dedicated 4G router (those connected to your mains) may be a better option, but not those Wifi egg/ portable Wifi router running on battery. I used to have one of those Huawei portable wifi router that cost 240 bucks, and I feel its a waste of money.
Now bo so expansive liao... $240 now can get very high end model.

But TPG 4G network only have the most basic one enable. so no point invest on a high end 4 G router.

bert64

Reaction score
If you want a backup battery for a unit that's meant to run 24/7 in a single place, a UPS is a better choice.
UPS batteries are designed to remain fully charged most of the time, whereas a phone or mifi battery is not.

watzup_ken

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Now bo so expansive liao... $240 now can get very high end model.

But TPG 4G network only have the most basic one enable. so no point invest on a high end 4 G router.
I can't remember the Huawei model I got, but it came with a color LCD display and it was around 240 or 250 bucks then. I think you can still find high end models at that price range. To me, even the cheapest is not really worth it because you can find cheap phones out there that can do the same. It may not support that many devices, but I only use it for a couple of devices at most.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.