Advise please: 33, SAHM, 2 Kids & Going Back to Workforce

EyecandyLollipop

Reaction score
Need opinion pls. I'm a 33yo stay at home mom (SAHM) with 2 young kids. I intend to go back into the workforce (private sector) in 2023 when my eldest will be in p1, and my 2nd child in MOE Kindergarten, in the same school.

I have a Higher Nitec cert. 5years in Govt Service. 3 years in administrative/accounting assistant role and other part time positions as well. BUT these were all way back before 2016.

I plan to get a private diploma (part time) by 2022, hoping that this will increase my chance in getting hired. Will it?

It seems that most threads that I've read here are pro local dip, and anti private ones. And this made me abit skeptical on my initial plan.
I also plan to take other short courses in 2022 to prep myself for my jobhunt in 2023.

What do you guys think? Opinion pls?

PsyClick

Reaction score
Since there are no other reply.

I think it largely depends on your expectations of your ideal job and salary.

Your experience in accounting assistant role might be questioned being out of touch for so long. And yet I feel it's foolish to spend $ on a private dip just to get up to date on the current work force.

Maybe you can help others help you by listing out your expected job role, salary. Which diploma u want to take and then we can feedback better?

Regardless If I were you I will definitely try government supported courses such as skills future first

sharminzzzzzz

Reaction score
question is do u want to go back to accounting industry? i think its not anti private but if they have a choice, they prefer local uni grad. (im from private) i feel if u have exp in govt sector, maybe u can try applying and studying at the same time (if you want a job quickly and have time and energy to study) else i would try skillsfuture courses to show i am upgrading myself and willing to equip myself better before entering the company. no point a full diploma unless a new industry imo.

dilphinus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
question is do u want to go back to accounting industry? i think its not anti private but if they have a choice, they prefer local uni grad. (im from private) i feel if u have exp in govt sector, maybe u can try applying and studying at the same time (if you want a job quickly and have time and energy to study) else i would try skillsfuture courses to show i am upgrading myself and willing to equip myself better before entering the company. no point a full diploma unless a new industry imo.
I don't know if you have read TS's first post. She doesn't even have a (basic) diploma. The jobs available for her will be the low paying and lower level ones. It's better that she obtain a diploma first in order to have better options.

firsttimebuyer

Reaction score
Need opinion pls. I'm a 33yo stay at home mom (SAHM) with 2 young kids. I intend to go back into the workforce (private sector) in 2023 when my eldest will be in p1, and my 2nd child in MOE Kindergarten, in the same school.

I have a Higher Nitec cert. 5years in Govt Service. 3 years in administrative/accounting assistant role and other part time positions as well. BUT these were all way back before 2016.

I plan to get a private diploma (part time) by 2022, hoping that this will increase my chance in getting hired. Will it?

It seems that most threads that I've read here are pro local dip, and anti private ones. And this made me abit skeptical on my initial plan.
I also plan to take other short courses in 2022 to prep myself for my jobhunt in 2023.

What do you guys think? Opinion pls?
I feel that obtaining a diploma is best before re-entering the workforce. But in some cases, poly diploma are actually cheaper and more recognised than private diplomas.

All of the 5 polys offer some version of a diploma that last to 1 year, for NITEC graduates, on a part-time basis.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.