AFTERSHOCK PC - Now featuring Nvidia 10 series graphics cards!

Knightoftheblackrose

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don’t have to prove anything to you.

You are the one who who has never overclocked a laptop GPU.

The truth is out there.

Just Google it and you will see how out of touch with overclocking reality you live in.

Sure. You could try that with a normal gtx 1060 laptop and let me know how it goes. Just dont blame me if it catches fire. GTX 460 =/= GTX 10 series, unless you got numbers and videos to prove your miraculous overclocking, I'm not buying it. I stand by my statement. Its an incredibly dangerous move that could burn the laptop mobo.

narkizy

Reaction score
I don’t have to prove anything to you.

You are the one who who has never overclocked a laptop GPU.

The truth is out there.

Just Google it and you will see how out of touch with overclocking reality you live in.

Claims to overclock a 9year old GTX 460M laptop and extrapolates to claim a 10 series laptop can be overclocked with zero substantiation. Yeah sure bro, very convincing :s13: Alot sure has changed in 9 years, about time you crawled outta that well and 2009 google pages :s13:

Peonny

Reaction score
Aftershock replacing my Prime15 to Apex15

Hi all, I'll preface my post by saying that I'm a tech idiot and all I need is a good laptop for my designing/occasional vid editing work.

I've gotten my Prime15 in late Aug 2018, and have since sent it back for repairs every other month (basically, 3-4 times in a span of 6/7 months) - all keyboard related, which AS later knowledged as a known issue SMDH. Also, audio jack wasn't detecting plugged in headphones sporadically.

Now there's a new problem, and to say that I'm disappointed is an understatement. Anyway, I wanted a final resolution cause my laptop is my source of income and constantly breaking down before deadlines makes me highly unreliable to clients. And it's very stressful!! :(

AS now wants to replace my Prime15 to an Apex15 but everything remains the same: RAM/Storage/GPU1060 etc. I guess what I'm asking is would that be a better choice? TIA!

Knightoftheblackrose

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You are the one who made the sweeping statement that laptop GPUs cannot be overclocked.

I suggest you avoid digging a bigger hole for yourself .

Obviously you know nothing ... Jon Snow

Claims to overclock a 9year old GTX 460M laptop and extrapolates to claim a 10 series laptop can be overclocked with zero substantiation. Yeah sure bro, very convincing :s13: Alot sure has changed in 9 years, about time you crawled outta that well and 2009 google pages :s13:

chiaRH

Reaction score
Hi all, I'll preface my post by saying that I'm a tech idiot and all I need is a good laptop for my designing/occasional vid editing work.

I've gotten my Prime15 in late Aug 2018, and have since sent it back for repairs every other month (basically, 3-4 times in a span of 6/7 months) - all keyboard related, which AS later knowledged as a known issue SMDH. Also, audio jack wasn't detecting plugged in headphones sporadically.

Now there's a new problem, and to say that I'm disappointed is an understatement. Anyway, I wanted a final resolution cause my laptop is my source of income and constantly breaking down before deadlines makes me highly unreliable to clients. And it's very stressful!! :(

AS now wants to replace my Prime15 to an Apex15 but everything remains the same: RAM/Storage/GPU1060 etc. I guess what I'm asking is would that be a better choice? TIA!

if your machine is defective to that degree a brand new model is of course a better choice

besides, the prime is gone, even if you want a new prime I dont think they have any inventory left to do an exchange so there is no 'prime vs apex' comparison.

narkizy

Reaction score
LE
You are the one who made the sweeping statement that laptop GPUs cannot be overclocked.

I suggest you avoid digging a bigger hole for yourself .

Obviously you know nothing ... Jon Snow

LEL. Talking about digging a bigger hole for yourself with your oldman sweeping statement of "I once overclocked my dinosaur 460 laptop .... i once overclocked ___ mystery laptop". End off crazy claim with cryptic statement, then goes on to claim Google is 'on his side' when literally EVERY google search on laptop gpu overclocking for GTX 10 series laptops CAUTIONS against it.

Literally no one in the industry using a slim/normal gaming laptop 10 series onwards dares to overclock their gpu. But hey man, whatever floats your boat. Or burns your laptop. Whichever you prefer ;) like i said, prove it. Oh wait. You cant/wont(scared your laptop will get burnt? ;) ) my guess is you probably dont even HAVE a 10 series laptop you're willing to overclock, old man. Time to crawl out of that well and smell the flames.

Peonny

Reaction score
if your machine is defective to that degree a brand new model is of course a better choice

besides, the prime is gone, even if you want a new prime I dont think they have any inventory left to do an exchange so there is no 'prime vs apex' comparison.

Thanks for your reply; either way I don't want another Prime having gone through all that, what I meant was: by giving me the Apex is that a downgrade or nah.

chiaRH

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply; either way I don't want another Prime having gone through all that, what I meant was: by giving me the Apex is that a downgrade or nah.

If you mentioned that the specs are identical then performance wise it cannot possibly be a downgrade since it's same processors, RAM etc.

It's true that in the laptop world, because of the differences in how OEMs handle the power/thermals etc, same spec laptops across different brands may perform differently (and this is a well noted point for the current turing GPU) but IMO in real world scenario you shouldn't see any huge vast differences

Compared with the prime, the apex does not have inferior display, cooling, or build quality, so you should be fine. However a lot of the 'feel' of a laptop is still subjective and since there's an IT fair now maybe you can visit the aftershock booth to see the Apex display unit. When I hands on the Apex for the 1st time I discovered the front edge was rather sharp and not to my liking, these are the kind of things other review and feedback ate 99% sure not to point out as it is so minor.

Last edited:

Peonny

Reaction score
It's true that in the laptop world, because of the differences in how OEMs handle the power/thermals etc, same spec laptops across different brands may perform differently (and this is a well noted point for the current turing GPU) but IMO in real world scenario you shouldn't see any huge vast differences

Compared with the prime, the apex does not have inferior display, cooling, or build quality, so you should be fine. However a lot of the 'feel' of a laptop is still subjective and since there's an IT fair now maybe you can visit the aftershock booth to see the Apex display unit. When I hands on the Apex for the 1st time I discovered the front edge was rather sharp and not to my liking, these are the kind of things other review and feedback ate 99% sure not to point out as it is so minor.

Thank you for all that! Good to know, I guess for the rest is down to personal preference then.

Why don't you opt for the Slate instead?

Hmm.. I wasn't given that option, maybe because it's more expensive than the Apex..?

lifeishard

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

just take it, but let them know if problem still persists...ask for full refund.

Peonny

Reaction score
just take it, but let them know if problem still persists...ask for full refund.

I will, thank you. I was legit frustrated and went to read up on lemon law hahaha, even if something crops up again I doubt they'll do a full refund. Partial maybe, to the extent of how used it is. Boo. Waste my time, energy and clients lost.

chiaRH

Reaction score
got a chance to see the nova today at IT fair

weight is quite concentrated to the rear so when you pick it up you can definitely feel its not evenly distributed, unsurprising cos of the cooling system

since the laptop is quad-vent, the I/O also takes some losses most notably there's no more SD card reader

but overall really like the design. with the exception of the aesthetics of the vent grilles it doesnt have that 'aggressive gamer' look like on Asus or MSI machines

Avolution

Reaction score
Thank you for all that! Good to know, I guess for the rest is down to personal preference then.

Hmm.. I wasn't given that option, maybe because it's more expensive than the Apex..?
Try asking for it. You'll have to top up the difference tho.

Sent from Samsung SM-G973F using GAGT

crapp0

Master Member
Reaction score
Has anybody ordered the Nova 15?

I ordered it but was told that they have some issues with it so my order had to be delayed till next week.

Not sure if it's affecting my unit, or the series as a whole since they found an anomaly.

lifeishard

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Has anybody ordered the Nova 15?

I ordered it but was told that they have some issues with it so my order had to be delayed till next week.

Not sure if it's affecting my unit, or the series as a whole since they found an anomaly.

Just do not expect them to deliver on time, if they do good for you but manage your expectation.

crapp0

Master Member
Reaction score
Just do not expect them to deliver on time, if they do good for you but manage your expectation.

They told me that I could collect it on Saturday, so I called them up yesterday and they informed me they had some issues to resolve on my unit, so it was pushed back to this a coming Wednesday, pending any further delays.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.