Air conditioning - Any recommendations please?? - Part 2

Sparcs

Reaction score
Hi,

Any users of Toshiba Youme 2.0 aircon? For system 3, they have 2 compressors:

3M31U2ACVG - Rated 6.0kW (Min-Max: 2.5-7.5)
3M41U2ACVG - Rated 4.3kW (Min-Max: 2.15 - 7.5)

Does the lower rated one means less cooling for the same FCU configuration, hence, not a good idea?

Other than costs and space constraints, would it makes sense to get 3 x System 2 vs 2 x System 3 for equivalent FCU configurations?

ie.
2 x System 3:
- 9k, 12k, 18k
- 9k, 12k, 12k

3 x System2 :
- 9k, 18k
- 9k, 18k
- 12k, 12k

Thanks!

wongminmin

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
chemical wash for $120 per fan coil unit considered reasonable?
u mean chemical overhaul? $80~$150......
if do more fcu, it will be cheaper.
if first time engage, can bargain for more discounts.
some $120+, provide free gas top up tho.

wongminmin

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, new to aircon purchasing here and would like some advice.

My 4-room's living room is about 23 square meters. Dining space is part of the living room, while the kitchen is separated from the living room by a sliding door. Dining is rare in the living room and planned aircon usage in the living room is also minimal as it will only be turned on for a short period of time during the day if the heat is really unbearable; only 1 person will regularly be in the living room too.

Based on a web BTU calculator I used, it told me that I needed about 9.2k BTU, so I picked a 12k FCU for it. The aircon salesperson I contacted told me that minimum for living room is 18k however.

Anyone can guess what's the reason for such a big difference in our estimations?

Thanks in advance!
BTU calculator is calculate based on the area needed to be cooled.
there are other factors that will affect your overall temperature in the room.
e.g
-numbers of people
-numbers of home appliance generating heat
-numbers of leaked places.... through doors, windows
-ceiling height
-the room layout.... L shape, rectangle, square etc
-the aircon position
-ambient temperature

room 9k
mbr 9k/12k
living room 18k

Imagine if your aircon is unable to cool the living room, the compressor will be throttle 100% load, wearing the components and wasting electricity bills.

the best i suggest is u get the technician to do site survey first, then he will give you the best advise.

teokankia

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to buying aircon and have been reading this thread to learn more. Really appreciate people taking the time to give some advice, it is really very helpful.

I stay in mature estate, thinking of installing aircon for the three bed rooms (system 3). One air-con will be heavy usage, the other two probably on at night only (i.e. only at night will all 3 likely be on)

I'm currently deciding between:

1. MHI: Compressor SCM80YT-S, FCU SRK35ZSX3
- Compressor is rated for 8 KW, or 27300 BTU
- FCU is rated for 3.5 KW, or 12000 BTU
- Price is $3250 for standard installation with no upgrade

2. Daikin: Compressor MKS80TVMG, FCU 3XCTKS25TVMG
- Compressor is rated for 7.3 KW, or 25200 BTU
- FCU is rated for 2.67 KW, or 9000 BTU
- Price is $3349 for standard installation with no upgrade

These are packages sold by the bigger retailers. Idk if I have flexibility to upgrade to a bigger compressor. Is there such an option?

Anyway I am thinking about a third option by a smaller company:
3. MHI: Compressor SCM80YT-S, FCU SRK25ZSX3
- Price is $3188 for standard installation with no upgrade
- The only downside is that the smaller retailer don't do credit card payment (quite nice to be able to chalk up the points now).

Which would you recommend? Is option 1 even viable for my usage?

GBC

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to buying aircon and have been reading this thread to learn more. Really appreciate people taking the time to give some advice, it is really very helpful.

I stay in mature estate, thinking of installing aircon for the three bed rooms (system 3). One air-con will be heavy usage, the other two probably on at night only (i.e. only at night will all 3 likely be on)

I'm currently deciding between:

1. MHI: Compressor SCM80YT-S, FCU SRK35ZSX3
- FCU is rated for 3.5 KW, or 12000 BTU
- Price is $3250 for standard installation with no upgrade

2. Daikin: Compressor MKS80TVMG, FCU 3XCTKS25TVMG
- Compressor is rated for 7.3 KW, or 25200 BTU
- Price is $3349 for standard installation with no upgrade

These are packages sold by the bigger retailers. Idk if I have flexibility to upgrade to a bigger compressor. Is there such an option?

Anyway I am thinking about a third option by a smaller company:
3. MHI: Compressor SCM80YT-S, FCU SRK25ZSX3
- Price is $3188 for standard installation with no upgrade
- The only downside is that the smaller retailer don't do credit card payment (quite nice to be able to chalk up the points now).

Which would you recommend? Is option 1 even viable for my usage?
It actually depends on the size of your bedrooms. For normal HDB bedroom 9000 btu is more than sufficient, 12000 btu is overkill in most cases. Outdoor compressor BTU must be able to support the total of all the bedroom indoors units BTU when switch on at the same time. For your MHI option 1, you can go for 2 x 9000 btu for 2 bedrooms + 1 x 12000 btu for your master bedroom.

1gnited

Reaction score
BTU calculator is calculate based on the area needed to be cooled.
there are other factors that will affect your overall temperature in the room.
e.g
-numbers of people
-numbers of home appliance generating heat
-numbers of leaked places.... through doors, windows
-ceiling height
-the room layout.... L shape, rectangle, square etc
-the aircon position
-ambient temperature

room 9k
mbr 9k/12k
living room 18k

Imagine if your aircon is unable to cool the living room, the compressor will be throttle 100% load, wearing the components and wasting electricity bills.

the best i suggest is u get the technician to do site survey first, then he will give you the best advise.
Thanks for highlighting various possible factors - while I did take into account a number that you mentioned, I did miss out on some others.

Ok, I have requested the technician to come down for a site survey first so that he can better understand the situation and give more informed advice after that.

Thanks again for the reply and advice!

freshlymade

Reaction score
Hi, anyone using Avolta aircon?

I ama considering to upgrade my parents house aircon to this.

skylight87

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, can I check what are the places you guys will recommend to buy aircon from?
Retailer such as Courts, Best Denki, Gain city or from air con contractor (seems cheaper).

heluim

Reaction score
Hello!

Anybody using Panasonic Inverter, CU-3S27MKZ Outdoor Unit condenser. System 3 indoor unit CS-S9TKZW.

I always facing intermittent Auto Shutdown after 2-3hours of usage. Say middle of the night the aircon auto shutdown with Red Timer Light Blinking.

Remote Control Error Code 27.

And aircon Technician Replace Outdoor Unit Senor.
But problem still exist.

The Aircon is new Manufactured Date 2018.
Still very new and got so much problem.
Panasonic like very problematic.
Last time i also got bad experience with Panasonic wash machine.
Previous I use Toshiba and Mitsubishi totally zero problem and I enjoy it so much.

So now I am suspecting outdoor unit condenser PCB spoil.
Anybody is facing the same issue or problem?
Any advise?
And PCB Replacement Price anybody have any idea or advise?

Very much appreciate for the comments and help of the people here.
Thanks a million in advance!

SuperClubby

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
New Starmex series coming soon and looks to be more efficient due to the R32 gas... Guess I'll hold on a bit longer since they hasn't even updated their site. :s13: Let's hope it won't be like their problematic FJ series :s13:

hmm.jpg

yixiang1

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
New Starmex series coming soon and looks to be more efficient due to the R32 gas... Guess I'll hold on a bit longer since they hasn't even updated their site. :s13: Let's hope it won't be like their problematic FJ series :s13:

hmm.jpg
Best guess - if re-use trunking, last time 410 gas pipes, can use these new models?

cheoweh

Reaction score
Hi,
My condo is about 16 years old. Engaged a contractor to quote for aircon replacement.
He said that since the aircon is still cold, there may not be a need to replace the piping (as replacing the piping is a big hassle due to all the false ceiling).
Is this true that the piping may be able to last another 10-15 years?
Thanks.

yixiang1

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My condo is about 16 years old. Engaged a contractor to quote for aircon replacement.
He said that since the aircon is still cold, there may not be a need to replace the piping (as replacing the piping is a big hassle due to all the false ceiling).
Is this true that the piping may be able to last another 10-15 years?
Thanks.
cost savings to you is usually not much by not replacing trunking. more of, whether u can take the dust and mess when they replace trunking and likely u need to repaint house?

Question to ask urself - how long u intend to stay there?

It is true that if the pipe condition is still good, no leaks requiring frequent gas top ups, no condensation and water dripping, the pipes can be re-used.

Alphas

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you are intending to use the aircon system for long, just replace the old trunkings. New insulation is thicker and higher K value, larger diameter copper and drainage pipes allow refrigerant and water to flow easily etc.

petetherock

Reaction score
I kept my old in wall trunking for my 10 yr old unit, and it's been fine for the past five years.

freshvibes

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

hmm.jpg
Any idea roughly when will this be available here?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.